Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Deduction is the key here. AI is on a guys list , below gyrcopters, and hasnt been looked at after how many months of A17 development? 4, 5 ,6 ?

Think about that and tell me if AI and bandits have enough priority to be in A17

You are assuming 1) it isbelow gyrocopters and 2) it hasn't been looked at.

For 1, you have no way to know what priority it has. Are you basing it on his work on the gyro? From what I remember him posting, the gyro was something he did in an afternoon as a proof of concept of how easy vehicles are now with the changes in A17.

For 2nd one, where did you get that information? Do you have access to all the Devs daily schedules? Just because Fataal has just now been handed the task, that doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on at all. It doesn't even imply it. Stop adding words to what you read. The sentence "Fataal was just assigned to work on AI." means literally what it says. It doesn't mean any the stuff you are making up in your head from what you are afraid will, or will not, be in A17.

3) No information (at all) about potential AI improvements have been given out by TFP in Alpha 17 up to this point. Right?

Of course, he might not be the only developer working on AI. But why would that be the right assumption?

Name any other feature that had any information before it was practically complete? Vehicles? Nope, not a word until the new physics were in and working. Motion capture? I don't recall them mentioned until they were in and nearly complete. Roland posted at the beginning of the A17 thread that MM's rule this Alpha was no news until they were sure one way or other on new features/updates.

As for the last sentence, who assumed other devs had already worked on AI? I don't see a single post of someone making that assumption. I see people refuting your assumption but other than that I see no mention one way or the other.

Stalker sighted!

-A

Link it or it didn't happen?

- - - Updated - - -

It's kinda funny to watch people assuming what other people assume about things they couldn't know.

A bit like Schrِdinger's cat contemplating whether or not there is a mouse outside the box.

Schrِdinger's mouse is the solution.

Besides... some of us LIKE to make asses out of ourselves. :p

Poor faatal... Did he really get the job of improving the zombie AI single handed?

If so, what are the chances it will be fixed for A17?

Reading this forum, you definitely notice that this is not he's only job...

Oh well, its still gonna be fun with the new vehicles, graphics improments and quests!

I'm not worried. I've done AI before and this stuff is fun.

You are assuming 1) it isbelow gyrocopters and 2) it hasn't been looked at.

For 1, you have no way to know what priority it has. Are you basing it on his work on the gyro? From what I remember him posting, the gyro was something he did in an afternoon as a proof of concept of how easy vehicles are now with the changes in A17.

For 2nd one, where did you get that information? Do you have access to all the Devs daily schedules? Just because Fataal has just now been handed the task, that doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on at all. It doesn't even imply it.

1) The Gyro is much further along than any AI work since AI is only on his list and the Gyro is pretty far along and even showed off in a video. That part is obvious, read between the lines man. Gyro done first means it was higher in priority (right or wrong as it may be)

2) He also mentioned he wanted to fix the obvious problems which we can infer means the most basic pathing issues and running in circles, so if it was looked at already... nothing has been fixed. He is starting fresh 6 months into this Alpha. This means, no huge improvements which means no bandits

3) I hope you are not a detective.

Everything I see so far is they are working on AI in some form or another and have been for quite awhile. I mean Yeah, the pathing abilities got funkified as time went on but they already are using parts of 2 or 3? different AI systems if you want to add the mechanims stuff. Who knows what else they have hidden from prying eye's. They also have a semi working sorta faction system which is pretty neat. It at least tells me they are looking into and working on it in hopes to get it how they would like it.

Name any other feature that had any information before it was practically complete? Vehicles? Nope, not a word until the new physics were in and working. Motion capture? I don't recall them mentioned until they were in and nearly complete. Roland posted at the beginning of the A17 thread that MM's rule this Alpha was no news until they were sure one way or other on new features/updates.

As for the last sentence, who assumed other devs had already worked on AI? I don't see a single post of someone making that assumption. I see people refuting your assumption but other than that I see no mention one way or the other.

Features on which there was information before it was practically complete. You mean this Alpha-cycle? Or in previous ones too? If the latter; bandits (mentioned already in A14 if I'm not mistaken). If the former; vehicles have been shown throughout 3-4 different videos over a timespan of a couple of months. So I'm not sure if I agree on your statement. No offence intended.

And yep, MM's rule was that no news would get out about upcoming features until they were sure it would make A17. It would therefore be somewhat contradicting the same rule if, say, MM mentioned that the gyrocopter might not make it to A17.

As for my last statement; I mentioned it for completeness-sake.

1) The Gyro is much further along than any AI work since AI is only on his list and the Gyro is pretty far along and even showed off in a video. That part is obvious, read between the lines man. Gyro done first means it was higher in priority (right or wrong as it may be)

2) He also mentioned he wanted to fix the obvious problems which we can infer means the most basic pathing issues and running in circles, so if it was looked at already... nothing has been fixed. He is starting fresh 6 months into this Alpha. This means, no huge improvements which means no bandits

3) I hope you are not a detective.

1) See the 2nd sentence of my reply. Also, another way to say "read between the lines" is "make sh%$ up and pretend it is fact."

2.) Did he mention which "obvious problems" he wants to fix? It could be exactly what you think but it could be the obvious problems left at this point. You HAVE NO WAY TO KNOW.

3.) I'm not trying to solve a murder, I'm reading posts on a forum about a game.

Everything I see so far is they are working on AI in some form or another and have been for quite awhile. I mean Yeah, the pathing abilities got funkified as time went on but they already are using parts of 2 or 3? different AI systems if you want to add the mechanims stuff. Who knows what else they have hidden from prying eye's. They also have a semi working sorta faction system which is pretty neat. It at least tells me they are looking into and working on it in hopes to get it how they would like it.

Can I ask how you deduce this?

3.) I'm not trying to solve a murder, I'm reading posts on a forum about a game.

That's where you went wrong. The English language gets murdered here on a regular basis. Good news is that it is a zombie and immune to head shots.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried. I've done AI before and this stuff is fun.

While I can't claim I've ever programmed AI professionally, I will wholeheartedly agree it is fun stuff. As a mental exercise, building an expansive and fast AI system is about as tough as it gets. Know your boundaries and learn to live within them. :p

Features on which there was information before it was practically complete. You mean this Alpha-cycle? Or in previous ones too? If the latter; bandits (mentioned already in A14 if I'm not mistaken). If the former; vehicles have been shown throughout 3-4 different videos over a timespan of a couple of months. So I'm not sure if I agree on your statement. No offence intended.

And yep, MM's rule was that no news would get out about upcoming features until they were sure it would make A17. It would therefore be somewhat contradicting the same rule if, say, MM mentioned that the gyrocopter might not make it to A17.

As for my last statement; I mentioned it for completeness-sake.

Since this is A17 I don't really care what did or did not make it into or was even just discussed during A14.

The gyrocopter was a proof of concept on ease of adding vehicles that went so well MM wanted to show it off. Read any more into it than that and you are just making stuff up.

Can I ask how you deduce this?

look in the xmls.

entityclasses.xml for the task/target and faction tags.

look at the animals in the same file and how they're using mechanim for them to perform other tasks.

utilAI.xml

npc.xml for the faction break down.

The varying different ai controllers they are using as well.

All of These have been slowly being added build after build.

1) See the 2nd sentence of my reply. Also, another way to say "read between the lines" is "make sh%$ up and pretend it is fact."

2.) Did he mention which "obvious problems" he wants to fix? It could be exactly what you think but it could be the obvious problems left at this point. You HAVE NO WAY TO KNOW.

Okay I give up. U are right. Looking forward to the huge AI rework and bandits in A17! LOL.

Zombie AI

We know AI has problems. I said maybe, because it has been passed to me to improve for A17, but I make no assumptions on how much better I can make it before A17 ships. Hopefully I will fix all the obvious issues.

One thing that has always bugged me since the last change in AI in A16 was that zombies sight/light system did not take into account the gamma setting that people use. If you have the gamma set high you can see in the dark but the zombies cannot, this means that you can easily run from zombies at night early game with little or no danger. This also seems to be different indoors to outdoors as the variety of lights indoors seem to have inconsistent effects on the zombies.

The big problem comes when the zombies AI loses sight of you, the AI does not seem to have the correct course of action for it. At the moment it almost seems like it runs to the point it last seen you, runs past it, then turns to run back to that point again and sometimes ends up running in circles. It should keep running in the direction it last seen you moving in, or stand still when it reaches the point it last seen you, or at least stop running and reset to its default wondering state.

I assume the the new alert system will help all this and will allow the smell and sound will trigger the zombies interest in you again.

Archived