Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

That's not what I'm seeing. I've eaten food and my health remains at 56/100.

In fact, I just took painkillers and the buff says 2m, but my health remains at 56????

Or are painkillers not 'medicine' in this case?

Ah, so it's resistance. So if the temp is 120F and my desired temperature is 80F and I have a hat that gives heat resistance of 10, then I need to find some more clothing that gives me heat resistance of 30?

Again, this doesn't seem right because everything I'm seeing as a positive heat and cooling resistance. If I put on a jacket, I'd expect it to add to my discomfort in the heat?

You need to heal your max health separately from your red health. If its blackened out you need to use the plain bandages to restore the black part, THEN heal with food or medicine.

I'm not sure if this works for A17 or if it actually works at all. It could be just a coincidence. When I was an admin for a few years back in A16 I used to use the command "killall", if I remember correctly, from time to time. For whatever reason this seems to help fix the issue of animals not spawning in enough. I believe I did this a few times in single player in A17 and seemed to work.

Try it out maybe it can help. Honestly have no clue if this actually helped or not so do not quate me.

killall does not kill non aggressive animals on non-modified 7dtd as i show in video

(sorry about the black square... i forgot my webcam was off... but video is on a17.4b8)

On the abundance of animals or lack of......there is a server config item for setting animal spawn numbers. If you’re on a popular server and there isn’t enough animals, have the admin raise animal spawn. I tweak ours depending on player numbers so never have an issue though I haven’t found the sweet spot of not too many, not too few.

They weren't horrible, but there was a turkey stew or something that if you heated it up on your little bunsen burner thing it was pretty good.

My favorite one was the Chili Macaroni. throw the contents of the MRE in to that heating pouch add water and it cooked. MMMmmm Chili Macaroni was good. You guys had to use burners to warm the food up, damn. Technology sure has come a long way. All you need now is water and it cooks itself lol.

As a web designer by trade, I'm always making sure that my arrogance of what I think works best doesn't get in the way of user friendliness. Nobody wants to (or should need to) to read help files. Nobody had to read help files to figure out what to do in previous alphas because the whole system was logical. Now it's not, and that is why the same questions keep popping up.

Rick and I agree that the ISS is too complicated. That other guy did it, not to say he was bad, he's a great designer but could make a turd sound fun in a meeting. Unfortunately now is not the time to gut ISS. A19 we'll probably do a straight forward simple health and stamina system. A lot of guys try to get tricky and think its cool but at the end of the day complicated designs always fail. If people can't understand it, its just not good for the game.

I've been meaning to try it again, I played about 6 hours when it first came but some of the mechanics were confusing, like Alchemy and advanced combat.

regarding Witcher 3, i also gave up for those same 2 reasons.

but later gave it another shoot, and after 1-2 ~ hours of reading the info-tips and a bit of in-game practice, it all seemed trivial/intuitive to me. I can clearly remember not enjoying at first but cant explain why i felt that way now. xD

It is a REALLY good game. 50+h and not even close to finish it or getting bored. taking your time getting immersed with it and doing things in your own pace is amazing.

But twitter says you 1%'rs are ruining the game for the main streamers.

Fine someone else can ruin it. maybe they can get their options to just select a base they want. Progressively paying more dukes for better bases and just click on build and bamm there's their base all set. Now they just have to pay off their loan from Duke or whatever... Anywho it was just like my opinion man. :)

@MM,

Thank you for fixing the lights. It was such a let down to get power going and its like, um.... yeah torches are better.

Also Spot lights do suck in A17 so i hope you find the experience subpar and fix.

@MM, UnholyJoe, and Zombiesurvivor, and all other vets, thank you for your service.

Semper Fi

killall does not kill non aggressive animals on non-modified 7dtd as i show in video

(sorry about the black square... i forgot my webcam was off... but video is on a17.4b8)

Thats weird, it used to kill all entities.....I do not recall our server ever having modified any commands but i could be wrong.

now I'm curious ima jump in game and figure this out.

EDIT: sorry i remembered incorrectly. its "killall animals"

Thats weird, it used to kill all entities.....I do not recall our server ever having modified any commands but i could be wrong.

now I'm curious ima jump in game and figure this out.

No need. Its been hostiles only for quite some time now.

if (entityAlive != null && EntityClass.list[entityAlive.entityClass].bIsEnemyEntity)

Cheers

Really good to hear you've progressed to the electrics MM. Looking forward to hearing about your experiances with traps!

One other bit about Spotlights I've run into; their base ~legs. Seems I always have them up fairly high so they get pointed downward and wind up with the base-legs casting rather big shadows (I usually mount them on 1/4 blocks to avoid even larger shadows).

I'm guessing that since they share the same mechanic to aim as the turrets they can't use the advanced rotation to allow wall or ceiling mounting?

You can unlock the full rotation in the blocks xml., and ts one of the first things I do in ever new alpha. Aiming them can be weird if they are upside down, but I also dislike the shadows, and have seen spotllghts mounted on ceilings in real life. It also doesn't matter if you unlock the rotation in mid game.

<snip>

Ok so correction.

I figured it out. I was indeed remembering incorrectly.

I would use the command "killall" and then I would use the command "killall animals"

Just tested commands still work. far as my theory that it fixes animals not spawning, again not sure if it actually had an effect but i did this for couple years and always felt like it worked and all the feedback I got from the players seemed to confirm it always worked. again, it might of always have been a coincidence. I ran those 2 commands atleast twice a day for the server.

I think I even had a chat with Dollie or Twigg regarding this. Not sure if they ever looked in to it. back when A17.0 dropped or A17.1

Ok so correction.

I figured it out. I was indeed remembering incorrectly.

I would use the command "killall" and then I would use the command "killall animals"

Just tested commands still work. far as my theory that it fixes animals not spawning, again not sure if it actually had an effect but i did this few couple years and always felt like it worked and all the feedback I got from the players seemed to confirm it always worked.

killall doesnt take parameters. So thats a placebo. It still wont kill any friendly animals.

Cheers

I just ran the command killall animals it worked. I'll do it again to to double check.

EDIT: Verified again "killall animals" works in A17.4

i just did killall animals in my current a18 and no... it does not kill animals as prisma states. can you pass of that good stuff this way that you are drinking :)

Its not better, its safer. At the end of the day you'll have this rare occasion where you had to eat more food than normal and your still going to have 10000 bowls of stew in your chest. Its just a small step towards food being a little more relevant and food poisoning more than a another 20 second worthless debuff as it is in 17. Don't like it buy the iron gut perk.

I understand the mid-end game desired effect of the food-poisoning design, and i like it a lot.

Yet i wonder about the implication on early game worst case scenarios:

consider this - you are low on hp and hungry early game, and was very unlucky finding animals/food so far.

if u eat something crappy and get sick u get very little hp back , puke, starve and lose more hp and calories than u had to begin with? wont it be a potential death loop until u manage to find canned food in loot?

up to a17 i avoided rotten / uncooked foods always. even the perk recipes that make them semi-edible.

now it sounds like they are even more useless then before.

if the common scenario %-wise is that it is safer to starve than eat crappy food in a low hp / starving situation, why would we ever use them to begin with? wont it make those food items useless? rotten / uncooked / semi-edible food usually give low calories and hp compared to normal food, meaning u have to eat more of them to survive making it almost a certainty to get sick and end up worse than u started as far as i understand the mechanic, thus making those item ~same as eating broken glass ? ;)

i just did killall animals in my current a18 and no... it does not kill animals as prisma states. can you pass of that good stuff this way that you are drinking :)

lol Maybe that command was removed i dunno. I'll make a fast youtube video showing it works for me at least and post a vid.

I'm drinking Blueberry Rasberry soda, this is good stuff but can't be that good lol ;)

EDIT: nevermind I forgot i never installed my screen capture software. I had to do a clean install of windows 10 the other day. I really do not feel like installing it right now and reprogramming the software it'll take an hour jsut for that. So no video coming. Maybe someone else can upload a vid showing the command works.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

doesnt matter... here is one from a17.4b8 showing it doesnt work...

i even went back to a16.4b8 and tried it.

Rick and I agree that the ISS is too complicated. That other guy did it, not to say he was bad, he's a great designer but could make a turd sound fun in a meeting. Unfortunately now is not the time to gut ISS. A19 we'll probably do a straight forward simple health and stamina system. A lot of guys try to get tricky and think its cool but at the end of the day complicated designs always fail. If people can't understand it, its just not good for the game.

Small details can change perception a lot. The grey and black background is simply too similar and the black background is often invisible in low light. Just putting a white border around the bar space and making the grey a lighter shade would have made it a lot easier to grok.

There is more that could have been done, for example a red health icon could have popped up whenever your max health goes below 75%, the black health bar could have been replaced with small red crosses on black background ... And the most effective system to explain a GUI nowadays are hover popups because everyone knows to look for them if something needs an explanation

Too bad, I like the A17 health system.

tldr; It is an unusual system, so more effort would have been necessary to (visually) explain it.

There is no bug there. You can raise intellect independant of level. But you need both values to be above specific values to buy Advanced Engineering.

Since you are only level 18, you can't buy AE even though your intelligence is good enough.

Yes, but when I press 'buy' and the message comes up just above the belt items, it doesn't have the correct description of why you can't buy the perk. It says my intelligence isn't high enough, when it's in fact my skill level that's not high enough.

Edit: Ah, MM says that A18 doesn't use skill levels, just the intelligence (or main skill of the perk). That's good. Thanks MM.

all i am wanting to point out here is that... the "search" (which DOES work in a18) is only for discovered journal/tips, it wont or cant show a journal and its contents if you did not discover it... unfortunate but its designed that way because many times while fighting the tip used to show up at the wrong moment so now its there to read later when you are safe to do so.

will there be an in game help system? .... i dont know... ask joel or rick or chris. :)

Good to know the search is sounding somewhat functional in A18.

Thanks, UHJ

killall doesnt take parameters. So thats a placebo. It still wont kill any friendly animals.

Cheers

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, "placebo"? Killall.....every zombie dropped dead infront of me. I then spawned in a bunch of wild life and executed the command killall animals and they all dropped dead.

Second time i verified it I ran the command listallents before executing the command and ran it again after killing them all just to verify. Even the console window listed every zombie as dead and killall animals also listed them as dead...so....

Visually confirmed as well as the console confirming it.

maybe unholyjoe is right and whatever I'm drinking is making me trip then lol.

EDIT: note, I also just did a cleanest possible install of 7d2d last night but never played it. No mods (not that I would ever mod this game as I injoy bug hunting and mods add a veriable that is not needed when looking for bugs) or edited files. 100% pure vanilla game files. Did not even mess with options yet.

Yeah Yeah I tell everyone laugh it up, yes I look for bugs in this game for the fun of it. lol I'm a weirdo what can I say. Friends think its weird as well that I derive fun out of bug hunting. *shruggs shoulders* :)

EDIT2: Just thought of something. Even though i cannot make a vid at this time i can always take screenshots and post if you want. Just sayin'.

Well looks like I've lucked out again, last year I booked a week off at Halloween hoping to play some long game solo in A17 but obviously it didn't drop.

This year I booked off the week for end of August for A18 thinking it would be out, but unless it drops for streamers this Friday it looks like I've blown it again.

Oh well, looks like a week of Solo A17.4

Question is do I go ahead and book Halloween week off for A18.x (bearing in mind I have give 6 weeks notice for holidays.)

Archived