Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Many games have a test server,where new things are tested....I wonder if 7dtd have something like this...For the moment i dont see anything in settings,but i know many game req a code to join for it..

Oh, TFP has Twitch streamers for that.

Otherwise, the next best option is to opt into the beta and select the "latest experimental" on Steam.

-A

ya know... these comments by Roland, Gazz, faatal. they could be like when some guys wife says his old 'Cuda was stolen, then 2 weeks later he's on Pimp My Ride.

And faatal could simply be Scottie'ing us in reverse but alike; under promise & over deliver.

Hell, Roland could be running a bracket and whomever creates the most noise due to their misleading/red-herring posts wins a case of Beard Ale :deadhorse::fish2::party:

Oh, TFP has Twitch streamers for that.

Otherwise, the next best option is to opt into the beta and select the "latest experimental" on Steam.

-A

Well now i cant select "lastest experimental",i know few weeks ago was aviable such an option..well i l go check tomorow to see if something change..who knows..thanks

Understood. I guess its the fact that i love this game but see nothing truly exciting announced for A17 thats getting to me. Vehicles are cool, gun mods kinda cool...everything else...meh..

I had some hope for an AI rework and bandits in A17 but that hope is pretty much gone. Im already looking past A17 to A18 in hopes there WILL BE an A18... and i hope bandits dont go missing like the behometh..

Well, let's hope you don't get hit by a truck (or a train...) before A18...

Humor aside... (or not!)

I've only been around since A15, (noob, only 3000+ hours) and have learned to manage my expectations with regards to what MAY be or NOT coming out in the next Alpha/Beta/yadda. That's a pretty good size list for A17 and they have revealed many times that they are not revealing everything. (Seriously, couldn't there be a lot of things coming that we just don't know about yet?)

I do have my own opinions about health bars, gycopters, loots, combat, yadda, (AND THE LACK OF TRAINS!) but my expectation is that, as a whole, I believe TFP will provide enough on an improvement that I will only be able to tolerate it for another 1000 hours. (for free).

And, besides, as many have mentioned, there's mods, and... Oh, yeah

- JAX -

it's the end of February. Do I need to lookup your PROMISE (rofl!) about RavenLoft 3.0! (And, guys, I know the name. It's just that it's been 2 weeks and I'm waiting for the next version that was promised! And that it WILL be a YUGE improvement!)

(Look Jax, you shifted almost ALL of the expectations for TFP to you!! Good Job. I think you (and Val, etc) should be on TFP's payroll. At least a couple cents every time someone mentions they don't mind waiting for TFP as they're playing someone's mod...)

nope, sorry... last change to experimental was 27 oct 2017 :)

https://steamdb.info/app/251570/history/

Wrong,i m pretty sure i didnt had the game buyed in 27 oct 2017... i m pretty sure not long ago i instaled this experimental but i was unable to find a server and when i create my single player server was the same alpha 16.4

Dont ask me why i was able to do that,but i was....(maybe some error or something..)

Wrong,i m pretty sure i didnt had the game buyed in 27 oct 2017... i m pretty sure not long ago i instaled this experimental but i was unable to find a server and when i create my single player server was the same alpha 16.4

Dont ask me why i was able to do that,but i was....(maybe some error or something..)

there is the link... latest experimental went offline on that date for stable a16.4b8... how does that make me wrong? thats why i posted the link.

can someone else check that link also, i know i am not reading it wrong. :)

I've never read that. Or are you talking about the time they got A16 Experimental like 3 days early?

That is what he is referring to, yes. The 3-day media blitz TFP did before A16 using the Streamers to build hype and show footage for publicity somehow equals "Streamers are Testers" in the eyes of those who are still smarting about that business practice.

When/If they get 3 days early access for A17, I suppose they'll be elevated to Developer status by the same crowd....

Understood. I guess its the fact that i love this game but see nothing truly exciting announced for A17 thats getting to me. Vehicles are cool, gun mods kinda cool...everything else...meh..

I had some hope for an AI rework and bandits in A17 but that hope is pretty much gone. Im already looking past A17 to A18 in hopes there WILL BE an A18... and i hope bandits dont go missing like the behometh..

Personally, for me... the vehicles are really cool and i also really enjoy the gun mods. im looking forwards more of the dungeon crawling. i love the towers theyve put in A16.

also the quests, moar questzs! currently , there are as many quests in 7DTD as there are in Everquest

i would absolutely love better zombie AI, bandits i like but mods can also have the bandits..

I was hoping for behemoth & ziplines, and we know those aren't likely

still excited for A17, and there are some amazing mods out there that fill the void quite nicely until A17 does drop

That is what he is referring to, yes. The 3-day media blitz TFP did before A16 using the Streamers to build hype and show footage for publicity somehow equals "Streamers are Testers" in the eyes of those who are still smarting about that business practice.

When/If they get 3 days early access for A17, I suppose they'll be elevated to Developer status by the same crowd....

Interesting. Going back to the original thread it appeared to be a foregone conclusion that they would get early access for A16 and future releases, and as you stated yourself, they would have it 1-2 weeks before it was dropped to experimental.

Now you are stating they might get it a few days before it drops. Please clarify which statements are correct?

-A

Interesting. Going back to the original thread it appeared to be a foregone conclusion that they would get early access for A16 and future releases, and as you stated yourself, they would have it 1-2 weeks before it was dropped to experimental.

Now you are stating they might get it a few days before it drops. Please clarify which statements are correct?

-A

Whichever one they go with at the end is the correct one :-)

It was originally supposed to be 1-2 weeks but they adjusted it because of backlash and they only got it 3 days earlier. So both are technically correct.

Many games have a test server,where new things are tested....I wonder if 7dtd have something like this...For the moment i dont see anything in settings,but i know many game req a code to join for it..

ikk0slhttps://prnt.sc/ikk0sl

Unfortunately 99% of the playerbase would NOT be a good tester for the game. Testing is NOT what most people think it is. Testing is repeating the same action over and over again for an hour trying slight variations to try to reproduce a bug you found.

Heck I remember at work spending 4 hours in our software working to recreate a customers bug and I finally got it. It required a specific sequence of tabs you had to visit which triggered a save to occur before an id was updated overwriting an incorrect record. Once identified it was fixed in 2 minutes.

I'd love to be a tester for 7dtd, but its a LOT more then just playing the game and saying a a bug occured.

To truly know about bugs in IT/software, need to understand this woman pictured below. She was one of the greats in information technology. The programming languages the Pimps are using such as C, C#, etc and "bugs" were birthed by this amazing woman. The internet probably would not be here without her work.

1024px-Commodore_Grace_M._Hopper%2C_USN_%28covered%29.jpg

I just about posted the generic version of that one. :p

awkward.gif

:laugh: j/k, the breaking news team is happy to share the podium w/Maharin.

So one of the items I'm really looking forward to in A17 is the ... bicycle!

I watched the bonus vehicle video when it was stream-team released recently, and was excited to hear more on the steering controls for it (mouse or keyboard). Then noticed it was a video we were all watching. I'm hoping the bicycle will have the same new options as the larger vehicles.

I was wondering if we'll find one just laying around in a garage, or will we find only bicycle parts to assemble? That would be fun too.

-A

There is what was intended to be and there is what actually happened. You are stating the intention from that post as the fact to answer a legitimate question by a new guy on the forums when you should have used the actual history as the fact. Doesn’t really matter if the original intent was for weeks of access since the reality was only 3 days. It was also the same experimental build that everyone else got and not some “test build” separate from what was released to everyone else. They also did not test or send in a single bug report to the developers. They shared their feedback and first impression reactions and I believe some of the devs watched the streams and heard that info but so did the thousands of viewers. There were no private messages of testing results from the streamers.

Intention: start streaming 1-2 weeks prior to augment the playthroughs Madmole did for publicity. Streamers were never intended to be testers.

Reality: started streaming 3 days prior same basic build that was released as experimental for publicity. Streamers were not testers.

To answer the new guy’s question there will be a test build released about a month before it goes live on Steam and automatically updates everyone. You don’t have to be a streamer to opt in to the test build. Anyone who wishes may do so and share their feedback and bug reports here in the forums. Currently, the latest_experimental beta is empty but it will be used again for A17 once the time is right.

PS: I’m all for people poking fun at the whole Stream Team and waxing snarky about how it all went down but if someone is asking a legit question it’s not fair to confuse them with acerbic comments about the past...

I'm assuming some things too mate.

Is it therefore that much of an extended reasoning to say that one might be skeptical that meaningful AI improvements (as in: the AI framework for bandits) will be part of the upcoming Alpha release?

In short, most of your assumptions are highly probable. I'm just not happy with using a word like "deduction" where unstated assumptions were used, some of them even unlikely or at least unfounded. As was the case with the post I was answering to.

Your "extended reasoning" I'm not so sure about. Not to say that being sceptical isn't without reason. But there are only a few really obvious bugs with zombie pathing, foremost the running around in circles.

But bandits don't need to make a beeline for the player, bandits have guns. Look at the zombie cop, ever see him run around in circles? Bandits need other stuff and we don't know how much of that is planned. For example:

*) They might need a faction sense so that they only attack you when you are in a different faction.

*) They might need macro-behaviour that makes them do sensible stuff in a camp.

*) They might need routines for using cover when attacked

*) They might need routines for retreating if near death.

I don't know how much "intelligence" is planned for the bandits. But I don't think the problem of bandit AI is the pathing. Other problems like smell not working could very well be a problem of some other subsystem instead of AI.

Ooops, late post to a cold discussion.

Archived