Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Thank you TFP for taking your time and creating a game that is very enjoyable.....people talk about this being nerfed that being useless anymore......if you are searching for perfection, that is like trying to find the end of a rainbow....enjoy the game and come to the realization every game has ups and downs to it. We are playing a game imaged in the minds of those who are creating it. I enjoy the variety the game offers I have never come across a game i like every aspect of it but i have found 7 days to be a game worth every penny and enjoy greatly the building in this game. just keep doing what you do TFP.

whiners you just keep on whining won't get you very far in life

Thanks, and welcome aboard!

I briefly had fantasies of a beautiful garden made with plate, half block, and full block planters.

Even thought you could use the new block shape selection thingy for the planter block.

But no... my dreams have been Gazzed.

Plants are able to be on multiple levels with the octagon shaped voxels. Maybe a planter

could be faked somehow using that type block? (I'd bet no on that idea.)

One idea would be to add a fertilizer item and then you upgrade ground with it, and craft plots with it. Then you wouldn't waste nitrate repairing traps, but honestly I just want to keep it as is, we're in content lock and fiddling with this ♥♥♥♥ will just set us back. modders can easily restore the old way if they are married to it for now, I don't want to break content lock because a few angry guys who haven't even tried it aren't happy.

Both you and Guppycur sound like the two who complained when the starter motor for cars was invented. "Oh Woe, you have killed cars for ever... Why did you remove the crank when we could have both!

You have ruined cars forever...

And the guy selling fodder for horses is going: Yeah! Whatever they said! :)

Hmm, hopefully it is done right and not gamey. If the player has no way to counter the new behavior, it will feel like a cheap trick .

Its 10x more forgiving than the old zombies run in the dark stuff we used to do that was pretty cool. Its just enough to make you shart a bit, but not full on crap your pants :D

142737184654.jpg

MM, after the return of books, when libraries and bookstores again became a very tidbit, you need to introduce a zombie librarian into the game, who will guard all this wealth!

It seems to me that this person (

) very easily got all these books, diagrams and recipes! =)

He ate them and you harvest him to gain books :)

Who knows, perhaps they're all already playing at the easiest difficulty at TFP and still dying plenty, which is why they're having this idea of making the game easier for new players.

...because if they're not playing on the easiest difficulty then indeed, they really should simply lower it instead of lowering the challenge bar. It seems like they're terribly afraid of a new player dying an "unfair death" and writing a knee-jerk negative review on Steam. Dying and learning from the mistake seems like something they want to avoid entirely for new players. Which is pretty strange in a survival game that's not precisely meant to be a casual, relaxing experience, really.

How is setting the default difficulty level down a notch dumbing it down for hardcore?

Even the worst of TFP staff/testers are way better than a noob, so if guys that have been playing it for 5 plus years think its too hard then its too hard.

I started a new game, I died once a day the first 3 days, and I used to never die from about a12-a16. 17 I died in pois. All these new deaths are in the wild by ninja animals, or zombies coming when I barely dropped in a hole to grab a loot chest. They hear see and come from miles it seems. I even stealth mined, but maybe it was a random horde that fell into my pit and raped me.

Anyhow this is getting old, we're addressing cheap deaths, not making the game easier, its harder than 17 in some very good ways.

I started a new game, I died once a day the first 3 days, and I used to never die from about a12-a16. 17 I died in pois. All these new deaths are in the wild by ninja animals, or zombies coming when I barely dropped in a hole to grab a loot chest. They hear see and come from miles it seems. I even stealth mined, but maybe it was a random horde that fell into my pit and raped me.

Anyhow this is getting old, we're addressing cheap deaths, not making the game easier, its harder than 17 in some very good ways.

But why are those cheap deaths? It's not like they're spawning right behind you as soon as you turn your camera away, right? That would be cheap and need addressing. They may be very silent when walking, but they're not running at you day 1, and nothing stops you from staying alert and often checking your surroundings. If a new player dies like that, he'll learn from the mistake and know he needs to check his 6 more often.

Wolves, sure, they can be a bitch because not only they're silent but they also run and frequently cause bleeding. That's fine to address it by making them more noticeable with sounds and such.

But why are those cheap deaths? It's not like they're spawning right behind you as soon as you turn your camera away, right? That would be cheap and need addressing. They may be very silent when walking, but they're not running at you day 1, and nothing stops you from staying alert and often checking your surroundings. If a new player dies like that, he'll learn from the mistake and know he needs to check his 6 more often.

Wolves, sure, they can be a bitch because not only they're silent but they also run and frequently cause bleeding. That's fine to address it by making them more noticeable with sounds and such.

Its cheap when you can't hear an agro sound and they were nowhere in sight. Like the noise from fighting the zeds alerted them and they came from nowhere.

Anyhow I'm still dying on nomad, so you hardcore guys should like it. The first 3 days are pretty tough, after that you start getting gear and have a better chance, and getting more gear gets easier once you have SOME gear.

Its cheap when you can't hear an agro sound and they were nowhere in sight. Like the noise from fighting the zeds alerted them and they came from nowhere.

Anyhow I'm still dying on nomad, so you hardcore guys should like it. The first 3 days are pretty tough, after that you start getting gear and have a better chance, and getting more gear gets easier once you have SOME gear.

"let me at em, I'll splat em.."

older people should catch the reference

How is setting the default difficulty level down a notch dumbing it down for hardcore?

Even the worst of TFP staff/testers are way better than a noob, so if guys that have been playing it for 5 plus years think its too hard then its too hard.

And I thank you for this change. Ninja animals rarely kill me in-game (unless I have a hunting rifle or a blunderbuss, or no gun at all), but in my previous world I died within the first 4 minutes to a ninja wolf, and on night one, the game send me a pack of ninja wolves. Not fun.

And I thank you for this change. Ninja animals rarely kill me in-game (unless I have a hunting rifle or a blunderbuss, or no gun at all), but in my previous world I died within the first 4 minutes to a ninja wolf, and on night one, the game send me a pack of ninja wolves. Not fun.

Yeah nobody likes a cheap death. I don't mind dying when I took risks I didn't need to, and I don't think most players do. I mean it sucks but it sucks 500x worse when the game robbed you. We're trying to minimize those moments where its just complete bs.

Yeah nobody likes a cheap death. I don't mind dying when I took risks I didn't need to, and I don't think most players do. I mean it sucks but it sucks 500x worse when the game robbed you. We're trying to minimize those moments where its just complete bs.

I agree, and again, thank you. Although I must ask, have these changes also been applied to (ninja) zombie dog hordes?

Also, I'm just curious, have wandering hordes changed at all in A18? I'm just curious because in A16 they were quite irritating and somewhat overwhelming (especially before nightfall), but, just in my opinion, they were somewhat "lacking" in A17. You know, a horde of zombies that is 6 zombies strong is no longer a horde, but a mini-horde. :p But if nothing has changed, no worries! So long as we don't get wandering hordes 2-3 times a day like in A16. Lol

Both you and Guppycur sound like the two who complained when the starter motor for cars was invented. "Oh Woe, you have killed cars for ever... Why did you remove the crank when we could have both!

You have ruined cars forever...

Very poor analogy. The starter motor and crank perform the same function if I'm correct.

Planter boxes are beautiful blocks that both snap to other blocks and function as farming patches to seed.

Removing farming with a hoe and tilling the wild land is nothing remotely similar to crafting a box and seeding it.

You guys still dont understand this by now? There is a limit to how much can be added to the game. Development/engineering, especially in the early phases is alot of the addition/subtraction until everything comes together how the product is supposed to perform.

A good example of this is the all the block changes/consolidations that have been done.

Once the game is gold will subtraction will stop/reduce.

Try reading back through the pages. MadMole clarified it, I get it, I don't like it and perhaps it will show when A18 releases if others don't like it, but the matter is settled.

Stop digging up old posts of mine stating myself or others don't get it, when I have explicitly stated, three times now that I do.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the MF bug count at? Sorry if I missed it

I think MadMole's latest count was 23 MF 😊

Although that was last night (my time) so it may be less now.

Try reading back through the pages. MadMole clarified it, I get it, I don't like it and perhaps it will show when A18 releases if others don't like it, but the matter is settled.

Stop digging up old posts of mine stating myself or others don't get it, when I have explicitly stated, three times now that I do.

- - - Updated - - -

I think MadMole's latest count was 23 MF 😊

Although that was last night (my time) so it may be less now.

My bad. Wasnt my intention to dig up old posts, its hard to keep up since this thread has been moving very fast recently. 😅

Archived