A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

It would be cool if tools could be used as weapons, like maybe have separate perk trees to increase damage done with them. 

Then people could use shovels, hammers, pick axes, etc as weapons if they wanted. Would give some variety with already established in game stuff. 

Personally I like using the axe as a weapon to save on tool belt space as it doubles as my tool & weapon. 

8 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

It would be cool if tools could be used as weapons, like maybe have separate perk trees to increase damage done with them. 

Then people could use shovels, hammers, pick axes, etc as weapons if they wanted. Would give some variety with already established in game stuff. 

Personally I like using the axe as a weapon to save on tool belt space as it doubles as my tool & weapon. 

Problem is they can't / don't have a power attack... otherwise you already can use tools as weapons.

Have you ever tried using a T6 wrench as a weapon? I'm telling you, it's got a pretty decent blunt damage!

46 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Problem is they can't / don't have a power attack... otherwise you already can use tools as weapons.

Have you ever tried using a T6 wrench as a weapon? I'm telling you, it's got a pretty decent blunt damage!

Tools without repair function do list power attack damage...

38 minutes ago, Gouki said:

Yes, I play with mods, they give a little more life to the game, why be waiting, if in the end they introduce it to the main game, in a different way, but they do.
Regards

Personally I never play with mods. I tried them but I never find one "reasonable" enough to feel like vanilla. What I mean is that vanilla, even when still in need of some balancing, feels way more "professional" than whatever good/great mods are out there. I already said this before (I think on Steam): modders are great, sure, but the problem is they can't feel the pressure the devs have on their own game to not screw up, so they often go too far or let some very weird stuff slip into their mods. :noidea:

+1 for the radio idea.

However, I know TFP already have a plot in mind for the game.  But I always thought that having ultra rare parts for a radio would be great for am endgame strategy.  Once you get all the parts and are happy with ending the current playthrough, you use the radio to get rescued and the end credits roll.

Kinda like Minecraft... You can play forever, but if you want you can kill the Ender dragon and have that sense of accomplishment of having beat the game.

Hey, that supply plane has to he coming from somewhere!

Edited by DanLW
Spelling erers (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I've swung one at them before, same with the pick axe. Yes they can do decent damage in a pinch but would be nice to use as actual weapons, like dealing real damage such as the steel club or steel sledgehammer. 

I realize it can be done regardless, just saying though. 

5 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I've swung one at them before, same with the pick axe. Yes they can do decent damage in a pinch but would be nice to use as actual weapons, like dealing real damage such as the steel club or steel sledgehammer. 

I realize it can be done regardless, just saying though. 

This is done on purpose, for balance. If the axe was as good as other melee weapons but ALSO saving a slot, why even implement other melee weapons, nobody would be using them anyway.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

This is done on purpose, for balance. If the axe was as good as other melee weapons but ALSO saving a slot, why even implement other melee weapons, nobody would be using them anyway.

Well when they add Ents into the game in alpha 21 i can see axes having a bonus damage against them, as well as molotovs and other fire sources.

10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

They're not going to add Ents, sorry, Unity has an Entity limit that's already been reached. :heh:

Okay... too many ENTtittys, what about the just titty limit? Have they reached the limit there??

@Roland can you make the dev diary discussion always be at the top of the general forum page? Cause it gets buried way below a bunch of other topics and there's hardly anyone talking on it as it is. Just a request and thank you for all you do around here to keep things from falling into chaos

Edited by Maxley (see edit history)

3 hours ago, n2n1 said:

Do i understand correctly, that walking sleepers - will help revive the dead streets of cities.

Or do they have a different purpose?

I think they are just POI sleepers that actively patrol inside the POI, but I could stand to be corrected.

• Roland pinned this topic

(edit) cause what I wrote was a bit sassy.  

Dear Fun Pimps,

It is my observation that many of the advanced recipe's require pea's.  Could we possibly make it so they do not?  there are several food items that do not make anything.  Perhaps those could be utilized?

With kindest regards.

8 hours ago, Arkus201 said:

Any thoughts on adding a weapon jamming when it's durability is under 50%?  

Would really like this.

Jams, missfire, exploding ammo in the chamber hurting the player, depending on the durablity.

That was a feature on Far Cry 2 that many hated, but i loved.

9 hours ago, TSBX said:

I think they are just POI sleepers that actively patrol inside the POI, but I could stand to be corrected.

in principle, if they work in this way, they can patrol outside buildings.... and this is something...

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal , since Robert isn't here to answer, do you know if the RWG has a target RAM consumption for a20 ? The news are that you guys are ditching the 4k maps. I have mixed feelings for various reasons:

In 4k maps, the RAM RSS feed currently stands at 3800 Mb to ... 6000-6200 MB !! after around 5 (quest days/build nights) hour sessions SINGLE PLAYER. That means multiplayer can easily double after just 4-5 hours resulting in 12000+MB memory RSS feed and square and texture artifacts everywhere at virtually any time (artifacts start to happen when the dedicated memory  is filled and system RAM juggles too much).

My concern is that if we are going to get 6k maps minimum, how is that going to fare for us lads with peanut butter Pcs? At the moment I'm standing in the "just ok" rope with 4k maps consuming said 3,8 gigs to 6,2gigs  after 5 or 6 hours.

Do you have any insight on this subject ? Are 6k maps gonna have a stable 4 gigs of RSS most of the time or are they expectedly going to hit the 8 gig mark as Navezgane is currently doing ?  Senior programmers have a throne in Westeros from where they can overlook such things, right? I'm sure of it.

Salutations.

Not hard to reproduce. When dedicated memory is filled and RAM is also topping or juggling too much, it happens 100% of the time. Moving fast through the map (no need to God mode) also results in that, but again, memory HAS to be filled.

Yeh happens with alot of players. Also happens when the yellow lines thisnblock is not a parent error shows to maybe unrelated tho and just coincidental. But Certain TFP will get it fixed.