Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

No their games are all about character growth and story telling, and lowering the quality to support random stuff (which would be difficult to avoid) wouldn't pay off for them. 7 Days is more about survival and making the most of what you can find, needing a lot of resources and not knowing where to get them is a huge part of the experience so having a random world adds a lot more value to our game.

In their games you just get everything at X level, its just bound to happen, aside from the artifacts which you do a quest for. There is no "I need to find a medical store" or "I need car parts". Meds are in every bathroom and you can heal just by sleeping, etc. All crafting is made from generic BS which you will have loads of if you loot everything. So no it wouldn't help their games at all IMO, and wouldn't be worth the effort to engineer it to where it matches the quality of a hand crafted world.

I mean if they could pull it off cool, but I don't see it adding much value unless the core game would change dramatically and they changed their loot to be more specific.

Yeah, I completely agree. My question was more "which of the two options would be the most tolerable?"

You brought up the idea of not knowing how to find resources playing a big role in 7dtd. I think the process of finding where resources are could really benefit from expansion. Right now its mostly about knowing which POI models correspond to which loot containers and looting until you get what you want/can get by on. However, it would be cool if there was a whole clue system of that could lead to resources, like zombie drops correlating with nearby stuff, or NPC dialogue alluding to certain caches of material.

Bruh... if its so bad why are you obsessed with it? Go play Alpha 2 and have at it. You do not represent the average consumer at all and tuning the game to forum rats would be a cancer move. The game is challenging in the right ways now, change one of the million settings if you think its too easy. Its WAY harder than Skyrim and Fallout 4 even on survival mode. You have to not buy specific perks in FO4 to not become a god at level 20-30.

FYI player counts are at an all time high and sales are the best since the initial release, so we're on track. The complaints are literally squeaky wheel straw man arguments at this point and making any changes would piss off most players TBH. We're fixing bugs and adding more content. Some more balance and optimizations. Not sure how this isn't clear.

Any experienced player SHOULD need mods to make it harder. That kind of stuff is great for mods but the vanilla game has to be accessible.

I havent played 7 dtd for months. I have modded some things fixed some mods but game play nope. Game boring as ♥♥♥♥. I still think you guys are gonna make a game worthy when gold. But i stay on forums to follow to see the changes also to check my mods and see the new mods others make etc to and to let you know my opinion and what others (whom have stopped playing the game have told me... But you wont know that cause they dont play the game anymore either.)

played the witcher 3 ( twice now on pc and once on ps4 so very replayable as well. )

I dont think your anywhere near the likes of skyrim or fallout cant compare to games that are replayable IMO. You were nearly pre A17. I have finished FO4 multiple times diff play thrus. Skyrim many more times unmodded and they were always enjoyable and replayable as.

A17 I will admit I missed most cause of a tragedy I dont want to mention. Not saying the items and blocks you have added and the dungeon pois are great fantastic even (even tho gone thru one you of each you been thru em all and dont even need to look at the easy answers (the lights) you have put in to tell people where to go) it has to do with how easy it is. vanilla should not be the answers given to you. maybe add a short tutorial game pre game for that. for all the newbies who cant figure stuff out for themselves cause that mean actually using their brains.

So many long timers have told you stuff but you dont want to listen, your game i know but we just hand over our money i know that to. Many long timers have left the game cause of this as well as the game getting bored. Vanilla should not be boring. I will say i love xpath i love the new blocks and items (except the horrid Iron club) but the challenge is non existent. that was taken away when you dumbed the game down.

zombies arent a threat not enough of them to be called a threat. what challenges is there in the game when zombies arent a threat. isnt that the point of the game zombies become a threat. When bandits come in i guess they wont be a threat either cause you would only get 3 at a time or less anyway.

we use to come to a town and we get swarmed by zombies the town was covered in them. the wilderness to had plenty of zombie life. now it is like they packed their bags and left as well.

I havent played 7 dtd for months. I have modded some things fixed some mods but game play nope. Game boring as ♥♥♥♥. I still think you guys are gonna make a game worthy when gold. But i stay on forums to follow to see the changes also to check my mods and see the new mods others make etc to and to tlet you know my opinion and what others (whom have stopped playing the game have told me... But you wont know that cause they dont play the game anymore either.)

played the witcher 3 ( twice now on pc and once on ps4 so very replayable as well. )

I dont think your anywhere near the likes of skyrim or fallout cant compare to games that are replayable IMO. You were nearly pre A17. I have finished FO4 multiple times diff play thrus. Skyrim many more times unmodded and they were always enjoyable and replayable as.

A17 I will admit I missed most cause of a tragedy I dont want to mention. Not saying the items and blocks you have added and the dungeon pois are great fantastic even (even tho gone thru one you of each you been thru em all and dont even need to look at the easy answers (the lights) you have put in to tell people where to go) it has to do with how easy it is. vanilla should not be the answers given to you. maybe add a short tutorial game pre game for that. for all the newbies who cant figure stuff out for themselves cause that mean actually using their brains.

So many long timers have told you stuff but you dont want to listen, your game i know but we just hand over our money i know that to. Many long timers have left the game cause of this as well as the game getting bored. Vanilla should not be boring. I will say i love xpath i love the new blocks and items (except the horrid Iron club) but the challenge is non existent. that was taken away when you dumbed the game down.

zombies arent a threat not enough of them to be called a threat. what challenges is there in the game when zombies arent a threat. isnt that the point of the game zombies become a threat. When bandits come in i guess they wont be a threat either cause you would only get 3 at a time or less anyway.

we use to come to a town and we get swarmed by zombies the town was covered in them. the wilderness to had plenty of zombie life. now it is like they packed their bags and left as well.

Can you just stop ranting for once? It's getting old and it's clogging the forums. Just saying. I'm out. *Walks away*

P.S. How about you list the features that you enjoy about the current version(s) of the game?

P.P.S. A game, 7D2D included, cannot survive by just catering to the "old ones", aka the first players, aka the hardcore fanbase. I personally believe that 7D2D is in the best state it's ever been in, and while I have only been a player since A17, I've been following the game religiously since A10, if that adds any weight to my argument.

Speaking of sleeping ... with the new beds in A19, any plans for rested bonuses? Like say, when close to your bed you gain a buff. This buff increase in duration for an extended stay near the bed and could add bonuses like quicker stamina regen, better/faster aim, quicker actions like lockpicking, reloading, crafting...stuff like that :)

We've talked about it but don't have a design for it. Don't really want players making beds at pois as some kind of gaming the system trick. Maybe illnesses could go away quicker near a bed. Depends how its set up. Forcing the player to lay in it would allow us to give a better buff than simply an AOE effect.

Yeah, I completely agree. My question was more "which of the two options would be the most tolerable?"

You brought up the idea of not knowing how to find resources playing a big role in 7dtd. I think the process of finding where resources are could really benefit from expansion. Right now its mostly about knowing which POI models correspond to which loot containers and looting until you get what you want/can get by on. However, it would be cool if there was a whole clue system of that could lead to resources, like zombie drops correlating with nearby stuff, or NPC dialogue alluding to certain caches of material.

Maybe the fetch quests can be more personalized per trader at some point, Like Jen deals in meds and sends you to locations that have a medicine.

Maybe the fetch quests can be more personalized per trader at some point, Like Jen deals in meds and sends you to locations that have a medicine.

Perhaps in addition to this, Traders could have their own personal "loot table" in what they offer you in both their stashes and as trader quest rewards? (ie Jen could offer the player mostly medical supplies, while Rekt sells... sh*t.)

Can you just stop ranting for once? It's getting old and it's clogging the forums. Just saying. I'm out. *Walks away*

P.S. How about you list the features that you enjoy about the current version(s) of the game?

P.P.S. A game, 7D2D included, cannot survive by just catering to the "old ones", aka the first players, aka the hardcore fanbase. I personally believe that 7D2D is in the best state it's ever been in, and while I have only been a player since A17, I've been following the game religiously since A10, if that adds any weight to my argument.

You see it as ranting i see it as expressing. Its to do with the future of the game. Its not getting old wanting more challenge more fear more threat from zombies. Just conitnuing the convo also to reply to MM reply.

You dont have to read it i dont care your allowed your view and to post i am allowed mine and to post. Pretty sure i payed to do this and have my input as did You.

I not saying make it difficult so only the seasoned players can play it. Stop putting false words never spoken into it. Vanilla should be a medium not easy not hard but also have replayability. Yes you might play it 3 times diff settings but it is just rinse and repeat over and over. Remove the answers so we have to use our brains. Get rid of the lights in dungeon pois so we have to guess and fear a trap or what ever false paths that lead to dead ends where we get trapped or the right path wuere we get treasure etc.

More threats in the biomes and towns. Vanilla should be a medium not easy not hard but offer replayability to all.. isnt that what its spose to be a middle ground not a easy walk thru.

And as for you watching since a10 maybe you should a played it and maybe see what i mean with the difference. But your opnion is just as important as mine

You see it as ranting i see it as expressing. Its to do with the future of the game. Its not getting old wanting more challenge more fear more threat from zombies. Just conitnuing the convo also to reply to MM reply.

You dont have to read it i dont care your allowed your view and to post i am allowed mine and to post. Pretty sure i payed to do this and have my input as did You.

I not saying make it difficult so only the seasoned players can play it. Stop putting false words never spoken into it. Vanilla should be a medium not easy not hard but also have replayability. Yes you might play it 3 times diff settings but it is just rinse and repeat over and over. Remove the answers so we have to use our brains. Get rid of the lights in dungeon pois so we have to guess and fear a trap or what ever false paths that lead to dead ends where we get trapped or the right path wuere we get treasure etc.

More threats in the biomes and towns. Vanilla should be a medium not easy not hard but offer replayability to all.. isnt that what its spose to be a middle ground not a easy walk thru.

And as for you watching since a10 maybe you should a played it and maybe see what i mean with the difference. But your opnion is just as important as mine

My apologies then, carry on.

I would have played A10 and above if I didn't have a potato of a computer back then. :p Maybe I'll revisit them some day.

And yes, I believe that 7D2D could be more difficult. How it could be more difficult however is... entirely subjective and up for debate.

We've talked about it but don't have a design for it. Don't really want players making beds at pois as some kind of gaming the system trick. Maybe illnesses could go away quicker near a bed. Depends how its set up. Forcing the player to lay in it would allow us to give a better buff than simply an AOE effect.

How about a bed in your land claim area.

Also can you critique my bench press form?

giphy.gif

Would it be something that would be considered for the sequel right from the very beginning? If you can't have some randomization in the dungeons for this game that would be a nice upgrade for the next one.

Another idea I've read is creating duplicates of existing dungeons but altering where the loot room is and the sleeper locations as well. Is that something that would be considered for this game by TFP or left to modders to create as a prefab pack?

We're all for more procedural and random systemic design so yeah. That doesn't mean it confirmed, it just means yeah we generally like that kind of stuff.

Loot room overhaul, not really. We could spend a lot of hours on that, or just keep cranking out POIS. We can make a framework for mod authors to upload their pois to workshop. Then users can have 1000's of POIS. THere is no way you will remember the loot room in 1,000's of POIS. Hell the map might only load a small % of them. Then its like a new game every time, with loads of new POIS you have never seen.

Where is the entertainment value in that? :D

And how was that even remotely insulting?

Entertainment value is your game.

Your points as a dev should be conveyed without insults.

Use of terms such as Rat, is an insult. Words, how do they work?

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/rat

Rats are often associated with filth and disease. So, if someone calls you a rat, it's not like being called a fox. It's an insult.

These negative traits have led to the informal meaning of rat, "hateful person," "liar," or "double-crosser."

You think *THIS* is Stallionsden ranting?

Pffff... this is the kindler, gentler Stall.

Besides, everyone has the privilege to post their feedback on the game...

-A

We're all for more procedural and random systemic design so yeah. That doesn't mean it confirmed, it just means yeah we generally like that kind of stuff.

Loot room overhaul, not really. We could spend a lot of hours on that, or just keep cranking out POIS. We can make a framework for mod authors to upload their pois to workshop. Then users can have 1000's of POIS. THere is no way you will remember the loot room in 1,000's of POIS. Hell the map might only load a small % of them. Then its like a new game every time, with loads of new POIS you have never seen.

But for the work of creating one original POI a designer could enhance at least 20 POI's to have an almost identical twin that has a totally different route through the POI. And probably this will make it much much harder for players to memorize a POI.

If your infection hits 70%, there's a chance she tells you, "I think I might know where you can find yourself some meds. The place is a deathtrap, but seeing as you're about to die , I figure I'll be losing a paying customer anyway."

Madmole, as a developer and owner you have a financial obligation, which I completely understand and respect, so let me ask the other madmole, the modder, a question.

...what will your first mod be for the game? No troll, no bait, I'm honestly curious what you would like to mod in.

Also, something feels different... The forums feel... Cleaner. Less cancerous. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Perhaps in addition to this, Traders could have their own personal "loot table" in what they offer you in both their stashes and as trader quest rewards? (ie Jen could offer the player mostly medical supplies, while Rekt sells... sh*t.)

Yes that is totally going to happen.

Archived