Starving to death is too easy

roth5264

5 minutes ago, Maharin said:

At that point you'd be the food I needed.  :p

There's no flesh item in this game, just rotten flesh.....

So the only thing you will prove out is that Roland is rotten to the core  🤔

in my current game I died for the first time in day 26 placing iron spikes and bugging into them.

When I first started playing, food and water felt way to difficult to maintain. Day 1 and 2 for me are typically spent securing food sources.

Dont forget the vending machines and the trader has food. 1 quest will give you enough Dukes to buy food for a few days. 

1 hour ago, Syphon583 said:

Good lord, if anything they need to make food a little more scarce. This is a zombie/survival game. I want to be challenged, especially in the beginning. IMO there is way too much small game running around. With a bow and club/bone knife, I could have plenty of meat to carry me for a few days.

I honestly wish some food would spoil, but I know that opens a whole can of worms (no pun intended), so I'm OK with it as is.

Perishable food should absolutely spoil over time, sure! I'm fine with the current design of food items in the game right now, but I'd be the first to welcome food spoilage as a vanilla feature. The more immersive (but not abusive) elements you give me, the happier I'll be.

As for small and big game, there's a setting in spawning.xml that can be changed to either increase the count of spawn rate of edible game.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Someone else here said chickens can be killed in melee. Sure, but you waste part of the food you get with running after them if you can't hit them with the first or second swipe. I often can't.

That might've been me; a big part of the reason I bring it up is, it's damn good training for your controls. From purely food perspective, I would give up the chase if I miss my first attack or two. Catching the target would still be a huge gain (a chicken is 10 meat = 20 food, you'll run for half a day on that), but it's not worth running into a surprise party.

Running after a small moving target, trying to hit it; it teaches the timing of your weapon, and that you can aim while your swing is already going, etc.. it also teaches you when to give up; and such the gives actual experience at the lower limits of your stamina bar - a good skill to have in any fight, just not easily trained... :)

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

That might've been me; a big part of the reason I bring it up is, it's damn good training for your controls. From purely food perspective, I would give up the chase if I miss my first attack or two. Catching the target would still be a huge gain (a chicken is 10 meat = 20 food, you'll run for half a day on that), but it's not worth running into a surprise party.

Running after a small moving target, trying to hit it; it teaches the timing of your weapon, and that you can aim while your swing is already going, etc.. it also teaches you when to give up; and such the gives actual experience at the lower limits of your stamina bar - a good skill to have in any fight, just not easily trained... :)

People keep forgetting they can throw their spears (until they accidentally toss the thing off a building).  They are cheap to make the Tier 1's and with a bit of practice will have you fed up on chicken meat.  No need to run, just practice.

4 minutes ago, Orclover said:

People keep forgetting they can throw their spears

Heh, I keep forgetting that spears exist. They're fine, but for me a "bow plus club" does the same, just with a lot less hassle .. :)

"starving to dead is too easy" .... man... you should be thankful that madmole is boss because if 7dtd would be made by me it it would be named 7 minutes to die because it would be so dark , edgy and hard! 

43 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

"starving to dead is too easy" .... man... you should be thankful that madmole is boss because if 7dtd would be made by me it it would be named 7 minutes to die because it would be so dark , edgy and hard! 

On the plus side, there'd be skeletons everywhere!

4 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

yes!!!!!!!! and newsstands ! i love skeletons, newsstands , cats , dogs and cola! 

So... there'd be a skeletal cat laying on the newspaper and a dog skeleton with a rolled up newspaper in its mouth.  Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Maharin said:

So... there'd be a skeletal cat laying on the newspaper and a dog skeleton with a rolled up newspaper in its mouth.  Makes sense.

Sup, dog! Why you tryna smoke that kitty?

33 minutes ago, Maharin said:

...... you are creepy..... 

no no no! just cute cats in dreadout style or cute doggy in  ghost of tsushima! damn! i like human skeletons only!! good old human skeletoN!

33 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

well...i didn't seen zombie children  too soo... 🤔 i think they evac cats faster that children

Nah... the children ate the cats to keep from starving to death.

Wait... or did the cats eat the children?

Starving to death is very hard if you plan for it the right way. Every character I create three of the first four points I allocate are there just to help me survive.  One goes into MasterChef, I can make bacon eggs.  One goes into living off the land, when I find a plant I can eat I get two of them.  One goes into lucky looter. My chances of getting an egg from a bird nest are that much greater now.  My fourth point usually goes into engineering so I can build a forge.

Before I start building a base, before I start missions from the trader, I make sure I get a pot. Sometimes I can loot it. Sometimes, I loot the stuff I need to make a forge and I build a pot. While I'm doing that I hunt chickens and rabbits and loot every nest I find. If I run into Bambi I have all the meat I need and all I do is loot birds nest. You need six eggs and 15 meat. 

Anymore I always have enough food to get by that first night. Sometime it is a little tight. And I always want to do those first missions from the traider rather than look for a pot.  I've starved too many times starting out and modified my gameplay to account for it. I'm sure there's other ways.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, roth5264 said:

As the title states, one starves to death in the beginning of the game far to easily.  Could something be changed to prevent this?

I take it you haven't been playing long.

In which case, there's a learning curve.  Take your time and get to understand it a bit better, because its actually quite easy once you know what you're looking for.

There is never any point where I've had to consider the possibility that you can starve to death in this game.  The first time I played I stayed close to where I spawned for a few days and was swimming in food by day 2 despite not going raiding pretty much at all (which is a great way to get food).  A few games later I generated an 8k map where I ran pretty much from the lower-right corner to the upper-left corner at the start of day 1, hid the first night in a dark trailer, then made it to my destination by like mid-day on day 2 and still had plenty of food bar left, which I immediately filled by just eating whatever was around me.

This game has some of the easiest survival mechanics of any survival game.  I very much believe that keeping yourself fed should be made harder, not easier.

5 minutes ago, ElDudorino said:

There is never any point where I've had to consider the possibility that you can starve to death in this game.  The first time I played I stayed close to where I spawned for a few days and was swimming in food by day 2 despite not going raiding pretty much at all (which is a great way to get food).  A few games later I generated an 8k map where I ran pretty much from the lower-right corner to the upper-left corner at the start of day 1, hid the first night in a dark trailer, then made it to my destination by like mid-day on day 2 and still had plenty of food bar left, which I immediately filled by just eating whatever was around me.

This game has some of the easiest survival mechanics of any survival game.  I very much believe that keeping yourself fed should be made harder, not easier.

They decided to make game easy for "learn to play" because they want make 7dtd base for mods

OP: try to do a few trader quests the first couple of days where you dig for supplies as they often give food as a reward, then use the dukes you get to buy more food in the vending machine (the trader charges more than the vending machines if i remember correctly).  Kill any chickens you see (i can never get the rabbits in the 1st few days, fast little @%$#s!!!) and cook meat.  as said by other people earlier, consider putting a point into masterchef to make bacon and eggs, then check every bird's nest you find.  Once you start getting pipe guns, then go after wolves a bit more, try to get to a higher position where they cant get to you and snipe them. After a short period of time, you should find that meat is abundant and then you can focus on eggs or vegetables to make better food (farming is not great, but plant any seeds you get and consider specking into farming, it is worth it for sustainable cooking).  I tend to focus on mushrooms and potatoes to make the meal that uses those (i forgot the name, is it steak and potatoes?)  Also sometimes the plane drops food.

I would argue (like some others earlier) that after a couple of weeks, food is rather too easy to get.  but i can get a mod for that.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, roth5264 said:

As the title states, one starves to death in the beginning of the game far to easily.  Could something be changed to prevent this?

If you're playing single player, you could edit XML files and change loot. You might even find some mods that do that.

I don't tend to struggle for food after day 1. If I've found the desert, that's generally a great place to hunt at night when I'm too poorly equipped to be in POIs.

The desert has:

• Bright terrain; easier to see at night.
  • Coyotes - easy kill and a source of meat.
  • Buzzards - easy kill (with practice) and a source of feathers.
  • Chickens and Rabbits are easier to see and sometimes kill themselves on cacti.

I don't recommend hunting at night in the Forest because it is easy to get surprised by Wolves and Bears.