Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

The "difficulty" people are talking about isn't 1000hp zombies; it's the complexity of the game. Meta-difficulty.

Removing things like sticks, or bear meat; requiring you to convert hides to leather before you can use the leather; city biomes packed with cops and dogs.

These aren't difficulties you can change in the options menu. They are difficulties that come from game design mechanics, which force the player to make decisions about how to spend their resources and energy.

That's what's been taken away. Contrary to what MM believes, simplicity in a game is NOT always a good thing.

-A

Also the old crafting grid (I know why it was removed, but there's a reason I bring it up) meant you couldn't just run away a little bit from a zombie and quickly craft what you need.

Like if you were bleeding and didn't have bandages, chances are you were going to die because you couldn't just run and quickly craft some.

Which is why i'm asking about the onCombatEntered/left thing. ;) I may or may not have a cunning plan.

Also the old crafting grid (I know why it was removed, but there's a reason I bring it up) meant you couldn't just run away a little bit from a zombie and quickly craft what you need.

Like if you were bleeding and didn't have bandages, chances are you were going to die because you couldn't just run and quickly craft some.

Which is why i'm asking about the onCombatEntered/left thing. ;) I may or may not have a cunning plan.

Exactly that crafting grid was amazing and gave the game a scare factor. Quick quick make thi... crap zombie attacking etc... hair raising. Now its just sit have a cup of coffee sleep shower oh zombie getting closer...

Edit: i replied to a comment in a19 before you moved it.....

Since the post got moved, i'm re-adding this because it's relevant to A19.

How does onCombatEntered work? Is it when you shoot a zombie or when one "aggros" you? And when is the player considered to be "not in combat"? Obviously "when dead" is going to be one of options there (you or the zombie) but does it also happen if you run away far enough for the zombie to lose interest? Will we be getting an onCombatLeft trigger in A19?

The "difficulty" people are talking about isn't 1000hp zombies; it's the complexity of the game. Meta-difficulty.

Removing things like sticks, or bear meat; requiring you to convert hides to leather before you can use the leather; city biomes packed with cops and dogs.

These aren't difficulties you can change in the options menu. They are difficulties that come from game design mechanics, which force the player to make decisions about how to spend their resources and energy.

That's what's been taken away. Contrary to what MM believes, simplicity in a game is NOT always a good thing.

-A

Well said exactly some of what i been saying to.

It was discussed some months ago, that telemetrics would come in the game, to gather informations about player behaviour for Devs.

Is that allready in, or any news on that?

you guys might not be influenced by it, but i always disliked the fact that the Forum is full of negative People that give you harsh critic for Stuff, that im sure 83% of the Playerbase really like and would wish for the sake of all of us for you to have a neutral/wide Feedback area aka Telemtrics.

Or how about Polls with hidden outcome (so players cant nail Devs to it) for certain Topics? Might be announced via Steam-News so a wider field of Players sees it.

A beefy upgrade in telemetrics is definitely planned. A developer would have to give details on that. Telemetrics are NOT "Hendley Garner" btw.

Since the post got moved, i'm re-adding this because it's relevant to A19.

How does onCombatEntered work? Is it when you shoot a zombie or when one "aggros" you? And when is the player considered to be "not in combat"? Obviously "when dead" is going to be one of options there (you or the zombie) but does it also happen if you run away far enough for the zombie to lose interest? Will we be getting an onCombatLeft trigger in A19?

It wasn't moved. It was copied. I kept your question here but maybe Madmole will answer you twice :)

So I'm king rat? Cool. :)

...my chair needs to say that at the tfp booth.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, so basically more content using the existing framework. I'd definitely be down for that. :)

Your forum avatar does indeed have pretty long whiskers....so lol..

Also, could you make a HUD more pleasant with all the important information on the screen? (hunger, thirst, temperature, etc.) Similar to SMX Hud Mod (looks good but some people play vanilla without mods :02.47-tranquillity:)

Well since adding food water etc to the H.U.D would make the game even easier for newbies i cant see any reason why it was removed.

Well since adding food water etc to the H.U.D would make the game even easier for newbies i cant see any reason why it was removed.

I think making your point 27 times did the job allready. We know how you feel about it. This passive aggressiveness is silly.

Cheers

I think making your point 27 times did the job allready. We know how you feel about it. This passive aggressiveness is silly.

Cheers

Oh I was generally curious in the answer as to why it was removed. nothing to do with that discussion. seeing as it would help the new players out even more. dont see any passive aggressiveness in my reply.

Oh I was generally curious in the answer as to why it was removed. nothing to do with that discussion. seeing as it would help the new players out even more. dont see any passive aggressiveness in my reply.

nothing to do with that discussion -> as it would help the new players out even more

contradictio in terminis ;)

Cheers

nothing to do with that discussion -> as it would help the new players out even more

contradictio in terminis ;)

Cheers

I would actually like a dev to respond who actually can add a actual answer and contribute to the discussion rather then some one whom is baiting and exhasterbating a totally different discussion and antagonising things.. i still stand by everything i have stated previously and will stand up for others again i not worried the consequences.

Hey

I love your game, and see unlimited potential.

One thing that i would love to see implemented is logic gates to the electric system.

That can really expand on the game and make for some interesting creations.

Right now the options are very limited, and even something as simple as a inverter would already change things drastically.

Thanks for your hardwork and awesome game!

We've talked about it but don't have a design for it. Don't really want players making beds at pois as some kind of gaming the system trick. Maybe illnesses could go away quicker near a bed. Depends how its set up. Forcing the player to lay in it would allow us to give a better buff than simply an AOE effect.

Well, there is literally no reason for bedrolls to offer any buff imo. But it would be nice for normal+ beds. Buff could just be set the moment your respawn point changes to a normal bed (not aoe). If the normal/king-sized beds are expensive and not portable and the buff is slight - the player won't bother placing beds while exploring.

I think everyone would enjoy small practical flavor increases like this to luxury items.

As for your prefab dungeons and randomization, wouldn't you at least still be able to e.g. set a random chance for a trap/obstacle to be enabled or not at spawn?

Well, there is literally no reason for bedrolls to offer any buff imo. But it would be nice for normal+ beds. Buff could just be set the moment your respawn point changes to a normal bed (not aoe). If the normal/king-sized beds are expensive and not portable and the buff is slight - the player won't bother placing beds while exploring.

I think everyone would enjoy small practical flavor increases like this to luxury items.

As for your prefab dungeons and randomization, wouldn't you at least still be able to e.g. set a random chance for a trap/obstacle to be enabled or not at spawn?

AHOY!

yeah that would be nice to have a reason to build a bed rather then a Sleeping bag. (but i LOVE the New Look of the Single bed so i may uses that for now on.)

Idea Here

i think bed roles would just add a spawn point.

If you uses a Normal bed you get the "Rested" Buff that adds 15 to HP and stamina. and Spawn point

and if you get the double bed you get the "well rested" Buff that adds +25 to HP and Stamina and Adds a 15% Resistance to Disease. and Spawn Point!

the Buff won't be in your way or on screen but if you check your effects it will show up!

Regarding this: I always kinda thought it is too easy to exploit the Bed mechanic: Go to a Tier 5 Prefab, lay a bedrol in Front, die, spawn repeat.

How about make it so, that a Bed/Bedroll only can be laid on Claimed Ground? That might help a bit.

I like how Rust handled it, 5 minute respawn delay and you are allowed multiple beds. They decay if not under a claim. Then you can't scum spawn.

-A

That's just busy work making leather or sharp sticks. Cluttering up precious inventory space for the sake of nostalgia? Food was simplified until we figured out wtf we were doing with it, and might see "prime" meat or something like the old bear meat come back. City biome has more zeds than ever at night.

Simplicity is a tool, just like complexity is a tool. Simplicity is used to ease the new player in, complexity is used to challenge the player who is more experienced.

Mundane early game tasks shouldn't be complex. We've added complexity to where it matters, like crafting a vehicle, but simple tasks that are done by noobs on the first few days and are not in the least bit rewarding should be simple.

Archived