Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes I need to choose my words more carefully. It sounds like crap on the surface, but in the context of a year of changes, better ai, rage zombies, everyone feeling too much pressure, it was a good decision. Feels like lots of biome zeds yet. Did you know its so thick we had to add "invisible animals" as a hack to thin it down? Like the lowest number is so high that we spawn invisible animals that die instantly just to keep the numbers reasonable. Sucks but we'll gut that code soon enough. Even on the minimum setting its a lot and with bread crumbs and better ai, "feels the same or worse" I should say.

Cool! I'm really looking forward to playing a18.. still playing the witcher 3 though.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries... rock on :D

Lol you betya!

Speaking about rock; got any favourite bands?

How is improving farming bad for the survival experience? Sorry but we don't want players to crawl over broken glass to do things in the game. Now its easy to understand, how does that make it bad? Try explaining to someone new how to farm. Just do it. Please respond to me and lets watch how ridiculously long the conversation is going to be.

We've been through this before. Its a sharp stick. Now its usable by anyone, without a wiki and a 50 step process. FFS its farming, not rocket science. Why should I need a forge to start a farm? WHy would I need a cement mixer to make fertilizer. That ♥♥♥♥ was lame, now its fun, simple and easy to learn and use. Some people are just married to clunkly old crap and like crawling over broken glass I guess. If that one thing is a deal breaker to play this game you need your head examined or to download a mod that restores legacy farming.

There it is again calling loyal players to get there "head examined". You said that to me when I told you that concrete textures don't belong on house walls.

There it is again calling loyal players to get there "head examined". You said that to me when I told you that concrete textures don't belong on house walls.

Did you? Because if I was your therapist I would work with you on not being offended so easily. Then we’d solve some algebraic equations together. ;)

What is it to me? It's more removal of complexity for the sake of... I dunno, based on your post I'd guess someone's OCD.

I don't get why you don't enjoy the complexity. This game's entire fanbase was built on it.

Will you get a larger fan base from the casuals? Probably. So it's a viable business decision to dumb down the game. But to me, since you asked, it's missing out on the fun.

OCD Joel wants plants ONLY in blocks. No one complains about planting seeds on the naked ground. Make the talling standout more if that's the issue. It only became a problem when we tried to put it inside. You need head examined for complaining about the removal of a basic feature. The thing about having a voxel world is to do what you want with it and make it dynamic. But what do I know I need my "head examined".

Very poor analogy. The starter motor and crank perform the same function if I'm correct.

Planter boxes are beautiful blocks that both snap to other blocks and function as farming patches to seed.

Removing farming with a hoe and tilling the wild land is nothing remotely similar to crafting a box and seeding it.

Do either myself or Guppy need to insult your intelligence to explain why?

To one person, farming (starting a car) one way is equal to farming (starting a car) another way because the end results are the same.

To another farming (starting a car) one way is completely different than farming (starting a car) another way because the process is different.

So the car analogy is very close.

OCD Joel wants plants ONLY in blocks. No one complains about planting seeds on the naked ground. Make the talling standout more if that's the issue. It only became a problem when we tried to put it inside. You need head examined for complaining about the removal of a basic feature. The thing about having a voxel world is to do what you want with it and make it dynamic. But what do I know I need my "head examined".

-A

Yeah, the devs say stuff like that and it's perfectly acceptable and when I tell someone to go away or not to speak to me I receive veiled threats in the forms of forum warnings.

Remember, MadMole was the one who wants people to 'get off their ass and work for stuff', the very same MadMole who has changed an aspect of farming because crafting a hoe is just 'too much work, too complicated.' 😂

The devs ignore a lot of player suggestion in favour of their own vision, and in most cases it turns out all the better for it. But what they need to do is take their halos off once a week and remind themselves they aren't making this game just for them. This isn't a passtime.

They are appealing to a market, of which the playerbase may really not take to some of the changes that are coming.

This was yesterdays discussion, and again, I will give Roland his due - balancing does need to be experienced to be judged.

But this interference with farming is not a balance issue. It's a removal of one feature, and an addition of an item which lies firmly on the crafting side of things.

And who knows? Perhaps Roland will come down on me for more 'Doom and gloom' for my pointing out this is something which has certainly annoyed me and may annoy plenty more and as such may turn us off the game. Maybe he will be understanding. Either way, it's just my harmless opinion and post release will illuminate or dim my take on this.

A side issue for me is that if the playerbase don't take to the new arrangement, the devs may be put in a position where they will need to revert to the prechanged farming mechanic - which is going to consume development time from A19.

MadMole sounds like he isn't budging on this change for now though.

(As a disclaimer I have no idea how much time that would be. Yet even a second taken from future development reversing a bad decision prior is valuable time nonetheless.)

It pains me to say it, but no matter how much logic we use, no matter how well we craft our argument, no matter how much we kick or scream, TFP is not going to change farming back. At least, at this time.

We can only hope once it get's pushed live, there will be enough feedback to encourage to make changes. I don't hold much hope for that, because most of the player base who enjoy that type of depth appear to have moved on to other games, and the bulk of current players seem to be millennials with short term attention spans.

I'm sure it'll be fine (as long as I can mod it to make it better.)

-A

See, here is were ignorance and arrogance don't mix well

Block Walls – If you were building middle-class homes in mid-century Phoenix like John F. Long and Ralph Staggs, chances are you were framing your walls with concrete block.

Read more at: https://arizonareport.com/phoenix-home-construction/

To one person, farming (starting a car) one way is equal to farming (starting a car) another way because the end results are the same.

To another farming (starting a car) one way is completely different than farming (starting a car) another way because the process is different.

So the car analogy is very close.

To address the 'analogy' if farming is the equivalent of starting a car, then ok sure lets run with that.

Manual cranking vs electrical starting.

Manual cranking is the obvious tedium and slower means of reaching the goal - starting the car.

Tilling the land with a swipe of the hoe and throwing in a seed being the more tedious in the analogy.

Electric starts being the faster, easier farming. And the digging, crafting of soil and fertiliser, and of the box, and then the placement and then seeding being the easier and more convenient means?

(Being considerate of those who enjoy larger, open farms.)

I'm not going to go on about this issue after this comment, but don't see how it's a poor analogy? 🤔

Yeps. After being told multiple times what TFP wants the game to look like and the atmospheric feel should be and still keep on "but i want that cookie!!!!", i guess some "head examination" is a really (REALLY) good advice. ;)

Cheers

To address the 'analogy' if farming is the equivalent of starting a car, then ok sure lets run with that.

Manual cranking vs electrical starting.

Manual cranking is the obvious tedium and slower means of reaching the goal - starting the car.

Tilling the land with a swipe of the hoe and throwing in a seed being the more tedious in the analogy.

Electric starts being the faster, easier means of farming. And the digging, crafting of soil and fertiliser, and of the box, and then the placement and then seeding being the easier and more convenient means?

(Being considerate of those who enjoy larger, open farms.)

I'm not going to go on about this issue after this comment, but don't see how it's a poor analogy?

You're still stuck on just the process while some only care about the end results.

I’ve been noticing a lot of Ninja wolves posts and my thought is to maybe make the forest biome into two different biomes. One with wolves and with out. Or keep the forest biome with wolves and make a new biome that is even more beginner than it.

This is something for later Alphas not now tho

I don't want to get started, learn the ropes, then suddenly realize it was just a tutorial only to start over for real. We already have a safe zone you spawn in, it is fine.

But you have to do the basic starter quests all the time. You can skip them, but that will cost you xp points..

Can something be done in that regard?

Archived