Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Just gotta say I love the high frequency with which a statement can flicker between speculation, reality and wishful thinking here. LOL

The idea that fataal could not get pathing to work on a 1m scale (aka the most basic function of A*) is somewhere on the scale from facepalm to priceless.

Just gotta say I love the high frequency with which a statement can flicker between speculation, reality and wishful thinking here. LOL

The idea that fataal could not get pathing to work on a 1m scale (aka the most basic function of A*) is somewhere on the scale from facepalm to priceless.

Gazz, I speculate it's time to update that old outdated lamp in your avatar to LED.

Maybe between reality, their imagined reality, and their wished-for reality.

I particularly love that you can't argue with their imagined reality. After all, they control the rules of that world, and internal consistency never seems to be a requirement.

It very well could. Our existence could very well be some pan-dimensional mad god's simulation.

Quantum Mechanics is beginning to validate some of that (not sure about a mad god though as everything fits too well).

Eight dimensions, all interrelated, like DNA which is now seen as a network of information and not just sequential code.

Life is amazing.

Maybe between reality, their imagined reality, and their wished-for reality.

I particularly love that you can't argue with their imagined reality. After all, they control the rules of that world, and internal consistency never seems to be a requirement.

I am still thinking about the Cool 50 mil they made so far...Man,the things i could of done with money like that.....

The juxtaposition of these three posts is priceless.

Quantum Mechanics is beginning to validate some of that (not sure about a mad god though as everything fits too well).

Eight dimensions, all interrelated, like DNA which is now seen as a network of information and not just sequential code.

Life is amazing.

It fits together well because the mad scientists behind quantum mechanics are as mad as the mad god.

Yes, my bad.

Still, that's the reality unless proven otherwise by devs

That's not how speculation works. It doesn't just become "the reality" when someone with zero knowledge of the design choices, and why they were made, just blurts something out. You are just spouting nonsense to get a response on a Forum. It's kind of pathetic really.

Thanks Gav. I had thought the 'Rise and Fall' would be a pretty good hint. (Meg must have been in deep thought mode...)

I am not a 'big fan' of RTS. (That doesn't mean I don't have hundreds, or that I don't like any. [...]

I didn't even know that Civ6 has 'R&F' as a name. The reference to Gibbons 'Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire' was my only hypothesis and the one I was sure was false. Hey, why would I think it could refer to a **game** in this forum? :smile-new:

I very much prefer turn-based as well, especially when it comes to RPGs. RTwP is acceptable, but even the best action RPGs were dropped by me after maximum 5 hours playing them. I only played two RTS for a bit longer, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft, but dropped Warcraft 2 for example as soon as I needed to micromanage troops with special abilities.

That's not how speculation works. It doesn't just become "the reality" when someone with zero knowledge of the design choices, and why they were made, just blurts something out. You are just spouting nonsense to get a response on a Forum. It's kind of pathetic really.

As much as I agree with a gnome...ignorance is bliss, let him have his blissful moment it if gets him thru high school.

To those arguing about the 1blockgap gate

Here is my position:

It is a feature that the majority of players want

It is a feature that TFP want

The reason why it is not in the game yet, it is because it is hard to implement

Its been done in a mod, doggy's move just fine thru 1 block gaps, as do crawlers. TFP decision to not implement it is their choice in game design, not that they cant. Ignorance is bliss. Please grow up.

Its been done in a mod, doggy's move just fine thru 1 block gaps, as do crawlers. TFP decision to not implement it is their choice in game design, not that they cant. Ignorance is bliss. Please grow up.

Have you been keeping up with the statements by the devs?

It's not a design choice, it's a matter of priorities. Far more enemies use two block gaps than one, two block gaps are also harder to implement. It makes sense to do two block AI first then one, otherwise the only enemies you'd have would be dogs and crawlers.

I have a comment.

The 7 Days Wiki is a resource I have used time and time again. I am guessing that most, if not all, of the info on there will be changing, if not completely replaced with a17.

I hope that the contributors for that wiki update everything that will need to be.

When it drops and we get the info in I will be happy to contribute to that effort.

So according to CDPR it's never too early to do optimizations. Of course they are AAA title company. But TFP might want to make a note of that. Some poorly written code can't be optimized, but must be rewritten.

Wait a moment. CDproject is talking in this article about optimizations to their inhouse graphics engine. That engine was used in witcher and got further developed for cyberpunk. We are no longer talking about "early" for this engine. For the most part they are doing nothing else than continuosly optimizing the engine.

Agree, and that's my own experience as well. What you say applies to code that does something that it wasn't designed to do in the first place. Then no matter how much you optimize it, it won't ever work well and fast.

It applies to any code that is a placeholder, intermediate step or an experiment. 7D2D was full of code like this until lately, I assume.

What I wanted to say, this excuse of badly performing game because it is EA or Alpha is a bad excuse. I never needed more than 16GB of RAM to run _anything_ before. And this game, can't even properly use more than 16GB on Linux because of old version of Unity.

(cheap shot) Sounds a bit like a famous Bill Gates quotation starting with "640k" :smile-new:. Do you need 16G in vanilla or only with mods?

If you like slower paced RTS, have you ever played Supreme Commander? That game has quite slower pace and requires quite a lot of actual tactical thinking without having to micromanage too much. I wish they would make new RTS games like that today. A proper mix-up with SupCom and CIV with destroyable/buildable voxel world would be my dream strategy game...

I do have it. I think the big reason I jumped on it was because it was the one of the first RTS's to support multiple monitors. Really liked that.

Vitamin's assertions about 16 GB are simply wrong. In my house there are several computers, including mine (16 GB, 7ish years old) and another (4 GB, 10ish years old) that both can play 7DtD just fine. The older one does not play on ultra-high settings, obviously, and does not like to be the game host, but it does play fine.

Archived