Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

That's just busy work making leather or sharp sticks. Cluttering up precious inventory space for the sake of nostalgia? Food was simplified until we figured out wtf we were doing with it, and might see "prime" meat or something like the old bear meat come back. City biome has more zeds than ever at night.

Simplicity is a tool, just like complexity is a tool. Simplicity is used to ease the new player in, complexity is used to challenge the player who is more experienced.

Mundane early game tasks shouldn't be complex. We've added complexity to where it matters, like crafting a vehicle, but simple tasks that are done by noobs on the first few days and are not in the least bit rewarding should be simple.

It's also worth noting that the same tasks that are easy for players who already spent thousands of hours in this game, are not so easy for players who are new to this game and just started playing it. Old players often don't realize that the game lacks challenge for them simply because they already know how to achieve their goals using the easiest and fastest way possible, but every new update cannot be about changing the fundamentals just to please the old players.

That's just busy work making leather or sharp sticks. Cluttering up precious inventory space for the sake of nostalgia? Food was simplified until we figured out wtf we were doing with it, and might see "prime" meat or something like the old bear meat come back. City biome has more zeds than ever at night.

Simplicity is a tool, just like complexity is a tool. Simplicity is used to ease the new player in, complexity is used to challenge the player who is more experienced.

Mundane early game tasks shouldn't be complex. We've added complexity to where it matters, like crafting a vehicle, but simple tasks that are done by noobs on the first few days and are not in the least bit rewarding should be simple.

City biome, more Zed's...

...does that mean zoning is back?!?

If it is, can we get an 18.4 release with it in place? and hopefully it works in rwg, instead of just nave :pray:

City Biome huh, I cannot say I believe it until I see it. At least that makes 6 biomes we can use now..

• Love the city biome news!

• I recognize that you have made your decisions, and I respect that. I respectfully disagree that they improved the game, because they took away meaningful choices.

• None of the things I listed were due to nostalgia. For example, skins -> leather required at least a book and (maybe? memory is fuzzy) a tanning rack. Meaning you had to scavenge, fight/hunt, and craft.

• If I have to craft sticks, or sharp rocks, or whatever base usable material, I can't craft anything else at that moment. Time is the most precious resource in a survival game, and in earlier alphas you were making good use of forcing the player to choose how to spend their time. Not so much now.

• OK, so you pulled unique meats until you come up with a firm design for food. I'm down with that - I wish I'd known that when you guys pulled it, just so I wasn't thinking it was a nerf.

• Agree 100% that simplicity is a useful tool.

Not trying to rabble rouse - just trying to explain my viewpoint which I know is shared by a number of other "olde tymers" :)

-A

It's also worth noting that the same tasks that are easy for players who already spent thousands of hours in this game, are not so easy for players who are new to this game and just started playing it. Old players often don't realize that the game lacks challenge for them simply because they already know how to achieve their goals using the easiest and fastest way possible, but every new update cannot be about changing the fundamentals just to please the old players.

Yep. Guys with hundreds to thousands of hours should be experts.

No its in been in A18 for ages. At night that biome has a lot of zombies.

Can confirm that, had a game today and decided to stay in a big town in wasteland (2h day lenght, vanilla settings, 70~sh level, day 38).

Had really good fun thinking I was invisible on the roof of a trailer park trailer (I have all wasteland books read :smug: ) My legs were shaking for fair 2 hours ingame right after 23h, radiated and birds were real fun to be scared of. The incoming zombies discovering mines on their path was like a fireworks on the background of all noises from zeds and the ambient sound of wastelands.

Almost all melee and double shotgun with few mods found in the loot.

You did well guys, again - thanks !

No its in been in A18 for ages. At night that biome has a lot of zombies.

Oh you meant the currently existing declaration of the 'city' biome that never spawns anywhere in the game of which even the spawning xml clearly states it is no longer being used (actually a relic from before A16). So A19 will have the same non-existing city spawns, check.

Oh you meant the currently existing declaration of the 'city' biome that never spawns anywhere in the game of which even the spawning xml clearly states it is no longer being used (actually a relic from before A16). So A19 will have the same non-existing city spawns, check.

I think he meant the wasteland.

•  
  • OK, so you pulled unique meats until you come up with a firm design for food. I'm down with that - I wish I'd known that when you guys pulled it, just so I wasn't thinking it was a nerf.

• Agree 100% that simplicity is a useful tool.

Not trying to rabble rouse - just trying to explain my viewpoint which I know is shared by a number of other "olde tymers" :)

-A

We were adding more animals and didn't want to end up with bear meat, boar meat, rabbit meat, venison, snake meat, etc and then all the variants.. charred versions, broiled versions and grilled, then all the stew variants. It would clutter menus, inventory, storage, etc. But adding in a prime meat that is plentiful from bears and limited in others might make sense.

I get where you are coming from with leather. One of the key designs for A18 was to bring back *needs*. Its just one of those things that was causing more inventory clutter and felt like a sharp stick process that wasn't very rewarding. Some players like that, but in the interest of making early game more accessible it got cut. I know these processes can be fun if done right, but I'd rather limit them to workstations not just backpack tetris, like turning grass into plant fibers is just needless clicking. Leave that for the harder recipes.

Archived