Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Well looks like I've lucked out again, last year I booked a week off at Halloween hoping to play some long game solo in A17 but obviously it didn't drop.

This year I booked off the week for end of August for A18 thinking it would be out, but unless it drops for streamers this Friday it looks like I've blown it again.

Oh well, looks like a week of Solo A17.4

Question is do I go ahead and book Halloween week off for A18.x (bearing in mind I have give 6 weeks notice for holidays.)

sorry... MM stated he wasnt giving no more guesses... people take date guesses too serious.

@Madmole: Did you ever get a chance to look at the spotlight? The new light tweaks look SO much better than a17's!

As far at the auto turret's strength, when they add the a19 mods, maybe they can add some turret mods? (And extended from that thought, could dye be added to a mod slot in a light to tint it to create the colored light idea mentioned a few pages ago? That kind of makes some consistency sense, since many things also have a dye slot now.)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, "placebo"? Killall.....every zombie dropped dead infront of me. I then spawned in a bunch of wild life and executed the command killall animals and they all dropped dead.

Second time i verified it I ran the command listallents before executing the command and ran it again after killing them all just to verify. Even the console window listed every zombie as dead and killall animals also listed them as dead...so....

Visually confirmed as well as the console confirming it.

maybe unholyjoe is right and whatever I'm drinking is making me trip then lol.

EDIT: note, I also just did a cleanest possible install of 7d2d last night but never played it. No mods (not that I would ever mod this game as I injoy bug hunting and mods add a veriable that is not needed when looking for bugs) or edited files. 100% pure vanilla game files. Did not even mess with options yet.

Yeah Yeah I tell everyone laugh it up, yes I look for bugs in this game for the fun of it. lol I'm a weirdo what can I say. Friends think its weird as well that I derive fun out of bug hunting. *shruggs shoulders* :)

Not laughing. But killall animalls does nothing other then just killall. The code doesnt lie.

killall kills all hostiles. So all zeds and all animals marked as hostile. Nothing more nothing less.

public override void Execute(List<string> _params, CommandSenderInfo _senderInfo)
{
	for (int i = 0; i < GameManager.Instance.World.Entities.list.Count; i++)
	{
		EntityAlive entityAlive = GameManager.Instance.World.Entities.list[i] as EntityAlive;
		if (entityAlive != null && EntityClass.list[entityAlive.entityClass].bIsEnemyEntity)
		{
			entityAlive.DamageEntity(new DamageSource(EnumDamageSource.Internal, EnumDamageTypes.None), 99999, false, 1f);
			SingletonMonoBehaviour<SdtdConsole>.Instance.Output("Gave 99999 damage to entity " + entityAlive.EntityName);
		}
	}
}

List<string> _params are the param(s) passed on the killall command. As you can see its NOT used at all in the code. So you can pass whatever you like after the killall command. It wont change anything. Thats why i called it a placebo.

EntityClass.list[entityAlive.entityClass].bIsEnemyEntity is the check if the entity found is a hostile one and if so it will give damage of 99999.

Cheers

sorry... MM stated he wasnt giving no more guesses... people take date guesses too serious.

If memory serves he states that quite often at this stage of the release cycle... only to give a guesstimated release date which everyone takes as though it were carved in <redacted to prevent another page of lithographic lampoons> :-)

You need to heal your max health separately from your red health. If its blackened out you need to use the plain bandages to restore the black part, THEN heal with food or medicine.

I really like the stamina/hp mechanic TBH, and the smart way they also reflect hunger/thirst.

mb just consider adding a 2 stage "tutorial quest" that is triggered when 1st getting injured, that explain how to heal the black bars separately, and then the hp. sounds simple enough and noobs friendly to me.

regarding Witcher 3, i also gave up for those same 2 reasons.

but later gave it another shoot, and after 1-2 ~ hours of reading the info-tips and a bit of in-game practice, it all seemed trivial/intuitive to me. I can clearly remember not enjoying at first but cant explain why i felt that way now. xD

It is a REALLY good game. 50+h and not even close to finish it or getting bored. taking your time getting immersed with it and doing things in your own pace is amazing.

Yeah I'll give it another shot, I'm better at pushing through sticking points now than I was some years ago if I think a game looks like it would be fun.

<snip>

Do you want screenshots?

I do not really want to waste my time getting them, uploading, then providing links for no reason.

I never lie. killall animals works for me just fine. I visually see it happen and console shows it happening. Hell I can even provide the log for it if you want.

EDIT: correction to my previous post. command i ran to verify was listents not listallents

Do you want screenshots?

I do not really want to waste my time getting them, uploading, then providing links for no reason.

I never lie. killall animals works for me just fine. I visually see it happen and console shows it happening. Hell I can even provide the log for it if you want.

EDIT: correction to my previous post. command i ran to verify was listents not listallents

You're not getting it.

Killall animals works, but so would Killall poop. They'd have the same effect.

The parameter isn't used. Killall + anything is just killall, which well, kills all.

You're not getting it.

The parameter isn't used. Killall + anything is just killall, which well, kills all.

i never said killall plus whatever.

2 commands I ran

"killall" <-----------kills only zombies on my screen

"killall animals" <----killed all the animals on my screen.

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind I do not get paid for this lol.

You're not getting it.

^ this. Well not all to be exact, but only enemy entities ;)

Cheers

^ this. Well not all to be exact, but only enemy entities ;)

Cheers

from what is in a18 (typing in console help killall)

killall (all enemies)

killall alive (all EntityAlive types but players)

killall all (all types but players)

best to what i remember is... killall is not to kill players... that would be a major issues itself if it did.

i never said killall plus whatever.

2 commands I ran

"killall" <-----------kills only zombies on my screen

"killall animals" <----killed all the animals on my screen.

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind I do not get paid for this lol.

Yes. Killall killed all the zombies on your screen because that's what was on your screen. It would have killed hostile animals too.

Killall animals killed all the animals on your screen because that's what was on your screen. Had you zombies on your screen then, they would have died too.

interesting. I do not have a copy of A18. I'll post screen shots for you though. give me 10 minute brb.

The easiest way to settle this is, unless I’m missing something, to:

1) Spawn a deer, type in killall in the console

2) Spawn a deer, type in killall animals

Report what you see.

Hehe nice work!

Take your time with the release.. I started playing the Witcher 3 last week.. That'll keep me occupied for a while.

Amazing game, have fun. :)

Rick and I agree that the ISS is too complicated. That other guy did it, not to say he was bad, he's a great designer but could make a turd sound fun in a meeting. Unfortunately now is not the time to gut ISS. A19 we'll probably do a straight forward simple health and stamina system. A lot of guys try to get tricky and think its cool but at the end of the day complicated designs always fail. If people can't understand it, its just not good for the game.

I kind of like it. I think the game needs a better help system than the journal however.

Roland, could you make a poll in a separate thread for the Wire Hiders? I wanted to make one, but seems only moderators can do so.

Yes. Killall killed all the zombies on your screen because that's what was on your screen. It would have killed hostile animals too.

Killall animals killed all the animals on your screen because that's what was on your screen. Had you zombies on your screen then, they would have died too.

roger that. thank you for actually explaining in detail instead of just dismissing me. Verified. yeah it killed not all animals just ones clasified as hostile.

So my hypothesis of excuting the command killall still stands. lol....all this jsut to try and help others spawn in animals. (laughing)

The easiest way to settle this is, unless I’m missing something, to:

1) Spawn a deer, type in killall in the console

2) Spawn a deer, type in killall animals

Report what you see.

sorry i was in game missed this. Guppycur explained it and i ran the command again. It failed to kill a deer but killed all other animals listed as hostile

the whole point of this was just run the dang command killall every once in a while and see if it fixes animal spawning..lmfao. :)

EDIT: friend just responded to me. Indeed he added custom commands to the server so that killall animals will actually kill all animals regardless.

So by killing all animals on the server some how, it would seem not saying its a fact, fixes animals not spawning in. for a short time. I ran this command almost daily on the server for years.

Rick and I agree that the ISS is too complicated. That other guy did it, not to say he was bad, he's a great designer but could make a turd sound fun in a meeting. Unfortunately now is not the time to gut ISS. A19 we'll probably do a straight forward simple health and stamina system. A lot of guys try to get tricky and think its cool but at the end of the day complicated designs always fail. If people can't understand it, its just not good for the game.

International Space Station?!

Ahah lol, I agree with you :)

Madmole, now that you got electricity up and running in your game you should mess around with the auto turret. It simple lacks fire power and is a waste of 9mm ammo. Could use a damage buff or redesigned.

Its 9mm, what do you want it to do? Seems to destroy zeds pretty fast IMO, at least basic ones.

@MM,

Thank you for fixing the lights. It was such a let down to get power going and its like, um.... yeah torches are better.

Also Spot lights do suck in A17 so i hope you find the experience subpar and fix.

@MM, UnholyJoe, and Zombiesurvivor, and all other vets, thank you for your service.

Semper Fi

Your welcome :)

A sample size of one (your experience) does not mean much. In my current game (also sample size one) I did not see a single animal from around day 4 to 8. I had zero food and was staving. Finally after wandering in the forest for a while I saw a deer and managed to kill it after having to chase it with my gimped stamina.

Randomness makes a huge difference in how people experience the game.

It is in part randomness, but also the way the animal spawning has been setup (not sure if changes are made to the xml setup in A18 though so going by what has been the norm for 2 alphas). Animals have a dummy spawn on their list, a hack that Gazz borrowed from me to thin down animal spawns. It works great if you would use a daily respawn (the way I use it). But since tfp is using a 4 day respawn system it does not work as great because each dummy spawn means the animal died, so no spawn for the rest of the 4 days. So far that is exactly what you would want, but here comes the thing: The animals the player does not kill but run of to far are despawned, put back into the pool and respawned again somewhere with a new random roll. Guess what, some spawn as dummies and die. This repeats over day 1 for while until either you killed of animals or the system did. Usually by mid day most animals in your region are dead.

If you keep exploring a lot, uncovering new chunks you will find animals there, if you stick around to the same spot you will likely not see much animals (easy to not see those rabbits, chicken or snakes).

The problem is in how biome spawners work and offer no granularity and the way entities are spawned from the list (the list offers no option for nothing, unlike Loot for example). Still hoping this system gets this option to not spawn something and to set a count per spawner rather than 1 that actually spawns a lot more than the number you used.

Archived