Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes I agree. I wanted to get good rocket gunplay first.

i WILL say, in A17, might just be me, but rockets are only good for regular HE rounds, Frag rounds are not the best. but it is fun entering a quest POI and the first thing you do is have someone lead all the zeds to a door and then you blow it up and say " ok NOW we can go in"

Yes, get off your ass and explore and you'll have 500 meat in your boxes. I do quests and kill everything along the way. Get off the roads and go to weird corners of the map with nothing interesting and you will surely spawn new animals. You clear the chunk out and they don't respawn for some time.

I find hunting in the remote parts of a map and around sunset/dusk to work nicely. also the trader quest will eventually take you to Bob's Boars or the butcher shop or the Farm - so lots of meat.

Rick and I agree that the ISS is too complicated. That other guy did it, not to say he was bad, he's a great designer but could make a turd sound fun in a meeting. Unfortunately now is not the time to gut ISS. A19 we'll probably do a straight forward simple health and stamina system. A lot of guys try to get tricky and think its cool but at the end of the day complicated designs always fail. If people can't understand it, its just not good for the game.

:/ I hope you don't change it to much.

Really, the only thing you nee to do is have the players MaxHealth slightly replenish overtime.

Drop the regular bandage in needing to replenish the MaxHealth bar and use it just to stop bleeding.

Want to heal your MaxHealth faster? use a medicalBandage, medkit, eat, drink and so on.

The need to use a 'bandage' to recoup your MaxHealth, even if you are 'Not' bleeding, is what's confusing people and the crux of the problem.

You need food and water to replenish your MaxHealth and Health overtime? Logical.

You need a 'bandage' to recover your MaxHealth even when you are not bleeding? Not logical.

Where did you get this information? LOL. Ok I get what you are saying, I'll have a look at it, but you shouldn't expect a pea shooter to be badass. If they feel underpowered I can certainly give them a buff, but I'm pretty sure the damage is about like a mid tier SMG.

I feel they are ok, I mean, you can make a automatic turret that distinguishes between friends, enemies, zombies...that is pretty good for an post-apocalypse scenario

Would someone be able to share some more details regarding drawbridges in Alpha 18? They are a key part of my group’s base building and we (mostly me) would like to know if future base designs would need to be an odd number of blocks in order to keep the new drawbridge centered.

I don’t recall hearing any new details mentioned in the recent streams, but I did see Joel’s tweet from earlier this month mentioning a powered drawbridge being five meters wide. Does the powered drawbridge replace the current manual four-meters wide one? Can the powered drawbridge be operated manually? Is there a four-meter version of the powered drawbridge? Does the five-meter drawbridge have the same height/length as the old one or is it longer/taller?

It's a game-balance feature that we don't have brass-catchers now, so there's no reason that you couldn't limit the catchers to only the turrets. I missed the talk about mining to make brass, but if that's a relatively unlimited resource, then I suppose the turrets aren't so bad.

-Morloc

Its the one thing you have to go out and get in loot, so I want to keep it that way.

:/ I hope you don't change it to much.

Really, the only thing you nee to do is have the players MaxHealth slightly replenish overtime.

Drop the regular bandage in needing to replenish the MaxHealth bar and use it just to stop bleeding.

Want to heal your MaxHealth faster? use a medicalBandage, medkit, eat, drink and so on.

The need to use a 'bandage' to recoup your MaxHealth, even if you are 'Not' bleeding, is what's confusing people and the crux of the problem.

You need food and water to replenish your MaxHealth and Health overtime? Logical.

You need a 'bandage' to recover your MaxHealth even when you are not bleeding? Not logical.

It does heal over time, or at least with some natural healing. If we change it it might be just dumb it down like it used to be but with no wellness. Its kind of integrated fairly heavily so changing it isn't a light decision and won't happen right now.

I feel they are ok, I mean, you can make a automatic turret that distinguishes between friends, enemies, zombies...that is pretty good for an post-apocalypse scenario

Yeah its just funny how sometimes one person acts like he has definitive information. Ok so everyone you play with doesn't like turrets. Thats 3 out of millions.

Anyhow we're going to add telemetry to the game in A19 so we can get real stats back, like % of people who eat glass, how many people cook grandpas elixers, etc. Just a ton of data to help us focus on underutilized features and balance.

It does heal over time, or at least with some natural healing. If we change it it might be just dumb it down like it used to be but with no wellness. Its kind of integrated fairly heavily so changing it isn't a light decision and won't happen right now.

"Natural Healing Perk" should just be an 'additive' to what the player should already have. You shouldn't need to spend the points, just to get the basic natural healing increase.

Just saying, the player should already have a "natural healing" deal, without needing to buy the perk. Unless they want to increase the speed of it's recovery.

Just my opinion is all, and I understand you have more pressing matters to mess with.

Don't bother we don't use polls unless we're looking for feedback. We're not on this topic. Its completely fine as is, wires add a post apocalyptic vibe of make shift work being done, and if you want to hide them you can go to the work of hiding them by building access points.

Yeah, I also want them to stay like it is now, I just wanted to move the talks about the wires to another thread.

Would someone be able to share some more details regarding drawbridges in Alpha 18? They are a key part of my group’s base building and we (mostly me) would like to know if future base designs would need to be an odd number of blocks in order to keep the new drawbridge centered.

I don’t recall hearing any new details mentioned in the recent streams, but I did see Joel’s tweet from earlier this month mentioning a powered drawbridge being five meters wide. Does the powered drawbridge replace the current manual four-meters wide one? Can the powered drawbridge be operated manually? Is there a four-meter version of the powered drawbridge? Does the five-meter drawbridge have the same height/length as the old one or is it longer/taller?

It replaces the 4 meter version. It cannot function without power, you can trigger it anyway you choose, with motion sensors like I did, or pressure plates, or a switch. It might be a meter taller now, I don't know for sure.

"Natural Healing Perk" should just be an 'additive' to what the player should already have. You shouldn't need to spend the points, just to get the basic natural healing increase.

Just saying, the player should already have a "natural healing" deal, without needing to buy the perk. Unless they want to increase the speed of it's recovery.

Just my opinion is all, and I understand you have more pressing matters to mess with.

I think they do but its seriously very slow. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I also want them to stay like it is now, I just wanted to move the talks about the wires to another thread.

Fair enough, further discussion of wires being hidden/shown is off topic now in this thread. I've already stated our feelings on it, and most likely won't change.

I think they do but its seriously very slow. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, they do in the entityclasses. It's just set really, really, low. like 1 point per hour.. lol :D

I can see it maybe set for 1 point, for every 2 in game hour, but not a RL hour lol.

Edit: just as a suggestion I would set it to:

<passive_effect name="HealthMaxModifierOT" operation="base_add" value="0.0125"/>

It feels nice, not overbearing, but enough of a change while playing the game to matter, without messing up the current system.

Yeah its just funny how sometimes one person acts like he has definitive information. Ok so everyone you play with doesn't like turrets. Thats 3 out of millions.

Anyhow we're going to add telemetry to the game in A19 so we can get real stats back, like % of people who eat glass, how many people cook grandpas elixers, etc. Just a ton of data to help us focus on underutilized features and balance.

I've definitely seen many other styles of turret usage among my friends and other players. Some wait and save them all for later stage Blood Moon tower defenses, typically as back-ups for if/when things get over-run. While others, like me, put at least one or two up somewhere in/near our base as soon as we can. Is usually one of the first higher priced items I buy from traders as early game as I find one. Having just one aimed at my front door has saved me a ton of trouble many times, I love just hearing a few shots and then going back to what I was doing. Though I do put them on a switch, always, in case I want the XP for myself. This is why I am excited for the new perk(and/or read a book?I forget.) that lets you get some XP for turret kills. For anyone that uses turrets, in whatever method or capacity, this is awesome news.

Not going to happen, then people will want them on guns, and at that point you might as well turn on CM and grab bullets. Brass is the only resource you have to go find once mines are established.

Well, it is not a bad idea for an unique weapon. I remember a solar powered weapon in FO with low damage that doesn't need bullets. A weapon that gives a percentage of just the casings isn't half bad. Or even a perk. 1% of casing retrieval. Sounds cool.

Archived