Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

2 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

A20 almost ruined the multiplayer scene by causing high populations servers not to be able to run high populations on....... but i have great news now for everyone now! A coder has optimized the game to use multiple cores which allows servers now to have a player count way more than ever before. Let me tell you people ive been an admin for 7d2d over 22000 hours in game and been around alot of years supporting this game but never have i ever seen a mod more important that what this coder has done.  I sure hope some day the pimps recognize this guy and give him the credit he needs. Anyone who has been around knows who im talking about but with all that being said, i give my consent for a21 to be released because now i know high population mutlitplayer well be possible with the works and effort this coder hasimage.png.17f0a8802fa73331d4f1e8ed1b916924.png done. The current seed a20 our server is on maxed at 52 players and could have easily had alot more.

7D2D has never been sold or implied to be capable of handling 50+ player servers. They have said something like 8 players max (or similar). Do not expect a sever that size to run properly. Game is not and likely will not be designed to work for that many players at once.

19 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

thanks for the info, but i like i said" ive been around for years" i know what the game can and can't do probably better than most: My post was to bring good news image.png.bf270340d42e6f673e0659c96d2a7d9f.pngto those that do play multiplayer and to give my blessing for a21 now.

So you've played full 9 days (216hours) in the last 2 weeks ??? No comment.

Edited by JamesKirk (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

A20 almost ruined the multiplayer scene by causing high populations servers not to be able to run high populations on....... but i have great news now for everyone now! A coder has optimized the game to use multiple cores which allows servers now to have a player count way more than ever before. Let me tell you people ive been an admin for 7d2d over 22000 hours in game and been around alot of years supporting this game but never have i ever seen a mod more important that what this coder has done.  I sure hope some day the pimps recognize this guy and give him the credit he needs. Anyone who has been around knows who im talking about but with all that being said, i give my consent for a21 to be released because now i know high population mutlitplayer well be possible with the works and effort this coder hasimage.png.17f0a8802fa73331d4f1e8ed1b916924.png done. The current seed a20 our server is on maxed at 52 players and could have easily had alot more.

I've been around and I have no idea of whom you're talking about. Why not name the mod author and post a link? Maybe @faatal would like to see what they did and whether it can be utilized? Why keep it a secret? That's not good news....that's just saying there is a secret.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Roland said:

I've been around and I have no idea of whom you're talking about. Why not name the mod author and post a link? Maybe @faatal would like to see what they did and whether it can be utilized? Why keep it a secret? That's not good news....that's just saying there is a secret.

no need to worry his mod is going public soon everyone that doesnt know will know soon enough.

7 hours ago, Doomofman said:

I want to see this miracle cpu multicore mod

if the mod was made public already i wouldn't hesitate to mention the maker but most multiplayer server owners 100% know who he is..... when he releases it for everyone to have, i sure hope the pimps give this coder the credit he deserves. But yeah it exists right now.

Edited by Grandpa Minion (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, Roland said:

Cool! I look forward to its release. Thanks for starting the prerelease hype train :)

I wouldn't hold your breath.... I'm not a software dev, but have some knowledge of computer systems architecture and why parallel programming is so difficult and inefficient. There are limited ways you can modify precompiled code to make it more efficient. Some have been tried already - e.g. disabling features or modding out blocks that are computationally expensive.

I'm reading his post in a sing song "I know something you don't know!" Tone, and if such a mod exists, I am expecting it to be just a compilation of those aforementioned techniques.

I have been proven to be too cynical in the past before though, so I may be pleasantly surprised. 

11 hours ago, Gamida said:

Hypothetically speaking, if a mod like this did exist would it work on SP games also.

I have only seen it mentioned having to do with multiplayer servers.

Depends how it is made. Some server side performance mods for example, "improve" performance by reducing server to client netcode updates to preserve CPU utilisation. On single player games this is unlikely to have any much of a performance impact. 

However, Grandpa Minion mentioned that the mod had to do with utilising more cores. If so, and you have more than 4 cores in your PC, this is likely to help. But writing efficient multi-threaded applications is difficult enough when you are writing it from scratch, let alone modding.

Imagine driving 4 cars down a freeway, when each car needs to communicate with the others in order share snacks, directions, toilet breaks, and fuel stops, and no car is allowed to get too far ahead or behind of any other car. That's multi-threaded programming. The whole convoy moves at the pace of the slowest vehicle - and then some inefficiencies on top.

You'd think it's fairly simple to get two different zombie AI's to take a thread each, but each one has to figure out what path it wants to take, considering the other zombie's path (so they don't both try to share the same space), and they need to keep checking if the blocks are still stable, if they are being hit by traps, bullets or players, and if they are still heading towards a valid target.

It is far easier to give each Zombie an identifier, and then have a single process sequentially decide the actions of each Zombie, because now that a single thread is control, you can make decisions like "since zombie 10 has already moved and occupied that space, Zombie 11 needs to repath around it". Often when programmers do this, they will divide the game up into "ticks" and then give each Zombie a time budget so that they can fit all calculations within a single tick and make the game look real time.

This is why I'm very skeptical of Grandpa's claims. While I don't doubt some performance tweaking by mods can be done, it won't be by multi-core optimisation (not to mention that in practice, if you optimise for multi-core, your CPU utilisation should go up, not down as you are now using MORE of the available resources, not less). If the mod exists at all, it looks like efficiency optimisations, not multi-core optimisations.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

Not sure about you but at my age I would be thinking more of the toilet breaks than the snacks.

I have two kids and doing a 4000km trip over 3 weeks (Sydney to Kangaroo Island, via inland roads, then back via the Great Ocean Road, Melbourne and Canberra). Trust me, at this stage of life, both, plus internet connections so thenkids can watch Netflix/play games are life saving essentials. 

Good thing I bought an 11dB antenna for my 4G/5G modem before I left!

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

On 4/12/2023 at 6:57 AM, Gamida said:

Hypothetically speaking, if a mod like this did exist would it work on SP games also.

I have only seen it mentioned having to do with multiplayer servers.

hello, i can assure you the mod does exist. It also will work on SP since it makes the game run on multiple cores doesnt matter if your on single player or multiplayer. Also im currently running the mod on [NAPVP] NORTH AMERICA PVP server if you want to see it in action just join. The mod has allowed us to have 100+ max zombies with over 50+ player online with high fps and no issues. As i said earlier the mod is still being worked on by the coder once its done he has told me he plans to release it to public AND YES ITS EAC COMPATIBLE people wont have timage.png.faab97d5690d9f2dc5e157277d74c040.png

o turn eac off for it to work.

Sorry if this questions has already been asked, I'm having a hard time finding an answer.

1. Will the 20.7 update that was announced on the stream break old saves made in version 20.6?

2. Will players need to create a new game after Alpha 21 is released if they start a new game after 20.7 is released?

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Survager said:

Sorry if this questions has already been asked, I'm having a hard time finding an answer.

1. Will the 20.7 update that was announced on the stream break old saves made in version 20.6?

2. Will players need to create a new game after Alpha 21 is released if they start a new game after 20.7 is released?

Answered by faatal: 

1 - A20.7 has a few minor changes to reading the world file header. It will not effect existing A20 saves. It will simply show A21 saves in the list without throwing errors.

2 - A20.7 saves are the same as 20.6 saves. A21 will not read those saves due to many changes that are not compatible.

Edited by beerfly
Just for the guys who read that in this thread. Sorry for the previous confusion.  (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, beerfly said:

1. Nope

2. Yes, sadly, but will worth it.

20.7 is to fix a bug in Twitch integration as I remember Lathan (Prime) said, so you are good guys. Until A21. 

I don't think it was related to twitch.  The comment about twitch at that point was to say they aren't the same 20.7 version.  Unless I misunderstood, it was a bug that would occur when you swapped between experimental and A20.  But I'm thinking it will be safe with current saves, though I'd recommend making a backup just in case.

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I don't think it was related to twitch.  The comment about twitch at that point was to say they aren't the same 20.7 version.  Unless I misunderstood, it was a bug that would occur when you swapped between experimental and A20.  But I'm thinking it will be safe with current saves, though I'd recommend making a backup just in case.

You are right. Backup is indeed a must. Gotta see the stream again btw, I was a bit sleepy in the morning when Lathan talked about that in the beginning. Just out of curiosity.