Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

21 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

God , I hope so. It would be nice to see this fixed, it's annoying to have them suddenly start crawling for no reason.

While I can understand the annoyance I kind of like it. It adds a bit of flavor to the otherwise simple combat. 

16 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

While I can understand the annoyance I kind of like it. It adds a bit of flavor to the otherwise simple combat. 

I dunno, I'm kind of sick of zombies magically "dodging" shots at the last second, whether due to deciding to crawl for no reason, or having such jittery movement decide to pretend to be Neo from the Matrix.

Also getting sick of arm shots spraining/breaking my legs and vice versa.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, Gronal said:

you know Saven is gonna have an absolute field day with this. I can see how it's funny, but I can also see how many people will be up in arms about it

Sure, sure…more likes and subscribes for him. His part in the parody is the mildest and shortest bit of all. I mean it’s not like Saven fans are going to hold him  to be more sacred and will be less forgiving of a joke at his expense than they would be about using Hitler as reference humor in the first place right?

Edited by Crater Creator
reply to now-deleted content (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

@Roland do you know if content lock has already started? Any info that you can provide will be used against the calm and quiet of the forums.

And @Roland, remember that these are unacceptable answers:

• "It's done when it's done"
  • "It's not ready yet"
  • "We don't know"
  • "We're working on it"
  • "We're not there yet"
  • "Soon (tm)"

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

And @Roland, remember that these are unacceptable answers:

• "It's done when it's done"
  • "It's not ready yet"
  • "We don't know"
  • "We're working on it"
  • "We're not there yet"
  • "Soon (tm)"

Next alpha is near than it appears. 

..Go in the corner, you are grounded...for like 2 minutes, depending on how slow Roland is counting 😶

35 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Except that wasn't aimed at Roland... :eyebrows:

Shhh..quiet, he doesn`t know that..yet

28 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Imagine if Roland replied “Yes, I know” and that was it.

All other responses are fine except that first one imo.

Apart from our posts, about release date and mocking around, having the anticipation before a new release is not something new for many of us here. But I can`t thank him enough for how brilliant he acts among us and how good he explains how stuff works. 

Can`t wait till he goes wizard.

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Shhh..quiet, he doesn`t know that..yet

Apart from our posts, about release date and mocking around, having the anticipation before a new release is not something new for many of us here. But I can`t thank him enough for how brilliant he acts among us and how good he explains how stuff works. 

Can`t wait till he goes wizard.

Agreed & he scored the first A21 Hitler video.

53 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

Yeah those hitler vids are a joke they aren't meant to target anyone's background fyi it's just the traditional running joke of the forums 😂

Right. They've been made for years and always reference controversies and debates that happen on the forums regarding the impending release. To ignore a reference to Saven's rant video regarding the forum would have been a big oversight. The brief line of "Its okay Saven" to the crying girl is a pretty tame joke and I'm honestly at a loss for how his fans are twisted up inside over it. He criticised me and other TFP staff for not being professional in our responses to honest questions and I made a joke out of that whole event in the video with Hitler being too scared to post on the forum because of how mean Roland was to his buddy and Saven crying about it in the hallway outside.

Anyone who is bent out of shape about that needs to lighten up and relax. Maybe its because they feel like it is a real problem and I shouldn't be flippant about it because of how serious the issue is. Well....too bad. In the heirarchy of serious issues this one doesn't make the top 10,000 and I would 10/10 include that joke in the video every time even after the couple of posts by Saven fans afterward warning of a huge impending blow-up over it. My guess is that Saven, himself, will probably take the joke in stride if he ever even hears of it. As usual, when there is offense taken it is usually by Nancies who are offended on behalf of some other party without even checking to see if that party is desirous of being advocated for.

The entire video was made in fun and for laughs over arguments that have appeared for A21 just as previous videos did for A20, A19, A18, A17, A16, and so on back several years. Most likely nobody even remembers the issues that became jokes in the Hitler videos of those past alphas because it is all just a bunch of nerdrage generated by pre-release frustration (of the new alpha, Snowdog). By time the A22 Hitler video is made, nobody will remember what has anyone grumbling about "too soon" with this video.

At my job I am learning how to use Unreal Engine 5. My company is not a game company but is using Unreal Engine across all areas of the company. My mind is blown. I would happily pay 100 dollars for 7 days to die version ported to Unreal Engine 5. From what I have seen internally at work and demos online with the new 5.1 is like visual dopamine for the eyes. 

14 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Not sure if appropriate for A21 discussions since it might not happen in A21 or at all, but is the (non?)issue of vehicles not keeping their momentum going to be changed, updated, or fixed? It's increasingly annoying, especially on the bicycle, to get up to speed with pedalling faster via Shift, and then immediately have all that progress lost when your stamina runs out. The bicycle returns almost immediately to its normal speed, when in real life and really any other vehicle-having game the momentum slowly drops over time.

You need to keep the SHIFT key pressed when you release the W key.  ...shift...> :car:

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

How many game days does it take for you to do a clear of a tier 5? For me the "smaller" ones would take 1-2 if outside of the wasteland, a hard 2 if inside the wasteland because I'm not a fan of player triggered horde nights. (Wasteland nighttime instant respawn + screamer horde chains can get nuts). The towers were a 2 day minimum outside of the wasteland and a 4-6 game days if the tower was in a wasteland. To be fair, I tended to take my time finishing POIs and making sure I didn't miss anything so others might finish them faster.

I do them all in a day (one per day), but I also don't scrap everything in them as I don't need all that material in single player, nor the money from selling it.  So I'll loot what is there and scrap certain things, but that is all, so finishing in a day is not a problem.  That said, if you play really short days or have increased loot, that isn't going to be possible.

7 hours ago, ltbrunt said:

At my job I am learning how to use Unreal Engine 5. My company is not a game company but is using Unreal Engine across all areas of the company. My mind is blown. I would happily pay 100 dollars for 7 days to die version ported to Unreal Engine 5. From what I have seen internally at work and demos online with the new 5.1 is like visual dopamine for the eyes. 

I wouldn't donate 100 but agree 100% with this guy. If TFP would accept donations to help port from unity to unreal I'd donate asap! 

That's never going to happen with this game. It does seem likely one of their next games at least will move to UE from what I've seen. But they aren't even planning to update to newer Unity pipelines and such as it would take too long. Moving to an entirely new/different engine would be a dumb move at this point. Just finish it, and hopefully down the line make an even better sequel to 7 Days on whatever engine will do it better.

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well there is no POI connected treasure hunt - very good to get a lot of food and money. Plus if trader is 2,5 Km away - why to waist time just... going there? That's why i always make base close to trader - have time to make quest, looting and upgrading base

This is what I'm talking about. At the moment, the game forces you to do this. The most efficient way to play is build your base next to a trader and grind the same high level POI 200m away. Again and again. The same POI. From day to day. No point in world generation and explore world

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

It isn't possible for a game to add every possible setting that every player might want.  Developers will add settings that they feel (right it wrong) are wanted by most players.  This is the reason for mods... If the game doesn't give you the exact setting or gameplay you want, you mod it so it does.  You say that there are ways to deal with the issues I mentioned, but there are also ready ways to deal with what you mentioned.  There are a very limited number of POI that quests are for and you generally aren't going to keep doing low tier quests, so knowing what you've already done isn't that difficult.  I don't keep a list and yet I know what I've done by just watching the name of the POI each time I take a quest.  Maybe in a different town that uses the same POI, I might think I've done it but haven't in that specific town, but I'm also not trying to keep track.  It just happens automatically as I play.  This is a case where a mod is the way to go.  It is extremely unlikely they would add such a setting in vanilla.

I understand that the developers are not obliged and will not add everything that each player asks for. You didn't say that, did you? You argued that this will not happen for another reason. You said it would spoil the gaming experience. Because high level POIs don't spawn enough. But 25% of the loot is just "spoil" as 10,000% of the loot. These settings exist and someone plays with them. In addition, there are many obvious ways to make this setting so that they do not end, but the player will not be forced to sit in one place

Maintaining a manual list of completed POIs is totally ridiculous. This is a PC game, not a board game. You often have the same POI in different places, similar POIs, and so on. In addition, their list is very large, will you really check the name + coordinates of the trader's quest variants with the manual list in your notebook? What happens when none of them work for you? After all, the trader always gives tasks nearby, so this moment comes quickly

In addition, there is always the temptation to have time to run once again to that same T4 200 meters from the base before the blood moon. If you play survival games with hard settings with low loot, frequent moon and strong zombies, then you will understand. If you're used to playing default settings in "I like to kill zombies🙃" mode then why are you arguing

9 hours ago, ltbrunt said:

Just for the sake of optimization. The wretched graphics of 7 days is its highlight. I would never want this game to look different. Like all the same type of "beautiful" games

45 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

This is what I'm talking about. At the moment, the game forces you to do this. The most efficient way to play is build your base next to a trader and grind the same high level POI 200m away. Again and again. The same POI. From day to day. No point in world generation and explore world

You're not forced to play in the most efficient way possible. If doing the same POI again and again is boring then you are free to do other POIs instead for more variety even though that would be less efficient.

28 minutes ago, A Nice Cup of Tea said:

You're not forced to play in the most efficient way possible. If doing the same POI again and again is boring then you are free to do other POIs instead for more variety even though that would be less efficient.

Thanks, I didn't know. You opened my eyes. Just kidding, of course not. The trader always gives the same POIs nearby, so one way or another you will be going around in circles

It is true that a high level POI is not enough for one trader, so at the beginning of the game you will have the illusion of variety, but very soon, if you do tasks intensively, you will be trapped by 2-3 T4-T5 POIs nearby. This can only be solved by some change in the algorithm for issuing quests, or the appearance of settings for this. Endgame is a grind anyway, but it could have been designed to be more varied than what we currently have. Either the trader should say "sorry man but you did all my work, go to another trader" or he should alternate what he gives. But we are given the opportunity to clear the same T4 POI nearby over and over again endlessly. This is silly. And sorry for those who worked on the generation of the world. In fact, no one needs their work. Because the game world is not 10k x 10k, it's a trader and a random t4 next door.

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)

The issue is not the number of missions that one can do in a day from the traders, the issue is the rewards that they give out every time you complete the mission.  I modded the game so that they don't give out rewards (I went with the extreme at first) just exp and dukes.  It changes the whole aspect of those missions as you have to do a lot of them to generate enough dukes to purchase items from the traders (another thing I modded was increasing prices on everything while reducing the dukes you get from sales of items back to them).

In a few previous alphas the game already had more relaxed settings how far away a quest could be and while it hasn't suited everyone it made people either explore the map or loot POIs outside of quests, which I would see as a positive for the replayability for the game.

I would gladly turn on either one of the options suggested by Bachgaman or Hiemfire. In my current MP game I have quests all over the map anyway (by different traders) and do quests for many of them. If one offered me a far away quest there is a good chance it would be near one given to me by a different trader. And it would really help with exploration and having a reason to travel to far away places.

The low number of tier5 especially is a problem no quest selection can ever fix, that could only be fixed with a massive production of them. But I really don't see the harm in offering far away tier5s to a mid- to end-game player or even offer less than 5 choices or even none for a while until every building on the map has been done.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)