Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Any plans for syncing the PC Gamepass (Xbox for PC, not Steam) versions with console for cross-platform play? Was super bummed to see I could not play my PC Gamepass version with my spouse whom has the Xbox console version 😔 

8 minutes ago, brnbbybrn said:

Any plans for syncing the PC Gamepass (Xbox for PC, not Steam) versions with console for cross-platform play? Was super bummed to see I could not play my PC Gamepass version with my spouse whom has the Xbox console version 😔 

The currently existing console version is very old, made by a company that folded and will never change. TFP is currently in the process of porting the current PC game to the newer consoles and that will have cross-platform play and identical features to the PC version

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The currently existing console version is very old, made by a company that folded and will never change. TFP is currently in the process of porting the current PC game to the newer consoles and that will have cross-platform play and identical features to the PC version

Ah there is hope then, that one day we can play together ☺️ I may have given in and purchased myself an Xbox instead by then but who knows. We have hope! 

Thank you much for the reply. 

36 minutes ago, brnbbybrn said:

Ah there is hope then, that one day we can play together ☺️ I may have given in and purchased myself an Xbox instead by then but who knows. We have hope! 

Thank you much for the reply. 

It gets better, because that new console version is expected to be released when A22 PC version is released.

So, this year you guys and many other are gonna be eaten by zombies a lot more :)

On 3/3/2024 at 5:21 PM, faatal said:

Vehicles physics may get minor tweaks, but they should not be getting any major changes. Sounds have not changed. No UI changes in 22.

Any change to the damage model? You guys went from 0-100 in one update again. It´s actually annoying to drive a vehicle right now. Beeing able to kill zombies again with them is literally useless.

There is mods to reset back to the A20 damage model, but i would much prefer a middle ground.

56 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Any change to the damage model? You guys went from 0-100 in one update again. It´s actually annoying to drive a vehicle right now. Beeing able to kill zombies again with them is literally useless.

There is mods to reset back to the A20 damage model, but i would much prefer a middle ground.

Yes please. I'm pretty sure I can plow more zombies with a 4x4 

But the damage for hitting trees and buildings 

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I think they plan what amounts to a noodle ground.  If you look at the vehicle models that show attached mods, you will see mods that appear to be armor.  So with that, we should get a damage reduction.  I think they should have added increased damage at the same time as damage reduction mods rather than jumping from extreme to extreme like they did, but if they do add damage reduction mods for vehicles in A22, it will be okay.

57 minutes ago, Crypted said:

I'm a little curious on what the Developers are currently working on with the console version to 7DTD if that's okay to ask.

The console version coming out this year is the same as the PC version. So if you follow the current development for PC it is also the current development for console. Most of the work right now is optimizations to make sure the game runs well on console which also benefits the game on PC. Just watch this thread and the Twitter feed and whatever news comes out from now on applies equally to console as it does to PC.

I'm a little disappointed that bandits are seemingly going to be delayed once again, but I *really* like just about everything that's actually confirmed for A22.  I'm especially looking forward to the improved gore, and I'm excited to see how it is in effect with the different texture/clothes variants for zombies.  Also, the new player models look awesome!  Curious too to see how the roads carving through mountains are going to look.  I doubt it'll be tunnels, but maybe something more akin to man-made canyons carved specifically for roads like one might see irl?

Edited by ShadeyJK (see edit history)

I have one question about the color variants for zombies. When Marlene spawns, does it pick between 5 different models to spawn each with their own colored clothing? I would assume when she goes to spawn her clothes call a function which randomly picks which hexadecimal her clothing uses.

1 hour ago, Darklegend222 said:

I have one question about the color variants for zombies. When Marlene spawns, does it pick between 5 different models to spawn each with their own colored clothing? I would assume when she goes to spawn her clothes call a function which randomly picks which hexadecimal her clothing uses.

My assumption is the latter. I don't think they have 5 pre-defined variations of each model. Rather, when they spawn, each "part" of a zombie that can have a variable appearance will have a random color value chosen (although in some cases, like hair, maybe random from a pre-defined list of values so we don't get crazy teal-colored hair).

In that sense, the number of zombie variations is almost limitless. Hopefully that's the case...

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

I think they said hair color, skin tone, and clothing color can be random combinations.  My assumption is that there are a limited number of predefined colors for each that are used, so I wouldn't expect to see more than half a dozen or so clothing colors per zombie and probably just normal hair color and skin tones - no pink hair or blue skin.  But those are just my guesses since they haven't said much about the variations.

4 hours ago, ShadeyJK said:

I'm a little disappointed that bandits are seemingly going to be delayed once again, but I *really* like just about everything that's actually confirmed for A22.  I'm especially looking forward to the improved gore, and I'm excited to see how it is in effect with the different texture/clothes variants for zombies.  Also, the new player models look awesome!  Curious too to see how the roads carving through mountains are going to look.  I doubt it'll be tunnels, but maybe something more akin to man-made canyons carved specifically for roads like one might see irl?

Correct. Road carving is not tunneling. It is pushing terrain heights down and smoothing around it to make a more reasonably sloped road, so you can drive up it without the vehicle stopping.

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

Correct. Road carving is not tunneling. It is pushing terrain heights down and smoothing around it to make a more reasonably sloped road, so you can drive up it without the vehicle stopping.

Why no tunnels? :(

On 3/4/2024 at 6:29 AM, Chaton Noir said:

1. Physics and sounds of transport. You were referring specifically to alpha 22, right? (Sorry, I just didn't quite understand and would like to clarify.)
2. What are the chances after updating the engine to get DX 12 and full Vulkan support in A22 or in future versions? After all, there are probably still some problems in this regard.
3. What is the expected performance gain from the new APIs if they are implemented? Maybe there have already been some tests on the new version of the engine?
4. Will all new animal models get new animations in Alpha 22?
5. What about adding not only the shadow range setting, but also their quality? For example, using mods, you can reduce the number of shadow cascades to 2, so that ultra+ shadows are not much worse than high shadows in performance, but the drawing range is significantly longer. At the same time, the quality of the shadows does not drop too much. Yes, it may not look very good, but I think it's better than tall shadows that lack drawing range. Ultra and ultra+ shadows strongly affect performance, at least on not the most powerful systems, which makes playing with such settings uncomfortable until the number of cascades is reduced to 2. It seems to me that this is a good intermediate option so that everyone can choose what is more important to them — range or quality, and choose the best option for their preferences and their performance.
6. I would also like to hope that the contact shadows will be a separate setting and that it can be adjusted regardless of the other settings.
7. I would just like to thank you very much for your work and your answers and forum posts. It's really nice that you always keep in touch with the community, answer questions from the players, give some news and details. Good luck to you and the whole team!

1 No. I consider vehicle physics to be close to gold. There are a few issues like excess wobble to the sides on 2 wheelers, but that is a fix. Sounds may get an update, but they are fine to me other than a bug or two with how they play.

2 We already support DX12 and Vulkan. How well it works, mostly depends on Unity. Each year we update to the next Unity LTS and it seems to get better. A22 is on Unity 2022 LTS.

3 Not much from what I have seen but that could change in future Unity versions.

4 Not sure. Have not seen any yet.

5 It is possible, but not A22.

6 Not yet decided.

7 Sure!

1 minute ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Why no tunnels? :(

Because that is complicated. You have to spawn in a tunnel POI along the road. The distances vary greatly, so length of POI would have to stretch or select from canned sizes and they can't be arbitrarily rotated like roads are. It could tunnel through the chunks, but chunks don't exist at the world generation level, so you would have to add them on world load or dynamically as those chunks load. Complicated...

22 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

We will keep dialing it in. The new 4x4 model plow mod reduces damage significantly and there is a book that will reduced it some for all vehicles.

With the 3 zombies that were removed (Farmer, Cheerleader and Football Player) are there plans on reskinning those for some new zombies? What about changing any zombie that gets burned by a Molotov they change to a crisp looking skin? New letter and number sizes would be a great addition. I also suggest a zombie deer.

On 3/2/2024 at 1:22 PM, Gronal said:

These animations look like an enormous improvement. But I can't help but wonder if we will have any ADS animations or if we will permanently look as though we're hip firing to other players.

71qmYertwmL._AC_SX679_.thumb.jpg.250ad778541c7c6ed877d42f62deb8cf.jpg

Would be nice if someone looked into iron sights and scopes. 

12 hours ago, TWORDY said:

71qmYertwmL._AC_SX679_.thumb.jpg.250ad778541c7c6ed877d42f62deb8cf.jpg

Would be nice if someone looked into iron sights and scopes. 

I can't stand those super tall front posts. It feels like extending the front post was the easier/quicker solution than reorienting the holding animation. Hopefully with the A22 character changes a bit more care is put into it

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

On 3/4/2024 at 3:10 PM, meganoth said:

Just curious if you know if server side mods will work with console? I assume client side / overhaul won't.