Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

16 minutes ago, bjurney said:

We had our first horde night in A19 and it ended in less than an hour and a half. In past alphas this was how it was when you killed enough zombies but in A18 they would come all night long. Are there supposed to be a finite amount of zombies or is it a bug or was A18 a bug?

It's been this way for awhile. There are X amount of zombies that will spawn based on your gamestage. If you kill them all, no more BM zombies spawn. There used to be trickle zombies that would send 1-2 zombies until 4am but that was removed at some point. You may have been using a modified gamestages file in A18 or earlier (these were pretty popular) or you may have forgotten how easy early hordes are. The other thing to keep in mind is that gamestage progresses slower than in earlier alphas and that difficulty level no longer has a gamestage modifier. Consequently, BM hordes will ramp up slower than in previous alphas.

3 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

It's been this way for awhile. There are X amount of zombies that will spawn based on your gamestage. If you kill them all, no more BM zombies spawn. There used to be trickle zombies that would send 1-2 zombies until 4am but that was removed at some point. You may have been using a modified gamestages file in A18 or earlier (these were pretty popular) or you may have forgotten how easy early hordes are. The other thing to keep in mind is that gamestage progresses slower than in early alphas and that difficulty level no longer has a gamestage modifier. Consequently, BM hordes will ramp up slower than in previous alphas.

Thanks, I am fairly certain I didn’t have a mod for gamestage, not unless it got snuck in with something completely unrelated, but I don’t think that’s the case. Mostly wanted to make sure it was running as intended and not a bug since it was so different than how A18 used to run. However, maybe it wasn’t running as intended in A18 though, I’m unsure at this point. 

58 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

I think the duration of injuries is fine. They ensure that your actions have consequences.  Besides, the duration of Injuries can be shortened with consumables and by spending perk points. The injuries give you a reason not to Rambo zombies in the first week before you've gotten armor, consumables, and perk points. There are always going to be players who would rather eat glass than overcome adversity.  The game shouldn't be balanced around those players. As to new players, this game has always had a steep learning curve. If someone rage quits because of an injury, a survival game is probably just not their cup of tea.

I didn't ask what YOU think of the duration of injuries... personally I do like the new injury system and I know all the reasons why it is great.

That's not my point.

I was trying to see it from a new player perspective. This could potentially be a pitfall.

Sure, we already know how to play the game, we also aren't in TFP's shoes, so we couldn't care less if they lose customers or get bad reviews because of this.

But if the injury time is perceived as a punishment and "boring gameplay" from the new players then I think something should be done about it... isn't experimental precisely for that? Some people, for example, are just suiciding after a bad injury because it's simpler and they get bored waiting to heal because they can't come up with something "fun" to do while they wait (they can't run, they can't jump and so on...).

Isn't the name of the devs "The Fun Pimps" after all? 😁

47 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I didn't ask what YOU think of the duration of injuries... personally I do like the new injury system and I know all the reasons why it is great.

That's not my point.

I was trying to see it from a new player perspective. This could potentially be a pitfall.

Sure, we already know how to play the game, we also aren't in TFP's shoes, so we couldn't care less if they lose customers or get bad reviews because of this.

But if the injury time is perceived as a punishment and "boring gameplay" from the new players then I think something should be done about it... isn't experimental precisely for that? Some people, for example, are just suiciding after a bad injury because it's simpler and they get bored waiting to heal because they can't come up with something "fun" to do while they wait (they can't run, they can't jump and so on...).

Isn't the name of the devs "The Fun Pimps" after all? 😁

I was thinking about ALL players in my post. I also still vividly remember my experience as a new player in 7dtd.  As I said, there are some people who don't like dealing with adversity and don't feel satisfied in overcoming it. Those players, new or old, won't have "fun" if the game throws adversity at them. There would inevitably be SOME  players, new and old, that perceive injuries as "boring gameplay." That doesn't mean that the injury duration needs to change for "new players." A new player who doesn't like dealing with stamina, inventory/encumbrance, or injuries is probably not playing the right game. This is not solely a zombie horde or building game. It is also a RPG survival game.  You start weak and you grow strong through equipment, consumables, and skills.   Injuries are intended to affect game play. To do so they need a sufficiently long duration. Reducing injury duration so that injuries can simply be ignored renders them pointless. Is getting a broken leg a pain? Absolutely. But that means its working as intended because it encourages you not to get a broken leg in the future. 

13 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

I was thinking about ALL players in my post. I also still vividly remember my experience as a new player in 7dtd.  As I said, there are some people who don't like dealing with adversity and don't feel satisfied in overcoming it. Those players, new or old, won't have "fun" if the game throws adversity at them. There were inevitably be SOME  players, new and old, that perceive injuries as "boring gameplay." That doesn't mean that the injury duration needs to change for "new players." A new player who doesn't like dealing with stamina, inventory/encumbrance, or injuries is probably not playing the right game. This is not solely a zombie horde or building game. It is also a RPG survival game.  You start weak and you grow strong through equipment, consumables, and skills.   Injuries are intended to affect game play. To do so they need a sufficiently long duration. Reducing injury duration so that injuries can simply be ignored renders them pointless. Is getting a broken leg a pain? Absolutely. But that means its working as intended because it encourages you not to get a broken leg in the future. 

*Sits in the back of the room whistling all innocent like and twiddling my thumbs, not knowing what critical hits are like since I've yet to experience once since I'm so awesome at this game* 😜

ive heard this come up every now and then about the stone age but idrk what it is. Im playing experimental right now and i guess its just early levels? Ive only found stone tools and blunderbi. Can anybody give my ignorant @%$*#! a little run down about what it exactly is and how it works?

14 minutes ago, CholulaSouls said:

ive heard this come up every now and then about the stone age but idrk what it is. Im playing experimental right now and i guess its just early levels? Ive only found stone tools and blunderbi. Can anybody give my ignorant @%$*#! a little run down about what it exactly is and how it works?

It's in the patch notes which can be found here:https://7daystodie.com/a19-official-release-notes/. The top part of the notes explains the major changes. Give it a read.

Here's an excerpt on leveled loot: 

• Tech 0 (GS 1-11) – Primitive tools, weapons and armor including a bow and the blunderbuss.
  • Tech 1 (GS 12) – Iron or similar melee items and armor and and the first proper firearms like a pistol or double barrel shotgun.
  • Tech 2 (GS 50) – The best melee items, bows and armor and mid range firearms like a pump-action shotgun.
  • Tech 3 (GS 91) – The most advanced firearms like an M60 or the Sniper Rifle

When I sprained my leg is used it as an opportunity to organize my loot and spend perk points.

The intent of the new injury system, I think, is to make you think twice before mindlessly brawl with every zombie you come across. Injuries should have a consequence. In a18, injuries didnt make me flinch.

2 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

When I sprained my leg is used it as an opportunity to organize my loot and spend perk points.

The intent of the new injury system, I think, is to make you think twice before mindlessly brawl with every zombie you come across. Injuries should have a consequence. In a18, injuries didnt make me flinch.

Still doing just that, still doing just fine. ;) The trick is to rush straight for the zombies and shoot your blunderbuss or power attack with your melee weapon just as soon as you get right in their face, and just keep on running. 😛

A19 -  Just want to say Bravo to TFP.

The new models for the zombies, container, world items are just awesome.

My wife has been playing this game way longer than me (3700+ hrs played to may paltry 990) and seems like every few minutes she is talking about something else on how the game looks / feels.  

If ya made her happy, ya make me happy.

Props on all the hard work.

7 hours ago, FileMachete said:

@Khalagar , can't recall if you mentioned already seeing the Reach Gaming video on YT where he & RJ test the Junk Sledge against day 56 horde, with maxed perks, so just in case you haven't;  https://youtu.be/eRWTNEs_-CQ

Yeah, I am actually planning on stealing that hallway design to try a few tests with lol

From the tests I've seen and done, it just doesn't seem like placement mode has any use at all because the Junk Turret is just better no matter what and you can just scrap the sledge and craft a junk turret with it's parts instead. Even if the sledge didn't take a placement slot from the turret it would still be . . .questionable but at least worth placing.

I mostly hope they at least just buff it in handheld mode so it's a viable handheld melee weapon

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I read people on Steam complaining about the injuries effect duration.

I broke my leg, splinted it, then had like 45+ minutes of having to baby it. A bit extreme imo, especially early game when you are having to go 1+ km for missions on foot and don't have a vehicle or only have a bicycle at best which makes your leg worse.

The other injuries I've had aren't too bad, but the broken leg duration is pretty long. I believe it was Madmole who broke his leg in the dev stream and basically had a broken leg the rest of the night and even mentioned maybe toning it down

24 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

Leg injury is not so bad. You simply need to walk, not run for 10 minutes. It goes by fast.

Huh, 10 minutes? Mine was 45+ after splinting it. I had to spend ages just walking everywhere without running. It was actually when I decided to try some mining so I wouldn't have to move around but ran into all the stamina and food issues with mining instead

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Still doing just that, still doing just fine. ;) The trick is to rush straight for the zombies and shoot your blunderbuss or power attack with your melee weapon just as soon as you get right in their face, and just keep on running. 😛

I love power attacks...and the blunderbuss.  Most of the time I use power attacks to knock down zeds to limit getting hit.

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I love power attacks...and the blunderbuss.  Most of the time I use power attacks to knock down zeds to limit getting hit.

It's also fun whacking them in the crotch or the foot and see how they react. 😛 "This little piggy went to market..."

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The other injuries I've had aren't too bad, but the broken leg duration is pretty long. I believe it was Madmole who broke his leg in the dev stream and basically had a broken leg the rest of the night and even mentioned maybe toning it down

Huh, 10 minutes? Mine was 45+ after splinting it

Sprained leg was 10 minutes. Wow, 45 minutes to heal a broken leg? That does seem a bit extreme.

3 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

If someone's goal is to have a player-built horde base by Day 7 they can do it. You can mine enough clay and rock or loot enough cobblestone without a heavy investment in Strength.  You also don't need anything fancy for Day 7. I had two-thick cobblestone walls and the Day 7 horde only managed to break one block and damage some others.  

We had a horde base by day 5, used the POI with the chain link fence where the gate is open, placed barbed wire in front of the gate, and I had reinforced the inside of the trash container with cobblestone and wood railings @ 4 high to make a final defense if we needed it.

We didn't need it.  We slaughtered the Z's with blunderbuss shots through the chain link fence.

30 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

Leg injury is not so bad. You simply need to walk, not run for 10 minutes. It goes by fast.

If the "streamers" I've seen are any sort of reasonable sample size of the portion of the player base that play with blood moon horde nights turned on, "forcing" them to not sprint constantly is going to be a bit rage inducing.

1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

I doubt this is intentional and saw this behaviour in A18.

20200702192014-1.jpg

Doors that are flagged as locked/act locked but are visually open in the POI....

That's been a thing for years, including newer POI's. Doggos is one such example. Definitely intentional.

4 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

I doubt this is intentional and saw this behaviour in A18.

20200702192014-1.jpg

Doors that are flagged as locked/act locked but are visually open in the POI....

Probably an oversight.  Which POI is that?

Archived