Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

I don't know what you mean, but you can wear anything you find.

I think they're asking about the possibility of additional "set bonuses" for combining different pieces from across sets according to their taste. As in a piece from scavenger, a piece from the farmer and a couple pieces from other sets put together to get a different "set bonus" from what you would get if you wore all of one set.

@madmoleI hope the repair quests actually lead to something changing in the world.   If we go through the effort of fixing up a POI, I'd hope that it would then be used for something by the trader.   It would be pretty (forgive me for saying) immersion breaking to then see the POI remain abandoned.  It would be pretty cool to see that we fixed it up for a reason.

@madmoleSo the downside I am seeing of this new clothing/armor thing is that my brain will want to always switch sets depending on my activity.   I'm gonna go chop trees.. gotta find my lumberjack clothes and put those on.  I'm going to mine for a while.. Gotta go find my mining outfit and put that one. etc etc etc.   Im going to want to constantly switch outfits depending on what I am doing.. its micromanagement that is not fun, but would help your play.. a lot.

@madmoleA quest chain from traders that involves turning back on power plants , water plants and other utilities and farms/factories...leading to the eventual build up of traders , their goods , their forts etc. Like a slight upgrade to available items etc as you progress in "restoring civilization"

That would be a nice addition , that would at least give the illusion that you are working to making it better for the other survivors 

19 hours ago, madmole said:

They have been around forever. Screamer, fat cop, spider are all special. We have some new ones planned but are not sure when they will arrive. Tourist zombie will become a special infected once the code is in for him.

Right that makes sense, last I heard on one of the A19 live streams the radiated feral zombies will be more than just making the zombies glow green. It that a thing or am I making things up?

3 hours ago, hiemfire said:

I think they're asking about the possibility of additional "set bonuses" for combining different pieces from across sets according to their taste. As in a piece from scavenger, a piece from the farmer and a couple pieces from other sets put together to get a different "set bonus" from what you would get if you wore all of one set.

No, that would be like getting the book set bonus for not actually collecting the whole series. You will have to wear the entire outfit to get the full set bonus.

2 hours ago, Kalen said:

@madmoleI hope the repair quests actually lead to something changing in the world.   If we go through the effort of fixing up a POI, I'd hope that it would then be used for something by the trader.   It would be pretty (forgive me for saying) immersion breaking to then see the POI remain abandoned.  It would be pretty cool to see that we fixed it up for a reason.

What repair quest? That isn't in the roadmap.

1 hour ago, Mattjo6294 said:

Hoping to see dual wielding in a future alpha, dual revolvers would look cool, also a few variations of revolvers too like a mosin nagant or something to that effect 

It is never coming. Requires starting over completely and we're basically 95% done with weapons.

What about players who bought this years ago to play in some kind of realistic zombie scenario? We could not predict that game with unique structural integrity, raw graphics and dark atmosphere will get increasingly goofier first magical food, then magical candy and then magical apparel and armor sets (or skills that make your machine gun fire faster if you put some points into it xD).

Will there be 1 option to tick to disable all stuff like "be better thief after you eat candy" or "be better miner if you wear mining hat" or "negate fall damage if you got 5000 dukes in inventory"?

If UMA is going away, are we still going to be able to create and use varied archetypes with new system? Like those:

Some of us would rather have 30+ variations of zombies than just boring moe, boe, fat momma copied and pasted everywhere. Special modeled zombies should be bosses with unique powers or something, so mixed between not-so-special looking UMA zombies they would invoke "oh @%$# a boss" reaction instead. Or at least give moes and boes etc. randomized clothes, hair and skin colors.

27 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

@madmole

Are we getting any Class for intellect range weapons?
If someone says junk turret ill eat you!  

Turrets are ranged weapons. Hold and shoot.

20 minutes ago, Demonoid74 said:

@madmoleA quest chain from traders that involves turning back on power plants , water plants and other utilities and farms/factories...leading to the eventual build up of traders , their goods , their forts etc. Like a slight upgrade to available items etc as you progress in "restoring civilization"

That would be a nice addition , that would at least give the illusion that you are working to making it better for the other survivors 

That is just role playing. The actual mechanics of the quest are what matters. Our game isn't going to be a heavy RPG, it is how it is with expanded variety of quests we can get a lot of miles out of. As much as I'd like to do one off quests with flavor, special items, etc I don't think we have the manpower or the code ready to fly on something that ambitious, but completing 7 days would be a good step to get more ambitious on the next game when we have time and budget to tackle more immersive stuff. But since it is a MP game, and resources are tight, we can't just spawn NPC survivors at a POI doing chores just for immersion sake. Once you leave the area it might get reset for another player to do the same quest, so I don't think we can do what you are asking without compromising the experience for everyone in MP.

5 minutes ago, kebab39 said:

What about players who bought this years ago to play in some kind of realistic zombie scenario? We could not predict that game with unique structural integrity, raw graphics and dark atmosphere will get increasingly goofier first magical food, then magical candy and then magical apparel and armor sets (or skills that make your machine gun fire faster if you put some points into it xD).

Will there be 1 option to tick to disable all stuff like "be better thief after you eat candy" or "be better miner if you wear mining hat" or "negate fall damage if you got 5000 dukes in inventory"?

If UMA is going away, are we still going to be able to create and use varied archetypes with new system? Like those:

Some of us would rather have 30+ variations of zombies than just boring moe, boe, fat momma copied and pasted everywhere. Special modeled zombies should be bosses with unique powers or something, so mixed between not-so-special looking UMA zombies they would invoke "oh @%$# a boss" reaction instead. Or at least give moes and boes etc. randomized clothes, hair and skin colors.

The game is exactly as we described it on the kickstarter 7 years ago, but your interpretation of what those features might look like and play like is different than ours. Magical food? Dude food is magic IRL. You can cure diseases with the proper food, coffee gives you buffs in real life, etc. Ours is gamey so it makes sense to players. What is candy is really drugs, or drugs packaged in candy bags. Future drugs, set in a future game. It isn't that hard to believe.

UMA will be gone and no UMA code will work. If you want to add new zombies you model and texture them just like we do.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

UMA will be gone and no UMA code will work. If you want to add new zombies you model and texture them just like we do.

So if I want to have 1 zombie that wears hat and trousers, and another one that does not wear it and have a helmet there instead, I would have to make a separate models for those variation? Or there is a way to swap their clothes more easily (let's say they are all rigged properly to skeleton etc.)?

14 minutes ago, madmole said:

That is just role playing. The actual mechanics of the quest are what matters. Our game isn't going to be a heavy RPG, it is how it is with expanded variety of quests we can get a lot of miles out of. As much as I'd like to do one off quests with flavor, special items, etc I don't think we have the manpower or the code ready to fly on something that ambitious, but completing 7 days would be a good step to get more ambitious on the next game when we have time and budget to tackle more immersive stuff. But since it is a MP game, and resources are tight, we can't just spawn NPC survivors at a POI doing chores just for immersion sake. Once you leave the area it might get reset for another player to do the same quest, so I don't think we can do what you are asking without compromising the experience for everyone in MP.

Thank you for the explanation. Although these kinds of immersive quests would be cool, I understand what you are saying. You guys are pushing for gold and have a vision, I believe in the Fun Pimps Plan!

8 hours ago, RhinoW said:

Considering the new generator quest, wouldn't it also be a good time to revise and improve the existing quests?

- Fetch -----> (Person) needs (amount) (item)   [RNG]

They would have specific PoI's and items to collect in normal containers (for example, collecting grades of beer, gas, ammo, break into a safe)

It's rather boring finding the same "Riverwood supplies" hidden in the same place

I had a similar thought, my quest would be to scavenge certain items and sell them to the trader at an increased  price. For example,  you would be told "we have a special project starting and we need electrical parts:  for the next 3 days the sell price is doubled"

@Madmole

Now at 19 Alpha, you must complete 10 quests of a certain level in order to unlock the next trader.
For instance:
- to open the third trader, I have to complete 10 quests of the second level.
- to open the fourth trader, I have to complete 10 quests of the third level.
- to open the fifth trader, I have to complete 10 quests of the fourth level.

In Alpha 20, I will be able to switch quest tabs and select low level quests. If the completion of these quests is counted without checking the level of the quest, then I can very quickly open all the traders by simply completing the first level quests.

Will the game require you to complete quests of a certain level in order to unlock the next trader?

12 hours ago, madmole said:

Well think if everything has quality, and there's at least 10 sets of outfits how long it might take to actually find a full set. There is a cowboy hat, but it is part of a specific outfit. The skull cap is the lumberjack hat. A lot of the stuff we have now will sort of be there in some fashion, but everything has meaning to it now instead of everything useless except for steel or military armor. There might be a fair amount of choice deciding what outfit best works for your build, or strong desire to collect a full legendary miner outfit.

As long as some customization is allowed. :) Otherwise I'll dearly miss my matt black outfit of a black cowboy hat, black leather duster, black shirt, etc. 

Then again, it's just for roleplaying purposes, so no biggie. Currently in A19 (A18 included) I wear my appropriate armor and clothing whenever I'm out and about, while a further 20% of the time I'm chillaxing at home wearing whatever attire that I desire at the time. For example, the outfit I described above:

7_Days_To_Die_2020-10-29_11_30_41_PM.thumb.png.fb3e90f42c2a38106e81819c4c5b18a9.png

(Disclaimer: I made it clear that I was going to add the image above at a later time via an edit.)

Also @madmole When the introduction of outfits replacing the old, conventional armor/clothing, what are your plans regarding the Savage Country POI's? (i.e. the clothing stores.) If they remain the same, I suspect they could become very coveted POI's that a large portion of players would save up and loot later on in the game with a higher gamestage/lootstage to acquire as many high-tier outfit pieces as possible, and it is certainly plausible that they'd always find what they're looking for. (Ex. Need some specific footwear? Shoe racks have you covered.) With this being said, do you think any drastic changes will be made to said POI's, such as many of these racks of clothing becoming non-interactable? If you say it's too early to speak, I get that, but I definitely think it's something to keep in mind.

21 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal , are you doing the walking sleepers ? They seem ok, as long as they have the "attack block" behaviour disabled until player detection, of course.

Probably.

How they react to volume triggers will depend on what the designers want.

15 hours ago, JasonX said:

If bandits are proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the modelling, animations and coding? Surely there is some assets or source code that can be released, or some problem statement that we can help brainstorm around.  

Bandits have not been proven to be anything, since no code work has been done on them yet. It is a scheduling issue, since we have many other things we would rather work on before them.

I think the artists have done some work on their part and they will handle it just fine.

32 minutes ago, faatal said:

It is a scheduling issue,

If scheduling is proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the baby sitting, errand running, and cleaning? Surely there is some calendar or spreadsheet that can be released, or some projected date that we can help brainstorm around.

5 hours ago, madmole said:

The game is exactly as we described it on the kickstarter 7 years ago, but your interpretation of what those features might look like and play like is different than ours. Magical food? Dude food is magic IRL. You can cure diseases with the proper food, coffee gives you buffs in real life, etc. Ours is gamey so it makes sense to players. What is candy is really drugs, or drugs packaged in candy bags. Future drugs, set in a future game. It isn't that hard to believe.

No, the game isn't interpreted by you guys as kickstarter nor steam described . Fully destroyable can only be interpreted as "Fully destroyable". And you guys are still cheaping out on the feature. I have faith in you though. Respawning is always easy to implement. 

A system that blocks the trader features and makes him/she fight/warn you if you build too close and an "active quest" restoring system for dead traders/ quest givers into the newly respawned ones ? Not so easy to implement though.

Archived