Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So according to CDPR it's never too early to do optimizations. Of course they are AAA title company. But TFP might want to make a note of that. Some poorly written code can't be optimized, but must be rewritten.

Yes, you can optimize code early - at the risk of throwing it all away if a significant design change eliminates the code you are optimizing. An experienced architect and design team can minimize that risk.

-A

Can you guys give us an ETA on alpha 17 at lease? starring to run out of patience. Days? Weeks? Months?

Nope. They did that once already. Something happened, and it didn't work out. Then you (the community) got bent and pulled out the tar and feathers.

It won't happen again I can assure you. You guys should be thankful for the information they are still giving about working on it.

Yes, you can optimize code early - at the risk of throwing it all away if a significant design change eliminates the code you are optimizing.

Agree, and that's my own experience as well. What you say applies to code that does something that it wasn't designed to do in the first place. Then no matter how much you optimize it, it won't ever work well and fast.

What I wanted to say, this excuse of badly performing game because it is EA or Alpha is a bad excuse. I never needed more than 16GB of RAM to run _anything_ before. And this game, can't even properly use more than 16GB on Linux because of old version of Unity.

Aside from a few (possibly accidental) seconds in an early video which showed new aquatic plants TFP have been very careful not to show large bodies of water in anything we've seen. I have a suspicion there's been some work done to the aquatic biome although I doubt water physics have been changed yet.

They haven’t shown a new quest from start to finish, which would be a natural choice for a video if they weren’t holding anything back. Yet, we’ve seen the new ‘dungeon-style POI’ environments where these new quests would take place. I’m certain there’s something significant about these quests we haven’t seen yet, and it’s most likely character based. In short, I think whatever boss these quests have will surprise players. It won’t be a behemoth, but I don’t think it’ll be a zombie we’re familiar with.

Nope. They did that once already. Something happened, and it didn't work out. Then you (the community) got bent and pulled out the tar and feathers.

This is kinda funny actually. For how much of a tough guy attitude and snarky response type of guy madmole is, (which I kinda enjoy to be honest) he is afraid to upset a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum, who are most likely upset already?

/chuckle

This is kinda funny actually. For how much of a tough guy attitude and snarky response type of guy madmole is, (which I kinda enjoy to be honest) he is afraid to upset a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum, who are most likely upset already?

/chuckle

I doubt afraid is the the right term. More like doesn't want to deal with it. And I can not blame him.

Chess is all about working with restrictions.

Well, that's really true of all board games isn't it... Pieces also dont move on there own, while zombies do.

I'd say a computer game is much more involved than a board game, since you not only have to provide rule restrictions. You also need live events, where a board game can relay on "draw a random" card or similar.

Chess is all about working with restrictions.

Unfair comparison.

Chess rules are by design, "7DTD can't crawl trough 1 block gap" is because you can't code AI to do that. Not because by design you think it is better for the game to have such restriction. Nobody actually thinks that.

Unfair comparison.

Chess rules are by design, "7DTD can't crawl trough 1 block gap" is because you can't code AI to do that. Not because by design you think it is better for the game to have such restriction. Nobody actually thinks that.

Unqualified opinion.

Of course 7dtd can't crawl though a 1 block gap, the gap is in the game while 7dtd _is_ the game. Unless somebody has managed to make Ouroboros code I doubt any game could do it, even a quantum computer has its limits.

What makes you think that zombies will never be able to crawl through a one block gap? They used to so it's most definitely possible. It'll take quite a bit of jiggery-pokery to make it happen under the new AI system but hell, I could do it so I have little doubt that fataal's going to manage it.

I doubt afraid is the the right term. More like doesn't want to deal with it. And I can not blame him.

Right now? More like doesn't spend the time to deal with it.

Unfair comparison.

What makes you think it's impossible to teach the AI to do that? A* totally can. It's just not part of the design and would "break" too many POI to even worry about.

It won't happen again I can assure you. You guys should be thankful for the information they are still giving about working on it.

You know this happens with every A release. They give a date, overshoots it, the community dies, vows not to release dates again u til the next A release comes out. This has happened for the last 8 or 9 A releases that I can remember.

Right now? More like doesn't spend the time to deal with it.

What makes you think it's impossible to teach the AI to do that? A* totally can. It's just not part of the design and would "break" too many POI to even worry about.

With Break POI you mean the purpose of those Dungeon style POI and not that they start collapsing right? But if Zombie use 1x1 and not player than the purpose is still there and even become dangerous ?

Unqualified opinion.

What makes you think that zombies will never be able to crawl through a one block gap?

You are unqualified to judge my opinion.

I didn't say that.

What makes you think it's impossible to teach the AI to do that?

I don't think that. I just said I think you guys can't do it.

If you could do it easily, you would have done it already, but you haven't. Maybe one day you will, I hope.

You are unqualified to judge my opinion.

I didn't say that.

I don't think that. I just said I think you guys can't do it.

If you could do it easily, you would have done it already, but you haven't. Maybe one day you will, I hope.

Hey, I know it's Monday morning and all but that seems a little disrespectful.

/chuckle

Careful man. Else he will come in and tell you that he will beat you in DOOM or whatever game he was playing years ago ;) That, plus he could beat 5 guys simultaneously.

I think “smooth as a zombie’s butt” is achievable. Thanks for keeping your expectations reasonable. If you had said “baby’s butt” I would’ve been worried about your level of disappointment.

In the words of the other A17 (Apollo 17), astronaut Schmitt would say, again: "What was that?" :)

More politically correct would have been: "Smooth as Al's Marina separating you from your Duke's."

***At Al's Marina and Last Bank on Earth corporation, giving us your Dukes's is a solemn and joy filled duty!"***

then they need to make an list on main page what they need to do before launch make it red and what they have done green so whe can see how far they are so whe can see it how long it takes this is how swgemu doing it and nobody asked how long it takes vor next release/update

Archived