what is the one change in your gameplay A19 has started?

ElCabong

I am finally using the club. I would build the club in the starter quest and then scrap it relying on arrows from the primitive bow. But with a 19 I equipped a baseball bat as soon as I looted one for the first time and had a blast using it. The baseball bat with chain mod is a very effective weapon.

So now I equip a club and actually look forward to the opportunity bash some heads in.

One of the biggest changes to my playstyle so far is that I'm much more cautious and concerned about getting hit in melee than I used to be.

With the new critical hit and injury system, I'm a lot more leery of just standing there and trading punches with a zed until they drop. 

Clubs and sledgehammers. Never really used them since... gah, I dunno, at one point I really loved a spiked club but it was a long time ago. Now a stone sledgehammer is such a great early-game one-shot that I can't not use it.

I'm using more mods. I heard the devs are collecting telemetry data, so I'm strategically using mods to indicate to them the issues that I find problematic, so for example bigger backpack mod and more wandering zombies, stacking mod, etc. Also the shorter zombie reach mod for multiplayer because that still seems borked compared to single player ... and it's not ping.

13 hours ago, seagas said:

Blunderbuss, before A19, I never used it, now I can't imagine early game without it.

I used it in previous alphas a bit. After they gave it a much faster reload it became useable. In a 17 it reloaded slow as hell like 5s a shot or more.

8 hours ago, Solomon said:

I no longer loot technically because its pointless and i spec into INT to "abuse" the trader while its still not "balanced for the new loot".

RIP this game when it is balanced. Only fun right now is what you can find at traders.  Since the rest of the loot is garbage how it's so linear.

Melee.

Sounds odd, but I was never a melee player. A16 kind of got me into ranged, and I just stayed there out of habit.

A19 has brought me out of my ranged shell (pun?), and I'm doing a Str/Int build with a melee base and traps and it's working beautifully.

It used to be that I would always make a ranger station my base, because it had a cobblestone base that immediately gave me a degree of protection without having to commit any time or resources into building it, but now those bases are radically different, and vulnerable as they stand on just a few steel legs which I would be unable to repair in the early game stages, so I've started building a base next door to a trader.

If I were to voice a complaint, there seems to be an insane number of debuffs now. How can I smash my way through a horde when I have a leg injury, and arm injury, an infection, a concussion, fatigue, abrasion, deep cuts, and I need a different pill / potion / suture / splint for each one of these issues? The bandages seem useless now. My Dead Is Dead playstyle is finding this a struggle.

I didn't really think about it previously but it is kind of lame that getting hit once by a silently activating flying enemy requires you to have a sewing kit, antibiotics, and a splint in your inventory. It's fun trying to deal with all of the debuffs but I also don't like carrying an entire Walgreens in my backpack everywhere.

49 minutes ago, Pico said:

If I were to voice a complaint, there seems to be an insane number of debuffs now. How can I smash my way through a horde when I have a leg injury, and arm injury, an infection, a concussion, fatigue, abrasion, deep cuts, and I need a different pill / potion / suture / splint for each one of these issues? The bandages seem useless now. My Dead Is Dead playstyle is finding this a struggle.

Not to mention Meds seem way more common now, regular bandages basically become completely useless past like, day 3 or 4. FWIW, you cannot be critically injured if you take a hit from full HP, so if you're only getting hit on occasion it's not a big deal. Don't be afraid to use FABs these days, they're so common that I pretty much just immediately use them if I take more than a hit or two (not to mention Aloe Cream heals you straight too).

Dead is Dead has pretty much been gone for me for quite a while, there's too much random garbage in the game now that can get you instakilled or severely crippled with no way to react, like zombies spawning out of thin air when you complete some quest types, dead silent hordes of dogs/wolves, direwolves on day 3, monster closets of zombies that alert the instant you step in the room regardless of how stealthy you are, etc.

9 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Definitly the use of the blunderbuss. Never used it before other than trying it once.

That became my go to end game weapon on servers around a17 because nobody ever used it and the sound of it firing is way loud. I never thought to load my tool belt with them until I saw some streamers play a19.

There's something extremely funny about just running around a horde screaming and hoping you don't die between reloads while everyone else is trying to be serious with their clip extended, rad remover aks.

I had not used the blunderbuss since flat pressure plate mines were just requiring gunpowder and scrap metal so somewhere around alpha 12 or earlier. I usually defaulted to a really crappy pistol over the blunder and hardly ever foudn them. now i've found like 20. which I don't really mind. 

my bigest change though? im using clubs and not specing into tool crafting levels. because it takes more materials to make iron or steel or whatever tools and duct tape and forged iron early game is annoying to do. tried to make a trench with an iron shovel earlier today and it took HOURS. reeeeeeee

As soon as I find a gun, I never melee again. Why risk getting all the new debuffs with a melee build, when you can completely avoid them by going ranged? 

I don't mind all the new debuffs and I enjoy melee builds, but what I don't enjoy is having a pharmacy in my backpack taking up valuable slots.

Traders.
I mostly never bothered with them. Started using them a little in A18, but now it's a constant.
There is still the survivalist side of me that hates the traders and thinks I should be fending for myself solely. However, I have come to the conclusion that I've done that so much for so many other games and for so long, that I'm OK with retirement.

Another big change is that now I refuse to open safes, WorkingStiff boxes, reinforced chests, or anything that might contain higher level loot when I start.  I usually won't touch those until at least game stage 20. Opening a hardened chest to get a chest full of stone gear bites.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:34 PM, Pico said:

It used to be that I would always make a ranger station my base, because it had a cobblestone base that immediately gave me a degree of protection without having to commit any time or resources into building it, but now those bases are radically different, and vulnerable as they stand on just a few steel legs which I would be unable to repair in the early game stages, so I've started building a base next door to a trader.

Honest answer: drugs and candy. I see a lot of youtubers ignore the health bar. HA! scrubs that deserve their painful debuff death! the health bar is the spinach of the game! did a dubuff lower your health? Not only does the health bar cut the healing time in half, it also gives a buff to the health and speeds up the healing. combine that with fortibites, painkillers, and beer and you are good to go in a bad situation. The moment you have those debuffs hitting you is the moment you need to pop all those items. It's why i take the 4x4 to the big pois, i have it kitted out with those items for when i get walloped like that. Three health bars turn a 30 minute broken leg into a 15 minute broken leg. That feature alone NOT something to ignore. 

Archived