Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Well, as a counterpoint to that argument, it would mean you could no longer have a "one size fits all" base for blood moon. You would have to figure out a base design that didn't rely solely on ranged weaponry, and still allows zombies to get into melee range, even at higher gamestages.

It would make blood moons dangerous again instead of just "free XP" nights. I think many people would like that.

If this is controversial, then maybe a setting for them would be needed. Even if not, there is always the option to remove them from the blood moon hordes via XPath.

I don't mind a challenging blood moon, but you need to have options for a base.  There is nothing wrong with having the ability to build a base that is successful during blood moons.  I don't build pillbox bases and I experiment with different designs for fun.  The last thing I want is to be forced to build a specific kind of base just so that I can reach a zombie with melee every now and then.  But in the end, this really would just mean that blade traps would become a must-have for bases.  Not a big deal, I suppose.

As far as "free XP" nights, I'd actually be fine with disabling XP during blood moon.  That isn't what I like about blood moon and has little real value for me.  I like blood moon for a way to find base designs that work well against zombies and for the fun of killing tons of zombies swarming you.  I know many players just build a single style base every time just because it's practically impenetrable but that isn't how I play.  And I honestly don't care if people like playing that way.  Let them if they want.  No one is required to be "efficient".  Too many people just don't understand how to control their own actions and so think they can only play efficiently and can't play for fun.  I've had so many people reply that they can't help be play the most efficient way possible even though they continually complain that it isn't fun.  It really is a choice and people who don't enjoy playing efficiently should learn to control their actions and play in a way that is fun, even if it isn't efficient.  Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: I missed a forum rules update back in feb. My original post is in the spoiler to prevent confusion.

Spoiler
54 minutes ago, Druid_Koldun said:

Добрый вечер уважаемые разработчики. Я знаю, что задал много вопросов на эту тему, и я уверен, что вам уже наскучил этот вопрос, но я не могу сдаться. Мне бы очень хотелось, чтобы в вашей замечательной игре была домашняя собака. Мне действительно тяжело ждать новую версию, это, наверное, единственная игра, которая так сильно ломает меня изнутри. Я прошу вас добавить в игру ручных собак или волков. Вот мое предложение вам, я собрал 1,500 долларов и готов собрать больше, чтобы дать вам деньги на создание этой замечательной системы для домашних животных. Проблема только в том, что я живу в другой стране и если есть возможность как-то передать их вам через ваш сайт, куда можно отправить любые банкноты всех стран или я могу купить на эти деньги определенное количество копий через steam, если это тоже возможно. Только, пожалуйста, добавьте четвероногих друзей. P.S. пожалуйста, не говорите мне, что их не добавят и что они отказались от этой идеи. Просто мне об этом уже 200 раз говорили на этом форуме. В принципе, если спутник хоть чуть-чуть с багами и ошибками, он тоже будет необязательным. В принципе, кто хочет взять компаньона, который не хочет выживать сам. Поэтому нет нужды описывать здесь аморальность и то, что такого в игре не будет. Я буду верить до конца, что будет!

Good evening, dear developers. I know I've asked a lot of questions on this topic, and I'm sure you're already bored with this question, but I can't give up. I would really like to have a pet dog in your wonderful game. It's really hard for me to wait for the new version, it's probably the only game that breaks me so hard from the inside. I ask you to add tame dogs or wolves to the game. Here's my suggestion to you, I've raised $1,500 and I'm willing to raise more to give you the money to build this wonderful pet system. The only problem is that I live in another country and if there is an opportunity to somehow transfer them to you through your website, where you can send any banknotes of all countries or I can buy a certain number of copies with this money through steam, if this is also possible. Just please add four-legged friends. P.S. please don't tell me that they won't be added and that they've given up on the idea. It's just that I have already been told about this 200 times on this forum. In principle, if the satellite is at least a little bit with bugs and errors, it will also be optional. Basically, who wants to take a companion who does not want to survive on his own. Therefore, there is no need to describe immorality here and the fact that this will not happen in the game. I will believe to the end that it will be!

English please. Most search engines have easy access to translation algorithms (I use Duck Duck Go's). Just search "Translate" and select English as the output of the presented translator.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

English please. Most search engines have easy access to translation algorithms (I use Duck Duck Go's). Just search "Translate" and select English as the output of the presented translator.

The forum doesn't require English but it certainly will allow more people to understand what is being said.

32 minutes ago, Druid_Koldun said:

Добрый вечер уважаемые разработчики. Я знаю, что задал много вопросов на эту тему, и я уверен, что вам уже наскучил этот вопрос, но я не могу сдаться. Мне бы очень хотелось, чтобы в вашей замечательной игре была домашняя собака. Мне действительно тяжело ждать новую версию, это, наверное, единственная игра, которая так сильно ломает меня изнутри. Я прошу вас добавить в игру ручных собак или волков. Вот мое предложение вам, я собрал 1,500 долларов и готов собрать больше, чтобы дать вам деньги на создание этой замечательной системы для домашних животных. Проблема только в том, что я живу в другой стране и если есть возможность как-то передать их вам через ваш сайт, куда можно отправить любые банкноты всех стран или я могу купить на эти деньги определенное количество копий через steam, если это тоже возможно. Только, пожалуйста, добавьте четвероногих друзей. P.S. пожалуйста, не говорите мне, что их не добавят и что они отказались от этой идеи. Просто мне об этом уже 200 раз говорили на этом форуме. В принципе, если спутник хоть чуть-чуть с багами и ошибками, он тоже будет необязательным. В принципе, кто хочет взять компаньона, который не хочет выживать сам. Поэтому нет нужды описывать здесь аморальность и то, что такого в игре не будет. Я буду верить до конца, что будет!

The devs have firmly said that they will not add pets to the game.  They added the drone and that is all you will get with vanilla.  There are pathing issues that are present in this fully destructible game that make land-based pets difficult.  They aren't going to do it and it doesn't matter how much it is requested.  A mod will be the only way that you can get a pet dog in this game.  Maybe in the next game.

And saying not to tell you yet again that it won't happen doesn't change anything either.  As you said, you've been told many times that it won't happen and repeatedly asking won't change anything.  Accept that this game will not have pet dogs.  Look for a mod that adds pets.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Doomofman said:

I see the Streamer Weekend invitations are open, but I can't tell from the FAQ if the Green Room is supposed to be visible for returning streamers/content creators yet or not (not a streamer, just asking for someone else/curiosity)

Pm @Crater Creator for questions regarding streamer weekend applications. 

We just start a new Game on our Server after we paused may 4 years. It’s still fun and still some new game mechanics to explore.
I just read that TFP had a new big update (A21) for us in the near future and it will come with a map wipe I guess….like in the past.
There are any ideas when it will expected to drop?
So we wait until the next release and start over again.
By the way…I just realised that i joint this Forum on April 9, 2014.
Andy Hey…..maybe we get the Bandits on my anniversary next year.  😉
I really hope the Bandits will come one day. It would be more varied
because there are hardly any players left on the open public servers.

1 hour ago, Jetset said:

We just start a new Game on our Server after we paused may 4 years. It’s still fun and still some new game mechanics to explore.
I just read that TFP had a new big update (A21) for us in the near future and it will come with a map wipe I guess….like in the past.
There are any ideas when it will expected to drop?
So we wait until the next release and start over again.
By the way…I just realised that i joint this Forum on April 9, 2014.
Andy Hey…..maybe we get the Bandits on my anniversary next year.  😉
I really hope the Bandits will come one day. It would be more varied
because there are hardly any players left on the open public servers.

You guys can have a really fine game in A20 till A21 is out. It is a good opportunity to keep up with the new stuff and get hyped for next one. 

Expected date is sooner than you think, since the dev stream already started. 

Edited by beerfly
If bandits make it for your anniversary, the beer is from me :) (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Jetset said:

I really hope the Bandits will come one day. It would be more varied because there are hardly any players left on the open public servers.

A20 almost killed the multiplayer public servers due to horrible optimization it brought - no need to worry about A21 though the good news is a coder has made an optimaztion mod to help multiplayer servers out in every way. Player count is the #1 thing to have on a public server and without the optimaztion mod "hardly any players left on the open public servers" is a phrase i have heard way to often from people in a20.

21 hours ago, Riamus said:

I don't mind a challenging blood moon, but you need to have options for a base.  There is nothing wrong with having the ability to build a base that is successful during blood moons.  I don't build pillbox bases and I experiment with different designs for fun.  The last thing I want is to be forced to build a specific kind of base just so that I can reach a zombie with melee every now and then.  But in the end, this really would just mean that blade traps would become a must-have for bases.  Not a big deal, I suppose.

As far as "free XP" nights, I'd actually be fine with disabling XP during blood moon.  That isn't what I like about blood moon and has little real value for me.  I like blood moon for a way to find base designs that work well against zombies and for the fun of killing tons of zombies swarming you.  I know many players just build a single style base every time just because it's practically impenetrable but that isn't how I play.  And I honestly don't care if people like playing that way.  Let them if they want.  No one is required to be "efficient".  Too many people just don't understand how to control their own actions and so think they can only play efficiently and can't play for fun.  I've had so many people reply that they can't help be play the most efficient way possible even though they continually complain that it isn't fun.  It really is a choice and people who don't enjoy playing efficiently should learn to control their actions and play in a way that is fun, even if it isn't efficient.  Just my opinion, of course.

I build different bases for different builds. I got rekt on day 7 relying on my walls to keep them out until morning, I couldn't believe how fast they got in without me killing them non stop like usual. But to me getting rekt gives me motivation to try harder so I added a melee room up front this time and a few doors they will have to get through this time (in theory).

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Still no answer on dyes working with the new outfits, or why Rekt is already getting a new compound after getting a new one in A20?

We will support dyes on the new outfit. All POIs including REKT got updated because there is now full art support to decorate them as envisioned in the concepts.

12 minutes ago, madmole said:

I build different bases for different builds. I got rekt on day 7 relying on my walls to keep them out until morning, I couldn't believe how fast they got in without me killing them non stop like usual. But to me getting rekt gives me motivation to try harder so I added a melee room up front this time and a few doors they will have to get through this time (in theory).

We will support dyes on the new outfit. All POIs including REKT got updated because there is now full art support to decorate them as envisioned in the concepts.

Plus, you will need the space to add more NPC's right? :)

8 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Still no answer on dyes working with the new outfits, or why Rekt is already getting a new compound after getting a new one in A20?

The new outfits won't come until A22. I'm not sure what they will or won't support.

Trader Rekt got upgraded so that his compound would match the rest.

EDIT: looks like Madmole answered too. Good, looks like dyes will be supported when the new outfits get implemented.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

9 hours ago, madmole said:

Hey Madmole, thanks for answering! But I wonder now, was this planned during A21 planning? If so, it still seems like wasted effort to update Rekt for A20 only to update him again.

Also, I forgot to ask earlier - will the new amour sets support armor mods as well, like the impact braces, armor plates, bandoliers, etc

Edited by Old Crow (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Hey Madmole, thanks for answering! But I wonder now, was this planned during A21 planning? If so, it still seems like wasted effort to update Rekt for A20 only to update him again.

Also, I forgot to ask earlier - will the new amour sets support armor mods as well, like the impact braces, armor plates, bandoliers, etc

Think of A20's version the foundation for the new Rekt and the A21 version closer to the final design for him.  Not wasted effort as many designs, including POIs have an iterative process based on what assets / features are available at the time.

I was thinking about the change to certain containers so that they disappear once emptied and had a question... Will the chests in the buried treasure quests from the trader disappear once emptied?  About the only reason I even bother with these unless I just don't have any alternative quest types is because I know I can run across these holes in the ground in the future and be able to re-loot the container again.  If the container is destroyed like the treasure map quest containers, then I will probably almost always ignore this quest type going forward.  It just isn't really worth the effort in the early game using a shovel when you're typically getting these quests, considering they are low-tier quests, unless I can re-loot them after the loot respawn timer triggers.  Now, I don't track where I dug so I don't just keep going around looting these all the time, but I do like coming across them during my regular gameplay and having the opportunity to loot them again.

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

It sounds like these are going to be equivalent to current armor but work as a matching set.  And I can't imagine they'd remove armor mods.  Now, if these outfits were considered "legendary" armor that had their own bonuses, then I could see not allowing mods.  But that isn't the case here.

@Trankitas

I know what you mean, and I have to say I also was kind of disappointed that a good chunk of the stuff shown in the A21 dev streams was "flagged" as not-in-A21-but-some-undefined-later-alpha.

But then again, there's soo much stuff that will make the whole world look better, so much love for details and atmosphere and variety of things,

I can't wait to go explore it, just to see how nice (in the sense of "more immersive") everything looks.

And don't forget that there will also be a totally new mechanics about character progression,

so it's not quite just about the looks, but also lots of new stuff to try out how it feels to develop/progress your character.

If you ask me , there have been alphas that - at least retrospectively - did qualify better for "could have been skipped"  -  but not this one.

13 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

@Trankitas

I know what you mean, and I have to say I also was kind of disappointed that a good chunk of the stuff shown in the A21 dev streams was "flagged" as not-in-A21-but-some-undefined-later-alpha.

But then again, there's soo much stuff that will make the whole world look better, so much love for details and atmosphere and variety of things,

I can't wait to go explore it, just to see how nice (in the sense of "more immersive") everything looks.

And don't forget that there will also be a totally new mechanics about character progression,

so it's not quite just about the looks, but also lots of new stuff to try out how it feels to develop/progress your character.

If you ask me , there have been alphas that - at least retrospectively - did qualify better for "could have been skipped"  -  but not this one.

Yeah, many on the team would of liked bandits and the new player character models to be in A21, but they are just not ready yet.  At least the character team showed their progress though so people know significant progress is being made.  Better then complete radio silence imo.

In other news, if you missed the announcement.  The level design dev stream is tomorrow.  Tune in for some POI reveals and other level design tidbits.  Maybe even some updates on what is going on with RWG and tiles....😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

@Trankitas

I see why you have an Owl as profile picture, you are wise my friend.

I mean, the job done is amazing don't get me wrong! But bandits is something I'm waiting since I started playing around A4 i think, I always wanted bandits even when they were not announced yet, so the wait since they announced they were coming at some point has been unbearable. Even in A15 we had some bandits on the entity spawn menu.

Even so, TFP and 7 days to die don't owe me ANYTHING, I've been playing for years, and I have thousand of hours in the game, I had a lot of fun, and surely if I decide not to skip A21 I will still have fun with friends and family.

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, many on the team would of liked bandits and the new player character models to be in A21, but they are just not ready yet.  At least the character team showed their progress though so people know significant progress is being made.  Better then complete radio silence imo.

Yeah, those bandit models were unreal, to think that they've come from this image.png.de5373f3e93a45530123aa4913cc685b.png

To this image.png.69f90448a32bdaad1b435de00df7fba7.png

is truly amazing, I can't wait!

On 4/22/2023 at 2:14 AM, meganoth said:

"More and more people" does not matter when TFP needs or wants to support old hardware, and now also consoles where time practically stands still for years.

so the PC side of the game is hamstrung by having to shoehorn it into a weak xbox.  not surprised , seen it coming for years. 

1 hour ago, Trankitas said:

Aw man, new armor was the only thing that excited me of A21. I might just skip this one at this point and tune in on A22 again. Everything that I wanted got delayed :( Bandits, armor, new UI.

I've got some more news for you (courtesy of @KatsPurr)

Spoiler

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, spud42 said:

so the PC side of the game is hamstrung by having to shoehorn it into a weak xbox.  not surprised , seen it coming for years. 

It depends. **IMHO** If they only bring 7D2D to the current consoles then they will be far more hamstrung by older PCs they also still want to support. If they want to support the older generation of consoles too then yes, I can't imagine that it doesn't have some influence on the game. And 7D2d 2 might be a different case altogether.

Personally, as long as the UI on PC is not harmed I am fine with it.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)