Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

14 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Look at the good stuff. 7D2D offers amazing building, amazingly creative building or traps, awesome random world generation and some really nice views. Also enjoyably different game play than that from big budget titles plus it is crazy fun to play with friends. Finally the horde mechanic is first of its kind to my knowledge.

7D2D is a great game even in its unfinished state. The cost of the game is quite cheap in relation to what you get out of it. I wish more game companies would make awesome & fun stuff for less than $25.

Look at the good news and what the future may bring, the Pimps certainly have learned something and that knowledge can be transferred to a new game with a more modern game engine.

This, right here.

Plus, the game is designed to be easily moddable.

You can practically make this game just about how you really want it for a zombie survival game.

You want NPCs? There is a mod for it with non-turned types ranging from medieval to orcs to aliens.

The wide-eyed doom if 7DTD doesn't have one specific type of flavor is really just... petty.

10 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Please for the love of all things when is the update coming out ???

I'm sure you already know this but for those following from a distance, I'll answer.  First they have to announce the first dev stream.  Then they will have the first dev stream.  Then they will have many more dev streams which in the past were a week apart.  Then after the dev streams come any final work, and then the unstable build is released.  For A20, the first dev stream was Sep 11 and the release was Dec 6, but Faatal said he thinks the timing will be quicker than that 3 month gap.  Not sure how much quicker.

So to answer the question, if the first dev stream was announced today and past timing means anything, it would still be until May before A21 was available.

By the time A21 releases I'm guessing it'll be the longest gap between alphas there's ever been, even if it isn't there quite yet currently

It'll probably hit 10 years in early access before we ever get bandits

The last time their social media has posted anything directly A21 related that wasn't to do with Twitch was September

The last time the Dev Diary was updated was mid-December

It sucks to be a fan of the game who frequents the forums looking for news/updates, but the Twitch and Steam stats for the game haven't really dropped off and, like it or not, that's who the game is made for, not for the regulars on here. From their perspective I'd imagine there's no need for them to be dropping news when the game is doing just fine without it

I imagine the majority of what's getting touched up right now are things like 'Those 3 bugs that popped when that last bug was squashed' .. And they have a handful of juicy tidbits they want to keep secret until streams.. with maybe 2-3 other little things set aside to be leaked out when it's close enough they want to get the hypetrain rolling again.

2 hours ago, DocRussel said:

First they have to announce the first dev stream. 

Only if they MUST do things in the order and the way they've done it in the past. But nobody tells them what they have to do so they can choose to change things up any time they want.

Jokes aside, we are getting closer and closer every day.  Hopefully there will be an announcement very soon. 😎

Just this past week, I finished up overhauling several of the ranger station POIs to our current standards.  One was even upgraded from Tier 1 to Tier 3.  You guys will be amazed how much more believable POIs look like with all of the new art assets and shapes. 

From a gameplay stand point, there are several new things that shake things up.  The new door art / tech. alone is awesome given the variety we have now (types and damage states)  AND the fact players can shoot / melee through them.  I was playtesting a POI yesterday and got surrounded by several zeds in one encounter.  After knocking down the closet one to me, I then hopped over a pallet of cattle feed and ducked out through a wooden door (closing it behind me).  While I was catching my breath, the zeds started piling up on the door breaking it down bit by bit until I could see their dead faces growling at me through a hole that they made.  I quickly start stabbing them in the face injuring / killing just enough before the door completely collapsed in order to finish off the rest of them.  Thank you door! 

29 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Jokes aside, we are getting closer and closer every day.  Hopefully there will be an announcement very soon. 😎

Just this past week, I finished up overhauling several of the ranger station POIs to our current standards.  One was even upgraded from Tier 1 to Tier 3.  You guys will be amazed how much more believable POIs look like with all of the new art assets and shapes. 

From a gameplay stand point, there are several new things that shake things up.  The new door art / tech. alone is awesome given the variety we have now (types and damage states)  AND the fact players can shoot / melee through them.  I was playtesting a POI yesterday and got surrounded by several zeds in one encounter.  After knocking down the closet one to me, I then hopped over a pallet of cattle feed and ducked out through a wooden door (closing it behind me).  While I was catching my breath, the zeds started piling up on the door breaking it down bit by bit until I could see their dead faces growling at me through a hole that they made.  I quickly start stabbing them in the face injuring / killing just enough before the door completely collapsed in order to finish off the rest of them.  Thank you door! 

You need to make an achievement "Thank you Mr.Door!" for killing 10/25/100 zombies through the door 😄

18 hours ago, Laz Man said:

7bojw3.jpg

I wish someone at the Pimps would sneak in an easter egg where an actual cocaine bear spawns and goes into the pop n pills and starts eating all the meds. That would kick ass in a super funny way. We'd just be a bystander watching the whole thing, he wouldn't attack us because of his cravings. But as soon as all the pills are gone, be somewhere else!!  😂

17 hours ago, Roland said:

Only if they MUST do things in the order and the way they've done it in the past. But nobody tells them what they have to do so they can choose to change things up any time they want.

I mean... I can choose to smash my head off a wall but I probably won't make that choise.   Honestly, do you really think there is a realistic chance they are releasing the update without the streams first? LOL

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I mean... I can choose to smash my head off a wall but I probably won't make that choise.   Honestly, do you really think there is a realistic chance they are releasing the update without the streams first? LOL

Yep, especially when they have strongly implied very recently that they will have dev streams before releasing A21.

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

The question is how many dev streams and how far apart. 3 months between first dev stream and release was the maximum I assume. Did anyone check what the minimum was?

22 hours ago, Doomofman said:

22 hours ago, Doomofman said:

By the time A21 releases I'm guessing it'll be the longest gap between alphas there's ever been, even if it isn't there quite yet currently

It'll probably hit 10 years in early access before we ever get bandits

The last time their social media has posted anything directly A21 related that wasn't to do with Twitch was September

The last time the Dev Diary was updated was mid-December

It sucks to be a fan of the game who frequents the forums looking for news/updates, but the Twitch and Steam stats for the game haven't really dropped off and, like it or not, that's who the game is made for, not for the regulars on here. From their perspective I'd imagine there's no need for them to be dropping news when the game is doing just fine without it

the feedback was written in 2018

To whom degraded alpha 20 and HD models, to whom the peak of the development of the game, alpha 16.

Up to alpha 16, the game developed without a mass player, based on the ideas of a hardcore game with complex crafting and a horde (quote from the description of the game in steam "Experience real hardcore survival mechanics".).

On the 17th alpha, there was a reversal of the trend. They took a course for mass production and HD models.

In 17-19 alpha, simplified the crafting of weapons, transport, the size of the maneuverable world was reduced by 7 times, removed the degradation of weapons, tools, removed tillage, removed more than 50 items and blocks, simplified the crafting of many items, removed loot, loot from zombies.
The sounds of the game have changed a lot, smoothed out. There are no sharp, unexpected sounds that could keep the player in suspense. Ambient sounds have changed.
Motion Capture has been changed, now it's much easier to get into zombies. Previously, a zombie could stun with a blow after your next miss, due to the complex movement of zombies.

In Alpha 19, everything is quite simple, everything is structured. 6 levels of item quality, 3 shooting galleries. Without degradation.
There are stages of the game, unexpected, random events do not happen in the world. The world is empty, no one will disturb you. There will be no random zombies. Instead, there is a heatmap system, zombies will appear if there are working blocks (stoves, bonfires, chemical stations or when the drill is working). It's very simple, take a drill, press the lmb with a 100% guarantee that zombies will come to you.

In 19-20A there are/ will be, green zombies, drones, fantastic turrets, colorful HD models. A variety of vehicles that can be crafted and put in your pocket.

p.s
It's a pity that the game took a commercial (casual, arcade, in a beautiful wrapper) direction, as it usually happens. Could become a cult.
The game has lost its atmosphere. The idea of the game was, zombie apocalypse + complex crafting.
The game is more casual from version to version, we are waiting for a new indie game built on clean, bright ideas. Here you can put a cross.

Edited by custom_hero (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, custom_hero said:

the feedback was written in 2018

To whom degraded alpha 20 and HD models, to whom the peak of the development of the game, alpha 16.

Up to alpha 16, the game developed without a mass player, based on the ideas of a hardcore game with complex crafting and a horde (quote from the description of the game in steam "Experience real hardcore survival mechanics".).

On the 17th alpha, there was a reversal of the trend. They took a course for mass production and HD models.

In 17-19 alpha, simplified the crafting of weapons, transport, the size of the maneuverable world was reduced by 7 times, removed the degradation of weapons, tools, removed tillage, removed more than 50 items and blocks, simplified the crafting of many items, removed loot, loot from zombies.
The sounds of the game have changed a lot, smoothed out. There are no sharp, unexpected sounds that could keep the player in suspense. Ambient sounds have changed.
Motion Capture has been changed, now it's much easier to get into zombies. Previously, a zombie could stun with a blow after your next miss, due to the complex movement of zombies.

In Alpha 19, everything is quite simple, everything is structured. 6 levels of item quality, 3 shooting galleries. Without degradation.
There are stages of the game, unexpected, random events do not happen in the world. The world is empty, no one will disturb you. There will be no random zombies. Instead, there is a heatmap system, zombies will appear if there are working blocks (stoves, bonfires, chemical stations or when the drill is working). It's very simple, take a drill, press the lmb with a 100% guarantee that zombies will come to you.

In 19-20A there are/ will be, green zombies, drones, fantastic turrets, colorful HD models. A variety of vehicles that can be crafted and put in your pocket.

p.s
It's a pity that the game took a commercial (casual, arcade, in a beautiful wrapper) direction, as it usually happens. Could become a cult.
The game has lost its atmosphere. The idea of the game was, zombie apocalypse + complex crafting.
The game is more casual from version to version, we are waiting for a new indie game built on clean, bright ideas. Here you can put a cross.

I agree about that. They change from complexed and hard game  into mods base. Meat smell was sign that game will be easier project zomboid in 3d but we get simpler dayz