Dire wolf at 10am on Day 1 running through town to the trader? Srlsly?

jdifran

I actually got attacked by a boar the other day, all I did was walk in front of him.  I swear I didn't see a boar crossing sign, and I didn't even think of him as bacon either since I didn't have a blunderbuss yet, but after that I hopped up on a rock, threw some frames down and got his attention with an arrow, then went to town on him with my spear.

1 hour ago, Feycat said:

Honestly, I've been enjoying the plethora of predators popping up. I don't know why dog packs tick me off but wolf packs don't, probably leftover trauma from "dog day" in other alphas lol

Dog packs are the only thing that worry me tbh. I'll look around every 15 to 30 seconds when mining, chopping, salvaging cars, etc, so zombies are spotted way before they become a threat. The dog packs on the other hand, look away for a second and suddenly there are dogs trying to eat your face, sometimes accompanied by a bear 😆

Dire wolves can spawn at anytime, I've seen them on day 1 too, just avoid them, be careful in a19 especially at night in the forest as thats the prime time for wolfes/dire wolves and bears to show up. They can show up on day 1 night even. In fact every single death i've had in a19 so far was due to a dire wolf or wolf spawning on me at night early game when I don't even got a gun. Till you got a gun (read pistol at least), do not let your encumbrance from inventory hit over 5, or use any armor other than padded, not even 1 piece, because then you might be too slow to outrun the wolf. Like I said every death in a19 so far, 0 from zombies, 4 from Aggressive animals.

Its especially BS when your out at night, you checked around you see NOTHING spawned in view distance at all, go back to harvesting that tree/ore/whatever, next thing you know you got a dire wolf that spawned literally on top of you hitting you from behind. Happened to me in my latest game, I cleared the area around where I was harvesting due to it being night time, but second I start BOOM dire wolf spawned right behind me, and got to hit me almost twice before I knew what was going on. Only thing that saved me was I happened to have bought a tier 4 ak47 off the trader earlier that day, or else I'd have been dead there. They really need to fix the spawn system so stuff outdoors has to spawn like 40+ blocks away from you minimum so you at least have time to react. Not this crap where they spawn literally touching you.

happened to me on day 3. I have 2 x blunderbuss (so I can chain 2 shot at once) + a lv1 handgun. Just enough firepower to kill it before it killed me. 14 HP left and somehow get inflected from the bite. 

I don't mind early game wolf/bear etc. Just don't spawn them on top of me please.

The dog hordes do get a little tedious; especially if I'm mining and trapped; that said, I'd like to see them limited exclusively to cities.  I think having hordes of roaming dogs every time I get near a city makes sense as they'd be a realistic apocalypse problem; I think this was the case back in A15.

I remember having to prepare for the early onslaught of dogs as I'd venture into a city and it was a great way to keep me out until I was prepared to deal with them.

17 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Biome? Map? Mods? Screenshot?

I had quite a few restarts already, it doesn´t matter wich map on vanilla, i went trough Navezgane, the pregen maps and rwg, happened frequently. Once there was a bear and a dire wolf. Tough that was before b169.

7 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I had quite a few restarts already, it doesn´t matter wich map on vanilla, i went trough Navezgane, the pregen maps and rwg, happened frequently. Once there was a bear and a dire wolf. Tough that was before b169.

The reason I ask is because spawns are biome specific...and wolves and dire wolves look very similar to each other...

Edit: It is difficult to confirm bugs or do balancing with just anecdotal info...

For example:  Dire wolves have a higher chance to spawn in the snow biome day or night.

Early predators? I'm loving those reports. Looking forward to start all over at day 1 again when the stable version is released. Finally you have to be cautious and watch your steps and cannot just kill everything with a tier 1 club of lowest quality right from the start.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

and wolves and dire wolves look very similar to each other...

Yeah quite similar except the dire wolf is almost twice as big as a normal wolf. ;)

What version are you playing? TFP messed up the animal spawns with B163 and there it could happen to encounter a dire wolf on day 1 during day.

What i've read from the changenotes of B169, heavy aggressive predators (like direwolfs) should only spawn during night again, and while i encountered many direwolfs with B163 i haven't seen a single one during day with B169 again.

Boars and bears can spawn during day, but afaik they are not aggressive until you hit them.

19 hours ago, jdifran said:

I mean, if you're trying to get new players to ragequit and uninstall, that'll do it.

If those new players knew enough to opt-in to the voluntary experimental branch rather than just play the version that automatically downloads when they buy the game they probably would just choose to opt back out of experimental and try out the stable version they purchased...

Just now, Roland said:

If those new players knew enough to opt-in to the voluntary experimental branch rather than just play the version that automatically downloads when they buy the game they probably would just choose to opt back out of experimental and try out the stable version they purchased...

Your logic is flawless my friend ;) LOL

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

If those new players knew enough to opt-in to the voluntary experimental branch rather than just play the version that automatically downloads

And whoever plays experimental should at least follow the forums for bugreports and the changenotes a little. If someone is not into that, just don't play experimental, too.

24 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Yeah quite similar except the dire wolf is almost twice as big as a normal wolf. ;)

What version are you playing? TFP messed up the animal spawns with B163 and there it could happen to encounter a dire wolf on day 1 during day.

What i've read from the changenotes of B169, heavy aggressive predators (like direwolfs) should only spawn during night again, and while i encountered many direwolfs with B163 i haven't seen a single one during day with B169 again.

Boars and bears can spawn during day, but afaik they are not aggressive until you hit them.

Before wolves had a light grey mane.  Now they have a black mane like the dire wolf.  From a distance it's harder to tell especially if they are not facing you...

I checked the xml file and there is zero chance for dire wolves at 10am on day 1.

There is however a small chance of a regular wolf, that is why I mentioned that they looked the same.

I tried to reproduce what the OP stated yesterday and no dice.

Personally a rare regular wolf is fine if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

15 minutes into a new game, was attacked by 3 buzzards and 2 dogs.  Killed by the 3rd buzzard.

Are yall trying to ruin the game?

This is not entertaining at all.

Wouldn't it be the dogs first, and then the buzzards?

I wait to spend my first skill point until I've gotten a temp base going, just in case I need to buy that first point of the healing perk, and since we don't start in the desert anymore I hardly ever see vultures until day 4 or 5ish.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, Feycat said:

Honestly, I've been enjoying the plethora of predators popping up. I don't know why dog packs tick me off but wolf packs don't, probably leftover trauma from "dog day" in other alphas lol

I love the dog packs. Just when i finish a poi i open the door to see 10 zombie dogs coming at you. Really adds some horror to the game. 

Archived