5. Wait to grow

6. Harvest

1. Craft Planter

2. Place Planter

3. Plant seed

4. Wait to grow

5. Harvest

See where it’s less complex?

I can use the same argument. If I go back further, there would be at least two more steps.

Your forgetting the immersion aspect and the fact that you plant without making a box first. Those are the important parts.

Cheers,

Loc

1. Use hoe to change to farm soil

2. Plant seed

3. Wait to grow

4. Harvest

1. Craft Planter

2. Place Planter

3. Plant seed

4. Wait to grow

5. Harvest

Not seeing where it's less complex?

Add to 17.4: Craft hoe , and they are almost equal.

Of course, we could need to add "gather nitrate, rotten flesh and wood" to the A18.0 one too.

I'd say they are about equal. The box beeing a bit more friendly for integrating into buildings, and the old method felt more logical and natural. I guess some people have as hard a time to think outside the box as i have to think inside of it.

And no, i am not against the new box. I think quite a lot of ppl are going to like it.

Say it isn't so :( I really thought it was coming back in A18. I'll have to find where in the world I heard it.

...I really have no idea, but I'm trying to use reverse psychology and MM's disdain to get him to prove me wrong, because the mechanic in itself was quite nice and will be missed.

1. I want them to make it able to plant on the ground.

2. More seeds

3. Buffs for food

3. Make it so you can grow mutated plants like a mad botanist using radiated crafted seeds and weird fertilizer.

4.Make it so we can grow organic plant turrets and add sprinklers

5. Plant turrets would poison zombies.

Add to 17.4: Craft hoe , and they are almost equal.

Of course, we could need to add "gather nitrate, rotten flesh and wood" to the A18.0 one too.

I'd say they are about equal. The box beeing a bit more friendly for integrating into buildings, and the old method felt more logical and natural. I guess some people have as hard a time to think outside the box as i have to think inside of it.

And no, i am not against the new box. I think quite a lot of ppl are going to like it.

Yeah, I read the many pages of #gardengate with half rolled eyes, page after page. I personally made a lot of gardens on rooftops, I'm a night-time gardener, so the new method sounds great to me. The old dirt diamonds always made it look weird and I had to add blocks around it to make it half decent looking.

But holy heck were people over reacting to a system they have yet to play with. I'm just gonna wait, but I think I will prefer it, I am definitely happy about getting Press E to harvest back. And the hoe was a waste of an inventory spot once you set up a garden for the first time, so no loss there. Some mix of each method would be best, if they could pull that off, but I for one like the sound of the new method more than the old.

I only have one big question/concern:

What will the huge cornfields at the Navezgane farm look like now?

We do not know until we can play it, or hear from those who have access. Word from MM was that he wanted all the farmland POI's to have dead crops. If he only meant the ones in RWG, or also including the cornfields in Navezgane was not clear.

the same ground, but all dead. so will punch to gather plant fibers. only player placed items will most likely be boxed. because having all plants boxed would look like crap. wild blue berries, wild goldenrod

One bedroll is way too limiting. Not unlimited, and maybe the grass bedrolls decay and you need a bed for a perma spawn location. Be nice to plop a grass bedroll down outside a poi and still have your fort bed. Or place one for a pal and he can spawn near you when you both join a new server.

Would it be possible just to make it a one time use thing? So either you can place it near a building you're looting and if you die, you can spawn there once, otherwise it's gone and you have to make a new bedroll.

I guess I just don't like the idea of it being an easy 'cheat' every time to spawn in either this or that area. Make it need some extra cost (time to craft another one, for example).

Anyway, question for @madmole or @roland :

Ehm, sorry if this has been mentioned/answered already(have been lurking on this thread but really can't remember): are any new electrics such as advanced circuits(OR/AND/OR/XOR etc)/breakers/sensors planned for the future alphas, as I pressume A18 is already content-locked?

I know this maybe isn't the right place or time to ask that, but with addition of so much content in a18, one can only hope for some new electric stuff, as that would be awesome for some playstyles. Thank you in advance. :-)

While I would love the idea of this, I can't imagine what 7 days could profit from this system. Mind you, I haven't really used that much of electricity since it's introduction.

Back then, whenever the player had a smelly item in their backpack a buff would show up to indicate that zombies could smell them.

Even further back a little smell icon would show up on the minimap radiating from your little arrow and you could actually see other players' smell icons on your minimap even if they weren't friended. Their arrow was invisible but their smell could be seen.

1. I want them to make it able to plant on the ground.

2. More seeds

3. Buffs for food

3. Make it so you can grow mutated plants like a mad botanist using radiated crafted seeds and weird fertilizer.

Yes, that would be a better direction. There's a thread that madmole is gathering recipes for higher level cooking that includes using 4 or more items including at least one canned item.

the same ground, but all dead. so will punch to gather plant fibers. only player placed items will most likely be boxed. because having all plants boxed would look like crap. wild blue berries, wild goldenrod

ah, that makes sense.. however... ALL dead??? Man, that is just wrong, ♥♥♥♥. I used to love trotting through there and grabbing some corn along the way. Although I like the new boxes coming for player farming, this part is not good news at all. So, if they found a way to bring ground based back somehow then I hope they do.

Also, if I can now press E to harvest my garden, can I also please, pretty please, also do so to pick cotton and flowers in the wild? I usally run around with my bow in hand, I hated having to switch to something else in my toolbelt so that I could hit a ♥♥♥♥ing flower, the result was I just didn't collect anywhere as much as I used to.

Why is all the corn dead if the flowers and blueberries etc aren't? That seems unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Even further back a little smell icon would show up on the minimap radiating from your little arrow and you could actually see other players' smell icons on your minimap even if they weren't friended. Their arrow was invisible but their smell could be seen.

Oh, that's interesting, now I can see why peeps who experienced that now miss it.

1. Find a hoe

2. Find or make fertilizer

3. Use hoe to change to farm soil

4. Plant seed

5. Wait to grow

6. Harvest

1. Craft Planter

2. Place Planter

3. Plant seed

4. Wait to grow

5. Harvest

See where it’s less complex?

I can use the same argument. If I go back further, there would be at least two more steps.

Your forgetting the immersion aspect and the fact that you plant without making a box first. Those are the important parts.

Cheers,

Loc

I'm not arguing that 16 was more complex because it was. When comparing it to 17.4 it is actually making it more of a challenge when you look at the ingredients required.

I'm glad they're adding fertilizer back. The hoe isn't really necessary. I've built gardens in real life. I dig up some earth with a shovel. Build a box around it. Place a protective cover on the bottom. Add soil and fertilizer. Plant seeds. I have never owned a hoe.

edit: I would like to add that I would still like to see a non-planter version you can place in/on the ground to blend in so it looks exactly like the current farm blocks. Soil and fertilizer mixed together minus the wood.

I'm not arguing that 16 was more complex because it was. When comparing it to 17.4 it is actually making it more of a challenge when you look at the ingredients required.

I'm glad they're adding fertilizer back. The hoe isn't really necessary. I've built gardens in real life. I dig up some earth with a shovel. Build a box around it. Place a protective cover on the bottom. Add soil and fertilizer. Plant seeds. I have never owned a hoe.

edit: I would like to add that I would still like to see a non-planter version you can place in/on the ground to blend in so it looks exactly like the current farm blocks. Soil and fertilizer mixed together minus the wood.

My point was is doesn’t really matter what alpha your comparing. Farming is being treated as an inconvenience or something that is quote “optional”, instead of being an important aspect of the game you can progress in. It, like other systems, are being chipped away for the new meta...looting.

Also, the only ones who could ever own hoes are TFP. Zazing! :highly_amused:

Edit: I think I’ve expressed my concerns enough about this. I’ll hold out to see if MM changes his mind or wait for A18.

Loc

One idea would be to add a fertilizer item and then you upgrade ground with it, and craft plots with it. Then you wouldn't waste nitrate repairing traps, but honestly I just want to keep it as is, we're in content lock and fiddling with this ♥♥♥♥ will just set us back. modders can easily restore the old way if they are married to it for now, I don't want to break content lock because a few angry guys who haven't even tried it aren't happy.

Hey, that's a good idea. Because it's promoting time spent into what feels like a different mechanic. I know clicking on a block isn't different, but because it's a different tool and result, it feels like it.

Leaving it as it is for now is okay for now, but please understand that most of us loved the more in-depth gaming style and differences the game offered. That's what impressed me about early game. Not just zombie killing and looting.

its the weekend... devs enjoying it with families and the crumb system does not work the way you think... catch faatal's attention if you can after the weekend... maybe he can enlighten the topic. :)

)

So... yes, a crumb system is nice... BUT...

ALL of the Devs are taking a break THIS weekend... FOR... NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

Oh, all the signs are there, getting completely rested for the final push and the following working weekend of hotfixes!

So, Monday is it for us!!! Somebody called it first, was it Guppy? Good call whomever!

So... yes, a crumb system is nice... BUT...

ALL of the Devs are taking a break THIS weekend... FOR... NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

Oh, all the signs are there, getting completely rested for the final push and the following working weekend of hotfixes!

So, Monday is it for us!!! Somebody called it first, was it Guppy? Good call whomever!

Is that enough time to test the two builds MM hasn’t played yet? I’m holding my hype for now.

Loc

Archived