Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Amazing game, have fun. :)

I kind of like it. I think the game needs a better help system than the journal however.

Roland, could you make a poll in a separate thread for the Wire Hiders? I wanted to make one, but seems only moderators can do so.

Don't bother we don't use polls unless we're looking for feedback. We're not on this topic. Its completely fine as is, wires add a post apocalyptic vibe of make shift work being done, and if you want to hide them you can go to the work of hiding them by building access points.

from what is in a18 (typing in console help killall)

killall (all enemies)

killall alive (all EntityAlive types but players)

killall all (all types but players)

best to what i remember is... killall is not to kill players... that would be a major issues itself if it did.

This.

<snip>

Would all that explain why running a custom command of killing all animals on the server at once seemed like it fixed the spawning issue? I've always been curious if it was a coincidence or it actually did have an effect.

Not sure if you have been following the discussions that took place earlier.

Would all that explain why running a custom command of killing all animals on the server at once seemed like it fixed the spawning issue? I've always been curious if it was a coincidence or it actually did have an effect.

Not sure if you have been following the discussions that took place earlier.

It only speeds up the process of getting to the max spawns/region (all spawned and dead). So i would say it has the opposite effect.

Cheers

It only speeds up the process of getting to the max spawns/region (all spawned and dead). So i would say it has the opposite effect.

Cheers

Yeah, based on what he said it kinda sounds like killing all would not help in anyway. errrr I swear I can drive myself crazy not knowing how something works or why lol. I really should just spend a month and teach myself programming to help get the answers.

I'm the type of person that has to know why stuff works the way it does and or why it doesn't, its maddening sometimes. Figuring it out in the end though is very rewarding.

This whole thing about why animals do not spawn in or do for some people is going to be on my mind for the rest of the day. Now i remember why I stopped caring about this subject regarding animal spawns lmao!

Yeah, based on what he said it kinda sounds like killing all would not help in anyway. errrr I swear I can drive myself crazy not knowing how something works or why lol. I really should just spend a month and teach myself programming to help get the answers.

I'm the type of person that has to know why stuff works the way it does and or why it doesn't, its maddening sometimes. Figuring it out in the end though is very rewarding.

This whole thing about why animals do not spawn in or do for some people is going to be on my mead for the rest of the day. Now i remember why I stopped caring about this subject regarding animal spawns lmao!

People need to move; Haid laid it out correctly as far as "how it works behind the scenes", but the net effect is that you've hunted out the area, so you need to move to a new area to find animals. How it's implemented is hacky as F, but the net effect works. Finding animals by spending half a day hunting isn't hard, you just need to take the time to do it; you can get a weeks worth of animals that way... I don't endorse the TFP method of recipes (5 meats for 1 meat), but otherwise I don't see an issue with hunger after a few days of play. Ever.

Madmole, now that you got electricity up and running in your game you should mess around with the auto turret. It simple lacks fire power and is a waste of 9mm ammo. Could use a damage buff or redesigned.

FYI: During the last stream someone had mentioned a new turret that takes 7.62 is needed to go with the 9mm and shotty ones.

People need to move; Haid laid it out correctly as far as "how it works behind the scenes", but the net effect is that you've hunted out the area, so you need to move to a new area to find animals. How it's implemented is hacky as F, but the net effect works. Finding animals by spending half a day hunting isn't hard, you just need to take the time to do it; you can get a weeks worth of animals that way... I don't endorse the TFP method of recipes (5 meats for 1 meat), but otherwise I don't see an issue with hunger after a few days of play. Ever.

I find just riding a bike around for 1 full day you will get tons and tons of meat or run early game. I've never had an issue with food, except maybe day 1 or 2 of a fresh start but thats it.

Yes, get off your ass and explore and you'll have 500 meat in your boxes. I do quests and kill everything along the way. Get off the roads and go to weird corners of the map with nothing interesting and you will surely spawn new animals. You clear the chunk out and they don't respawn for some time.

Don't bother we don't use polls unless we're looking for feedback. We're not on this topic. Its completely fine as is, wires add a post apocalyptic vibe of make shift work being done, and if you want to hide them you can go to the work of hiding them by building access points.

I'd like to see "telephone poles" to put through our player town that extend your power range while looking good at the same time.

Nobody uses the auto turret. No one. If you have a game mechanic that no one is using, don't you think that's an issue?

Where did you get this information? LOL. Ok I get what you are saying, I'll have a look at it, but you shouldn't expect a pea shooter to be badass. If they feel underpowered I can certainly give them a buff, but I'm pretty sure the damage is about like a mid tier SMG.

You can mount a relay on a pole with a cross beam that would be the same thing.

Yeah get that - we do that. The range between them is ♥♥♥♥ though. We usually have a large town with a "power plant" with generators / solar / battery banks in it. thanks for the reply, boss.

Where did you get this information? LOL. Ok I get what you are saying, I'll have a look at it, but you shouldn't expect a pea shooter to be badass. If they feel underpowered I can certainly give them a buff, but I'm pretty sure the damage is about like a mid tier SMG.

A brass-catcher would go a LONG way toward making those turrets groovy.

-Morloc

A brass-catcher would go a LONG way toward making those turrets groovy.

-Morloc

Not going to happen, then people will want them on guns, and at that point you might as well turn on CM and grab bullets. Brass is the only resource you have to go find once mines are established.

regarding Witcher 3, i also gave up for those same 2 reasons.

but later gave it another shoot, and after 1-2 ~ hours of reading the info-tips and a bit of in-game practice, it all seemed trivial/intuitive to me. I can clearly remember not enjoying at first but cant explain why i felt that way now. xD

It is a REALLY good game. 50+h and not even close to finish it or getting bored. taking your time getting immersed with it and doing things in your own pace is amazing.

You've inspired me to DL it again and give it another go, I only had 14hrs into it... Something to do while I wait for A18e to drop!...

Yeh they aren't cost effective imo; shotty turrets at least stun cops from puking.

I imagine the discrepancy is that when we shoot, we get headshots, but when turrets shoot, they just go for it... So because the difference between a headshot and not headshot is so great it's better to hand shoot.

Glad you're gonna take a look at them.

Yeh they aren't cost effective imo; shotty turrets at least stun cops from puking.

I imagine the discrepancy is that when we shoot, we get headshots, but when turrets shoot, they just go for it... So because the difference between a headshot and not headshot is so great it's better to hand shoot.

always wonder, wheres our rocket turret :p

So they shoot like Kage. Got it, why didn't you guys just say so? I'm on it :D

No idea where he gets that idea either, I have used turrets many many times, effectively. Both the 9mm and the shotgun turret. The thing with the 9mm is that it, overall, has a rather high range of effectiveness. Sometimes it can one-shot pop a Z head, done, I call that effective. Yet other times it will unload a few dozen rounds trying to hit a fat z 20 feet away missing half the shots and the ones that hit not seeming to do much damage. I do not mind this high range of effectiveness, makes it more realistic to me. I usually use them for screamer control mostly, especially when mining under my base. Sometimes I hear one shot and that is it, back to mining. Other times it fails in a rain of potato shots and I have to go up and solve it myself.

I don't think either needs a buff nor a nerf, though the ability to put all ammo types into them as an option would be nice. Actually the shotguns do accept slugs already, I tend to save those for my bedroll guard turret, which rarely goes off, just nice to have it as a last line of defense guarding my spawn location. It's also the only turret I set to shoot anyone but myself, even friends who get too sneaky:P

A 7.62 turret would be nice, buuuut I usually hoard all 7.62 for myself, then save most all 9mm and/or shotgun shells for turret use. I do however get into using the hand gun some games, but never the auto that uses 9mm, never use those, so makes it easy to save them for turrets. Even when I use the handgun and/or a shotty on my character I still save and have to share ammo for turrets. Having to do that with 7.62 ammo is gonna be hard, if/when you ever make a turret for it.

I'm looking forward to playing and experimenting with the new junk turret, as long as the other turrets are behaving properly again, as in not trying to shoot through walls, I'll be happy enough with overall turret status as-is in A18. The other electrical tweaks, like the lights now being useful, really have me itching to build new bases in A18. Oh, and the new powered doors, and all the other goodies and upgrades as well. The electrical stuff getting some love too is a really nice bonus.

...then people will want them on guns, and...

It's a game-balance feature that we don't have brass-catchers now, so there's no reason that you couldn't limit the catchers to only the turrets. I missed the talk about mining to make brass, but if that's a relatively unlimited resource, then I suppose the turrets aren't so bad.

-Morloc

Archived