Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

19 hours ago, Roland said:

So it appears that each piece has a bonus that it grants and in addition, there is a set bonus once you have at least 3 pieces. I concede that there is at least one game that does not require you to get all the pieces of an armor collection for the set bonus. But...I will point out that there still is a threshold and if you are a piece short of that threshold then you don't get the full bonus. In 7 Days to Die that threshold is going to be all the pieces. 

Over the years there have been many action RPGs that do set item bonuses in "increments."  Some sets have bonuses at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 pieces depending on the game.  The system has pros and cons of course but "incremented" set bonus have been around for a long time in the action rpg genre.

- Diablo 2-3

- Sacred 2
- Titan Quest

- Torchlight 2
- Grim Dawn

- Last Epoch

Other rpg games like World of Warcraft have also used incremented set bonuses.

Edited by irongamer (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, irongamer said:

Over the years there have been many action RPGs that do set item bonuses in "increments."  Some sets have bonuses at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 pieces depending on the game.  The system has pros and cons of course but "incremented" set bonus have been around for a long time in the action rpg genre.

- Diablo 2-3

- Sacred 2
- Titan Quest

- Torchlight 2
- Grim Dawn

- Last Epoch

I think you missed what was being said.  No one said there weren't *partial* set bonuses in games.  Many games have that.  What was said was that you did not get the *full* set bonus without having the full set equipped.  You might get a partial bonus, depending on the game, but not the full bonus.  Now, it was said Torchlight allows the full bonus without the full set.  There may even be a few others.  And, most likely, any that do give the full set bonus without the full set are games like Torchlight or Diablo that have an extremely large number of items you can find, making it extremely difficult to actually complete the set and so they allow you to get the bonus without having the full set.  That is a very different kind of game than this one, where you aren't likely to have any difficulty completing whatever set you want.  So it makes sense to only give the full set bonus to you if you're using the full set.

28 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I think you missed what was being said.  No one said there weren't *partial* set bonuses in games.  Many games have that.  What was said was that you did not get the *full* set bonus without having the full set equipped.  You might get a partial bonus, depending on the game, but not the full bonus.  Now, it was said Torchlight allows the full bonus without the full set.  There may even be a few others.  And, most likely, any that do give the full set bonus without the full set are games like Torchlight or Diablo that have an extremely large number of items you can find, making it extremely difficult to actually complete the set and so they allow you to get the bonus without having the full set.  That is a very different kind of game than this one, where you aren't likely to have any difficulty completing whatever set you want.  So it makes sense to only give the full set bonus to you if you're using the full set.

I was responding to this quote, "I concede that there is at least one game that does not require you to get all the pieces of an armor collection for the set bonus." So there was some question about that.  I was just mentioning there are good number of games in the past/present that do.  I really don't care how Fun Pimps implement it.

Edited by irongamer (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, irongamer said:

I was responding to this quote, "I concede that there is at least one game that does not require you to get all the pieces of an armor collection for the set bonus." So there was some question about that.  I was just mentioning there are good number of games in the past/present that do.  I really don't care how Fun Pimps implement it.

That was part of a much longer conversation and was probably not as clear in intent if you didn't see the rest of the conversation.  But it wasn't a statement that partial set bonuses weren't a thing.  It just missed one word... "full" before set bonus at the end of the sentence just because it was a continuing conversation and those involved in the conversation knew what they were referring to.

Good to know. Thanks all!

7 Days is unlikely to do an incremental set bonus. The devs will follow the same model they use for the book sets. Each piece will grant a specific bonus and if you wear the entire set you will get a set bonus. 

It’s interesting to learn about different designs, though. 

6 hours ago, irongamer said:

- Diablo 2-3

- Sacred 2
- Titan Quest

- Torchlight 2
- Grim Dawn

- Last Epoch

Yeah, I was wrong. :)

A truer statement to my point would be that all games have a threshold at which a full set bonus triggers and until you hit and remain at or above that threshold you only get a partial bonus or no bonus at all depending on the design. Wanting to dip below the threshold but still keep the bonus is unrealistic of a player. I suppose TFP could grant the set bonus if you have at least 4 of the 5 pieces just to allow for different footwear but I doubt they will do this. I think it will follow suit with the existing book. @Matt115's request to allow the set bonus without the flipflops isn't that crazy of a request after all as such a thing is an existing design after all.

But whatever the threshold turns out to be I don't believe it is a fair criticism to say that the devs are forcing a player to wear something the player doesn't want to wear but "must" wear for whatever bonus it provides. They shouldn't get the bonus if they don't meet the requirements.

12 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I know there’s no set bonus if I don’t wear the flip flops, but what if I only wear the flip flops?

Some runners would disagree, but I could see there being a movement penalty for not wearing any shoes. I'm not a fan of crossing gravel in bare feet.

57 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

So... We're all in agreement that the grass and wood gear is the ugliest thing in existence ever to have been created?  :)

The plant fiber outfit might be one of my favorites...😆

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

So... We're all in agreement that the grass and wood gear is the ugliest thing in existence ever to have been created?

The Council Of Druids cannot agree.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

13 hours ago, Roland said:

Yeah, I was wrong. :)

A truer statement to my point would be that all games have a threshold at which a full set bonus triggers and until you hit and remain at or above that threshold you only get a partial bonus or no bonus at all depending on the design. Wanting to dip below the threshold but still keep the bonus is unrealistic of a player. I suppose TFP could grant the set bonus if you have at least 4 of the 5 pieces just to allow for different footwear but I doubt they will do this. I think it will follow suit with the existing book. @Matt115's request to allow the set bonus without the flipflops isn't that crazy of a request after all as such a thing is an existing design after all.

But whatever the threshold turns out to be I don't believe it is a fair criticism to say that the devs are forcing a player to wear something the player doesn't want to wear but "must" wear for whatever bonus it provides. They shouldn't get the bonus if they don't meet the requirements.

Maybe i sounded too... hard but it's caused by my bad experiences about shoes and such shoes espectialy. So sorry if sounded rude.  Well even such redesing or  just few visual styles ( many games offer few visual variants of this same item) would be solving problem this at least for me.

Yet i don't agree yet about "not being forced". Okay - I will give Titan Fall example ( anniversay edition) : if you have few parts of set it was usualy much more effective to wear it that using items that are not part of set. which have sense - yet bonuses were so high that you were pretty forced to hunt for specific part for specific build unless you wanted to grind a lot for skills. So if bonuses from sets are realy high then you can be forced by RNG ( which is partialy Devs decisions yet it can't be 100% balanced). You want to make tank build? sorry you lack of one part of set so lack of bonuses making it useless so you need stick with this "ranger" set because 50% to dmg to bow from sneak and 30% damage and 20% speed for spears is much powerful. So : let's say 2, 4, 5 (while max is 6 parts) should be consider. Because hunting for 1 part is annoying.  Okay someone can say " it's post apo so looking for one thing would be hard" then such realism argument would have sense only for specific clothes like HAZMAT or Sapper outfit because 99,99% clothes don''t need to be complete to provide "something". So 7DTD is closer here to terraria or titan fall that dayz 

Been kinda curious lately, 

What has been a bigger struggle when it comes to porting 7DTD to console, different API's, software etc, or lower processing resources available on console that keep it from running smoothly?

Or is it just a general mix of both?

39 minutes ago, cmills said:

What has been a bigger struggle when it comes to porting 7DTD to console, different API's, software etc, or lower processing resources available on console that keep it from running smoothly?

Here is a video from MarMole about the process.  It is 7 years old, so some parts are not relevant (like the part with TellTale and Iron Galaxy) but it contains other useful info.  Basically, Sony and Microsoft have their own set of rules and standards that provide an additional barrier to providing a console update.  On Steam, they can just push a new build, bugs and all.  But when releasing to console, the quality/reliability bar set by MS and Sony is much higher.

https://youtu.be/3O3HjqDNlmk?si=4h4eqf3NMI73FBnX

34 minutes ago, Crypted said:

How many POI's would the devs working on the new console version have to build in order for the console version to be in sync with the PC version in terms of POI's. 

Zero. They don't update the old console game, they port the current PC version over.

20 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Zero. They don't update the old console game, they port the current PC version over.

So the new 7DTD console version already has all the POI's that PC has already If I'm understanding this correctly, because I thought they had to build every POI from scratch on the new console version that PC already had. 

9 minutes ago, Crypted said:

So the new 7DTD console version already has all the POI's that PC has already If I'm understanding this correctly, because I thought they had to build every POI from scratch on the new console version that PC already had. 

The new console version will be 1:1 with the PC version. It is a full new port of the current (a22) version of the game. It will be updated right alongside the PC version and contains the same content as the PC version because it was ported over.  They don't have to build it all from scratch. 

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

The new console version will be 1:1 with the PC version. It is a full new port of the current (a22) version of the game. It will be updated right alongside the PC version and contains the same content as the PC version because it was ported over.  They don't have to build it all from scratch. 

Replace the model of the chicken from PC version with a model of a duck for console version. Imagine the talks between players when seen or hunted in cross-platform MP. 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

I hope they change that horrible gyrocopter and make a passenger one, for example a Bell 206, or another model but not the gyrocopter. I remember that in alpha 20 I made a helicopter and several vehicles for my server but I was never able to publish it since in 21 they destroyed my mod like some modders.

I only have an image of the alpha 18 🥲

HellCopter.png

7 hours ago, cmills said:

Less RAM has been the biggest issue, especially on XBox Series S. We have reduced memory usage of many different systems. Art is now getting optimization attention to use less memory.

6 hours ago, Crypted said:

How many POI's would the devs working on the new console version have to build in order for the console version to be in sync with the PC version in terms of POI's. 

This time around, the console version is sharing the same project files as PC/Mac/Linux, so it is all the same, except for occasional checks in code for required differences. A good example is file system access. PS5 and XBox each have different systems and rules to read/write files than PC/Mac/Linux.

31 minutes ago, Sarakatunga said:
I hope they change that horrible gyrocopter and make a passenger one, for example a Bell 206, or another model but not the gyrocopter. I remember that in alpha 20 I made a helicopter and several vehicles for my server but I was never able to publish it since in 21 they destroyed my mod like some modders.

The gyrocopter has a new model with a passenger seat that I will be replacing the old model with, when I get to it. It will still fly the same, as it is a gryocopter, not helicopter. If we add a helicopter some day, that would fly like a helicopter.

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Maybe i sounded too... hard but it's caused by my bad experiences about shoes and such shoes espectialy.

Well, you'll only be wearing them digitally and there is no "stubbed toe" debuff so I think you'll be safe both physically and digitally while wearing the in-game flip flops and this is from someone who tore a toenail off while riding a bike while wearing flipflops. I'll never do THAT again but I feel pretty safe playing a game about wearing flip flops.

Of course, I never tried wearing them while walking up the nearby mountain to check the pole that tells the weather either.... ;)