Starving to death is too easy

roth5264

Its getting farcical now! No matter how much easier this game has been made, someone always wants more. Its like people just cant be arsed to learn how a game works anymore. It is already nigh on impossible to starve to death ingame, you are literally falling over food most of the time. Eggs, chickens, rabbits, snakes, wolves, bears, big cats, corn, canned stuff, cooked stuff etc etc. You dont need to do quests, a club, bow and arrows and just looting houses easily provides more than you want. You dont need to farm because you end up with so much food and drink. We can all be unlucky and struggle through day 1-2 by day 3 food isnt an issue any more.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, Matt115 said:

"starving to dead is too easy" .... man... you should be thankful that madmole is boss because if 7dtd would be made by me it it would be named 7 minutes to die because it would be so dark , edgy and hard! 

I see what you did there.  We would all die and turn into your skeleton army...😅

If anything then topics like this are a compliment for TFP since their game works as intended. 7D2D is a survival game and finding food should be a slight struggle, especially for new players.

To anyone saying "get good" or "the game is way too easy already": Seems like you forgot that you have once started as a beginner too.

7D2D was my first survival game but I had thousands of hours experience with Real Time Strategy or first person shooter games so pretty far away from being a complete noob all around. My first death in 7D2D was on day 1 because I stepped on a wooden spike in front of a POI which I didn't notice. Was wondering why my HP goes down until I died. And I also remember that finding food was a challenge (but I didn't starve). I dare to say that players like these are the vast majority and people here with thousands of hours of experience are just a side note.

TL;DR: Be a bit more understanding with topics like this. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, meganoth said:

1) Generally the game is about learning how to overcome its difficulties. The more you play the more you will know ways to get food. Did you know that the food machine at the trader gets new stuff every day? By buying all cans in there and hunting lots of chickens with the perk that shows you where they are you can get by easy in the first few days. Long term you should get at least one point into LivingOfTheLand and start a farm

2) If you are in a multiplayer game you probably should designate one player as farmer and one as a hunter. And everyone should hunt from time to time in the first days until the farm is big enough. Also buried supplies quests give you lots of food and food recipes.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it to buy everything. It doesn't feel like survival if I use Trader or vending machines. So I ban them from my playthrough every time^^ I only start questing when I reach a point where I no longer need to survive^^

I'm going to have to completely strongly disagree, I think food is a joke in this game, there are animals everywhere, I can easily live off of charred meat and boiled water. I've even joked about doing a 'no eating' challenge and survive on first aid items since you only lose 1HP every 40 seconds, and starving only lowers your max stamina by 1/3 and regen by about 15% which can be offset by being overhydrated all the time.

I find it interesting that TFP changed the way farming works, yet they made meat even more abundant than A19, TFP should nerf animals to give half the meat they currently give, because we all end up with several stacks of raw meat that end up sitting in storage. Farming isn't even needed (except for aloe) with how abundant meat is.

4 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

To anyone saying "get good" or "the game is way too easy already": Seems like you forgot that you have once started as a beginner too.

Not saying "get good" but the food situation is way too easy for a game in the survival genre. Having the trader and even beeing lead to them right at the start makes things easy regarding the food situation. You literally just need to follow the game instructions from your starting quests and do a job for the trader once you are there. 

I also struggled with food when i started playing as it should be in a survival game. That´s the whole point of the genre. And even when there was no traders back then, i think i only starved to death once, not really sure though but i think i died due to hunger in my first try.

And he isn´t even trying to solve it, he just comes here and demands things to be easier. Ofc there will be people telling him to "git gud".

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

6 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Yeah we've all been beginners, of course we did. But in this case, this phrase is a parody.

Someone saying horde night on day 49 is very tough and needing help to overcome is plenty legitimate and justified. I'd gladly share hints and tips for a base design, what to use as weapons, strategies, etc.

But @%$#ing about food and how it's easy to starve to death, come on... The game provides all the necessary help and a wide range of means to get food. You just have to make... efforts. You have 4 skills to help you hunt better and for more resources, loot better and to conserve energy. If anything, the game already been made easier since candies have been added. Traders are over-powered, they give you loads of dukes since they have unlimited amounts of them. Vending machines replenish themselves overnight.

So who the everloving @%$# STARVES to death in this game?? Dying from an infection is nigh impossible. If you die from starvation, I'm sorry but it's probably a case of being too incompetent for this game. So yeah, it's gonna be git gud. Happy to disappoint you.

When I was a beginner at this, I simply thought that this is a survival game and if anything, when you're in that situation, there's couple of things you immediately have to think about : shelter, orientation and, *drum rolls*, sustenance! This game rewards plenty enough the slightest effort.

This trend of "I'm offended, give me what I want" went off the rails about the least dramatic things ever, including video games. "Please add an Easy difficulty level to Dark Souls!!!". Enough already.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, Maharin said:

Let's think about that for a moment.  It was a change that was new to A20, it was not expected nor was it predictable based on anything I remember reading.  I could still walk all over underground and jump as many times as I wanted but I couldn't even swing my little axe once.  Are you telling me you don't see a problem with this scenario?

the stamina drain for certain actions is ridiculously annoying and unrealistic. I've never been exhausted after jumping 5 times.

15 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

If anything then topics like this are a compliment for TFP since their game works as intended. 7D2D is a survival game and finding food should be a slight struggle, especially for new players.

7D2D was my first survival game but I had thousands of hours experience with Real Time Strategy or first person shooter games so pretty far away from being a complete noob all around. My first death in 7D2D was on day 1 because I stepped on a wooden spike in front of a POI which I didn't notice. Was wondering why my HP goes down until I died. And I also remember that finding food was a challenge (but I didn't starve). I dare to say that players like these are the vast majority and people here with thousands of hours of experience are just a side note.

TL;DR: Be a bit more understanding with topics like this. 

7dtd is now easy game - think A9 was hell. And 7dtd is base for mods so have to be easy

10 hours ago, SURVIVE said:

the stamina drain for certain actions is ridiculously annoying and unrealistic. I've never been exhausted after jumping 5 times.

Put on 150 lb pack and carry 100 lbs in your hands, run 500 yards, and get back to us about jumping 5 times.

It's not about realism its about game mechanic balance...

On 5/9/2022 at 2:06 AM, PoloPoPo said:

Apparently I started as an expert because there was never a moment in 7DTD where I had to worry about food. It's just... everywhere. There's so much of it, you can't get away from it. In the one place where you should have to worry about food, which is the snow biome where the freezing effect makes you hungry faster, they've offset it by making animal spawns way higher than other places, plus visibility is high so hunting there is easy.

But really, even if getting enough food was difficult, it still wouldn't make sense for a newbie to come in and complain about it after an hour of playing. If you've never played a survival game before, it makes sense that you should die the first time. Just like how if you've never played a strategy game before, it's normal to lose the first time. You're supposed to learn how to play, not complain that the game is too hard.

If everybody was starving constantly and less than 1% of players could survive then maybe that would be something to discuss, but it's obvious this poster didn't take the room's temperature before creating a topic, because it would be difficult to find somebody to agree with him in this case.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, 8_Hussars said:

Put on 150 lb pack and carry 100 lbs in your hands, run 500 yards, and get back to us about jumping 5 times.

It's not about realism its about game mechanic balance...

1)I did this with an empty backpack so your point is completely void. 2) Its about both. to have one without the other in itself imbalance.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, ElDudorino said:

Apparently I started as an expert because there was never a moment in 7DTD where I had to worry about food. It's just... everywhere. There's so much of it, you can't get away from it. In the one place where you should have to worry about food, which is the snow biome where the freezing effect makes you hungry faster, they've offset it by making animal spawns way higher than other places, plus visibility is high so hunting there is easy.

But really, even if getting enough food was difficult, it still wouldn't make sense for a newbie to come in and complain about it after an hour of playing. If you've never played a survival game before, it makes sense that you should die the first time. Just like how if you've never played a strategy game before, it's normal to lose the first time. You're supposed to learn how to play, not complain that the game is too hard.

If everybody was starving constantly and less than 1% of players could survive then maybe that would be something to discuss, but it's obvious this poster didn't take the room's temperature before creating a topic, because it would be difficult to find somebody to agree with him in this case.

I agree. It's not edgy enough. I want to hear a bear roar right after I kill a dear for meat and chase me around. That's the type of RNG I want. Sorta like Monoliths Nemesis System without all the jibber jabber. the thrill would be awesome. A modder was really close to that system in a17 but his account was deleted so that sucked. cant even find the mod anymore.

One of things I noticed with streamers and people newer to the game is that they don't bother to loot everything that is lootable.  ie, no toilets, kitchens, or trash piles.

Part of me wonders if this is because most folks only raid the kitchen if they know its in proper working order IRL.  Like somehow, it seems counter-intuitive.

Meanwhile as a prepper that's struggled for everything in his adult life, I waste no time being thorough in this regard.

I seriously wonder if something has changed with this new build. By the time I got to the traider I had 15 eggs and shot two chickens and one rabbit. I had a can of broth and the can of chili you start with. 

Since I always put one point in masterchef, I had plenty of food.

15 hours ago, Maharin said:

Let's be honest folks... the REALLY hard thing to do is eat yourself to death in this game.

Challenge accepted!

Well, as long as you exclude broken glass from your diet that is.

Damnit!

2 hours ago, theFlu said:

With the way the food system is, adding obesity as a threat might be just what we need... :)

Ah interesting.

Remove the cap on max food you can have.

At a certain level, the player slows down if his food level is high.

If it reaches a certain level, the player gets a buff that rolls a chance of dropping dead from stroke.  This chance gets higher the higher you food level is.

Very interesting....  🤔