A19 Diary Discussions

Jay_ombie

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

There's a book that allows the player for a chance of harvesting honey from trees. Does anyone know if this percentage is based on per hit to the tree, or if the game decides that x tree will give you honey and x tree will not in advance? If it's the former, I'll be using the chainsaw from now on.

you only get one honey and its random, so if you uses a stone axe or a chain saw, it does not change the chance or the amount!

Also 2 more days till the 28th! :)

Sidenote: god Darnit! yall Choses 10pm EST, i got Online class!

Oh well, better drink the Homemade hooch to stay awake!  

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

There's a book that allows the player for a chance of harvesting honey from trees. Does anyone know if this percentage is based on per hit to the tree, or if the game decides that x tree will give you honey and x tree will not in advance? If it's the former, I'll be using the chainsaw from now on.

I'm pretty sure it's per hit, 5% chance. I got 2 honey from a tree once

Can't comment on whether you can get two.  I suspect that's from the bonuses of Motherload, and see no reason it couldn't give it to you.  But I doubt its 5% per hit, else you'd get one nearly every time cut down a tree with a stone ax or chainsaw.  Might even resort to punching!

Its not entirely relatable, but I had the same question about getting radiators and engines and batteries from cars after an extremely unlucky run of 20+ cars with no engines using a T6 impact driver. 

So I went to creative, spawned in 40 cars, and pulled them apart with a modded super-driver that 1-shot each level of the car, then repeated with a Q1 wrench.  It's not a statistically significant test, but I did get with 1-2 results from each run, out of all three types: batteries engines, radiators.  In fact, it was so close, it was almost suspicious.

In any case, I determined (to my own satisfaction) that I got the appropriate number of special items regardless of how many hits it took to get through each layer of the car.  That tells me they determine it at some point, but I'm not sure when.  Last hit?  First hit?  What if someone else hits the car first, then I do?  Does it even matter?  Does the game store that decision in case I don't tear it down, and then log out, and the server restarts?  Why do I even care, since I normally have more than I need of each of them?  Because, I just do!!

44 minutes ago, stample said:

Can't comment on whether you can get two.  I suspect that's from the bonuses of Motherload, and see no reason it couldn't give it to you.  But I doubt its 5% per hit, else you'd get one nearly every time cut down a tree with a stone ax or chainsaw.  Might even resort to punching!

It says 5% in the block.xml

<drop event="Harvest" name="foodHoney" prob=".05" count="1" tag="WasteTreasuresHoneyHarvest"/>

I guess I didn't get 2 from one tree, but i did one time cut down about 6 and ended up with 3 honey 😕

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

On 10/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, NukemDed said:

? did i miss something?

just got 10% xp loss from dying

havent died in ages. how long has this been in and why?

I think this is why a lot of people just play dead is dead now. 

Sometimes dead is better! 

1PSQ1.jpg

22 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'd like to know this too! My ditsy lil brain tells me that each tree has a percent chance to give honey once you have the book lol. I don't have a brain for math, it's quite beyond my comprehension lmao.  😅

20 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

you only get one honey and its random, so if you uses a stone axe or a chain saw, it does not change the chance or the amount!

Also 2 more days till the 28th! :)

Sidenote: god Darnit! yall Choses 10pm EST, i got Online class!

Oh well, better drink the Homemade hooch to stay awake!  

Ohh. that makes sense. I should have read down lower before writing my quote thingie for @MechanicalLens :D

@Laynie According to other forum members here, the XMl's state that every time you hit a tree it's a 5% chance that you'll get one honey, although I'm unsure if it's limited to one honey per tree or not, although I find this to be the more likely scenario. So if you want to extract the maximum amount per harvest, use a chainsaw vs a steel axe. :)

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Laynie According to other forum members here, the XMl's state that every time you hit a tree it's a 5% chance that you'll get one honey, although I'm unsure if it's limited to one honey per tree or not, although I find this to be the more likely scenario. So if you want to extract the maximum amount per harvest, use a chainsaw vs a steel axe. :)

The xml says the chance is 5%, but it is not said of what it is 5%

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Just now, meganoth said:

The xml state the chance is 5%, but it is not said what 100% is

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's either 5% per tree or it's 5% per swing. Wish I could type more but my cat insists on sleeping on my laptop's keyboard. Now she's meowing up a fit.

No. It could also be 5% chance per second of hitting.

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

No. It could also be 5% chance per second of hitting.

In that case, using a chainsaw would be a far more efficient solution of potentially extracting more honey anyway. If it takes longer to down a tree, and if the XML is designed in that favor, then you'd theoretically get more honey via time spent chopping or per hit vs a steel axe which only requires a couple hits / a few seconds to down said tree.

If it's 5% per tree at random selection (i.e. this tree will give you honey, this one will not), then it literally would not matter if you used a fully modded level 6 steel axe or your bare fists.

Of course though with it being such a low percentage chance you'd have to chop down thousands of trees to get accurate test results back. One experiment would be how much honey did you get on average by hitting 300 HP trees vs 1200 HP trees with the same tool, although such an experiment would obviously still raise a lot of questions.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)