Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

In A16 the BedrollDeadZoneSize can be adjusted - at least on a server.

Not sure how that works in single player.

Actually, try the console command

setgamepref BedrollDeadZoneSize 30

Is it possible to make the size vary? So bedrolls have the smallest radius and kingsize beds the largets - with the normal beds in the middle.

That would give a gameplay incentive for people to make proper beds for their base (other than just the aesthetic reason we have now).

Block tweak. What if the heavy duty sewer grate (shelving in bookstore highrise) was sharpened & acted like a spike?

If both sides were sharp then could also act as a nice window where the zeds would lose limbs attacking it.

Could also provide a competitive option to the large spikes, so some visual newness. :smile-new:

---

Other idea; mini-me spikes. Have four (or nine) spikes take up a single block space, same look, just smaller.

Zeds wouldn't need to bounce up and down and their heads wouldn't disappear inside.

Again mainly just a visual tweak, but I know I'm really hoping for anything, even if just a minor visual thing, to change up bases.

---

Stubby electric fence. Something like the relay/timer, so half block thick/high?

Would then look 'right' to mount on the side of a block.

---

Probably OP'd but could potentially combo spikes and allow them to be wired up so they'd electrocute as well.

---

Dreaming but stacking mini-me spikes on top of pressure plate on top of dart trap; where darts didn't damage pp or spikes (or gore blocks?).

Is there a console cmd similar to 'gamestage' for Construction Tools?

Looking for the actual numeric value as opposed to the progress bar.

Hoping to be able to compare the 'value' of various actions; is a stone axe chopping a tree better than a wrench upgrading a flagstone block etc.

you can use my bcm mod if on a dedicated to see the percentage as a number for each skill (bc-lp <playername> /filter=skills). Nothing in vanilla for that sort of thing though.

Actually, try the console command

setgamepref BedrollDeadZoneSize 30

Does that actually update the config file so the change is permanent? Especially concerning single player.

- - - Updated - - -

You said that Madmole posted videos about another game. Were are they?

I did?

Hehe yep! If the timeframe of an event does not include the words 'millions of years', I'm not interested :D

Well, I'm always happy to help: Bandit AI will need a few millions of years of programming and fine tuning.

Here is what we know for certain: ...

Thank you for the summary. So much back and forth its hard to tell whats going on sometimes lol...

Nah, Roland was just trolling you, In reality they are implementing a golf mini game and big green safety buttons you can press whenever you feel you are in danger . The buttons stop time and an operator asks you how he can help you.

:smile-new:

With a dungeon master, you have an actual person guiding you through the game, customizing the experience based on your input. Yes it's a random, dynamic catchall element, but so what? I would call this the definition of tailor-made. ...

---------

P: "I go down the steps to level 3 now"

DM: "Wait, let me read the relevant passage in the scenario book. .... Ah, you see a dark foreboding shadow of darkness in a dark hall..."

P: "Really, how do I see that in the dark?"

DM: "I don't know. Let me get to the end of the description. maybe it is explained further on."

P: "Oh, and while I look i will cut my toe nails because I'm bored now"

DM: "Ok, whatever... Where was I? ... in a dark hall..."

--------

But, while reality might have some surprises, ideally you are absolutely correct. I concede the point and blame Unholy Joe for not writing "computer game" and TFP, because I can.

- - - Updated - - -

is there any hope for the experimental in march?

Hope is eternal, march is only 31 days.

That is what he is referring to, yes. The 3-day media blitz TFP did before A16 using the Streamers to build hype and show footage for publicity somehow equals "Streamers are Testers" in the eyes of those who are still smarting about that business practice.

When/If they get 3 days early access for A17, I suppose they'll be elevated to Developer status by the same crowd....

I was pretty sure that was what he was referring to but I didn't want to tell him to "Buy some PreparationH and get over it already" until I was sure. Of course, if it still hurts this long after I'm not sure PreparationH would do. He may need prescription strength.

DaVega is a geologist. Late feedback about cold happenings from the distant past is exactly the type of thing that excites him. He measures discussions in half-life....

Here is what we know for certain:

The third person animations Joel is showing is for player and NPCs (bandits and survivors)

Quests and (by extension) Quest Givers are being worked on

Faatal has been tasked with fixing the current problems with AI and pathing and looking into improvements

Faatal stated he's very confident he can fix the current problems by A17 and hopes to be able to put in some improvements as well.

Based on what we know I'd say it's an even shot for bandits in A17. Madmole's biggest complaint was that they looked stupid and with animations coming along that barrier will be gone. If the current problems get fixed then bandits could conceivable get into A17 as a first iteration rudimentary mob of enemies that could then be improved and fleshed out in A18 or B1-- whichever is going to happen.

So it is just up to you if you want to worry or be hopeful. I'm still hopeful

Thanks Roland. My biggest concern with Bandits is guns. I hope that most have hand weapons only. Right now facing a group of bandits with guns would be O.P.

Even one bandit with a gun would be very challenging for players still in the first few days in the game.

What they are talking about is the old lootplaceholders system in loot.xml that triggers when a prefab is spawned.

The only technical A17 change is that you can now spawn an air block and be more flexible about decorating prefabs.

Closed containers will likely always have loot and the (obvious) empties are fillers/decoration.

The loot density is then controlled with a simple % value on the lootplaceholder instead of dealing with the whacky-ish 0-2 count method with extra padding from a junk group.

It's simply far easier to balance without jumping through hoops.

May have to add an "upgrade" property to the empties so people can "fix up the place" if they set their mind to it but that's a rather minor detail and way down the list.

It's just a shame that the cost of this is interactionability. New word? I think so. :)

Thanks Roland. My biggest concern with Bandits is guns. I hope that most have hand weapons only. Right now facing a group of bandits with guns would be O.P.

Even one bandit with a gun would be very challenging for players still in the first few days in the game.

We been playing with Bandits forever now....My bandits work fine..you just have to Know how to Adjust the Values on the Configs..........

i can even get them to protect me (hire them) for a Can of food..but what do i know right :)

I dont have a college degree so i'm a moron according to them.....

This forum amazes me......

We been playing with Bandits forever now....My bandits work fine..you just have to Know how to Adjust the Values on the Configs..........

i can even get them to protect me (hire them) for a Can of food..but what do i know right :)

I dont have a college degree so i'm a moron according to them.....

This forum amazes me......

???????????

It's just a shame that the cost of this is interactionability. New word? I think so. :)
p

I suppose we could always convert the "decorative" blocks to lootcontainers via xml if we wanted to. :)

We prob. Could make the closed container version downgrade to open version after lootinv as well for added immersion. :)

p

I suppose we could always convert the "decorative" blocks to lootcontainers via xml if we wanted to. :)

Yeh, but I'm not happy with a modding solution to what was not a problem in the first place. <shrug>

Next they'll have the containers glow with the color loot that's inside of them?

p

We prob. Could make the closed container version downgrade to open version after lootinv as well for added immersion. :)

Its funny you Say that...i wrote that down after i seen the Open Cupboard view for loot

Closed cupboards>looted open cupboards..then you dont have to Check them again to see if there is loot..they should Auto reset after........"you are on it doggone it"

I did this alot with stuff like Chicken coops and traps etc....

peaking in a window to see if it's looted will help alot...

Bandits could only appear in later stages. Bandits could shoot like Elmar Fudd at first. Bandits could be slow and near-sighted at first. Or bandits could be made challenging hurdles for the starting game like dogs, wolfes and bears are.

Bot-User! Cheater! :smile-new:

Next they'll have the containers glow with the color loot that's inside of them?

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-13206494-stock-footage-exclamation-point-or-mark-rotating-green-screen-loop.html

It would be cool and interesting to me if the "closed" and unlooted containers scaled the quantity and quality of loot based on the proportion of nearby "open" and looted containers as a percentage of overall containers nearby.

After all, if 80% of the nearby containers are "open" and looted, there is a generally in the real world the idea the place has been looted of valuables.

If one found a place where 80% of the containers were "closed" and unlooted, it would be more reasonable to expect to find more in those containers as that place has not been looted or moved out of at all. Thus that place would have a better chance of good loot to find.

Can the new buff system put items in a Z's loot? Cause then I could add a very short buff that would put arrows/bolts into their loot when hit perhaps with a set percent chance of success to deal with breakage.

I know someone else suggested something similar and I have no doubt TFP are wanting something along those lines, but if the new buff system can do that it opens up a lot of possibilities.

I am VERY happy to see sticky arrows, just in case someone is keeping score, even if we can't pick them up yet.

Can the new buff system put items in a Z's loot?

I was told no by Gazz, at least not directly. Mostly because the "container" created by the zombie's death isn't actually created until after you're done killing them and you don't know what's in it until you open it. I'm sure Gazz will shoot me down if I'm wrong but that's the way I remember it. It's an order of operations problem.

Hopefully this is something they're working on for A17 and beyond.

I was told no by Gazz, at least not directly. Mostly because the "container" created by the zombie's death isn't actually created until after you're done killing them and you don't know what's in it until you open it. I'm sure Gazz will shoot me down if I'm wrong but that's the way I remember it. It's an order of operations problem.

Hopefully this is something they're working on for A17 and beyond.

yeah...its basically like that

The Entity downgrades to a loot container that looks like a dead Zed or anything you want to make it.......

i always like the Idea of Backpacks because most survivors will be wearing one

Thats why i loved the UMA Zeds and all the Clothing randomization....I made sure almost all my Zeds had backpacks on.

This the same idea as open/closed cupboard (looted and not looted)

which is basically how i plan to impliment it.

Archived