Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think you can go to the locked symbol thee it should tell you what requirements need to be met

Ah, yes, there it is. Although that then makes the 'error' (why I can't skill to that yet) incorrect. The lock says that I need Intellect 5 and Level 25. Well I unlocked level 6 of Intelligence before, however I'm only on level 18.

Madmole's been pretty good with the forum lately. I wonder if he'll take note of this for the fix? Not a MF bug, though. Just one to fix whenever.

If you eat food, you can only heal up to the shadow bar. (The shadow bar is damaged health, thus effectively reducing your max health).

To remove the shadow bar, use medicine which gives max health.

That's not what I'm seeing. I've eaten food and my health remains at 56/100.

In fact, I just took painkillers and the buff says 2m, but my health remains at 56????

Or are painkillers not 'medicine' in this case?

The higher the resistance, the better you can tolerate the heat/cold. So more is better.

Ah, so it's resistance. So if the temp is 120F and my desired temperature is 80F and I have a hat that gives heat resistance of 10, then I need to find some more clothing that gives me heat resistance of 30?

Again, this doesn't seem right because everything I'm seeing as a positive heat and cooling resistance. If I put on a jacket, I'd expect it to add to my discomfort in the heat?

I saw that someone said "smart zombies aren't immersive" a week ago.

1. Zombies aren't real anyway and can vary.

2. We have to be challenged somehow in an ever-changing voxel world.

3. The game can not support the number of dumb zombies to make the game equally difficult.

4. Since when is having smart A.I ever a bad thing?

I'd rather have the game be dynamic and a challenge where the zombies hunt you than mindlessly blow away brain dead zombies just because the developers had an idea what zombies are supposed to act like. Resident Evil 4 had "zombies" shooting guns and talking. I kinda prefer that more than zombies because it brought more to the table.

From A12 to A15 the game had plenty of dumb zombies and ran better. A16 introduced sleepers which sounded great on paper, but I think could have been implemented better, but still had plenty more dumb zombies than A17 and ran perfectly fine.

If the game can't support lots of zombies now, then something else should be cut in my opinion (even graphics) because gameplay is more important.

I also found the new stamina/health system confusing at first and I'd had it thoroughly explained to me beforehand. :-)

There's something about it that's either counter-intuitive or poorly communicated which is making it harder than it should be. I've no idea exactly what part is confusing nor what could be done to make the information easier to comprehend. There's an issue here, I just don't know what it is goddamit! If it's an issue for a veteran what hope does a n00b have?

YES! Exactly. I like the system...even though I don't understand it. But what I don't like about it is that I don't know why I'm not gaining health through food or painkillers.

Read the ingame journal on those topics?

As a web designer by trade, I'm always making sure that my arrogance of what I think works best doesn't get in the way of user friendliness. Nobody wants to (or should need to) to read help files. Nobody had to read help files to figure out what to do in previous alphas because the whole system was logical. Now it's not, and that is why the same questions keep popping up.

YES! Exactly. I like the system...even though I don't understand it. But what I don't like about it is that I don't know why I'm not gaining health through food or painkillers.

The block bar represents the cutoff point for max health. The more your max health drops the longer that black bar gets.

easy way to restore max health is use regular bandages. this will not give you health but will restore max health so that you can use other things to restore your actual health back up.

That's not what I'm seeing. I've eaten food and my health remains at 56/100.

In fact, I just took painkillers and the buff says 2m, but my health remains at 56????

Or are painkillers not 'medicine' in this case?

Ah, so it's resistance. So if the temp is 120F and my desired temperature is 80F and I have a hat that gives heat resistance of 10, then I need to find some more clothing that gives me heat resistance of 30?

Again, this doesn't seem right because everything I'm seeing as a positive heat and cooling resistance. If I put on a jacket, I'd expect it to add to my discomfort in the heat?

It's better to wear a robe in the desert than to be naked, the robe provides protection from the sun.

It's better to wear a robe in the snow than to be naked, the robe provides protection from the heat loss.

Does the robe provide protection against hot biomes? Yes. Does the robe provide protection against cold biomes? Yes.

That's the logic behind the temperature system. The detrimental affects are caused by different factors that aren't mutually exclusive.

I would also like the animals to be tweaked. Far too many of them. Within the first week you have a meal (well, meals) fit for a king and all his servants.

A sample size of one (your experience) does not mean much. In my current game (also sample size one) I did not see a single animal from around day 4 to 8. I had zero food and was staving. Finally after wandering in the forest for a while I saw a deer and managed to kill it after having to chase it with my gimped stamina.

Randomness makes a huge difference in how people experience the game.

Read the ingame journal on those topics?

Yep. It has nothing that explains the HUD (Heads Up Display) like stamina and and health.

It's got a section on First Aid, and sure enough painkillers aren't listed. So now my question about painkillers is, when do they work? I've definitely taken them and they've added health before.

And there's nothing on food, either.

EDIT: There's information under the Survival tab. Okay, NOW I see that there's a red, grey and black bar. From my current situation I can't see a grey bar on the game (although in some lights the black looks grey, so I thought it was just red and grey before).

The search function isn't working in the journal. Again, another bug but not game stopping.

Thanks for pointing me towards the right information, Roland.

No can do, I hear a wide variety of stories about this, Faatal couldn't find an animal to save his life, and stooped to buying the animal tracker perk, where I have hundreds of meat stacked up, and then there is multiplayer to consider.

I definitely think there's too many of them as of 17.4. We always play as a group of 3 and meat NEVER has been the limiting factor in recipes.

I wouldn't mind the abundance in numbers as much if the animals were at least way harder to kill with crude weaponry (run faster, see you from farther away). It's just way too easy from day 1 on to be stacked on meat because animals are way too easy to hunt.

As a web designer by trade, I'm always making sure that my arrogance of what I think works best doesn't get in the way of user friendliness. Nobody wants to (or should need to) to read help files. Nobody had to read help files to figure out what to do in previous alphas because the whole system was logical. Now it's not, and that is why the same questions keep popping up.

Thanks for this, Hotpoon. Yes, I agree. At least nobody should need to read the help files on something as basic as health and food in the game. Or if help is needed, then there should be a graphical demonstration of it, maybe at the start of the game.

And yeah, even though I've worked out (for the most part) the GUI's (workbenches and things), it's still not straightforward and was a biatch to learn because it wasn't intuitive.

Having said that, I can't really think of how TFP's could do it that much different and easier.

Well, here's one suggestion: with the perks bar that I was having trouble with, instead of having to hover the mouse on the lock item of each tier, it would be good to have a ? symbol there for more information, so you are aware that the area does something. Currently it's not obvious you can hover the mouse there for more info.

A sample size of one (your experience) does not mean much. In my current game (also sample size one) I did not see a single animal from around day 4 to 8. I had zero food and was staving. Finally after wandering in the forest for a while I saw a deer and managed to kill it after having to chase it with my gimped stamina.

Randomness makes a huge difference in how people experience the game.

Yea... but it is very possible, and I'd say very likely, that your experience is the 1%.

While on multiplayer, animals are rare, in singleplayer I currently have 650 meat... 100 grilled meat and 100 meat stew and I don't hunt anything anymore for 40 days (on day 80) .

Just because animals are super common, doesnt mean it isn't possible to not find one for a few days.

But I think they should be 1/10 for singleplayer and about doubled for multiplayer (so don't make it dependant upon spawnlimits)

Ah, yes, there it is. Although that then makes the 'error' (why I can't skill to that yet) incorrect. The lock says that I need Intellect 5 and Level 25. Well I unlocked level 6 of Intelligence before, however I'm only on level 18.

Madmole's been pretty good with the forum lately. I wonder if he'll take note of this for the fix? Not a MF bug, though. Just one to fix whenever.

There is no bug there. You can raise intellect independant of level. But you need both values to be above specific values to buy Advanced Engineering.

Since you are only level 18, you can't buy AE even though your intelligence is good enough.

Yep. It has nothing that explains the HUD (Heads Up Display) like stamina and and health.

It's got a section on First Aid, and sure enough painkillers aren't listed. So now my question about painkillers is, when do they work? I've definitely taken them and they've added health before.

And there's nothing on food, either.

EDIT: There's information under the Survival tab. Okay, NOW I see that there's a red, grey and black bar. From my current situation I can't see a grey bar on the game (although in some lights the black looks grey, so I thought it was just red and grey before).

The search function isn't working in the journal. Again, another bug but not game stopping.

Thanks for pointing me towards the right information, Roland.

all i am wanting to point out here is that... the "search" (which DOES work in a18) is only for discovered journal/tips, it wont or cant show a journal and its contents if you did not discover it... unfortunate but its designed that way because many times while fighting the tip used to show up at the wrong moment so now its there to read later when you are safe to do so.

will there be an in game help system? .... i dont know... ask joel or rick or chris. :)

Yea... but it is very possible, and I'd say very likely, that your experience is the 1%.

While on multiplayer, animals are rare, in singleplayer I currently have 650 meat... 100 grilled meat and 100 meat stew and I don't hunt anything anymore for 40 days (on day 80) .

Just because animals are super common, doesnt mean it isn't possible to not find one for a few days.

But I think they should be 1/10 for singleplayer and about doubled for multiplayer (so don't make it dependant upon spawnlimits)

Yes, mine could be the 1%, but it can happen. What we really need is comprehensive analytics hooked up to the game, so we can track everyone's experiences and not be guessing.

Yes, mine could be the 1%, but it can happen. What we really need is comprehensive analytics hooked up to the game, so we can track everyone's experiences and not be guessing.

This is something I wanted ever since A14 I think since I hate to argue with uncertainties, because there is always that one guy who thinks hes smart by telling me my data is incomplete :D xD So go ahead :p

But until then guesses and rational conclusions based on limited evidence is the only way to try and balance it.

I'm not sure if this works for A17 or if it actually works at all. It could be just a coincidence. When I was an admin for a few years back in A16 I used to use the command "killall", if I remember correctly, from time to time. For whatever reason this seems to help fix the issue of animals not spawning in enough. I believe I did this a few times in single player in A17 and seemed to work.

Try it out maybe it can help. Honestly have no clue if this actually helped or not so do not quate me.

*fist bump* respect brother! Thank you for your service. I doubt you older cats get thanked enough once years pass since your service.

EDIT: You guys had some awful MRE's back in the day. They have come a long way since then, and i guess they have gotten even better since I got out in 2010.

They weren't horrible, but there was a turkey stew or something that if you heated it up on your little bunsen burner thing it was pretty good.

There are no level requirements now for anything, so the unlocking is absolutely straight forward, you need INT ___

Archived