Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I keep seeing posts about wanting cars, trucks and I keep going how are you supposed to drive it on the roads in RGW? Travel a road, there is a cliff to your left and a drop-off on the right, a very long fall down. Two cars are blocking the way down, on a bike you can skit it by going up the slide of the cliff. Further down is two separate stacks of blocks, also several trashbags. All are blocking the road and a car can not be driven on a road like that.

Are you planning on stopping at every roadblock and wrenching the cars, bust blocks and remove the bags of trash? You can't drive a car over the ground, too many boulders, speed bumps (little dead trees), maple and pine trees that will not only slow you down but will stop you from going anywhere.

So, how in the world would a car be of value? Dune buggy in the desert and maybe useful in the plains, but a car in anyplace? I just don't see it as possible.

I keep seeing posts about wanting cars, trucks and I keep going how are you supposed to drive it on the roads in RGW? Travel a road, there is a cliff to your left and a drop-off on the right, a very long fall down. Two cars are blocking the way down, on a bike you can skit it by going up the slide of the cliff. Further down is two separate stacks of blocks, also several trashbags. All are blocking the road and a car can not be driven on a road like that.

Are you planning on stopping at every roadblock and wrenching the cars, bust blocks and remove the bags of trash? You can't drive a car over the ground, too many boulders, speed bumps (little dead trees), maple and pine trees that will not only slow you down but will stop you from going anywhere.

So, how in the world would a car be of value? Dune buggy in the desert and maybe useful in the plains, but a car in anyplace? I just don't see it as possible.

while i do agree Janna, i keep wondering... who the hell lost all of those cinder blocks that are scattered everywhere. trash can blow around but cinder blocks cant. :)

i would prefer to see less of the blocks and more pot holes to worry about because there will not be anyone upgrading roads during an apocalypse.

Thanks! On another note, I decided to grow my beard out.

Oh, is this a bugfix release of the new beard? Do I need to reinstall? Is the beard final or will there be a bugfix release later? Can we have a feature where the beard wobbles when you speak? Where's the xml for the beard? Modest Knnn wants an answer, hopefully yesterday

The plan for that is 3x3 meter sections or whatever size works out, a back, a middle you can extend as much as needed and a front. Maybe a smashed variant, we'll see. It would be a dev block but still it should help. We're doing crushed cars too that Bob uses for his walls.

Is this about the POI or the beard? I like the smashed beard variant.

:smile-new:

It only becomes extended storage when you find a basket, which, with the new random gen and the almost extinct working stiff situation Ive experienced so far, isn't always the easiest thing to find.

*SPOILER*

You can wrench lootable baskets to get one for the minibike. Lootable baskets are in one corner of the small shops you find in practically every city.

I really really hope there will be no gyro,- or helicopters in the game ever. They just dont fit in imo.

Cheers

I think helicopters with wrecking balls flown by enemy attackers would counter against the type of strong above ground fortifications that players can build.

Of course the protection of living permantly underground needs equal measures to balance later game difficulty the best i can suggest is enemy driven caterpillars with jack hammers.

But wrecking ball's on helicopters will be in danger of being damaged by players from bullet and rocket projectiles maybe the addition of barrage balloons for added AA defense.

I dont think its OTT and its not as i am suggesting letting NPC's fly in at 140 mph with apache gunships equipped with sidewinder missile's.

I understand that an influx of enemys that are not zombies may not be what the game is about or desired direction it will head in and is only a suggestion.

Good point to think about about that a car isnt viable on all surfaces and routes but it depends how resticted it is as having the freedom of the bike might not be that bad to balance things out but i do agree that how worlds are generated at the momment makes the car seem unviable to use.

How about Homebrew rockets where items that are required to be transported across the map are put in a payload container in the rocket and the player need's to calculate trajectory for LZ taking into account of launchpad elevation wind strength/direction etc.

while i do agree Janna, i keep wondering... who the hell lost all of those cinder blocks that are scattered everywhere. trash can blow around but cinder blocks cant. :)

i would prefer to see less of the blocks and more pot holes to worry about because there will not be anyone upgrading roads during an apocalypse.

@unholyjoe, you are spot on, more hole, random spikes placed by survivors and no cinderblocks. they truly don't make sense. I can get rocks anywhere.

roads should have:

-- things to give you flats

-- holes

-- spikes/fence

-- random trash piles

-- Cars

-- zombies (sleepers) in Cars.

-- traps like cars that explode and need to be disarmed.

On a more serious note, I wish the trader POIs would be functional. I mean, any trader base I replicate would be wiped out on horde night.

You can protect a Area, but once done its not again editable

(Not sure, maybe it was vanilla or coppis mod that allow this)

maybe its easyer to make a Bunker and spawn a Trader in it

On a more serious note, I wish the trader POIs would be functional. I mean, any trader base I replicate would be wiped out on horde night.

We don't know the full picture.

If bandits will have their own base and people maybe traders will have their own NPCs protecting those walls, and so on.

an Endgame to a sandbox is tricky, as by definition its non linear. However I think a good alternative would be to include the restart as an in game option that makes sense. For example- You build you base, get to the "boredom factor", however there is still a government structure holding on (thats where the supply crates come from). They have seen your progress and want you to "tame" another area for repopulation. Once you get that quest option in a crate, you can activate it, go to a designated Evac, the game then refreshes (random seed?) and you respawn with some random gear in crates (plus what was on your toolbelt).

How many starting points for refugees can you build?

As a player who likes exploration, I would love a mode like this! One nice thing about this idea is it could open up the random world generator to more extremes, like surviving a week in an all-snow world. Choosing what's most important to bring with you, not knowing what's ahead, would be really interesting.

From a game immersion perspective and visual perspective, the bedrock indestructible traders always seemed kinda silly. Now, with turrets, it wouldn't really matter as much. The walls would effectively be actively defended, even if only by decoration. So would make more sense why they traders never seemed to have to worry about blood moon and such.

I recommend reducing the indestructible protected zone to the trader's trailer itself. It's the ideal option so long as protection is necessary, as the trailer is already in place as a strong-looking, self-contained, well-defined area within the trader's base.

Maybe airdrops wouldn't start falling until you do some kind of action at a cell tower or radio dish. Something to let whoever is dropping supplies know you're alive.

I think that would really hurt their purpose. The most important airdrop is the very first one, that comes on Day 4 by default. On that day, the stuff in the crate is typically high value, even life saving for you. But by the time you've advanced enough to start operating electronics or machinery, you barely care what's in the airdrops anymore.

As a player who likes exploration, I would love a mode like this! One nice thing about this idea is it could open up the random world generator to more extremes, like surviving a week in an all-snow world. Choosing what's most important to bring with you, not knowing what's ahead, would be really interesting.

I think that would really hurt their purpose. The most important airdrop is the very first one, that comes on Day 4 by default. On that day, the stuff in the crate is typically high value, even life saving for you. But by the time you've advanced enough to start operating electronics or machinery, you barely care what's in the airdrops anymore.

I moved mine from 4 to 7th day. never actually tried default for air drop, seemed too easy.

btw I am giving up my worship of the RNGesus. half the cars in Navezgane are gone, scrapped out. only found 3 motors. I shall now see if I can sacrifice Trader Rekt to Lootsifer and see if I get better drops from cars. usually dont have this prob.

As a player who likes exploration, I would love a mode like this!

I would like a Naveszgane with 4 "Entrances" if you folow such a path you can move to a other Randommap (and return)

On Multiplayer your savegame would be send to a other server (if Both are (by the admins with a password) connected )

Means Navezgane for Bases and RWG for nomads, but would need cooperating servers

That new trader base looks cool but... Realistically it's not really going to look like that is it? That would be a lot of junk items added. My wish list is more zombie types, more weapons and firearms, hazmat suits that work.

My idea for the radiation zone is that it has a lot of cities and POIs in it and you are far more likely to find better loot and rare loot... However it's super dam dangerous. All the zombies are feral, the streets are filled with walkers and buildings filled with sleepers, dog, and vultures are common as are radioactive zombies. Maybe even add zombie wolves and dire wolves to this are specifically along with some other unique zeds. I kind of miss cities actually being well... dangerous and creepy, they don't even have the creepy atmosphere now.

Also a better creative mode which includes instant block breaking and zoning, so we can control what spawns where and what loot you can get and how many spawn. With a world and POI sharing system. I wanna create a realistic looking city with sewers and subway systems.

Also, zombie fireman that swings an axe, zombie riot police and swat zombie. With the military and swat zombies carrying guns which they haphazardly fire like in Resident Evil 6. Putrid exploding zombies, they don't do as much damage as cops but they always run. They are horribly bloated with their guts visible.

I would say check this out for zombie ideas http://www.vgamerz.com/dying-light-meet-your-enemies-all-zombie-types/

Archived