Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@madmole

Are you guys gonna hire some sort of audio engineer or somebody like this? Auger, chainsaw, vehicles sounds are horrible, there should also be more zombie sounds, many FX in background like you used to have many alphas ago. It would be cool to hear some sort of songs like you can hear in Minecraft while playing, that would give the game much more depth and atmoshpere.

This 100% I just started learning sound design and it's way more hands on, into the field than I realized. If they don't have a dedicated sound designer then there is no way in hell they are getting quality sound effects. There is only so much you can do with stock sounds and music. The atmosphere greatly decreased where sound ambiance is concerned in my opinion. Older alphas had much more of a "mood" for sure.

Not saying they are bad, just unrefined.

Basically moving ranged and melee weapons about to various attributes so that if your strong in one attribute you can be pretty functional. So like pistols moved to agility as well as bows and knives as they seem to be for the quick/agile/stealthy player type. Shotguns and slegehammers for strength probably. Intellect will get a taser and a rail gun. We'll remove level gates allowing early deep specialization. Right now its you kinda have to have strength int and perception to cover melee, crafting and ranged combat, leaving the other attributes in the "I'll add them when I have points to burn" group.

Great changes. LBD is still my favorite system, but this will actually become a close second, that I can live with. This should bring about a little more variety in specializations for sure.

Guess this proves that one can turn what someone thought was an awful system into something pretty good. Moving from "I hate A17 perk system" to something "I kind of enjoy" is quite the turnaround :p Nice work on that.

The faint sounds of distant gunfire...the far off screams of a dying survivor...just more ambient sounds in general could add so much more "life" to the game...The older alphas and that ghostly baby crying and other things were a nice creepy touch that is missed...

We already have a rare schematic you need to find. What is the fundamental difference? You *know* this recipe but you still have to go find a rare thing to make it. Which is exactly how it is now except you don't know it, but you need to find the rare schematic. At the end of the day it would be a bunch of work changing something that works fine, to something nearly identical. It would add more clutter objects that have limited crafting value clogging up players inventory and be more work making these items, localization, etc.

Ran what you said through gizoogle = more pimpin'

There is no thangs up in dis biatch fo' We already gotz a rare schematic you need ta find. Y'all KNOW dat ♥♥♥♥, mutha♥♥♥♥a! What tha ♥♥♥♥ iz tha fundamenstrual difference, biatch? Yo ass *know* dis recipe but you still gotta go find a rare thang ta make dat ♥♥♥♥. Which is exactly how tha ♥♥♥♥ it is now except you don't give a ♥♥♥♥ it yo, but you need ta find tha rare schematic fo' realz. At tha end of tha dizzle it would be a funky-ass bunch of work changin suttin' dat works fine, ta suttin' nearly identical. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack. Well shiiit, it would add mo' clutta objects dat have limited craftin value cloggin up playas inventory n' be mo' work makin these items, localization, etc.

We already have a rare schematic you need to find. What is the fundamental difference? You *know* this recipe but you still have to go find a rare thing to make it. Which is exactly how it is now except you don't know it, but you need to find the rare schematic. At the end of the day it would be a bunch of work changing something that works fine, to something nearly identical. It would add more clutter objects that have limited crafting value clogging up players inventory and be more work making these items, localization, etc.

The difference is in the immersion with the game. Finding a rare item to craft a powerful item is something I can accept, like having to find some optics or a special kind of steel or fabric. But having to find a schematic every time kinda breaks with the immersion as if I have first found the recipe for how to make something I will then know how to make said thing and will make it more than once and I do not understand why the recipe, and with it the knowledge of what you just did, goes poof with each craft.

And I do see your point, it is a VERY small thing and as AtomicUs5000 points out in the post below yours, it is probably just a label issue. And yes, I understand the work that goes into making such a change. I just hope that you also see my point and all I ask is that you consider it, even if it is just a relabel of the schematic to something that would make sense going poof with each craft :)

The problem with players knowing how to craft mods on demand is they can sell them for a pretty penny, and mass produce them and hand them out like candy to their buddies. Mods are kind of a status symbol and the key to late game success IMO and I'm not sure I want players mass producing them, it takes away from the high value they currently have.

Ah ur right, it's not like mods are account bound :p

Its a tiny book icon so I doubt distinction between volumes would even be noticed, and would eat considerable atlas space to have unique ones. So a bit of a bang for the bug thing, and game limits thing. We might though, we'll have to see how it looks and plays with the same icon per book in each series.

So what your saying is 2 things.

1. If modders want to make different book covers for each volume saving you guys time doing it

And

2. You expecting people to spend time making sure which volume they have and if they have read it already or not and not just do what i do after reading a book scrap every other 1 that has the same book cover on it

I would love it if some recipes required special, loot-only components rather than schematics. I'd rather learn the schematics permanently, but still need the special components to make it. No level gates sounds great, too.

Not gonna lie, I would love to see more unique zombie behaviors. The spider zombie doesn't even climb anymore, he's more of a frog zombie. What if the stock crawlers were missing their legs, but could climb, with different pathing?

Anyway, looking forward to the new updates.

Basically moving ranged and melee weapons about to various attributes so that if your strong in one attribute you can be pretty functional. So like pistols moved to agility as well as bows and knives as they seem to be for the quick/agile/stealthy player type. Shotguns and slegehammers for strength probably. Intellect will get a taser and a rail gun. We'll remove level gates allowing early deep specialization. Right now its you kinda have to have strength int and perception to cover melee, crafting and ranged combat, leaving the other attributes in the "I'll add them when I have points to burn" group.

Dude you've had some awesome updates for the future of 7D2D in the past few days. :D Thanks a TON for the extra info! The removal of the level gate is going to be really awesome! Can't wait to have a play through with that!

The fact that it appears as though you're looking, mmm... I guess I'd word it as making all skills more relevant as opposed to "i'll add them when I have points to burn", if I'm understanding correctly, is awesome!

Rail gun? Need more details about this.

Not the first time i miss your sarcasm (still dont see it in there). Buy apologies back for not getting it (again). Starting to wonder if its your skill in sarcasm or my skill in misinterpreting that makes it go south in my head ;)

Cheers

I think it's the New Yorker/Italian in me. My gift of sarcasm was broken when it was delivered. I'm usually up front, but I agree I need to work on HOW i present it. Sometimes I think its funnier leaving out the /s but apparently thats a big mistake on my part lol

(let's really piss jackel off, and have the added bonus that he'll be even more pissed when he realizes I'm right)

Modders have a better understanding of the game and what works and what won't, so modders should have more input on what goes into vanilla. For the future. Of the game.

If you release a mod then yes, that makes you a modder.

I'm not aware of a line count or number of bytes changed that is somehow a bar for something being a mod.

If you want to propose such a system of rules and terminology I suggest you do that in the modding section.

Basically this. LOL

That was in reference to the fact that modders abandon their work. I should have been more clear to avoid any ambiguity.

It’s fine. I asked a simple question, but let me just boil it down again anyway.

Why can’t TFP simple state what the intended end game for modding is. Saying steam workshop isn’t an answer because that is simply a delivery mechanism.

Why can’t we have an official thread on what tools are used for modding that are “officially” supported?

If the answer is it isn’t decided yet fine. But instead there is non answers and just non productive “you are trashing someone and don’t have a real question”

If you don’t want to answer it that’s fine. Just say it isn’t decided. I asked very direct questions.

We're adding a firemans hat and whole fireman's almanac series so lets be grateful for that :) But the seed is planted, we'll see.

Ooooh thats awesome...with a mountable light on it...everyone has a light.

Also any new Pois for A18...maybe a small airport ...would be very cool to land the blimp!! Or the gyro!! Not really a fan of vehicles but it would be appropriate with the gyro being in game. Find a few parts , fuel, scrap an abandoned plane for a prop or engine. Just a thought. Thx.

(let's really piss jackel off, and have the added bonus that he'll be even more pissed when he realizes I'm right)

Modders have a better understanding of the game and what works and what won't, so modders should have more input on what goes into vanilla. For the future. Of the game.

I hope your toilet clogs while you have 20 pounds of the runs flowing out of you and you're on your third safety flush.

<3

What? This coming from the guy with a medieval mod, but TFP adds the wagon wheel first? (Oh, we got horses, but wagons? Dude, if I am going to make a wagon - it'll be one towed by a big tractor or somethin... and have hydraulic dump cylinders, and...)

...which have been answered a billion times.

Currently the only official tools are the ones they've provided.

You want answers to questions that are just as ambiguous as "what will the game look like when it goes gold".

Which are? What official TFP post says X tool is supported? Again, why is this issue being ignored?

Post links.

It may come as a shock but other folks are dismayed by this lack of info. I simple don’t give a ♥♥♥♥ if I piss of people by asking direct questions. You can take all the insult you want from it. It’s a valid topic.

Archived