Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Hey faatal, what are you working on these days?

Also, do you have any side projects that you work on in your free time, or does working on a game during the day take the fun out of coding at night for you?

I don't really do side projects. Spend enough time working on 7dtd.

We are still plugging away on the conversion to linear color space. A lot of good work has been done so far.

7dtd_a19sunset.thumb.jpg.87a5d28a8559f6bef19362b8a92831c7.jpg

@Faatal We heard you since april 2019 talking about updating to Unity 2019.3, which means we can expect from 2019.1 stable Vulkan, performance improvements, better ambient occlusion, faster physics, final garbage collector and better tools for you, etc.

So now that 2019.3 is final and looks like a19exp is not coming very soon, can we asume new Unity is coming to a19?

Unity 2019.3 shipped late and was and probably still is a buggy mess, so we went ahead and updated to 2019.2 on Jan 7. That should be what a19 ships on.

So what exactly will linear color space do for the average player? Will it improve performance, or is it for aesthetic gains?

Linear color space just changes the way color values are handled. It uses more correct math for blending color values together which makes lighting more realistic, but throws off all the old values, so they have to be adjusted.

We are actually updating a lot of graphics code during the conversion above and beyond what needs to be done for linear. There is a lot of shader/sky/weather code in an ugly prototype state that I'm cleaning up. Many graphics features are being added or improved (fog, sun, horizon, moon, clouds, light spectrums, indoor lighting, water, environment particles). In general the cleanup makes it a bit faster and enhancements a bit slower, so I'd expect it to be about the same FPS when done.

@Faatal

AI Pathing question.

Does the AI follow blocks or follow colliders to determine their path? I made a spinning bridge (5x1x5) that rotates on the center, but I'm wondering if in the "open" position when the bridge ends aren't touching ground, if the pathing still sees it as a 5x5 block it can walk on (even though there are only colliders on the center part).

Both. Initially the block's colliders. The path grid is build by raycasting down from the sky to find heights, but also tunneling down through blocks, looking at the blocks, since internal colliders are removed. Surfaces that could be stood on are then horizontally raycast in the cardinal directions to see if open and if links could be made to adjacent surfaces.

Wow. 2019.3 is that bad? I haven't downloaded that yet. Still using 2019.1

It was supposed to be out in Dec, but had dozens of bugs, some of which were nasty, which delayed it. It was not released until Jan 27. I usually like to see the first bug fix update after a major new version to see what bugs slipped by or were found and labeled know issues. They have not released one yet. No thanks. We don't have time to wait. 2019.2.17 has been working fine for a month after a few days of fixing problems.

I'm super excited about changes in terms of graphics unless the framerate stays at the same level. With better lighting and color palette some updates to HUD etc. would be nice as well. Disabling and enabling visibility of mission status/current objectives (at the top-right corner) by pressing the O button could be an option.

In terms of HUD/Menu overhaul, SMX mod is the best example and I believe its compulsory to enjoy the game even more and this modification does make life easier. Players may definitely enjoy the benefits of having some additional options. Moving exactly the same items from a backpack to a chest by pressing one button saves a lot of time. The skill chart looks amazing, similar to a perk tree, way more convenient. Right know in-game menus feel like a chart from excel.

The first impression is the most important thing. Incorporating some solutions from the most popular mods is never a bad idea.

Both. Initially the block's colliders. The path grid is build by raycasting down from the sky to find heights, but also tunneling down through blocks, looking at the blocks, since internal colliders are removed. Surfaces that could be stood on are then horizontally raycast in the cardinal directions to see if open and if links could be made to adjacent surfaces.

Makes sense. What's the update rate? Thanks for answering these.

It was supposed to be out in Dec, but had dozens of bugs, some of which were nasty, which delayed it. It was not released until Jan 27. I usually like to see the first bug fix update after a major new version to see what bugs slipped by or were found and labeled know issues. They have not released one yet. No thanks. We don't have time to wait. 2019.2.17 has been working fine for a month after a few days of fixing problems.

Can't say I blame you tbh. Best to stay on a more stable version than a new one that might still have bugs.

I don't really do side projects. Spend enough time working on 7dtd.

We are still plugging away on the conversion to linear color space. A lot of good work has been done so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31312[/ATTACH]

What about the fog though, kind of takes away from the sunset :(

Mr. Mole,

during A18 Dev Diaries you talked about how you wanted to enable Players to scavenge Objects they find in Prefabs.

If i recall correctly it was kinda like: See a Water-Dispenser in any Location, Pick it up, place it in inventory and put it up again in your Inventory.

Any news on this? Is this making its way to A19?

As a Basebuilder im really eager for that^^.

Hey @madmole I think you said vehicle mods are coming in A19, or was that A20?

Anyway, I would live to see that cow catcher rack on the front of the 4x4 be an accessory. Or at least make it so it doesn't do damage or ramp and wedge blocks.

its the first topic under the First Page

"Vehicle Update

Vehicle Mods

Vehicle break down and collision system"

But i too would like to have some more detailed informations on that

@madmole

what are the chances of upgrading the network communications?

not sure if i am gonna say this right but i am gonna try.

Telnet needs to be upgraded to help out the server hosts.

most games are using UDP for ports.

i am not a network guru and in fact is it my weak point Network security.

that is why i have team members for that.

the biggest thing they hate is telnet and tcp.

as i understand it those are very old and very easy to compromise.

will you be looking to upgrade or use newer network protocols in the future?

**and sorry to everyone if i butchered that lol*

You are right about telnet. If someone is listening on the line he can see your password in plaintext. It is advisable to first log into the server in a secure way (on windows you would use rdp, on linux or mac ssh). Then connect locally to the console via telnet. Obviously that is cumbersome.

TCP has nothing to do with this. TCP is as old as UDP and can be as secure or insecure as a UDP-connection. Modern and old protocols (like telnet, rdp, ssh, http https) all use TCP or UDP depending on which makes more sense.

Is there going to be a bolt action mag-fed rifle coming in A19?

i would like to see a "Hunting rifle Strip clip" mod

that allows you to fire 3 extra shots but lowers the damage.

it would make sense cuz you would want more ammo. and if i was a Wastelander with the Knowhow to fix up guns.

i would add a Clip that adds ammo. or a Strip clip like the Kar98K , Springfield and others

Mr. Mole,

during A18 Dev Diaries you talked about how you wanted to enable Players to scavenge Objects they find in Prefabs.

If i recall correctly it was kinda like: See a Water-Dispenser in any Location, Pick it up, place it in inventory and put it up again in your Inventory.

Any news on this? Is this making its way to A19?

As a Basebuilder im really eager for that^^.

Not on the roadmap yet.

Hey @madmole I think you said vehicle mods are coming in A19, or was that A20?

Anyway, I would live to see that cow catcher rack on the front of the 4x4 be an accessory. Or at least make it so it doesn't do damage or ramp and wedge blocks.

A20.

its the first topic under the First Page

"Vehicle Update

Vehicle Mods

Vehicle break down and collision system"

But i too would like to have some more detailed informations on that

That might have to get deleted Shawn is pretty busy with the linear lighting.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived