Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

Hello.

I is sooo wrong that you guys (The Fun Pimps) says A20 will release on Monday 6th Dec.

We not all from the same time zone, so not all will get it monday.

I have been waiting all day for the update, but no luck, so to next time, you guys (The Fun Pimps) set a release date, so also set a time.

And btw. if the date not correct, so it's a BIG lie.

2 minutes ago, Thomasen said:

Hello.

I is sooo wrong that you guys (The Fun Pimps) says A20 will release on Monday 6th Dec.

I have been waiting all day for the update, but no luck, so to next time, you guys (The Fun Pimps) set a release date, so also set a time.

They have said repeatedly its an estimate and depends on severity of issues discovered.  I'd much rather they delay hours or days and get a major bug patched than get an unplayable release and wait weeks/months for a bigger patch.  

3 minutes ago, Thomasen said:

Hello.

There was no time set. We just made the hopefully final build and are still testing. Any date/time we give is of course going to differ with all the time zones that are in the world and potentially be after midnight for some people.

6 minutes ago, Thomasen said:

Hello.

It's still 6th December their time. I am also in a different time zone, but I get that I need to count from where The Fun Pimps are. Been doing so since early Alphas. All good. As long as it's ready for release, I'll take it when they see fit to produce it for us. 

1 minute ago, overgoat said:

They have said repeatedly its an estimate and depends on severity of issues discovered.  I'd much rather they delay hours or days and get a major bug patched than get an unplayable release and wait weeks/months for a bigger patch.  

It's come a long way from joining in 2014 and we got updates every week and we broke it/bug reported every day almost.  I think I'm on my third motherboard since the game first dropped.  I took a break on and off and love the style of game it is and what it's becoming.

4 minutes ago, overgoat said:

So what so serious they found? More importantly, what did they fix?😂

1 minute ago, bachgaman said:

It would be nice to see an appended patch notes to see how many issues were resolved as a direct result of findings of streamer weekend.  Not to justify it, but maybe convince a handful of folks who railed against steamer weekend ;) 

40 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

And here is the problem. Sacrificing early food supply for a chance to break just under even from planting and being able to keep planting. If you don't get the seed back then you don't have 4 potatoes, you have 4/5ths of the next seed you need and an empty stomach, or you have the 40 food from the potatoes to fuel you while you roll the dice on containers and traders to have some other food since trying to farm early game is pointless.

The thing is you got a choice. Hoard them or make food out of them (and hopefully something better than baked potato) while betting that you will have better chances in the future with a minibike to find a rich potato field. A survival game should provide tough choices for the player to make.

You seem to argue for a safety net, a guarantee not to get a dud. There should be no guarantees in a survival game. Why should the road to a farm be without "betting" some seeds or potatoes like a farmer in real live has to do as well?

I had a game with really bad luck where I didn't find a potato until day 40. So what? I had to adapt and make food without potatoes for a long time.

With the changes in A20 the minimum amount of seeds to have a relatively guaranteed startup is 2 seeds now. Makes it slightly more difficult, but one trader offer or potato field later you have your guarantee.

Currently it is 12pm in Texas USA. The QA guys are testing the build that was pushed with several fixes and optimizations that resulted from the weekend. It will be about an hour if this build checks out but longer if they need to bake another build. It should still come out today. We are close to being right on schedule. A19 released a couple hours after 12pm as well. 

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Currently it is 12pm in Texas USA. The QA guys are testing the build that was pushed with several fixes and optimizations that resulted from the weekend. It will be about an hour if this build checks out but longer if they need to bake another build. It should still come out today. We are close to being right on schedule. A19 released a couple hours after 12pm as well. 

And now the beta dropdown in 7DTD is the most clicked icon on steam.

8 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

faatal just said that he was able to optimize the downtown areas so that when everyone without jobs plays today they'll be able to have a better experience. Of course, by time you play this coming weekend because of how tight your weekday schedule is, there will probably be even more fixes so that when you are on insane nightmare and trying to not exploit the trader you also will have a great experience.

31 minutes ago, KindaCringe said:

has there been any update on a delay?

24 minutes ago, Thomasen said:

Hello.

People it has been said repeatedly that they weren't even having a meeting until 12:00 CST to address the state of the release and see if it was ready, and then it will take hours to push the update out.

It's literally been 20 minutes, go eat lunch, take a poop, take a shower, then take a nap. All in that order, and A20 will almost certainly be out after you wake up in a better mood with less tension. Earliest safe estimate is probably 2:00 CST, more realistic is probably 5pm or later

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

We can't have them working during lunchtime, that's not right. Hey pimps I'm down the street a bit at Whataburger come join me I'm buying.  

6 minutes ago, overgoat said:

It would be nice to see an appended patch notes to see how many issues were resolved as a direct result of findings of streamer weekend.  Not to justify it, but maybe convince a handful of folks who railed against steamer weekend ;) 

Most of the players of this game are not even on this forum. They probably doesn't care at all, because they don't even know about this event. For some reason, I'm sure that if you ask an common player what he would prefer - to watch streams on A20 or play in A20, he would choose the second most often. So, calling someone a "handful" is just ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The thing is you got a choice. Hoard them or make food out of them (and hopefully something better than baked potato) while betting that you will have better chances in the future with a minibike to find a rich potato field. A survival game should provide tough choices for the player to make.

You seem to argue for a safety net, a guarantee not to get a dud. There should be no guarantees in a survival game. Why should the road to a farm be without "betting" some seeds or potatoes like a farmer in real live has to do as well?

I had a game with really bad luck where I didn't find a potato until day 40. So what? I had to adapt and make food without potatoes for a long time.

With the changes in A20 the minimum amount of seeds to have a relatively guaranteed startup is 2 seeds now. Makes it slightly more difficult, but one trader offer or potato field later you have your guarantee.

That really bad luck game would be even worse in A20 since they've also reduced the availability of what you ended up relying on until you found that potato. Anyways, my middle ground suggestion follows, basically a repost from my post a few above yours. % chance of getting a seed is a placeholder for what ever they think would slow the accumulation down to they like. The main point is having a harvest with just crops will still allow someone who is just starting out and has invested at least one point into the perk to be able to keep planting. Bad rng would not leave the player worse off than if they'd never bothered planting in the first place other than having burnt time needed for other aspects of survival and prep for the horde.

Reduce the chance to get a seed to 25% and drop the cost to craft a seed of any type to 4 "fruits". It would make investing into the perk necessary while still slowing the accumulation of crops. With LotL 1 at worse the player will break even instead of being net negative for the investment of crop while still digging into the core resource of the game, time, to keep things going.

12 minutes ago, Roland said:

faatal just said that he was able to optimize the downtown areas so that when everyone without jobs plays today they'll be able to have a better experience. Of course, by time you play this coming weekend because of how tight your weekday schedule is, there will probably be even more fixes so that when you are on insane nightmare and trying to not exploit the trader you also will have a great experience.

Lol how toxic. You probably really hoped that I would be incredibly offended by your false message, but believe me, I'm used to people on this forum taking one word from a paragraph and using it against you, ignoring everything else.

He wrote that he noticed this on Friday, what does your event have to do with it? And besides, they were able to play with it, why couldn't I?

27 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

People it has been said repeatedly that they weren't even having a meeting until 12:00 CST to address the state of the release and see if it was ready, and then it will take hours to push the update out.

It's literally been 20 minutes, go eat lunch, take a poop, take a shower, then take a nap. All in that order, and A20 will almost certainly be out after you wake up in a better mood with less tension. Earliest safe estimate is probably 2:00 CST, more realistic is probably 5pm or later

Aren't you supposed to shower before you poop?

22 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Most of the players of this game are not even on this forum. They probably doesn't care at all, because they don't even know about this event. For some reason, I'm sure that if you ask an common player what he would prefer - to watch streams on A20 or play in A20, he would choose the second most often. So, calling someone a "handful" is just ridiculous.

First you say that most players aren't on this forum, and don't know about the event. Then you say referring to them as a "handful" is ridiculous. Which is it? 

Personally I think you were right the first time. There are some of us hardcores that are eager, and are active on these forums. A handful of the forum people complained about the event. But most people aren't aware of it, and don't care. They will play the new version when it comes out. 

Most probably won't even be aware of or bother with the experimental build. That's a subsection of 7DTD players that will check the beta option in a game. Of those, the amount obsessed with getting the next version (which totally includes me) are a subsection of those people. Then the number of us that were actually that butthurt about waiting 3 days longer than some streamers is an even further subsection of that!

Yeah, handful seems like the appropriate word to me. 

40 minutes ago, Roland said:

Thank you and they said they were meeting at 12 pm to discuss what they were doing so a couple more hours or even a day or two....ouch.....is still reasonable.....lol.....still waiting Impatiently.......and to the one who suggested to get them bagels instead of beagles come on be nice they are enjoying their beagles....lol 

17 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Lol how toxic. You probably really hoped that I would be incredibly offended by your false message, but believe me, I'm used to people on this forum taking one word from a paragraph and using it against you, ignoring everything else.

He wrote that he noticed this on Friday, what does your event have to do with it? And besides, they were able to play with it, why couldn't I?

THAT was toxic? I'm sorry if you were offended.

Look, everyone here can attest that you have posted way more than one word about how you won't be able to play a bit of 7 Days to Die until this next coming weekend because you work and have a job. I really wish you HAD only mentioned it once for me to have to pick it out of some obscure post. 

It may have been Friday but it was after watching a streamer play. That's the point. You asked what was fixed thanks to the weekend stream and faatal gave you an example. To that you are going to exclude days of the event since it messes up your narrative?