Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

32 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

😆 At first I couldn’t figure what I had wrote required him to edit……then I realized he edited the post I quoted and then went into my post and edited his post again.

Just to be clear for the conspiracy theorists out there, I edited out a part of someone's post that was crude and insulting while leaving the gist of their post the same. I did not edit the original estimate I gave for when A20 would be released in order to rewrite history and world domination.

I think we should skip past A21 and go straight for A22. That's a common tactic these days to make anything sound better.

Possible bug: I can't click on anything in the crafting menu sometimes. May be due to ALT-TABbing around my windows. It shows as if I'm typing in the search bar but I'm not even trying to. Fixes if I reload back in.

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Got a couple of hours in (on company time of course) and lots of fun. A20 seems way harder, which is always welcome. I actually died on night one like a noob when a random feral got in my crappily boarded up garage with me and ripped me to shreds! A lot of my settings got reset, but I think I may be on max difficulty or something because these zombies are kicking my butt nearly as hard as the stamina bar is

I got a T3 Pipe Baton, it's like the game knew I was going to go int. I do think it's a bit weird that you can craft a club out of wood but the pipe baton takes pipes and glue etc . . . but the wooden club seems better stat wise. Pipe baton animations are too sick not to use though

Ammo spawns are *very* prevelant. I think I had over 200 of several ammo before I even finished my T1 PoI I spawned next to.

Performance is really rough for some reason. I've got a 5600x and 6900xt which should not even notice this game is running, but I'm still getting some pretty bad hitches when moving near a PoI. I assume it's spawning the sleeper inside them or something

Definitely a ton of fun so far, very excited to play later when stupid customers stop calling me with their dumb problems during "work hours" 🙄

What video resolution? I'm going to buy a new card (3080 Ti or 6900XT) so that's an important feed.

13 minutes ago, littlegreen said:

I noticed my Ivy Bridge-gen Xeon generated the world much much faster! 8192x8192 - less RAM used, a LOT less time! If only we could loot bird nests :D (I'll post that in the bug-report thread)

Do you still have mods?  Someone else reported the same issue and then realizes they had alpha19 mods still.  Loot containers changed for A20.  So any mods that affect the loot.xml file has a chance to mess up the world.

I hate to necro the new farming complain train, but I had a shower thought that might put some players mind's at ease about it. 

We have to remember that we aren't playing this theorycrafting game with a full deck of cards, the devs know what is going to happen in future updates so things that come out today might be setting up for future things.

In this case, they did give us a teaser over a year ago that likely most of us forgot about:

farmor.thumb.png.7f2f247af8c59574cb73bdee031d58bd.png

A lot of these bonuses didn't sound good back when they were revealed... but suddenly they look pretty spicy. Granted, this all got delayed to a21 (hopefully) and obviously anything could change and numbers aren't set in stone. But let's consider that this is roughly what they are still looking at and math out how crazy late game farms could be for an actual dedicated farmer.

With a quality 6 farmer armor (farmor?) set, we'd be getting an extra crop per harvest and a 60% chance at a seed. So in the 10 crop example, for a19 you'd get 30 crops per harvest. In the optimistic future of a21, this set combined with maxed LOTL would give 90 crops (2+1 base times 3 so 9 per harvest) and average 6 seeds per harvest, resulting in a staggering 70 crop profit; more than double that of the a19 system. Heck, even if you massively low roll and get 0 seeds back, you'd still see a 40 crop harvest after crafting 10 new seeds thus exceeding the previous alpha even in a catastrophically unlucky scenario. But, having to find high quality of this armor which would likely be loot stage gated is going to push this to a much later point in the game compared to a19 where you could set up a passive farm in the first week or so and remove hunger forever.

Basically, farming may be intentionally nerfed at the start especially for players who don't perk into living off the land, but if you want to fully invest in farming, it may end up being even more rewarding than what we have now. I'd pay the cost of re-sowing my seeds each time if I were able to get double the rewards in the future. We may just have to suck it up for a20 for the promised land future of a21 lol. Super corn aside, casual farming is still fine averaging only 0.5 crops less per harvest if you have 1 point in the skill. (seriously though, farm bundle 3 needs to give 2 super corn seeds to remove most of the feel bad moments!) 

Just now, MisutoM said:

I hate to necro the new farming complain train, but I had a shower thought that might put some players mind's at ease about it. 

We have to remember that we aren't playing this theorycrafting game with a full deck of cards, the devs know what is going to happen in future updates so things that come out today might be setting up for future things.

In this case, they did give us a teaser over a year ago that likely most of us forgot about:

farmor.thumb.png.7f2f247af8c59574cb73bdee031d58bd.png

A lot of these bonuses didn't sound good back when they were revealed... but suddenly they look pretty spicy. Granted, this all got delayed to a21 (hopefully) and obviously anything could change and numbers aren't set in stone. But let's consider that this is roughly what they are still looking at and math out how crazy late game farms could be for an actual dedicated farmer.

With a quality 6 farmer armor (farmor?) set, we'd be getting an extra crop per harvest and a 60% chance at a seed. So in the 10 crop example, for a19 you'd get 30 crops per harvest. In the optimistic future of a21, this set combined with maxed LOTL would give 90 crops (2+1 base times 3 so 9 per harvest) and average 6 seeds per harvest, resulting in a staggering 70 crop profit; more than double that of the a19 system. Heck, even if you massively low roll and get 0 seeds back, you'd still see a 40 crop harvest after crafting 10 new seeds thus exceeding the previous alpha even in a catastrophically unlucky scenario. But, having to find high quality of this armor which would likely be loot stage gated is going to push this to a much later point in the game compared to a19 where you could set up a passive farm in the first week or so and remove hunger forever.

Basically, farming may be intentionally nerfed at the start especially for players who don't perk into living off the land, but if you want to fully invest in farming, it may end up being even more rewarding than what we have now. I'd pay the cost of re-sowing my seeds each time if I were able to get double the rewards in the future. We may just have to suck it up for a20 for the promised land future of a21 lol. Super corn aside, casual farming is still fine averaging only 0.5 crops less per harvest if you have 1 point in the skill. (seriously though, farm bundle 3 needs to give 2 super corn seeds to remove most of the feel bad moments!) 

I thought the clothing idea was ditched as pretty much everyone hated it?

@MisutoM Following that logic then there is a fair chance they may be swapping deadeye and machine gunner or altering the perk trees in some other manner.

Edit: The issue I have with the change they made to farming is that even with points invested, unless you get really lucky with looting or where you spawn in you are not going to be able to get a farm going, and are likely to lose resources completely, before you've invested allot into the attribute + perk thanks to the coin toss to even be able to replant. Corn, mushrooms and potato seeds still require having found the recipe or having invested 7 points (so 3-7 levels if hard focused on getting to that point priority and depending on if the player does the starter quests) total into fort + LotL 1 & 2 right? LotL 3 is locked behind fort 7 as well iirc.

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

This seems like an issue that will probably need to be addressed. There's a clear reload speed difference between the pipe weapons, and the pipe pistol especially is atrocious. Every streamer I've seen test them was of the opinion that the pipe pistol was the worst one, so it having the longest reload definitely doesn't help. Pipe machine gun seems to be the clear winner, they were already saying to build it over the lever action in every situation and just use controlled fire rate. Even the pipe shotgun seems to lose out to the machine gun in most situations

This doesn’t make sense.  I jumped into a test world and compared a Q6 pipe machine gun to Q6 lever action rifle.  The damage of the lever action was almost twice the damage of the machine gun.

So if I was someone that was trying to make every shot count, the lever action rifle would be the clear winner.

I had my doubts on this stamp stuff but I gotta say -- awesome job with the new Random Gen --- it is Very nice.     A16 previously had the best random gen but A20 easily surpasses it.  Once stable hits this will be the first Alpha in several that I play with a random gen map created by the game instead of a 3rd party utility.

Looking forward to having more stamp variety in both Vanilla and with mods --  I hope vanilla gets a bunch more city type stamps for variety.

Performance seems on par with A19 for me -- maybe a bit smoother - VSYNC on seems to help believe it or not.. usually I play all games with it off -- even other versions of 7 days.   I have a new PC downstairs with an RTX3080 on a large TV for Flight Sim / Racing Games & VR PRON, even platformer type games.   That PC acts as my "console" with a control pad and steering wheels etc -- but this PC is rocking a vintage GTX1080 and I7 6700k.  Real men play First Person Games with keyboard/mouse and ultra-wide monitor, of course.  

I do want to try to run a server downstairs on the better PC and just use the weaker one to connect to it  --  would that increase performance?  anyone have an easy to follow quick guide? lol

3 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

This doesn’t make sense.  I jumped into a test world and compared a Q6 pipe machine gun to Q6 lever action rifle.  The damage of the lever action was almost twice the damage of the machine gun.

So if I was someone that was trying to make every shot count, the lever action rifle would be the clear winner.

@Khalagar Lever action is the tier 2 rifle (pipe -> hunting -> lever -> sniper), it replaced the Marksman Rifle. They're comparing the tier 0 MG to the Rifle that is on par with the Tactical Assault Rifle in level.

From the Change log:

Renamed all occurrences of gunRifleT2MarksmanRifle to gunRifleT2LeverActionRifle

Archived