Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

whats the number of MF's left?

Last I saw from MM was 23. Its the weekend now, so I dont expect that number to change until late Monday. Some Devs may keep pushing through to get it out, but they need some time to not stare at code and instead spend time with their families.

nothing you claimed is a fact. its either your opinion or a lame troll approach as i tried to answer every single point of your list honestly and yet you havent responded to it else then to provoke other Forum users.

I haven't responded yet because you ran so fast from defending the game that you practically did what you addressed to me, explaining things to something i didn't pointed out ( like the reasons or the validity of its removals), with your preference

- you said that "there are more type of zombies" which was not the argument since i just said there was generally less. then you said that zombies in the wilderness add nothing to the gameplay which is BS since in early and mid game they were a tension source for scavengers, also if bloodmoon is the central focus of the game i would just play any other generic zombies wave games.

-Yes you get clay with ground digging now, then what ? Still Clay spots are no more in the game, can't understand how you debunked this. Still a fact

- i judge the perk system cause it is what we currently have and something that yet have to comes out can't deny me from doing it.

-i did followed the diary books and the argument it's the same, something that yet have to come out can't deny an actual argument, how does this works for you knight defenders ? when some one criticized the A17 preview update you all said to shut up cause no one actually knew what would have come from it and how it would have been like once out. "wait before talking about something it's not there yet", but you can do the opposite to benefit your theses? Cheap move.

-Maps size have been reduced for performance which is not false as you said, my "false" was actually pointing at those performance which basically used to be and still being worse in some cases, also yes i played A17 and it is what prevented me and all my friends to keep playing the game ( funny fact, we used to have a big italian community on the game for about 300 members, after 2 month from A17 the numer lowered to an average of 27, i guess they all were minecraft fans who couldn't understand the game, such as all the negative reviewers on steam )

- Yes the loot removed from zombies is in POs now, zombies still not having loot tho, still a fact

-Sleepers and empty city, we are agree about this

Mutaded bees were ridiculous and got replaced with vultures, ok just a matter of preference here nothing to say.

I don't like the level system of weapons cause the quality now have little to no impact on the choice, love the customization tho, with random stats i obviusly not meant the spit exploding ice spark fire thing, i would just like to see quality to influence a variety of aspect of the weapon such as damage, accuracy, reload speed ( not sure about it ), rate of fire and things like these.

-Books we are ok with it

-Trap is removed, much appreciated that you provided me a reason about it which is totally reasonable at least, same on smell system.

- i didn't critized farming, where did u see that ? i said that i've read around that they are going to retouch it and i have no hope about it, that's all

-veichle mods come in A19, well mm ok i said i loved the new veichles, but sometimes are pretty buggy and broken are they also gonna be removed aswell ?

-Yes zombies were dumb ( they were also too easy i agree ) cause mmm... zombies are known to be animals like in the common imagination. Why did they need to get X-RAYS like to remedy the problem. The fix could have been just stopping them from running in circle and punchin random things, at least to start with

-Ok caves were just a prototype and added nothing much to gameplay, still a removed feature that people enjoyed for it stay, therefore a fact.

in summary i agree with people that claim they are reworking too many things one by one, threatening the core of the game, i think they should just fix and tweaks instead of reworking too much too many things, if i have a cut on my arms that pains me a lot i will heal the cut instead of taking my arm off.

EDIT: i hated with every atom of myself the A17 but i'm happy for the A18 direction, just to clarify my position

I haven't responded yet because you ran so fast from defending the game that you practically did what you addressed to me, explaining things to something i didn't pointed out ( like the reasons or the validity of its removals), with your preference

- you said that "there are more type of zombies" which was not the argument since i just said there was generally less. then you said that zombies in the wilderness add nothing to the gameplay which is BS since in early and mid game they were a tension source for scavengers, also if bloodmoon is the central focus of the game i would just play any other generic zombies wave games.

-Yes you get clay with ground digging now, then what ? Still Clay spots are no more in the game, can't understand how you debunked this. Still a fact

- i judge the perk system cause it is what we currently have and something that yet have to comes out can't deny me from doing it.

-i did followed the diary books and the argument it's the same, something that yet have to come out can't deny an actual argument, how does this works for you knight defenders ? when some one criticized the A17 preview update you all said to shut up cause no one actually knew what would have come from it and how it would have been like once out. "wait before talking about something it's not there yet", but you can do the opposite to benefit your theses? Cheap move.

-Maps size have been reduced for performance which is not false as you said, my "false" was actually pointing at those performance which basically used to be and still being worse in some cases, also yes i played A17 and it is what prevented me and all my friends to keep playing the game ( funny fact, we used to have a big italian community on the game for about 300 members, after 2 month from A17 the numer lowered to an average of 27, i guess they all were minecraft fans who couldn't understand the game, such as all the negative reviewers on steam )

- Yes the loot removed from zombies is in POs now, zombies still not having loot tho, still a fact

-Sleepers and empty city, we are agree about this

Mutaded bees were ridiculous and got replaced with vultures, ok just a matter of preference here nothing to say.

I don't like the level system of weapons cause the quality now have little to no impact on the choice, love the customization tho, with random stats i obviusly not meant the spit exploding ice spark fire thing, i would just like to see quality to influence a variety of aspect of the weapon such as damage, accuracy, reload speed ( not sure about it ), rate of fire and things like these.

-Books we are ok with it

-Trap is removed, much appreciated that you provided me a reason about it which is totally reasonable at least, same on smell system.

- i didn't critized farming, where did u see that ? i said that i've read around that they are going to retouch it and i have no hope about it, that's all

-veichle mods come in A19, well mm ok i said i loved the new veichles, but sometimes are pretty buggy and broken are they also gonna be removed aswell ?

-Yes zombies were dumb ( they were also too easy i agree ) cause mmm... zombies are known to be animals like in the common imagination. Why did they need to get X-RAYS like to remedy the problem. The fix could have been just stopping them from running in circle and punchin random things, at least to start with

-Ok caves were just a prototype and added nothing much to gameplay, still a removed feature that people enjoyed for it stay, therefore a fact.

in summary i agree with people that claim they are reworking too many things one by one, threatening the core of the game, i think they should just fix and tweaks instead of reworking too much too many things, if i have a cut on my arms that pains me a lot i will heal the cut instead of taking my arm off.

EDIT: i hated with every atom of myself the A17 but i'm happy for the A18 direction, just to clarify my position

Come on @MadMole...release A18 so we don't have to listen to rants and can just play the game!

Come on @MadMole...release A18 so we don't have to listen to rants and can just play the game!

No one's forcing you to listen to "rants."

FFS people if you don't like reading something, skip it. It's called selective reading; most of you do it already without even realizing it.

-A

No one's forcing you to listen to "rants."

FFS people if you don't like reading something, skip it. It's called selective reading; most of you do it already without even realizing it.

-A

People log in the forum which is made to post and read people topics ---> madmole pliz release A18 i'm tired of reading.

Those people ≠ logic

Sure, left is default, right is with the brick block having a -100 density.

...but I can promise you, the devs who actually handle this stuff are already aware, there's likely some justification against it (even though some of their prefabbers use this trick too)

unknown.png

Maybe a glitch in floating point arithmetic where the number doesn't reverse and scale properly under certain conditions such as far from 0,0,0.

That's just an idle guess though. It's the first thing I'd look for if it started bugging out.

Maybe a glitch in floating point arithmetic where the number doesn't reverse and scale properly under certain conditions such as far from 0,0,0.

That's just an idle guess though. It's the first thing I'd look for if it started bugging out.

If you go too extreme on the densities you do get some triangle dorito issues, but that's why you don't go too extreme. I chose -100 but -90 or probably even -85 would have probably been sufficient.

I dunno, Alloc is VERY against density changes, but I'm not sure how much testing they have done. I did a lot waaaay back in a14 or a15 when Hal first introduced me to the concept, and I know Pille has done extensive testing, but I dunno.

Smell System was broken and doesnt seem to come back. Indeed a bit sad but the new Stealth System is i think worth the shift of focus.

The smell system was another thing that, in my opinion, was very characteristic of this game. To say that it being gone and not coming back is sad is an understatement, especially since I think the devs mentioned at some point that they were removing it temporarily just because they wanted to work on it at a later alpha (correct me on this if I'm wrong).

In the original trailer of this game, it was stated that the zombies would have the ability to see, hear and smell the player in the world, and I remember thinking it was a really cool concept back then, since I can't really recall any other zombie media that featured zombies that could use their smell.

It was a really interesting mechanic that sparked many fun scenarios. If you were looting an apartment building at night, for example, and you found a stew, you had to make a decision.

Does anyone remember the creepy noises that zombies made whenever they "sensed" the player nearby? Everytime I would pop out some food to eat, the growlings would run a chill down my spine.

...but I can promise you, the devs who actually handle this stuff are already aware, there's likely some justification against it (even though some of their prefabbers use this trick too)

unknown.png

My guess is it causes some vertice errors in some cases. But I definitely use that magic still when making prefabs. 😎

People log in the forum which is made to post and read people topics ---> madmole pliz release A18 i'm tired of reading.

Those people ≠ logic

If the Fun Pimps release A18 with serious bugs or unbalanced it only leads to frustration among the players.

They want to avoid a bumpy start like with A17. So just have some patience. I think it will pay off.

If you go too extreme on the densities you do get some triangle dorito issues, but that's why you don't go too extreme. I chose -100 but -90 or probably even -85 would have probably been sufficient.

I dunno, Alloc is VERY against density changes, but I'm not sure how much testing they have done. I did a lot waaaay back in a14 or a15 when Hal first introduced me to the concept, and I know Pille has done extensive testing, but I dunno.

The devs definitely use density to create all of the natural looking terrain slopes. So you are correct that they probably already know about it.

unknown.png

Really offtopic now, but what does density even do in regards to blocks? Was some time ago since I've messed with modding blocks, and I figured you are experienced enough to know ins and outs. Thank you in advance Guppy. :-)

would it be possible to add in an addition tutorial quest line once we reach the trader? like maybe add in some npcs that ask for resources or food or crafted items or even do some repairs or upgrades around the area? they can even explain where it might be possible to find such items like most rpgs do. if the trader can't be used how about those shanty town PoIs?

would it be possible to add in an addition tutorial quest line once we reach the trader? like maybe add in some npcs that ask for resources or food or crafted items or even do some repairs or upgrades around the area? they can even explain where it might be possible to find such items like most rpgs do. if the trader can't be used how about those shanty town PoIs?

I'm waiting for the "fix the stations" quests for the trader. After getting a traders stations all fixed, somehow losing your main fort from a Wandering Horde of Demo Zombies, would not necessarily be the end of the game.

unknown.png

Thanks! I hope Joel will see this one... maybe the dev team just needs some boss pep talk... :smash::laugh:

Archived