Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

I did a googling on the Hunger Games thingy, and this Brutus fellow tried to join with the bow lady, but she said no. (He was denied) Perhaps Spears and Bows are now in the same skill tree?

Hello everyone, btw. I usually lurk, but I can't resist a good puzzle. :) 

57 minutes ago, Lennie said:

I did a googling on the Hunger Games thingy, and this Brutus fellow tried to join with the bow lady, but she said no. (He was denied) Perhaps Spears and Bows are now in the same skill tree?

Hello everyone, btw. I usually lurk, but I can't resist a good puzzle. :) 

I can, but I'm starting to get itches on several parts of my so called brain, lol.

@Roland , you seem like a nice guy who gives strong, solid and specific clues. Like.... Brutus = Spear guy in The Hunger Games.

Can it be a weapon mod or perk that gives us the ability to autoretrieve Spears when thrown if it's X meters from the player?

Edit: BTW Lennie, welcome to the unlurked version of the forums! It's nice to suddendly meet you, fellow player.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

Some good guesses and one very very very good solution by Uncle AI. My clue does reference a character in the Hunger Games and in particular something he did "in" the 75th Hunger Games and it does signify changes to a weapon we use in our game that he used in that game-- which Uncle AI pretty much hit squarely on the head. Needless to say, if you ever thought the spear was lackluster and wished it did a bit more damage plus a power thrust rather than a throwing attack you will be happy. 

If you only played the game because throwing the spear was one of the core elements of the game for you....I guess let's get #speargate started....

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Some good guesses and one very very very good solution by Uncle AI. My clue does reference a character in the Hunger Games and in particular something he did "in" the 75th Hunger Games and it does signify changes to a weapon we use in our game that he used in that game-- which Uncle AI pretty much hit squarely on the head. Needless to say, if you ever thought the spear was lackluster and wished it did a bit more damage plus a power thrust rather than a throwing attack you will be happy. 

If you only played the game because throwing the spear was one of the core elements of the game for you....I guess let's get #speargate started....

Woot! Spear love!

I've always loved perception and it might finally be coming into its own soon. It always suffered weapon wise because spears were....spears and sniper rifles have rather limited utility when you're only fighting enemies who don't shoot back.  Spears sound to be getting a significant boost and for rifles, being able to outrange opponents might actually have some value once bandits make an appearance.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

YESSSSSSSS.... UL did this and I love it

I have only seen two practical use cases for spear throwing so far. The first is to open zombie closets from a distance. The second was that you are standing on an elevated position and there is a bear below you and you throw the spear, retrieve it, throw it again and so on.

Nice! So how does that power attack work on the spear? You hold the former "spear throw" with the RMB or did the devs standarized for all melee weapons it and put the spear throw on another button like the "holding LMB" ?

4 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Nice! So how does that power attack work on the spear? You hold the former "spear throw" with the RMB or did the devs standarized for all melee weapons it and put the spear throw on another button like the "holding LMB" ?

I'm pretty sure they've just replaced the throw with a power attack and you can no longer throw spears, judging from the #speargate comment anyway

From the description it seems the change is just power attack instead of throw and a little more damage. Maybe a crit damage bonus for headshots or just a general increase of the base damage.

In that case the spear would be in effect a club where more range is traded for less stopping power. That is surely a good change because the throw just did not work out well, but also a bit sad that the spear is not different enough, does not allow new tactics. 

One idea I just had was that the spear (power?) attack could have had a swipe, a sideways push for a zombie. That would be useful standing in doors, as the zombie would have to get in front of the door again, or in horde nights where you could push zombies from small ledges. But that feature would have needed lots more animations work.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

Oh god I hope not, I just want a more powerful thrust for the secondary attack

Fair one, although for me it'd just feel too similar to any other weapon in that case

Guess we'll have to see!

As someone who likes using the spear, this is great news.  I hate when I accidentally threw the spear and had to run and get it or switch weapons quickly in the middle of a big fight.  I was always afraid of end up losing the spear of I couldn't pick it up quickly. Not sure if it only lasts for 60 seconds like loot bags.

I like the spear because I can almost always stay out of range while doing quick damage.  It isn't as powerful as some other melee weapons, but the reach and decent speed of it work very well. Sure, you can one shot with a sledgehammer, but I get so many dismembered heads in one shot with the spear that I don't feel like I'm missing much.  It is also probably the best melee for hitting vultures without being hit yourself.  My second favorite is the stun baton because I like zapping the zombies. 😁

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

but also a bit sad that the spear is not different enough, does not allow new tactics

throwing away your weapon and then having a hard time to get it back was a bad tactics anyway, so I won't miss that.

...still a bit sad that it wasn't the zombie hippos though, but I guess I will get over it eventually.

8 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

...still a bit sad that it wasn't the zombie hippos though, but I guess I will get over it eventually.

Starts playing "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" while watching the Hungry Hungry Hippos attack.  😜