Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

My deepest fear is with A21 that it will become unplayable on my 8 year old laptop. (Even at lowest settings) 7d2d currently runs without any problems on it and on medium settings. Im afraid with all the new changes, improvements, and graphics that even on lowest settings my laptop wont be able to go above 10 fps. 😕 *crosses fingers*

5 minutes ago, hiloboys said:

My deepest fear is with A21 that it will become unplayable on my 8 year old laptop.

This should not happen. It should even run better than A20, since according to the developers, much was optimized in A21 so that 7 Days to Die also runs smoothly on consoles.

6 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Is it correct to say that the ready-made graphic presets "ultra, high, medium, low" are stable combinations of settings and it is better to use them than to try to change the settings manually?
Will the game run less smoothly if some settings are left at a high level and others are low or disabled?

That isn't really how settings in games work.  Presets just set things at what is considered a specific level all at once so you don't have to change everything one at a time.  But the different settings all impact the game differently and are all affected in different ways by each person's hardware.  If your hardware struggles with shadows, then lowering shadows while leaving everything else higher can give you a performance boost while not reducing other graphics settings.  There really isn't a combination of settings that would be more stable.  Any graphics settings should be stable... just some may have more of a negative impact on your system than others.  Of course, if you try setting the graphics on Ultra and have a computer that can't even handle Medium, then you might consider that not being "stable" even though it's not that the settings are not stable but just that your computer can't handle them.

You may even not like certain settings and want those disabled.  For example, I hate motion blur in games and will always disable it.  That has nothing to do with any impact it has on my computer and is entirely because I hate the effect.  In certain games, I'll also disable Bloom as it can really look awful in some games even though it looks fine in others.  But it's not because of any impact on the game.

In short, feel free to adjust settings in this game and any other game to give you the best combination of performance and graphics on your computer.  Note that "the best" is based on your own opinion and may not be the same opinion as others.  As a side note, in games that recommend settings for you, you can also feel free to adjust them to your liking.  I've found that the recommended settings are often much lower than my computer can actually handle with good fps.  What others think is best may not agree with what you think is best.  That's another reason why presets are just starting points for you so you don't have to change everything one at a time and can set things the way you feel will be best in a single click and then make adjustments from there if needed.

2 hours ago, hiloboys said:

My deepest fear is with A21 that it will become unplayable on my 8 year old laptop. (Even at lowest settings) 7d2d currently runs without any problems on it and on medium settings. Im afraid with all the new changes, improvements, and graphics that even on lowest settings my laptop wont be able to go above 10 fps. 😕 *crosses fingers*

They haven't given much detail on what the optimizations have done for the game but they did state that the game uses less RAM.  They also haven't said anything about increasing minimum or recommended specs and as RipClaw said, they're keeping things at a level that will work on console, so if the game works for you now, I'm sure it'll continue to work for you up through gold.  Even so, it's probably not a bad idea to look into saving up for a new laptop (or desktop).  This game and others will work much better on a newer computer and you'll eventually start finding games that can't be played at all on your laptop or with such low settings as to not be enjoyable.  Set some money aside each month that you won't use for anything else and within a year or two, you should have no trouble getting a decent new computer even if you can't set aside much each month.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

So if no major bugs are see on Wedneaday, the likelihood of an imminent release is higher? 😁

Dictionary

imminent

adjective

1. about to happen.
"they were in imminent danger of being swept away"

-----------------

Fun Pimps

imminent

adjective

1. May-June
"there is no imminent danger of A21 being released"

My prediction is A21 will be released... Soon.

It will be more soon than the Kraken getting lucky in Vegas (take that ether way).

Even more soon than Aliens invading Earth, demanding the movie "Titanic" be remade with alien actors. 

We will see how my analysis turns out!   Could be two days... 

26 minutes ago, Roland said:

The question "Will it be this weekend?" has been asked by @Crater Creator and he is waiting to get an answer from @Hated

We are definitely at the week by week stage now. There are ripples on the surface of the water as the Kraken is poised to strike from deep below.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

🦈🐙

(we need a kraken emoji !!!)

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

There are ripples on the surface of the water as the Kraken is poised to strike from deep below.

Fingers crossed for it is not just a fart :)

Stop dropping junk into the oceans, people ! 

17 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Is it correct to say that the ready-made graphic presets "ultra, high, medium, low" are stable combinations of settings and it is better to use them than to try to change the settings manually?
Will the game run less smoothly if some settings are left at a high level and others are low or disabled?

They are a combination that goes together to meet a general performance target. Moving any setting lower from a preset is not bad and should simply increase performance.

13 hours ago, hiloboys said:

That should not be the case, but I'm curious to see how it runs for you.

26 minutes ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

The huge tunnel in Navezgane, is there a chance for it to also appear in random Gen? 

They said it was only in Navesgane but that they were looking at possibilities for RWG.  No guarantees, though.

56 minutes ago, Riamus said:

They said it was only in Navesgane but that they were looking at possibilities for RWG.  No guarantees, though.

I hope they're able to at some point. I was so excited seeing that tunnel and then quickly sad that it was Navezgane-only. It would be a perfect foundation for the next base Idea I have on my friend's server.

This may sound strange and annoy the 7DTD community. I would love for TFP to cancel A21 putting all their effort into A22. I love everything I have seen in the A21 Dev Videos. Watching those videos was like rushing home to receive a present. Saying this I think A22 is going to be the game changer. I have been playing this game for ten years non stop and am looking forward to the next evolution to the game.

I think A20 is flawless as is and would rather wait A22. This could also give TFP more time to work out bugs.  I have a feeling A22 will be the turning point for 7DTD. 

When A21 does come out I will no doubt be grinding away at it. 

21 hours ago, faatal said:

I have the same CPU as Lathan, a 3070 TI GPU and play at the lower resolution of 1440p, yet I put no settings on Ultra. I want a smoother higher frame rate, so I use High, which nets me 80-100+ FPS most of the time. There is a big difference between being out in the forest with not much around you vs in a city with buildings all around you, so I pick settings for the more demanding locations.

Excellent and exactly what I’d do. Ultra high settings don’t do much for me. I can tell the differences in images, I cannot while gaming. I much prefer consistent decent frame rates vs extreme quality.

1 hour ago, ltbrunt said:

This may sound strange and annoy the 7DTD community. I would love for TFP to cancel A21 putting all their effort into A22.

Interesting take, but I don't think it works like that. There's kinda no reason for them not to release a21 at this point. It's not like it's holding back a22, it's stuff that they need to do anyway. Besides a21 is pretty much ready now.

2 hours ago, ltbrunt said:

This may sound strange and annoy the 7DTD community. I would love for TFP to cancel A21 putting all their effort into A22. I love everything I have seen in the A21 Dev Videos. Watching those videos was like rushing home to receive a present. Saying this I think A22 is going to be the game changer. I have been playing this game for ten years non stop and am looking forward to the next evolution to the game.

I think A20 is flawless as is and would rather wait A22. This could also give TFP more time to work out bugs.  I have a feeling A22 will be the turning point for 7DTD. 

When A21 does come out I will no doubt be grinding away at it. 

I don't think that TFP do their counting like that. Like Gronal says:

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

There's kinda no reason for them not to release a21 at this point. It's not like it's holding back a22, it's stuff that they need to do anyway.

We're not waiting for the "May 2023" release and expect a "July 2023" release to be coming up, there's nothing to say that A21 has to be released this month, or even this year. If anything, delaying the release by packing more content into any single update would likely mean that there are future content updates to do (I.E. is A21 is absolutely stuffed, there may not even need to be an A23)

Edited by vedrit (see edit history)