Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

A few criticisms that were surely received haha, no offense. Are they so limited? In basic models they are even aberrant compared to other games, just as the 3D lods are a disaster in everything that is overloaded. They cover windows in buildings so that they cannot be seen in the background! oh really? alpha22? Are they still like this? There was a mod like that. That's fine, but another thing is that old alpha trees consume a lot of video. Modders do magic on models with their game. These are the only trees. "treeFirLrg01, treeMountainPine31m." and I believe some more, the map of them can be overloaded and it does not take away as many fps as the others...!

now I see my gyro... in alpha 22. hahahahaha remove.xml

armpG9d_700b.jpg

Edited by Sarakatunga (see edit history)

On 2/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Maybe a cave or a cougars bar.  Ether one would be neet

All right, cougars, cougars, cougars! Come on in cougar lovers! Here at the Kitty Twister we're slashing survivors in half!

Also, any news on water improvement? 

Annnd does the window thing also prevent lag, when approaching Dishong or other major infested areas, when zombies spawn? 

The majority of this seems to be art with some POIs, and I'm all here for it. I'm very happy to see an updated model for the piggy, hopefully it decides to get added back in. The armor rework is something I'm skeptical on, I'd like the standard armor to remain in the game, while the sets are something that you slowly obtain over time. It would be a shame to have 1 piece of this set, another piece from a different set, then 2 pieces from a completely different set, it adds up overtime and just becomes a clutter and a mess. Overall, very happy with what I'm seeing so far!

Yeah, I think the new store is good but it isn't like there are a lot of choices, making you will constantly be finding the same armor pieces over and over again.  That doesn't sound good to me.  Leaving the current stuff in game and having these sets over bonuses that make having the complete set be worth something sounds better to me.  You would find normal stuff regularly and the set about pieces would be uncommon and take time to complete.

But that isn't what they seem to be planning.  So we will see.  As someone mentioned, clothing stores will become places where you get nothing but tons of cloth and many copies of the same limited numbers of armor sets.  I like the look of the new armor but there just isn't enough variety to make it make sense to remove the current cutting and armor.

Another issue is the loss of things with unique functions like looting goggles or the suit. In fact with no clothes and therefore no suit? How does that Dirty Harry perk book work at all?

I mean, I think losing the ability to play pretty princess character Barbie makes the game more boring even without functional losses, and goes against the good and correct industry trend towards more player character customization, not less. But now we have these weird functional questions on top where some @%$# is going to break unless we're getting some kind of replacement or the related stuff is also getting reworked.

44 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

Another issue is the loss of things with unique functions like looting goggles or the suit. In fact with no clothes and therefore no suit? How does that Dirty Harry perk book work at all?

I mean, I think losing the ability to play pretty princess character Barbie makes the game more boring even without functional losses, and goes against the good and correct industry trend towards more player character customization, not less. But now we have these weird functional questions on top where some @%$# is going to break unless we're getting some kind of replacement or the related stuff is also getting reworked.

Books that would no longer apply under the new outfit system would be changed, much how books and even perks were changed under the new crafting system for A21.

Yeah, books and perks just change to something else.  That isn't really a problem.  It is the other things, including lack of character customization that is not so good.  As I said, I like the new armor sets.  They look great.  But if that is all we get?  That is depressing.

I personally am kinda glad for the armor change, it will change things up and can change things about the game, all armor has a uses. Unlike not were you got, cloth (goat) military or steel. Maybe iron or mixing up

Cuz whole wears boots unless your warm or cold? Goth boots? Sweat shirt vs normal shirt, 

The one thing I don't is nitpicks, like not having a helmet on the commando, the goofy mask for plant fiber, why can't we wear overlord armor, 

On 2/27/2024 at 4:25 AM, Gronal said:

Ah yes back to checking the dev diary daily cos I don't want to miss anything just to have to scroll through pages of irrelevant chatter and bickering. Love it.

14 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I didn't realize the difference between hopping and jumping was going to be a focus of A22, but here we are. 🤷‍♂️

We’re doing the overflow thread again to maintain organization/topicality. This is directed at everyone: if the subject of your post isn't mentioned in the top post of the dev diary, or by a developer, then please find or create a more appropriate thread to discuss it. Where to draw that line can be tricky, so please mind where you’re posting so we don’t have to move your post.

There is some information missing about armor. Currently there are 4 steps of armor quality, fiber -> cloth -> leather -> military, with increasing armor values to match our progression. They can't just give us one step instead, we would be immediately at max armor once we have every slot filled.

So either there are multiple steps of the armor sets, or the sets are just the "legendary" final step of the current armor progression or A15 type quality comes back or ... ? Anyway it means we should have a lot more individual armor items than the ~5 sets of 5 armor pieces.

53 minutes ago, Dreyseth said:

again, sweet animations!

These animations look like an enormous improvement. But I can't help but wonder if we will have any ADS animations or if we will permanently look as though we're hip firing to other players.

2 hours ago, Gronal said:

These animations look like an enormous improvement. But I can't help but wonder if we will have any ADS animations or if we will permanently look as though we're hip firing to other players.

I want them to fix the aiming in first person! I hate the overhead aim

9 hours ago, Gronal said:

This has been issue for a VERY long time. Some animations not reflecting pitch of the player's aim in multiplayer etc etc. Hopefully we will also get proper animal foot IK, moving of entities on steep surfaces is very terrible in this game.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:49 AM, Chaton Noir said:

Hello, @faatal! Will we ever get new physics and new sounds for transport? The new models look much better, but it will be unpleasant to see the old physics and old sounds. And is there a chance that A22 will have a new UI, or is it worth waiting in A23?

Vehicles physics may get minor tweaks, but they should not be getting any major changes. Sounds have not changed. No UI changes in 22.

6 hours ago, faatal said:

Vehicles physics may get minor tweaks, but they should not be getting any major changes. Sounds have not changed. No UI changes in 22.

This plus @faatal ‘s earlier statement around page three about delays is exactly what I was saying at the beginning of this thread. Unanswered questions cause anxiety. Far better to answer, acknowledge questions and admit failure (such as it taking longer than expected) than not give any response.

Pimps need someone to communicate stuff and you are doing it the right way @faatal. Thank you sir.

Great news Pimps, can't wait to dive into A22. Really looking forward to the zombie variants, I've been asking about this forever. 

I'd kinda like to see the "smell" or "stink" debuff added back in when carrying cooked or raw meat. Could add in a chance to draw in a dog hoard when carrying such items.

20 hours ago, faatal said:

1. Physics and sounds of transport. You were referring specifically to alpha 22, right? (Sorry, I just didn't quite understand and would like to clarify.)
2. What are the chances after updating the engine to get DX 12 and full Vulkan support in A22 or in future versions? After all, there are probably still some problems in this regard.
3. What is the expected performance gain from the new APIs if they are implemented? Maybe there have already been some tests on the new version of the engine?
4. Will all new animal models get new animations in Alpha 22?
5. What about adding not only the shadow range setting, but also their quality? For example, using mods, you can reduce the number of shadow cascades to 2, so that ultra+ shadows are not much worse than high shadows in performance, but the drawing range is significantly longer. At the same time, the quality of the shadows does not drop too much. Yes, it may not look very good, but I think it's better than tall shadows that lack drawing range. Ultra and ultra+ shadows strongly affect performance, at least on not the most powerful systems, which makes playing with such settings uncomfortable until the number of cascades is reduced to 2. It seems to me that this is a good intermediate option so that everyone can choose what is more important to them — range or quality, and choose the best option for their preferences and their performance.
6. I would also like to hope that the contact shadows will be a separate setting and that it can be adjusted regardless of the other settings.
7. I would just like to thank you very much for your work and your answers and forum posts. It's really nice that you always keep in touch with the community, answer questions from the players, give some news and details. Good luck to you and the whole team!

Edited by Chaton Noir (see edit history)