Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

10 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

If its anyhting liek nvidia, itll be a replaster 2000 series with "upgrades" lol companies these days

Well the chip architecture is usually what signifies those label changes, from Turing to Pascal, etc... but they rarely if ever use those terms when talking about consumer level graphics boards. That stuff is for their more hardcore server farm super computer level machines, a huge part of that industry(same tech mostly, they just use different language between the two markets). Know where the Titan card got it's name? The TITAN super computer that was the first built with that new chip architecture, and it became the immediate world record holder when it went online. They also debuted the Titan graphics card as the first consumer level product that uses that level of tech... it is STILL mind-blowing to me that this card is capable of over 4 Teraflops... that's a super computer measurement, was anyway until that card existed.

Anyway, the upcoming cards are the second generation of "Real Time Raytracing" tech, a big deal in itself, but first gens are always a learning experience, so this upcoming gen should have all kinds of improvements. But no it will not be the same tech rebranded, in fact most of the existing cards will retain value, hard to predict tbh, we'll see in the coming months.

58 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Yeah... despite being a Titan, it only has 6GB, which WAS a lot at the time, but now my sons 2 yr old mid-range GTX 1080 even has more with 8 GB.

I would rather run a lower settings than EVER see any texture as low as texture streaming takes them, it honestly feels like a LOD system that isn't working right. 

But yes good point, I will adjust accordingly... until I upgrade, may get a 2080 Ti, with 11 or 12 GB, to hold me over until I can afford a new Titan with 24 GB.

My old Gtx 1070 founders edition had 11Gb of vram

57 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

It does seem to have swung that way overall, yes, for the time being anyway. Once both the next gen consoles and new suite of graphics cards drop and settle in I imagine that will jump again, probably to 12 or 16 maybe. Wonder how long that'll take. Combine that with a new gen M.2 drive with NVME and holy hot damn, can hear my grandkids now: "It used to take time to load games? What's a framerate?"

This man has big brain!

Uga booga me is stone

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Generally I don't want the AI doing loops that can't reach you. Temporary loops are fine as long as they degrade and are destroyed at some point, so they then get closer and eventually reach you if you did nothing.

Thanks for the feedback.

4 hours ago, Star69 said:

stamina drain is harsher especially using iron tools

The is the only non Junk Sledge balance  / Junk Turret not using mods complaint I have with A19 honestly. Stamina drain on tools is insane. Even drinking black strap coffee, normal coffee, water (hoping it stacks with the others too), and eating a Chili Dog and Bacon and Eggs, mining is terrible, and that's with me just using an Iron Pick. I have to stop non stop and I can only swing my steel shovel a couple of times at most before I'm winded

Auger can't come fast enough, I am honestly probably just going to stop mining until I get one. Like Madmole mentioned yesterday, I have been finding WAY more cement and cobble by just shoveling out the concrete bags at PoI, but even that takes for ever. I spent like 10 minutes IRL just clearing a room of it's cement bags because of stamina drain, and that's with 3/5 Miner 69 and a Steel shovel

Tool stamina use seems pretty whack, and the food and water drain is extreme. I popped a rock breaker candy, black strap coffee, and normal coffee and was going to mine for the 10 minutes until my candy wore off.  In that time I went through almost an entire stack of normal Coffee, several water and other drinks to see if they would stack stamina regen and to recoup my constant water drain, several cans of food, and by the time I has 2 minutes left on my candy buff I had to stop mining and go back to base because I was below half food and was getting stamina locked

4 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The is the only non Junk Sledge / Junk Turret not using mods complain I have with A19 honestly. Stamina drain on tools is insane. Even drinking black strap coffee, normal coffee, water (hoping it stacks with the others too), and eating a Chili Dog and Bacon and Eggs, mining is terrible, even with me just using an Iron Pick. I have to stop non stop and I can only swing my steel shovel a couple of times at most before I'm winded

Auger can't come fast enough, I am honestly probably just going to stop mining until I get one. Like Madmole mentioned yesterday, I have been finding WAY more cement and cobble by just shoveling out the concrete bags at PoI, but even that takes for ever. I spent like 10 minutes IRL just clearing a room of it's cement bags because of stamina drain, and that's with 3/5 Miner 69 and a Steel shovel

Tool stamina use seems pretty whack, and the food and water drain is extreme. I popped a rock breaker candy, black strap coffee, and normal coffee and was going to mine for the 10 minutes until my candy wore off.  In that time I went through almost an entire stack of normal Coffee, several water and other drinks to see if they would stack, several cans of food, and by the time I has 2 minutes left on my candy buff I had to stop mining and go back to base because I was below half food and was getting stamina locked

i agree!

Iron tools take WAY to much stamina, the Axe i can understand but the shovel and Pick? no but it should be more then the Stone tools, it was annoying to mine metal because i had to take a break every 5 seconds!

and with the Cement! i like the idea of another way to get cement but IMO its way to easy! hell most people get cement from POIS

now if maybe it gave some Raw cement and rocks but mostly gives sand! it makes sense, some if not most bags would be old!

2 hours ago, Star69 said:

To be honest, the only irritating thing is getting hit by zombies with no swing animation. There’s no visual swing hit, the only way that I know I’m hit is my characters reaction. Now I’m on a dedicated server so it might be a ‘net thing’, but nonetheless is obnoxious.

That's not just a MP thing. It happens in my SP game as well.

A few more bugs I encountered:

1-Zombie head hitboxes are above the actual head. Happens with every weapon. In multiplayer, some of my partners reported having the spear stick on air  noticeably on top of the head.

Never tried that myself with the spear, but definitely getting head hits  above the head with the rest of the melee weapons. 

2-Buried supplies circle differs from admin to client.

3- Zombies stand up 1 or 2 blocks  in the air when player stays too close while Zd is performing the "standing up" animation (bug happens quite often)

Also happens when they have some obstacle with collision close and they stand up glueing to the air 1 or 2 blocks above said obstacle.

Zds should ignore player collision (not hit collision, I hope that's separate) and certain tricky blocks when performing the "standing up" animation.

4- Shooting a Zd while it's eating another player shows no feedback at all.

5-Natural hp healing is 1 point per 60 seconds. Healing factor perk says 1 point per 90 seconds (wrong and misleading), in fact,  Rank 1 of HEALING FACTOR grants 1 point each 40 seconds. Didn't check the rest. 

No wonder that you guys deemed it too good.

HEALING FACTOR should be something like this when fixed:

Natural healing: 60 seconds.

RANK 1: 1 per 50

RANK 2: 1 per 45

RANK 3: 1 per 40

RANK 4: 1 PER 35

RANK 5: 1 PER 30

Or something like that. Maybe setting natural healing to 90 seconds and then 60,50,45,40,30 would be better.

1 hour ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Well - got killed by my first Day 7 horde in a long time. The lack of firearms is a big game changer early going.

I will say, I don't understand why  people like the blunderbuss in SP. It takes too long to load and does not do a lot of damage. 

I went 3 or 4 days with nothing but a baseball bat and a blunderbuss and it was fun as hell.

I have a newfound love for the blunderbuss, it's a great early weapon. I dig that it feels relevant now, I sure use it way more than I ever have before.

One thing I found that really helps, and is fun to do anyway, is line up as many as you can in each shot. It's a great feeling being able to one-shot multiple zeds at a time early game. 

6 hours ago, Mechanimal said:

Random shoutout, 2 of my new fav things are:

- New forge and campfire, they just look so damn good now, love the new fire effects.

- New zombie animations... I have never LOL'd so much in a 7DTD playthrough, not even close, hands down. I even had to pause once because I was laughing too hard.

I enjoy it so much I try to instigate it when I can, like breaking a door to the last little bit and waiting for them to bust through, and straight flop faceplant , or run into a wall like it isn't there, or burst out hit the rail and flip over the balcony, etc, etc... clearing houses just got so much more entertaining. I love it so.

Oh I know that feeling. Yesterday I spotted a cheerleader wandering an open area of the forest biome, and before I took my shot at her with my bow and arrows, she randomly jumped for whatever reason. When she landed, she ragdolled and pretty much did a face plant. I was laughing for ten minutes straight. 😂

1 hour ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

I will say, I don't understand why  people like the blunderbuss in SP. It takes too long to load and does not do a lot of damage. 

It's a 1 hit kill headshot even on the second hardest difficulty, which is what I play on. At least for basic zombies it is. It does pretty solid damage for early game

Also if you aren't doing this, you are doing it wrong.

tp2Iv2A.jpg?1

You literally role play a pirate ship and sail up and broad side the living crap out of stuff then run away to go reload. Super fun early game. I actually hope they fix the Double Barrel spawning thing where double barrels are spawning early game, because they take away the use of the blunderbuss

42 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

I went 3 or 4 days with nothing but a baseball bat and a blunderbuss and it was fun as hell.

I have a newfound love for the blunderbuss, it's a great early weapon. I dig that it feels relevant now, I sure use it way more than I ever have before.

One thing I found that really helps, and is fun to do anyway, is line up as many as you can in each shot. It's a great feeling being able to one-shot multiple zeds at a time early game. 

I am not giving up on the blunderbuss yet, so far my experience with it is not great. I have yet to one-shot anything with it and even at close range I have not seen more than one zombie react to being hit.

28 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

You literally role play a pirate ship and sail up and broad side the living crap out of stuff then run away to go reload. Super fun early game. I actually hope they fix the Double Barrel spawning thing where double barrels are spawning early game, because they take away the use of the blunderbuss

I can try it - but I think I had found a total of two so the idea of chaining them was not much of an option yet.

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

He said he spawned it in, as well as the ceiling fan. :)

thats kinda dumb.

rant

Spoiler

Why can't we craft or buy them? Hell i don't care if there is a trader that only sells you decorations! TAKE ALL MY DUKES!

and DON'T ASK WHY I NEED ONE!

Just now, Caelen Tigris said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw a mannequin at a trader once in A18. If I remember right, it was in the secret stash.

the Mannequin was added in A19

unless..................

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

thats kinda dumb.

rant

Reveal hidden contents

Why can't we craft or buy them? Hell i don't care if there is a trader that only sells you decorations! TAKE ALL MY DUKES!

and DON'T ASK WHY I NEED ONE!

Hey, I spawn in deco occasionally (although I sometimes throw away materials that would theoretically be used to craft them). Nothing wrong with that, unless you're using them as some form of base defense of course.

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Hey, I spawn in deco occasionally (although I sometimes throw away materials that would theoretically be used to craft them). Nothing wrong with that, unless you're using them as some form of base defense of course.

i guess you're right but to me it feels wrong! i just kinda wish that we could get them in some way shape or from! kinda like the Metal furniture Block!

there could be!

Stone furniture

Plastic furniture

Electronic furniture (fans, PCs, Cash registers etc)

Store furniture (props like empty gun store racks, Mo power Pcs, etc)

Glass furniture (stuff like medical Cabinets)

Cloth/Paper (POSTERS)! 

ETC

13 hours ago, madmole said:

I never intended to sound like do it my way or the highway. But it is a very viable and super quick thing to do. There is no dragging and drop, you simply shift click off, shift click on and only scrap/leather/iron pieces, padded have no penalty and can stay on, so typically its 1-2 pieces before I get a bicycle. You shift click it back on too. I see a lot of people play that don't use shift click and they lose hours doing their slow dragging and dropping all the time for every action.

If you even watch me play with Rick and Lathan there was a scene were they were in front of me, I stopped, took off my heavy stuff, and then ran right by them, so in the grand scheme of things, it is faster. I treat it like mega crush though. Once I take my armor off I am in sprint mode and will not stop for distractions or combat unless its an easy zed I know I can kill with one shot to the face because it is easy to forget your armor is off and get messed up.

If you are traveling to the POI without 5 free slots for armor then I have to question your inventory management choices :) Coming home is different, but steroids help. I will hit up gas stations and tennis court concessions though I see for mega crush, that is a must have early game. Otherwise I don't get sidetracked when going to the POI because daylight is burning and I can't stand crouching in an attic at night, I like to get back to base, organize and mine for whatever is left of the evening.

It's more constantly fumbling with the menu rather than inventory slots for me personally, but I can see where you're coming from.

On another topic, for whatever reason my game's framerate tanks whenever it renders large bodies of water (lakes, ponds, etc). As soon as I'm not looking at them, my frame rate jumps back up; look back at them, immediate dip from 60+ to 10. Water quality had no effect. Then I traveled a distance away, came back, and it rendered fine with no frame drops. Weird.

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I see... so if I read two IKEA instructions for assembling a closet I'll have it switch from fir wood to oak wood? 😁

That's a net gain! Thanks for the tip! 🤑

Careful, though. Reading Ikea instructions backwards has been known to summon minor demons.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived