Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, FileMachete said:

On the general stamina bit, I failed to distinctly bring up boredom. Very early game there's little to do at night for those hunkering down. Mining has always been the go-to middle of night activity. If stamina burn rate is high, like a17 exp was, then you take a few wacks, wait to regen stamina, take a few more, wait, do that 5 times to break a single block. Nothing else to do so it's quickly tedious and boring. Sure, it's a choice. Can be brave and go out in the pitch black w a torch and loot I guess? Just seems counter productive to, in effect, discourage early game mining. Especially when there are several other ways to insure it doesn't become overpowered or result in too rapid progression.

I tend to frame my house up before dusk and upgrade the walls from the inside where it's reasonably safe if I'm not set up to mine yet. There is plenty to do at night if you plan ahead. Cook glue, boil water, drinks, whatever food you have, make some torches, upgrade your walls, craft pockets ASAP, craft farm plots, organize your gear into chests. If you are daring go outside and chop nearby trees. I try to build my 7x7 on top of a mine so its right there to mine, if not I'll have some nearby and go crouch dig until I get my hatch and ceiling over the hole. I try to do that before dusk too though. Preparation and planning for the win.

I really enjoy the music but the combat music is no good to me I'd love to keep it on 100% especially being at the base is amazing but again the combat music ruins it for me. If there were sliders I'd love to turn that part of it off

4 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Also @madmole

are you guys planing on Updating the Store images on the steam page? because some if not most of them are a bit....... Dated

They do that on stable versions usually, but maybe a small announce, that there is another big update popping out, is a good idea to be put out there. 

5 hours ago, Roland said:

He means that the bar at the top of this thread has the link to the bug report forum. I will add the link to the Updating to Alpha 19 instructions announcement as well.

Also, the old bug reporting forum has simply been hidden from view and not deleted so your topic is not gone and the QA team can still benefit from your screenshots and there is no need for you to do them again. 

Thanks for both your A19 and forum feedback. :) 

Forum got hidden while I was trying to add my pregen3 crash logs to my report. Any way I can get those in somehow? 

41 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Also @madmole

are you guys planing on Updating the Store images on the steam page? because some if not most of them are a bit....... Dated

Maybe after stable, we don't want new customers to think we're false advertising when the graphics they see don't match.

56 minutes ago, madmole said:

I don't know about game play videos, we will see. I do plan on making some more base tour videos, this medieval house actually is turning out really cool, but it takes so long to build epic things in 7 days if you aren't cheating anyway. Might be a while yet :) I discovered the incline shape that makes rooves take way less space and the half eaves. I had to cheat some pieces in, I want to get them moved to the helper blocks soon so players can use them and make cool stuff.

And THAT part is fun for me.  Can I build a base that can defend against hordes AND look awesome...😃

@madmole , thanks for taking the time to reply and clarify, it's helpful & appreciated. Also glad I didn't push a button as that was by no means my intent, though my poor writing certainly left a number of things open to various interpretations.. 😥

(just wish my college english teacher hadn't been a major grad student babe, I might have learned something...)

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I wrote that tip. Its true. DPS is poor on the fire axe is less than about every other melee weapon. It isn't useless, but if you are looking for DPS there are much better choices.

I'm scared to argue with numbers out of fear of getting my baby nerfed haha

I can't wait for the new steel axe, thus far my fire axe has been man's best friend

Unrelated to the axe, but have you considered moving the wrench perk to Strength or Int so it can be with the rest of the crafting perks? What does perception even have to do with using a wrench? I've never looked at a mechanic and been like "Man the peepers on that guy could spot an ant in a pepper pile".   I would think intelligence (training on how to take a car apart) or strength (breaking stuck lug nuts loose) would make way more sense than a tree all about long range sniping and explosions

Build wise it being in perception is cumbersome because it's completely away from every other crafting / builder type skill so I don't even invest in it because I'd have to sink so many points in a tree I don't want anything else out of. 

5 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

If someone's goal is to have a player-built horde base by Day 7 they can do it. You can mine enough clay and rock or loot enough cobblestone without a heavy investment in Strength.  You also don't need anything fancy for Day 7. I had two-thick cobblestone walls and the Day 7 horde only managed to break one block and damage some others.  

One small clarification. Builders don't need strength. Miners do. If you want to mine for base building materials you will need to invest some points in strength. It doesn't take much. If you aren't investing any points in miner 69er and Sexy-rex as a miner you are unlikely to have a good time. 

If you want to be a builder, you can always lower AI block damage. I started a new game last night using pregen1.
I'm playing blood moons every 2 days, 50% AI block damage and I'm not allowed to live in POIs, so I have to build something.

My day 2 base.

7dtdA19PG1Day2Base.thumb.png.d3e957bd9389e7b1190c30a27627dd24.png

23 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I can't wait for the new steel axe, thus far my fire axe has been man's best friend

Unrelated to the axe, but have you considered moving the wrench perk to Strength or Int so it can be with the rest of the crafting perks? What does perception even have to do with using a wrench? I've never looked at a mechanic and been like "Man the peepers on that guy could spot an ant in a pepper pile".   I would think intelligence (training on how to take a car apart) or strength (breaking stuck lug nuts loose) would make way more sense than a tree all about long range sniping and explosions

Build wise it being in perception is cumbersome because it's completely away from every other crafting / builder type skill so I don't even invest in it because I'd have to sink so many points in a tree I don't want anything else out of. 

You are right. Lets move Motherlode into Perception so Bad Mechanic doesn't feel so alone. 😁

3 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

Just noticed this in the b157 update today.

• Player's own turrets will shoot player's own robotic drone

is the drone in? or is that note for there own benefit lol

Drone has not been enabled. The note does apply to you though, since when we enable it, it won't be shot by your turrets.

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Also @madmole

Glad you mentioned that, I just gifted a copy to one of my sons friends, he didn't seem really impressed ahead of time as he looked at the Steam page, but then we got into game and he was like "whoa, what, this looks WAY better than I was expecting."

We're having fun, and as a new player he is picking things up really well, things seem to be more intuitive for new players from what I've seen so far.

Anyway, yeah, update yo Steam page you joyous pimparinos.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Maybe after stable, we don't want new customers to think we're false advertising when the graphics they see don't match.

Ah, does make sense, but at least a newer image or two would be helpful in the meantime, something to at least show some of the newer assets and new lighting, etc. 

I just played the experimental and this game is really cool. I noticed that there are now several new preset maps along with Navezgane to play with. Besides random gen RG ofc. I still chose Navezgane

While I won't go into details about the Navezgane map I will say that I do like it.

Roland, I saw that trader we were talking about a few months ago. Glad you didn't tell me about it then. :)

I found that there are plenty of animals to hunt. That one of the best weapons to use is the knife. Because you can carve up an animal, stab a zombie and go right back to carving without stopping. ;) 

The first house I went into I was very lucky. I broke into the kitchen which was loaded and got out just in time to avoid the sleepers. 

Also love the new zombies, just wish that you all spent some time adding new zombie sounds. 

I did notice a new sound for the knife. It will take me awhile to get used to. 

Anyways great game you guys. Thanks. 

Btw, I've only had time to play a few games, and not really far in any of them yet, however I did finally find one of the melee turrets, and... I dig it. Knew I'd have to play with it myself, after a few experiments I found some useful ways to place it.

It has been mildly helpful early game, and I mean that in a good way, not OP but not useless either. It can really help slow a stream of Z in a doorway after you accidentally wake up to many, for example. I found it useful enough to keep on me, and will continue to do so. Curious how I'll use it later in a playthrough.

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

And THAT part is fun for me.  Can I build a base that can defend against hordes AND look awesome...😃

I do that most the time, but this time I'm just building a great looking base, and I'll do horde night on a tower nowhere near my good stuff or on the edge of it.

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

The idea is the guy is good at procuring things, he has an eye for where to look. Putting it under strength would make strength even more OP. Putting it under INT would make that one OP again. I think it is fine where it is I can get plenty of resources without it, all it does is give you more stuff and speed harvest, but it doesn't take very long to strip a car down with a brown wrench TBH. I mean I really doubt a perked up miner could mine all night and sell his ore for more than a guy on a minibike with 0 perception and a brown wrench can. Engines, batteries and parts sell for a decent amount.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

You are right. Lets move Motherlode into Perception so Bad Mechanic doesn't feel so alone. 😁

Salvage operations is motherlode and miner 69r under one banner.

27 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Glad you mentioned that, I just gifted a copy to one of my sons friends, he didn't seem really impressed ahead of time as he looked at the Steam page, but then we got into game and he was like "whoa, what, this looks WAY better than I was expecting."

We're having fun, and as a new player he is picking things up really well, things seem to be more intuitive for new players from what I've seen so far.

Anyway, yeah, update yo Steam page you joyous pimparinos.

Ah, does make sense, but at least a newer image or two would be helpful in the meantime, something to at least show some of the newer assets and new lighting, etc. 

We will update the store, getting A19 to stable is a higher priority.

Hot diggity daffodil, this game looks bloody amazing now! I only just recently upgraded my PC from a i7 4770 + 970 GTX to a 3700X + RTX 2080 Super and boy am I glad I did, It's real treat for my eyes, I especially love the way the weapons look and change when you add mods. SO. GOOD.
Combat feels easier in A19 like the weapons feel more effective in the beginning now then they did in A18, I always play on warrior so I definitely am noticing a big difference and it feels good.

Still my favorite game Pimps, keep it up please! ❤️

3 hours ago, Feycat said:

I gotta ask... the patch notes say that corner cupboards were stealing faces? That sounds like some Freddie Kruegar @%$*#!, what does that mean in human-speak?

it means a corner cupboard could be placed at certain angles on another corner cabinet and render a face transparent and shoot thru. which is now fixed.

YW :)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

16 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

No sé si fue posible en A18, pero en A19 puedes raspar cemento a 3/4 de su proporción en piedra. Llegué a varios graneros y sitios de construcción durante la primera semana y reuní todas las paletas de cemento para desecharlas ... ¿Creo que obtuve 2 pilas de piedra de todo eso? Además fui pequeño con esta base; el anillo interior es solo de losa y no de adoquines (paredes gruesas dobles), ya que mi base actual en la que estoy trabajando solo está masticando mis recursos.

Además, difícilmente me llamaría un veterano. Jaja. Conozco el juego y lo seguí a través de creadores de contenido en YouTube desde A10 o A11, pero solo comencé a jugar cuando A17 EXP apareció.

You started playing in the WORST alpha game haha. OMG what a mess that alpha was. And we waited for it 1 year and 5 months!

Empezaste a jugar en el PEOR alpha del juego jaja. Dios mío que desastre fue ese alpha. Y lo esperamos ¡1 año y 5 meses!

3 hours ago, Feycat said:

I gotta ask... the patch notes say that corner cupboards were stealing faces? That sounds like some Freddie Kruegar @%$*#!, what does that mean in human-speak?

Speaking of Freddie, he might be wandering around...keep your eyes peeled....:P

1 hour ago, FileMachete said:

That looks & sounds like fun :) Base defense wise what's the plan? Start on the Left and retreat across the bridge if needed? I'd be interested in hearing/seeing how the horde night goes, hope you'll update us!

I did the day 2 BM last night. I did not have those frames around the edge. Was just fighting them from inside, because they can't get over. WRONG, 2 of them used others and jumped over. I lost half my heath before I climbed out. Killed those from above and dropped back inside to kill the rest through the openings.

My GS was 6, so I only had about 6 or 8 zeds.

Archived