A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

hope so. cuz right now i call him the grasshopper zombie. 

Also hope the spider zombie shoots webs... (don't ask wear from)

i wounder if we are getting a tier 3 baton? 

OOoooh, this... I actually like the baton. A T3 baton would be great.

Maybe even if the damage was the same as T2, but the AOE was greatly improved.

Spiderwebs sparking out across the hordes.

-------------------------------------------

@faatal

Is the starter quests disappearing fixed in A20

Reproduced 100%

start a game, get the intro quest, save game, exit, reload....

No way to get them back. theyre lost.

------------------------------------

@faatal

Or the loot bug

Coop partner opens a container in a POI.

Start a quest from a trader for the same POI while that person is still in the inventory.

That person can no longer loot anything from inventories (trash cans, garbage, boxes etc)

And not just for that POI, but in that game anywhere until they relog.

as far as i know they can still pick up something that isnt inventory (like a rock off the floor) but

opening inventories is now broken without a relog.

Edited by samljer (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly this same problem with schematic : i rly don't know if i read this or not. Maybe blocked option to read this same book/schematic twice could be better solution: red/green color will "destroy" icons - now books looks like real books 

Check whether the icon is an open or closed book.

On 9/11/2021 at 6:39 PM, Roland said:

The devs are not ignoring those who want FOV increased. They fully considered the request and did add a slider to the video options menu to allow you to increase it beyond the default value. The current cap is in place for two reasons that they have stated: 1) If they increase it more then the occlusion feature of the game that helps performance would become visible on the periphery of the screen. You would see trees and other world features popping in and out of existing as you turned. This is a technical limitation that has a lot to do with the voxel nature of the world compared to the static nature of the world of non-voxel games where players can turn the FOV up so far they can see behind them at the same time as in front of them. 2) They are opposed to ultra wide FOV that some users like to employ because it makes the game look fisheyed and bad and is often abused in competitive play.

So, its kind of a combination of can't and don't want to. I suggest turning the slider up as far as it can go and then adjust your viewing distance with the screen.

the upper limit is clear. But why can't the lower limit be changed? I make different videos, and sometimes I need aimed shot (for example, in dialogs), but I can't do it in a way that would be correct. Can you contribute to changing the lower FOV limit? Because my past requests really went unanswered :)

4 hours ago, samljer said:

OOoooh, this... I actually like the baton. A T3 baton would be great.

Maybe even if the damage was the same as T2, but the AOE was greatly improved.

Spiderwebs sparking out across the hordes.

-------------------------------------------

@faatal

Is the starter quests disappearing fixed in A20

Reproduced 100%

start a game, get the intro quest, save game, exit, reload....

No way to get them back. theyre lost.

------------------------------------

@faatal

Or the loot bug

Coop partner opens a container in a POI.

Start a quest from a trader for the same POI while that person is still in the inventory.

That person can no longer loot anything from inventories (trash cans, garbage, boxes etc)

And not just for that POI, but in that game anywhere until they relog.

as far as i know they can still pick up something that isnt inventory (like a rock off the floor) but

opening inventories is now broken without a relog.

please post these in the bug report thread. It is our QA guys that vet bug reports for the programmers. 

46 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

the upper limit is clear. But why can't the lower limit be changed? I make different videos, and sometimes I need aimed shot (for example, in dialogs), but I can't do it in a way that would be correct. Can you contribute to changing the lower FOV limit? Because my past requests really went unanswered :)

I’ll bring it up. 

Oh, and how about more rocket launchers, maybe grenade launchers too? Return of the AT4 launcher? Another crazy idea I have to share. Add a one in one million chance for a rocket launcher to spawn in a purse. Now I can't help but share this idea too. How about some explosive and incendiary shotgun ammo! Maybe all these explosive ideas are coming from the day 28 hoard I just blasted with pipe bombs + atom junkies candies. All this brain storming makes me wish there was more explosive and incendiary skills and weapons in 7DTD. Flame thrower, anyone? Pyromaniac character builds?

On 9/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, samljer said:

@faatal You guys keep mentioning all new HD zombies; none of them are left to do, and showed them off.

But I dont think I have seen the zombies "demolisher" or "feral wight", and a few others.

Also, what about "Grace" ???

I believe you when they say they are done 😛 Just wondering if we can get a peek.

There was a glimpse of the Feral Wight in the recent stream... He has pants now

2 hours ago, jeromeN7 said:

Oh, and how about more rocket launchers, maybe grenade launchers too? Return of the AT4 launcher? Another crazy idea I have to share. Add a one in one million chance for a rocket launcher to spawn in a purse. Now I can't help but share this idea too. How about some explosive and incendiary shotgun ammo! Maybe all these explosive ideas are coming from the day 28 hoard I just blasted with pipe bombs + atom junkies candies. All this brain storming makes me wish there was more explosive and incendiary skills and weapons in 7DTD. Flame thrower, anyone? Pyromaniac character builds?

Rocket launchers are tier3 of explosives, SMG is a tier of pistols. Both weapon types have all tiers filled, so I don't think TFP will add more. Weapons are basically finished with the addition of the scrap weapons.

2 hours ago, jeromeN7 said:

Yeah! Something like this:

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Rocket launchers are tier3 of explosives, SMG is a tier of pistols. Both weapon types have all tiers filled, so I don't think TFP will add more. Weapons are basically finished with the addition of the scrap weapons.

They could add a grenade launcher as a Tier 3 explosives weapon... :cool2:

32 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah! Something like this:

They could add a grenade launcher as a Tier 3 explosives weapon... :cool2:

They could ... lots of things. Not saying it can't happen, but they want to finish and anything redundant has an uphill battle to fight against things already on their priority task list.

29 minutes ago, meganoth said:

They could ... lots of things. Not saying it can't happen, but they want to finish and anything redundant has an uphill battle to fight against things already on their priority task list.

Yep. but maybe in the future they will add this. honestly it could have HE , armor piercing and fire ammo. it could be quiet fun. but... problem is - it would need to make narrow space - because zombie just  are going to far from each other 

Wishful thinking here, 

After watching the stream. I couldn't help but wonder if the top secret project is related to an UnrealEngine port since the game is coming to epicgames and Rick said a secret unreal project | doing some really cool stuff in unreal 

Wishful but hopeful!

8 minutes ago, joshwa0816 said:

Wishful thinking here, 

After watching the stream. I couldn't help but wonder if the top secret project is related to an UnrealEngine port since the game is coming to epicgames and Rick said a secret unreal project | doing some really cool stuff in unreal 

Wishful but hopeful!

I hope for 7dtd in medival setting

On 9/11/2021 at 1:12 PM, Naz said:

@faatal If you have a sec could you look at these performance tweaks and share your thoughts? if they check out with you, they could give a substantial boost to performance in a20 and they're small changes. I can measure that things are better with them, but i still don't understand the "how" they work as well as they do and i don't know if there are any potential issues running the game with them.

1 is locking the game to 4 physical cores, helps more the more cores/threads you have. I saw a 20-25% improvement in Valheim with the same tweak so maybe it's a unity thing?

2 is editing a file called boot.config , this has a similar boost to the 4 core affinity tweak, however it's not compatible with eac, so currently it can only be used in sp. Using both of these tweaks substantially boost performance. I don't know how useful or practical to implement the 4 core affinity tweak could be, however the boot.config tweak is a very simple change and as long as there are no side effects it might be worth changing it in vanilla. It would also be nice to know what exactly the changes are and what they do 😛

I'll leave benchmark numbers on 2 systems and details on the changes to the boot.config in the spoiler bellow (so i don't clutter up the thread :P)

Reveal hidden contents

All setting set to ultra except motion blurs disabled. The boot config tweak was brought up in this thread by DonDregon. The file in question is located here:
7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data\boot.config

Current boot.config Tweaked boot config
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=
wait-for-native-de@%$#=0
scripting-runtime-version=latest
vr-enabled=0
hdr-display-enabled=0
gc-max-time-slice=3
gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1
wait-for-native-de@%$#=0
scripting-runtime-version=latest
vr-enabled=0
hdr-display-enabled=0
gc-max-time-slice=3

system 1
CPU: i7 6700K | GPU: 1080ti | Ram: 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz
rFGi8z5.png

system 2
CPU: R9 5950x | GPU: 3090 | Ram: 64GB DDR4 3600Mhz
1d0n5ZJ.png

I can tell you exactly why No 1 happens.

Valheim and 7DTD like CPU speed more than CPU cores. Therefore, limiting to 4 cores allows the CPU to turbo higher as they all have "per core" turbo that depends on how much is being used.

If you turned on "Multi-core enhancement" in your BIOS (I believe this is available for both AMD and Intel) you'd see the exact same behaviour happen as your system auto-overclocks ALL cores to the "single core turbo" speed. However, be aware this uses more voltage and more heat.

Tested it myself by limiting 7DTD to 4 cores at 5.1ghz vs 8 cores at 4.8ghz.

32 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I can tell you exactly why No 1 happens.

Valheim and 7DTD like CPU speed more than CPU cores. Therefore, limiting to 4 cores allows the CPU to turbo higher as they all have "per core" turbo that depends on how much is being used.

If you turned on "Multi-core enhancement" in your BIOS (I believe this is available for both AMD and Intel) you'd see the exact same behaviour happen as your system auto-overclocks ALL cores to the "single core turbo" speed. However, be aware this uses more voltage and more heat.

Tested it myself by limiting 7DTD to 4 cores at 5.1ghz vs 8 cores at 4.8ghz.

That may be a factor with newer hardware, however the 6700k is a 4 core 8 thread cpu, so not utilising the 4 virtual cores has a minimal impact on how much power the chip draws. It's also an older cpu that doesn't have todays boost technology's and it was running a static all core 4.5Ghz overclock so any boost behaviour wouldn't apply there. The 5950x system however does indeed boost significantly higher with only a few cores under any kind of load, however i've benchmarked stock cpu performance against a static per ccx overclock on a 3950x and the gains of a few hundred Mhz higher boost don't come anywhere near the performance gain from assigning 4 true cores. So if the cores are running at a fixed frequency and assigning affinity still yields a significant boost, it must be another reason. I'd wondered if it was just unity being optimised for systems with 4 threads, there was a very long period where 4 core i5's where the go to choice for gaming systems.

Sounds about right. I did my testing on my 10850K before I started messing with overclocking properly (5.2ghz single, 5.1ghz dual, 5ghz quad, 4.8ghz all-core, tweaked numbers to 5.2ghz single/dual, 5.1ghz quad for the test. Now running 5.2ghz single -> quad, 5ghz all core)

8 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Sounds about right. I did my testing on my 10850K before I started messing with overclocking properly (5.2ghz single, 5.1ghz dual, 5ghz quad, 4.8ghz all-core, tweaked numbers to 5.2ghz single/dual, 5.1ghz quad for the test. Now running 5.2ghz single -> quad, 5ghz all core)

I tried to keep the traditional overclock methods alive for my 5950x, but the best i could do was worse than stock😄. So i had to adapt to the more modern tuning the frequency curve of the boost algorithm route. Got much better results 5-15% more performance. I mean it's nice modern hardware is already tuned near it's maximum potential out of the box, but i'll miss the satisfaction of making it run better and knowing i'm getting everything it's got out of it😂