Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

This doesn’t make sense.  I jumped into a test world and compared a Q6 pipe machine gun to Q6 lever action rifle.  The damage of the lever action was almost twice the damage of the machine gun.

So if I was someone that was trying to make every shot count, the lever action rifle would be the clear winner.

Lever Action Rifle is the new tier 2 rifle. Pipe machine gun is a tier 0 gun. It'd be more fair to compare the pipe rifle to the pipe machine gun since the LAR needs a much high loot stage to find. At which point, you're looking at 66 damage vs 45 damage, so around a 50% increase. But you have a single shot loaded and over a 3 second reload animation, compared to pipe machine gun having 20 rounds loaded and a slightly faster reload animation. Given how common ammo still is (like getting 60 .762 per trader quest), it's unlikely you'd rather have 50% more per shot vs having 19 more shots loaded. 

• Like 1

How's this for a coincidence or is it?

Before the release I compared waiting to the wait for rain here in the tropics (the build up) 

You may not believe it but it rained last night for the first time this season and top make it self known lightning was crashing all around us with little or no lag between light and sound.

Seems TFP has way more influence than previously known ;)

So yeah thanks for the release and also the rain both of which are more than welcome.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Quick question : why is there numbers in the ''Random'' slider, in Generate World? And what do they mean?

I think if you put bigger numbers into that slider, the biome generation will be more random than big chunks in a specific layout? Could be 100% wrong, so don't quote me on that though

15 minutes ago, Dares said:

I'm renting a server and trying now to set i up. Can't find the feral sense feature. There is a "advanced mode" where i can see the xml or some parts of it, and can't find it there too. Help please ? :)

It's in the serverconfig.xml

1 minute ago, Star69 said:

Be sure you are using the serverconfig from A20 and not A19

I'm using 4netplayers servers. They offer to change settings in "basic mode" or "advanced" where i can see the xml of the server. So it's not in my local files. Gonna have to contact them tomorrow. Or is there any command to check if feral sense is working ?

57 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

"console" with a control pad and steering wheels etc -- but this PC is rocking a vintage GTX1080 and I7 6700k.  Real men play First Person Games with keyboard/mouse and ultra-wide monitor, of course.  

I do want to try to run a server downstairs on the better PC and just use the weaker one to connect to it  --  would that increase performance?  anyone have an easy to follow quick guide? lol

As a console peasant, I take offence of this..

I can't wait for 7DTD to come out for console, my xbox can run Ark like Butter so i can't imagen 7DTD running on it.

Sure no mods but i don't play with them anyways, IDC if i have to rebuy it 2 times! 

1 hour ago, MisutoM said:

Lever Action Rifle is the new tier 2 rifle. Pipe machine gun is a tier 0 gun. It'd be more fair to compare the pipe rifle to the pipe machine gun since the LAR needs a much high loot stage to find. At which point, you're looking at 66 damage vs 45 damage, so around a 50% increase. But you have a single shot loaded and over a 3 second reload animation, compared to pipe machine gun having 20 rounds loaded and a slightly faster reload animation. Given how common ammo still is (like getting 60 .762 per trader quest), it's unlikely you'd rather have 50% more per shot vs having 19 more shots loaded. 

Yes I could see that (T0 pipe rifle vs T0 machine gun) rather than saying it is better than the T2 Lever action rifle.

I found the Lever Action rifle fun to play with in my test world so I wouldn't pick the T0 machine gun over it.

I feel like getting rid of the reinforced concrete in drying times is kind of counterintuitive being panicked that your concrete wasn’t going to dry in time was part of seven days and now there’s even less building block tiers.  I know they increase the health on the box but there should be just a more variety such as reinforced stone or something 

• Like 1

Wow… just wow!!! This alpha was so worth the wait!!! Could write a book of the fun things in my few hour play session tonight. 

one highlight was finishing a downtown filler quest right when the time hit 22:00… we were stuck for a few in game hours as there were so many spawned zombies trying to get to us (we have feral sense turned to all). After we killed a bunch of Zeds we finally jumped out a window to get to our bike and made a run for it!

PS… also having so much fun with the new POi’s. Don’t want to give spoilers so I’ll keep it vague. Had a small POI on edge of town that I though would be an easy tier 1, and thought I could handle at night on day 2… ended up being bigger than expected and got wrecked lol… 

Thank you Fun Pimps for all the hard work!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Could you check something when you get a chance. The wooden club is single target but, based on what I've seen on stream, I think the pipe baton can hit multiple enemies in a single strike for full or near full effect and also seems to have a decent chance to stagger or knockdown each of the ones hit.

Pipe Baton sometimes hits two targets, I have noticed that, so you might be right. Bigger issue though is that the Pipe Baton just doesn't really fit the electrocute perk line that well.  From intellect it gets 300% headshot damage and then electrocute gives it only 50% flat damage because it doesn't get any of the stun buffs from the perk line like the stun baton does. It also can't use the stun baton mods as best I can tell. Compare that to Club and the pummel Pete for example, where it gets 50% damage and like 4 other extra modifiers, it would be nice if pipe baton benefited from more of the perk

It's a shame, I actually love the Pipe Baton because it's animations are so fun and want to keep using it past early game.

Dunno, will need more testing to see if the pipe baton stays relevant late game, it might just flat out out scale the stun baton lol, it already feels MUCH better than any Stun Baton build I've done even with a fully kitted out stun baton compared to my 4 intellect 0 perk Pipe Baton

This is one of those "The Fun Pimps already did all the work to make the animations, model, rigging etc, so why not just make it more usable" things to me. I feel like you could easily just go Pipe Baton -> Stun Baton -> Steel Baton and let the final steel baton have an electric charge on it and use the pipe baton animations and get the stun batons shock effects.

5 hours ago, lord_ahriman said:
8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

What video resolution? I'm going to buy a new card (3080 Ti or 6900XT) so that's an important feed.

1440p on my my main monitor, 4K on my two side ones. Game runs at 1440p, and framerate is pretty good outside of the game stopping hitches that happen periodically

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Pipe Baton sometimes hits two targets, I have noticed that, so you might be right. Bigger issue though is that the Pipe Baton just doesn't really fit the electrocute perk line that well.  From intellect it gets 300% headshot damage and then electrocute gives it only 50% flat damage because it doesn't get any of the stun buffs from the perk line like the stun baton does. It also can't use the stun baton mods as best I can tell.

If it is causing stagger against multiple targets with decent regularity then the pipe baton is working as a crowd control trainer for using the stun baton later.

I agree that a 3rd baton type being added above the stun baton combining the pipe baton's animation & multi target (if that is actually what I've been seeing) and the stun baton's shock effect would be nice. They could even keep the per target physical damage a bit lower than the steel club and a slower attack rate with the addition of the shock effect on a hypothetical Tier 3 and I'd be happy with it.

Now if only they'd give Int a tier 0 robot to practice the play style with. Could even be a slow firing, narrow cone (20 deg to either side of the center facing), automated sling shot or onager that uses the robotic turret ammo. :)

• Like 1

It kind of hits two targets, but I don't think it sweeps as much as a sledge or anything. I would compare it's AoE to a club, which can also sometimes stagger two targets I'm 99% sure. The only times I've had the pipe baton do it, is when I use the power attack and they are lined up to both get poked by the thrust, so its' not exactly reliable AoE and I don't feel like the pipe baton is staggering any more than a club does, so it's not really carving out any kind of niche besides just "It at least scales with your perk stat and has cool animations"

Man this Alpha rocks, worth the wait. I died on day F'ing one, mid day at that, in that stupid post office/supply store or whatever it is connected to it. 

Decided to raid it on my way to a quest & in the main room met like 8 zombies. Good times!! 

I did notice I got a few multiple hit shots with my tier 1 wooden club on power attacks. (Earlier posts people were getting this with the pipe baton as well). I don't remember this being a thing in A19 but I could be wrong. 

Edited by Outlaw_187 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

So far still only one death to the day 1 feral that spawned outside my crappy starting shack (with feral sense on, at night), but I'm about to do a generator mission at night so I have low expectations of survival. My friend is on like 6 deaths I'm pretty sure lol

A20 definitely seems harder despite the better starting weapons, or maybe because of it. Nothing quite like the "Pfft, oh no, one zombie, what ever will I do?" cocky pride followed by "WHY IS MY PIPE SHOTGUN NOT LOADED?!!!!!" as you get ripped to shreds

• Haha 2