Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I do like the idea behind the sleeper volumes and how they are used to spawn zombies at their spawn locations. It makes POI building a lot of fun and not very difficult. However, I am thinking that perhaps they need to add single-use spawners in POIs. Once activated, the spawner destroys itself and can never be used again for the duration of the game. Either that, or add an extra xml attribute to the spawner that represents whether or not the spawner is recycled. Then, replace many of the sleeper spawns with these.

Agree as well. If I clear out a house and board it up, there should never be another zed spawning back in unless something got through from the outside and its clearly visible.

Dont forget to yank out your entire core system and redo it a few years in. I hear thats the road to a truly successful launch ;)

You would be surprised how fast systems change during development. There is an application we launched and the core system was already outdated 1 year after its release. :)

I really have to say thank you because the game is amazing!

Faatal, MM, Gazz, I have a death wish, or two. I think diseases of zombie damage should occur more often. It will put the player in a situation that he has to decide if it's really necessary to engage in a fight. That could be an option on game menu such as the zombie stances (run, not run etc.). The game is a survival game so choices like that increase this aspect.

Other thing I want in the game is more ways to deal with zombies without destroying them. Sometimes, I want to explore or scavenge but I do not want to level up (fast).

If you can immobilize zombies (with a shocking weapon or tying them with a rope) or delude them (using clothes soaked with zombie blood) that would give another flavor to the game and will really please people who have a play style more focused on construction, for example.

I really appreciate the news on regulating the gain amount of XP on menu. I do not like to rush (in my opinion we should not gain more than 1 level per day!) so an alteration like that will be really good for me!

Keep with the good work, guys!

I'm pretty sure that games that use the steam workshop can be manually modded as well. I'm only assuming this because I've seen game in steam workshop also have mods on Nexus mods you can download so it is an assumption on my part.

If the game does not specifically access the workshop API to determine the state of mods then you can definitely bypass the delivery system of the Steam workshop and "simply" write the data into the right places yourself.

For online games you may not want one guy playing "his" mod on your server when everyone else is playing the mod that the server is running...

Since the original suggestion was that servers should distribute the actual mod content (graphics, sound...) to clients this is a completely different topic.

If the game does not specifically access the workshop API to determine the state of mods then you can definitely bypass the delivery system of the Steam workshop and "simply" write the data into the right places yourself.

For online games you may not want one guy playing "his" mod on your server when everyone else is playing the mod that the server is running...

Since the original suggestion was that servers should distribute the actual mod content (graphics, sound...) to clients this is a completely different topic.

Ah ok, makes sense.

I'm thinking if I want to read about *your game* I'll click on a thread about it. Stop ♥♥♥♥ting up this one and make your own space to self fellate yourself.

I was just answering questions.

The last couple of pages should end up in the off-topic thread, if not be deleted altogether anyhoo.

Can we get dismemberment to work? Or more heads exploding? I miss that.

I been playing with the numbers on this. Seems you can do enough damage to legs to make them into crawlers.

But unfortunately the graphic for the missing leg/legs is removed.

I do remember that when arms were blown off the zeds still attacked and you got hit.

Perhaps they are working on right and left swings for when this happens. and perhaps a bite animation?

But I do not see why they removed the leg dismembered graphic.

Hopefully they are working on this issue and bring it back in full.

I have heard some interesting things about modding, some stuff that may actually deter me from actually continuing modding this game. Would be nice to get some kind of guideline or plan for the future when it comes to mods, even though we know its not a priority for them right now.

It isn't a deal breaker for me at all, just don't want to waste time on assets if I can't ever get them to people.

For me its less about making my mods "look pretty" and more about the functionality and features they offer. I'm totally fine with built in assets, but if it will be an option then I would start looking into it.

If the game could simply say "hey this server requires X mod, download now?" that would be baller AF.

It isn't a deal breaker for me at all, just don't want to waste time on assets if I can't ever get them to people.

For me its less about making my mods "look pretty" and more about the functionality and features they offer. I'm totally fine with built in assets, but if it will be an option then I would start looking into it.

If the game could simply say "hey this server requires X mod, download now?" that would be baller AF.

Getting your assets to people is as easy as them downloading the modlet. so whether on a server or in sp they STILL have to download a modlet to get localization and icons.

But i get what you're saying. Some people don't care if icons for wheat look like potatoes etc.

Im with you though, the more they can push from the server the better it is. Project Zomboid and Conan both will either install mods from servers for you or point you to them so you can install. Id love a system even remotely similar to this.

Personally I consider the current form of RWG to be bugged and I think it would be great if it was fixed before the release of 17.2. I know it isn't a top priority right now but each time you all release a new version there are new bugs to fix which basically creates a Catch 22 situation. He can't fix RWG because of the bugs, bugs get fixed release next alpha, Oh wait now we have more bugs no time to fix RWG.

I think you are doing a great job so far my only complaints are the fact that forge houses seem to be gone , level gating and the RWG issues. I look forward to what is to come in the future thanks for listening.

I should of said "high priority" bugs or features. Improving RWG is a high priority for him.

I just like running a public server that anyone can join on a whim and not have to even understand how mods work or to install them.

I like to keep the bar as low as possible so people can just connect and have fun. Most of my mods are about making harvesting and crafting less tedious so one can easily focus on base building and management. In previous alphas it was very easy to build a large steel base by the 3rd or 4th week. Now it’s basically impossible with vanilla settings. Mind you I’m not complaining at all, just stating a fact.

Since 75% of the game for me is base building and terraforming the area around it, I focus my mods on making it easier to do so without it taking hours and hours. Simple tasks like lawn mowing are tedious at best without a mod. Replacing stone blocks or even dirt is painstakingly slow without modding the auger.

Adding new items and blocks helps keep the variety there and for some people they love to hoard. If I can make stuff pretty with custom icons or textures, that’s just a bonus for emersion.

Bulletproof glass. Weight 10, holds 60. HP 3k.

problem is that 60 is allready too much.

Since the zombies cut through Steel like butter i try to make a si that will not collapse by loosing too many foundatation blocks.

The problem is that with every pillar you add you add the same time Weight that kill the si if the pillar is lost.

Hay, Sand , Gravel are not really a good idea (imagine a griefer pickup a complete layer of hay = bye bye basis)

Since the zombies cut through Steel like butter i try to make a si that will not collapse by loosing too many foundatation blocks.

The problem is that with every pillar you add you add the same time Weight that kill the si if the pillar is lost.

Hay, Sand , Gravel are not really a good idea (imagine a griefer pickup a complete layer of hay = bye bye basis)

Just use the floating base trick and defeat SI ;)

If you make the pillars out of steel (heavier then R-concrete) , bulletproof glass will hold only 3. Closest i can

think of.

edit: You could also use halfblocks back to back to double weight.

or quarterblocks (poles).

my problem is that if i dont want to build "a Brick" i allready go into the border regions the SI can support.

3 more per pillar = 1 Block less i can use to escape the brick shape

And that with zombies that

Utility worker fearal versus my undestroyable 7000hp door

8DF51B1B1CF0ED42FCF5CBDADC082CFC44670932

20CD3E8122271BB5BE28777BD5CC3498E5980E4C

On Scavenger 4 of them need 10-15 seconds to destroy the 7000hp door

On Nomad 4 of them need 11-17 seconds to destroy the 7000hp door

On Insane 8 of them need 4-7seconds to destroy the 7000hp door

(took arround 10 Samples for each)

I am one of those nasty players who don't like the nights of the red moon. Whatever the version of the game, I always preferred to take refuge in high building or ride my bike while waiting for dawn. But I do it because the game allows me to do it.

Now, let's imagine something: if, at each red moon, the air became poisoned (continued loss of health) except in the range of the keystone ... we would have to stay close to the keystone and our base.

I hope no dev will read that.

I am one of those nasty players who don't like the nights of the red moon. Whatever the version of the game, I always preferred to take refuge in high building or ride my bike while waiting for dawn. But I do it because the game allows me to do it.

Now, let's imagine something: if, at each red moon, the air became poisoned (continued loss of health) except in the range of the keystone ... we would have to stay close to the keystone and our base.

I hope no dev will read that.

Hehe. In A16 I got fed up with trying to make it challenging, so I made it a rule that every other horde night I couldn't leave my base for a week until the next bloodmoon. Then on off-weeks, I could only leave on the 5th day. I also never turn off any of the 6 forges inside the base. Never made anything fun -.- lol

Archived