A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Edit: Just remembered. The table saw became a decorative item in A19. In A18 it was still in use, but it had few recipes attached to it, so nothing to justify its existence really.

Being without a crucible and expecting a day 28 horde of 24 max alive zombies to stay behind a fully upgraded iron door on Warrior difficulty is also pretty nutty. 😨 I had to repair it almost constantly. And those darn buzzards gave me every debuff under the sun.

Yeah it seems like higher game difficulties are just too much to deal with in early game stages which is why I generally change the difficulty to a higher level later when I have some skill and gear.

@madmole Xeen had a pretty interesting solution for the "scrapping issue"; why not add a mod that can be installed into the workbench that reduces scrapping time, similar to how the Anvil/Advanced bellows works in the forge. (Not in function, but in idea/purpose.)

I think it would be great anyway to have a diverse selection of mods for the other workstations.

18 hours ago, Lonestarcanuck said:

my wife wants to know why the female zombies are stereotyped and why there are no construction female zombies or mechanics etc. 
PS: the Stripper zombie was a great overhaul,  the nurse and others need some love.  

Having female construction workers would make it a fantasy game considering the few zombie variants. That's said if I could find a female plumber in real life I'd hire her and I would never say no to more female zombies. Then we'd have to ask for a male nurse and a male stripper. I would say their representation is typical as opposed to stereotypical.

18 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Also .. when A20 drop .. is there a chance that .. 2) Random Generation Update .. could have something like what Nitrogen gives us to work with maps making .. Just a thought.

You should check out the A20 stream a couple of weeks ago. There was a lot of info on the changes to random world generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWDPyNjaTk

12 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

@madmole Xeen had a pretty interesting solution for the "scrapping issue"; why not add a mod that can be installed into the workbench that reduces scrapping time, similar to how the Anvil/Advanced bellows works in the forge. (Not in function, but in idea/purpose.)

I think it would be great anyway to have a diverse selection of mods for the other workstations.

I don't get it. If you find some brass items you either scrap them in your backpack to save space or take them home to your base. And the only reason for the latter is to get the smelt bonus, right?

Now why would you take the unscrapped stuff home to scrap it before smelting it, losing the bonus again??? Forgot to add: ??????? 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I don't get it. If you find some brass items you either scrap them in your backpack to save space or take them home to your base. And the only reason for the latter is to get the smelt bonus, right?

Now why would you take the unscrapped stuff home to scrap it before smelting it, losing the bonus again??? Forgot to add: ??????? 😉

They are probably wanting  the benefit to apply outside the base.  Install the mod in base but get the scrapping bonus while looting

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Who says I keep my workbenches and my forges in the same base? ;) I store my forges on the tops of trees and I keep my workbenches in the heart of Dishong Tower. You're such a silly. ;)

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Who says I keep my workbenches and my forges in the same base? ;) I store my forges on the tops of trees and I keep my workbenches in the heart of Dishong Tower. You're such a silly. ;)

Your local fire department does not approve!

21 hours ago, Xeen said:

I thought I should follow up.
I am on Warrior difficulty, and roughly on game stage 440 and still no zombies at night for 99.9% of it, on two consecutive nights I had one curious scout and the other night i had one wandering horde and that's it, I had 6 generators, spinning blade traps, tons of lights, 4 forges, and 4 chemistry stations all running, and on top of that 8 burning barrels, and the zombies are just no where to be found.

Keep in mind I don't want to be constantly harassed but I don't want it to be so peaceful that I can have a moonlight luau in my backyard and have no fear that I will be attacked.

You're bugged. With that stuff running you should have a constant stream of a screamer every few minutes.

14 hours ago, SarkMCPFan said:

what about an in game setting for it? say instant, 10s 20s 1 minute 3 minutes etc type of thing?

We had that for loot open timers, but that was 86'ed. I'm glad for that. The timer itself is okay, it could just use a little tweaking to be more in-line with the other scrap timers, not ripped out entirely. :)

I just got to see a mission were Trader Joe had me go to another trader for level 2 missions. It was great. 

I am hoping that TFP's will add more missions that have the player transport items from one trader to another. 

It would give the feeling that the traders were really interacting with one another. 😊

On 12/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, Lonestarcanuck said:

my wife wants to know why the female zombies are stereotyped and why there are no construction female zombies or mechanics etc. 
PS: the Stripper zombie was a great overhaul,  the nurse and others need some love.  

The new nurse is wearing scrubs.

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@madmole I'm not really a PvP guy, but with the new RWG changes, have you guys talked about some game mode favourable to PvP ?  like, for example:

Small 2k RWG map deathmatch with build capabilities intact , and with invulnerable terrain but destroyable buildings, plus yellow bags that give plenty of ores at player/entity death to account for the lack of them  (due to invulnerable terrain) or even lots of ore for sale at traders.

I mean, tweaking that out into a solid game mode is very straightforward once the new RWG is online, and on the plus side it will bring A LOT of players to this game, given that the top long-term  holders on the Steam charts are indeed PvPs.

As I said, not really my jam, but hey, it's a couple of weeks work in exchange for tens of thousands of players. Who doesn't want thousands of Jawoodles playing their game ?:rain:

Hey I noticed that you have a thing with an umbrella standing in the rain. Did you know that water was wet? 😀

On 12/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, Lonestarcanuck said:

Here you go!  image.png

On 12/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, jdifran said:

I think any loot item that has no use in any recipe and exists only to be scrapped should be removed and the scrap brass, lead, etc., should be found instead.

Wouldn't that make looting stale, plus who finds scrap lead/brass irl. The game needs more stuff not less imo, i see everyone wants this game to be "dumb down into oblivion"

(Not the game Oblivion) but what happens happens 

3 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

Wouldn't that make looting stale, plus who finds scrap lead/brass irl. The game needs more stuff not less imo, i see everyone wants this game to be "dumb down into oblivion"

(Not the game Oblivion) but what happens happens 

I think a bunch of different items that cannot be used in any recipe or as decoration and only exist to be scrapped into one of the base raw materials are essentially the same item.  Making more of them is a waste of developer resources.  They should all just be consolidated into "brass junk", "lead junk", "iron junk", etc.  Each of these items represents various things and the icon should look like a pile of miscellaneous items of that material.  Salvage a door, get a little brass junk.  Salvage an A/C and get a lot of brass junk, iron junk, plus the other assorted ingredients that can actually be used in recipes.  Salvage a sink, get a little brass junk and a little lead junk.  You get the idea.

If the devs don't want to lose the inventory management challenge, they could make the stack size fairly small on the "junk" items so you are still be tempted to scrap it at a loss to the raw material (which would have a much larger stack size) to free up inventory slots.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:29 AM, AtomicUs5000 said:

I have to draw the line here. If TFP starts nude streaming, I'm done. Uninstall + T-shirt burning.

Ey guys, this is Joel from The Fun Pimps, I'm here today with Lathan to show you some wooden sticks !

5 hours ago, jdifran said:

I think a bunch of different items that cannot be used in any recipe or as decoration and only exist to be scrapped into one of the base raw materials are essentially the same item.  Making more of them is a waste of developer resources.  They should all just be consolidated into "brass junk", "lead junk", "iron junk", etc.  Each of these items represents various things and the icon should look like a pile of miscellaneous items of that material.  Salvage a door, get a little brass junk.  Salvage an A/C and get a lot of brass junk, iron junk, plus the other assorted ingredients that can actually be used in recipes.  Salvage a sink, get a little brass junk and a little lead junk.  You get the idea.

If the devs don't want to lose the inventory management challenge, they could make the stack size fairly small on the "junk" items so you are still be tempted to scrap it at a loss to the raw material (which would have a much larger stack size) to free up inventory slots.

They're not essentially the same item though. They're bonus resource items.

I like when I get a radiator from a car or ac unit. I can decide to bring it back to base for a brass bonus in the forge, sell it at the trader for more coin than a comparable amount of brass would yield, or just scrap or throw it away for something better. Early game I gladly sell sink faucets to the trader for a decent profit whenever I see them. Leaving a few things like this in the game just adds a bit of flavor. Especially for a resource like brass that you can not mine.

If you don't like junk items just scrap them every time.

1 hour ago, sillls said:

Yesterday I did enough missions for Trader Joe that he gave me a mission to see another trader for level II missions. I thought that was great. 

I wanted to know if TFP's plan to add delivery missions to the list. One trader sending items to another one through the player. That would be nice to see as it would look like the traders were interacting with each other. 

That already exists to some extent. It takes 10 quests to finish one tier. After graduating from one tier to another, all traders will offer a "special job" to locate the nearest trader (relative to them).

Edit: Any trader, not all, but that too

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

That already exists to some extent. It takes 10 quests to finish one tier. After graduating from one tier to another, all traders will offer a "special job" to locate the nearest trader (relative to them).

Edit: Any trader, not all, but that too

Yes there is but I want to or hope they will add to it. :)