Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

16 hours ago, Crypted said:

In Alpha 21/22 I think you will be able to fast travel from trader to trader because of what Rick said in the dev stream.

It's definitely not in A21-- but in the future? Quite possible! Rick has always been a fan of fast travel mechanics so it wouldn't surprise me and it would be a good use for the helipad and nearby radio. But I really have no idea if it is a sure thing or not. Nobody is talking about it on the dev team but that could be mostly because it is all A21-focused right now.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

It's definitely not in A21-- but in the future? Quite possible! Rick has always been a fan of fast travel mechanics so it wouldn't surprise me and it would be a good use for the helipad and nearby radio. But I really have no idea if it is a sure thing or not. Nobody is talking about it on the dev team but that could be mostly because it is all A21-focused right now.

I was talking about when Rick said teleport pad then changed It to helipad and then Lathan's face expression. We won't know for sure until Alpha 22 I guess. 🙂

On 4/4/2023 at 3:31 AM, mstdv inc said:

And there are also programs that allow you to get any number of hours in any game.

Holy cheating algorithms! My momma often said that those who speak of the worst are often guilty of even worse transgressions.  Those of us who have played by the rules are automatically debunked?  Nah, in your dreams. Too many of us have played faithfully and truly, and offline hours aren't even included in the tally.  But if it makes you feel better about the accomplishments of others, get stuffed.

37 minutes ago, Crypted said:

I was talking about when Rick said teleport pad then changed It to helipad and then Lathan's face expression. We won't know for sure until Alpha 22 I guess. 🙂

And they cut that part from the VOD apparently.

1 hour ago, Crypted said:

I know. And what I'm saying is that despite his slip of tongue there is no way to know--even for me. As I've said, I know that Rick has spoken favorably about fast travel in the past but all the devs like to talk about wishlist stuff. It doesn't always make it in. As you say, we will know at some point and if it turns out to be true we can all laugh about how Rick slipped up in this past dev stream.

Personally, I'm against such things in a game such as this. Time should be an expensive resource to spend but doing things like making the days 240 minutes long and possibly adding fast travel mechanics cheapens that resource until it is meaningless. I was glad when the wellness feature was removed because it could be used as a currency to teleport back to base which again cheapened the time resource.

My own preference would be that the game is balanced to where the player has barely enough time to stay abreast of the difficulty progression curve of the game.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

I know. And what I'm saying is that despite his slip of tongue there is no way to know--even for me. As I've said, I know that Rick has spoken favorably about fast travel in the past but all the devs like to talk about wishlist stuff. It doesn't always make it in. As you say, we will know at some point and if it turns out to be true we can all laugh about how Rick slipped up in this past dev stream.

Personally, I'm against such things in a game such as this. Time should be an expensive resource to spend but doing things like making the days 240 minutes long and possibly adding fast travel mechanics cheapens that resource until it is meaningless. I was glad when the wellness feature was removed because it could be used as a currency to teleport back to base which again cheapened the time resource.

My own preference would be that the game is balanced to where the player has barely enough time to stay abreast of the difficulty progression curve of the game.

True no way of knowing for sure, to me when It comes to fast travel It depends on the game and how they do It (If 7DTD does do this). 

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

They did?  Unless it was edited recently, I only saw the VOD and it included that scene.

Yeah, apparently they cut it not long after posting the VOD.

If I had to guess, if fast travel DOES get added, and it's based on what was shown during the dev stream, I think it might only be between traders, since so far they all seem to have that helipad. We'd probably have to find each trader first, like fast travel in other games, before we could travel between them.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah, apparently they cut it not long after posting the VOD.

If I had to guess, if fast travel DOES get added, and it's based on what was shown during the dev stream, I think it might only be between traders, since so far they all seem to have that helipad. We'd probably have to find each trader first, like fast travel in other games, before we could travel between them.

Yeah, I can't imagine they do it except between traders.  I wonder how they would manage vehicles... Do you have to pick it up to take it with you, or having it on the helipad is enough?  We shall see.  Since they did remove it, that means it is probably guaranteed to appear.  No reason to remove it otherwise.  Of course, maybe they just don't want to have false hope out there. 😁

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, I can't imagine they do it except between traders.  I wonder how they would manage vehicles... Do you have to pick it up to take it with you, or having it on the helipad is enough?  We shall see.  Since they did remove it, that means it is probably guaranteed to appear.  No reason to remove it otherwise.  Of course, maybe they just don't want to have false hope out there. 😁

Just guessing here, but I would guess it'd be like using the Dev Mode teleport - it just teleports the player and their inventory, meaning vehicles would be left behind, unless they were empty and in your inventory.

As for why it was removed? Who knows. Could have been because Rick spoiled it, or because of Lathan's reaction, or any number of reasons.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:51 AM, Pernicious said:

I wouldn't hold your breath.... I'm not a software dev, but have some knowledge of computer systems architecture and why parallel programming is so difficult and inefficient. There are limited ways you can modify precompiled code to make it more efficient. Some have been tried already - e.g. disabling features or modding out blocks that are computationally expensive.

I'm reading his post in a sing song "I know something you don't know!" Tone, and if such a mod exists, I am expecting it to be just a compilation of those aforementioned techniques.

I have been proven to be too cynical in the past before though, so I may be pleasantly surprised. 

here is an example of the optimizer working today apr 15th today our server with  42 players on, 57 zombies and 50 animals the server fps is 42.5- our server  is lucky the coder allows us to use it during its creation. 100% works and with it being updated all the time its only going get better going in a21

Screenshot_2023-04-15_190626.png

26 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

here is an example of the optimizer working today apr 15th today our server with  42 players on, 57 zombies and 50 animals the server fps is 42.5- our server  is lucky the coder allows us to use it during its creation. 100% works and with it being updated all the time its only going get better going in a21

I look forward to the day it goes public. I'll definitely share the info with Alloc once there is a link to be shared. You can send one right now to @Crater Creator by PM and he'll pass it along privately if you can get permission from the creator of the mod. Alloc is the developer that would look at this sort of thing and evaluate its usefulness.

44 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

Great. I look forward to seeing how it works when it comes out. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I look forward to the day it goes public. I'll definitely share the info with Alloc once there is a link to be shared. You can send one right now to @Crater Creator by PM and he'll pass it along privately if you can get permission from the creator of the mod. Alloc is the developer that would look at this sort of thing and evaluate its usefulness.image.png.f27bd6848ba126cadaea5f91e35b446c.png

your going love it once you get your hands on it, right now we have 47 players on cpu is only using 16.8%

1 hour ago, Grandpa Minion said:

your going love it once you get your hands on it, right now we have 47 players on cpu is only using 16.8%

This is what I don't get. If it was a multi-core mod, shouldn't it be using more CPU time, not less?

An efficiency based mod would lower the CPU utilisation, which I agree there's plenty of scope to tweak. 

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Just an idea: One way he could achieve this would be moving calculations to the clients. For example **IF** zombie pathing currently is all done on the server, in his mod each client might do the pathing for the zombies summoned by that clients player.

He tells me daily how it works but im not a coder or modder so everything he says goes in one ear - out the other.. surprised he doesn't get frustrated telling me about it-

simply because i dont understand anything he is doing but what i can tell you is i have been an admin in this game a very long time over the years- w/e he is doing its increasing server FPS, lowering cpu usage, less lag, better overall player experiences for everyone who plays. Using the optimizer the games runs super better than without it. Also with the optimizer we can achieve high player count on the server with EAC on. You probably know as well as i do in a20 multiplayer servers took a big hit for population capability, so for big servers like ours its a blessing for sure.

39 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Can I ask? If it seems to be working as well as you say, is there any idea when it will be available to the public?

Am sure many out there would love to see how it works and to test it out.

He announced in his discord apr 14th "next project you will see is the stand alone optimizer" so w/e he was working on before that is completed- he can focus mainly on the optimizer now. I'm assuming it wouldnt be long but dont know- Please keep in mind this forum post i started he probably doesn't even know it exists- i initially started the post to bring good news for players going into a21, His discord is public anyone can join it. 

1 hour ago, Grandpa Minion said:

He announced in his discord apr 14th "next project you will see is the stand alone optimizer" so w/e he was working on before that is completed- he can focus mainly on the optimizer now. I'm assuming it wouldnt be long but dont know- Please keep in mind this forum post i started he probably doesn't even know it exists- i initially started the post to bring good news for players going into a21, His discord is public anyone can join it. 

Any chance to get the discord?

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

Just an idea: One way he could achieve this would be moving calculations to the clients. For example **IF** zombie pathing currently is all done on the server, in his mod each client might do the pathing for the zombies summoned by that clients player.

Zombie pathing is already cheap and runs off the main thread. I did fix a bug last week with only 1 path per frame being sent to the threading system and since it typically only takes 1 frame to make a path, it was a bottleneck for say 100 zeds making paths each second. A fairly simple change now has it requesting up to 8 paths per frame of which the threading system can provide about 6. This tested well with around 150 zeds on a server spread across 6 players.

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

I was thinking something like that, except rather than handing off to the client, put it on a brand new process (their own) which would replace the inbuilt process.

The problem with moving to the client then, is "which client if you have two in proximity"? Now you've gone from just patallel processing to distributed computing! Fun and games for the whole family! 

Oh well, time will tell. I am in no rush, as I have a very powerful dedicated server for 4 players, but if the patch worked as "advertised", (or really, just reduced load without EAC disable/heavy client side requirements etc.) I'd make all 3 of my servers public (vanilla, DF, and Sorcery).

Edit: sorry, missed that bit about controlling the client's summoned Zeds. Still stands that you need to send the info back and reassemble the info and resolve any conflicts before sending updates back out to the other players. With the 50+ players he's claiming, that's still quite a feat.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)