Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, gamingsanctum said:

To confirm, when it launches - do we need to switch to Beta channel to download A20 or is it going to land on the release channel?

Experimental Beta channel

If you want to keep A19, of course make a copy of files.

Be ready! its a 13GB unpack once you download it

18 minutes ago, KindaCringe said:

LOL bro the deadline was 12:00, no excuses,

There was no 12:00 pm CST deadline.

The only 12:00 pm CST mention was the meeting to discuss the experimental release of Alpha 20.  The best estimate we got was from Roland who said he hopes it would be similar to Alpha 19 where it was released a few hours after their meeting. 

And I even tracked down the post for you

It's about 13 posts down, or Roland's second post in that thread.

I LOVE it so much already. It was just a littttttleeee sneak peek I did in the world generation, but not too much sneak peek yet, my friends and I are gonna wait for stable to actually play it :D

From the 5 minutes I've looked around the world gen and cities, it already looks amazing, TFP

Where do we report bugs? I've already found a couple.

The major one is an infinite block issue. I built a wood frame for the starting quest and placed it down only to find that I still had the frame in my toolbelt. I can continue to place more frames down indefinitely. I can also pick up all of those blocks and scrap them for wood. Long story short, I can build one frame and turn it into an infinite number of additional wood blocks.

After enabling the creative menu I was able to confirm that the same issue exists for other frame blocks such as steel. For just 10 steel I can build one steel frame block which in turn can be placed down an infinite number of times. In other words, I can build an entire steel base out of one steel frame block.

Hey guys, just a question for everyone.

Do you have in a20 the same "problem" that doors, campfires, bedrolls and other stuff remains in the inventory after placing. So if you pick it up it just get one more or you can place unlimited chests? 

HELP

Okay so I went to create a new world, tinkered around with the settings (blood moon frequency, day walk speed, etc.) and once I was happy I selected 10k map size, a game name, and a world seed. I went under advanced generation at the bottom left corner of the screen, tinkered around with those settings (mountains, towns, etc.), put in the identical world seed and map size, and clicked Generate. 10 minutes later it showed a preview so I backed out. The Generated World Name and the Game Name were in red text and the option to click Start was grayed out.

How does one customize their world in the advanced generator and then play that world? :)

19 minutes ago, TGondii said:

The major one is an infinite block issue. I built a wood frame for the starting quest and placed it down only to find that I still had the frame in my toolbelt. I can continue to place more frames down indefinitely. I can also pick up all of those blocks and scrap them for wood. Long story short, I can build one frame and turn it into an infinite number of additional wood blocks.

After enabling the creative menu I was able to confirm that the same issue exists for other frame blocks such as steel. For just 10 steel I can build one steel frame block which in turn can be placed down an infinite number of times. In other words, I can build an entire steel base out of one steel frame block.

A20 Bugs - 7 Days to Die

20 minutes ago, TGondii said:

Try clicking on the green banner at the top of the page and see if the link works for you. There has been some technical difficulties getting the bug report page up and going but hopefully you can get there and report.

20 minutes ago, TGondii said:

18 minutes ago, Philipp said:

Hey guys, just a question for everyone.

Do you have in a20 the same "problem" that doors, campfires, bedrolls and other stuff remains in the inventory after placing. So if you pick it up it just get one more or you can place unlimited chests? 

Sounds like you may have creative mode on, might have been turned on by default.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

There was no 12:00 pm CST deadline.

The only 12:00 pm CST mention was the meeting to discuss the experimental release of Alpha 20.  The best estimate we got was from Roland who said he hopes it would be similar to Alpha 19 where it was released a few hours after their meeting.

The meeting was at 11 AM, but I said noon in a post/chat/something since anything can change and people don't need to know every exact detail, since they love to tie you to it.

22 minutes ago, executor2 said:

I see that the game is much more smooth. For curiosity what was the problem for the jitters in FPS ?

Just a lot of things hitting the main thread leading to spikes. I've spent the last year occasionally hunting the spikes and reducing them. A big one was chunk collider mesh baking, which now happens on a separate thread.

6 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Sounds like you may have creative mode on, might have been turned on by default.

CM now causes certain blocks to not reduce in count, which makes it easier on POI designers.

CM is off by default, but if player does not wipe all their files, it could cause odd issues.

7 hours ago, bachgaman said:

First. Of course, I also did not watch a single stream. By the way, I think nothing happened this weekend, as expected, these "testers" did not find anything significant. 

Thanks to the stream event the general public should have better FPS for their first experience....

17 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Cheat mode was indeed on in the advanced settings. Probably a carry over from an A19 playthrough. Disabling this returned block placement to normal. No more infinite blocks.

Just a tiny check on steamdb. 7dtd jumped from position 64 to 21 in just 1 hour. And It's a Monday. I can't even begin to predict a21 player base. The green line of the graphic charts jumped so high that the internet runned out of virtual ink to draw it.

2 hours ago, hiemfire said:

That really bad luck game would be even worse in A20 since they've also reduced the availability of what you ended up relying on until you found that potato. Anyways, my middle ground suggestion follows, basically a repost from my post a few above yours. % chance of getting a seed is a placeholder for what ever they think would slow the accumulation down to they like. The main point is having a harvest with just crops will still allow someone who is just starting out and has invested at least one point into the perk to be able to keep planting. Bad rng would not leave the player worse off than if they'd never bothered planting in the first place other than having burnt time needed for other aspects of survival and prep for the horde.

I had read your suggestion, but before I could reply Khalgar made too many useless posts about farming and lagged the forum. (I'm sure it was Khalgar because only he is allowed to) 😉

Generally a worthy alternative. Personally I prefer the original version because I see it as a feature that a single seed might not be sufficient (To feel success there has to be a chance of failure), but would not really shed a tear if it was changed to that.

8 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Just a tiny check on steamdb. 7dtd jumped from position 64 to 21 in just 1 hour. And It's a Monday. I can't even begin to predict a21 player base. The green line of the graphic charts jumped so high that the internet runned out of virtual ink to draw it.

Impossible. Everyone is working until Friday night...

Archived