Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I agree. I was specifically being sarcastic towards Jackel. It didn't come off properly. I was ecstatic about the BM options and block damage options. I'm not against options. I keep forgetting that everyone here takes everything to a literal degree here.

Why would any modder be against options? And like Sirillion pointed out that setting is easily blocked from a mod users access through modding. So again, i'm not against options I was using an extreme example of how taking up a cause in the name of other players isn't always the best approach to stating your own opinion.

I apologize for the confusion.

I agree though more deco blocks. I disagree no more options. The 200 percent XP setting has already wrecked any balance Im trying to maintain with my mod.

Not the first time i miss your sarcasm (still dont see it in there). Buy apologies back for not getting it (again). Starting to wonder if its your skill in sarcasm or my skill in misinterpreting that makes it go south in my head ;)

Cheers

I think he wants to be able to craft the schematics you find into a blueprint that will give you the permanent knowledge to be able to craft that mod forever once you read it (as in previous alphas).

So find a schematic to a 4x scope mod and save it until your science perk is higher. Then use that schematic as part of a recipe to craft a 4x scope blueprint which you can then read and then be able to start making multiple 4x scopes.

I would also like to see a change to this as I was like “whaaaaat?” when I noticed that the schematic was consumed with making the mods, which really makes no sense at all.

Edit: Now, this might be a bit far fetched. But what about making “Schematic Understanding” part of a Science or Engineering perk and then have a new workstation for mod making with a tool section with slots for Calipers/Micrometer, Soldering and Microscope tools or something similar.

Then one could have an extra interface where one would have to put that one schematic one wants to use and when placed it opens up the recipe or variation of recipes for crafting?

Over 100 new perks, 3 - x guns, tons of new art, major perk reorganization, lots of new or updated POIs, new random gen, occlusion culling, 1 new zombie, a new outfit to wear. I think you are undervaluing all the effort needed to bring this to light. There are some new quest types too, the perk menu is re-arranged so no more tiny fonts. We're doing a lot of polish work alongside new content to improve the experience.

I'll announce a few more things when they get underway but right now this is the jist of it.

Totally meant to comment on this... cause... well... I have to catch up to Guppy's posts somehow...

* One of my favorite things about A17 is all the new POI's. More POI's = more awesomeness. Though do you know if some of the POI's are going to be simpler than the dungeon crawls? Some more of the simple A16 POI's or really just toilet, kitchen stuff, cabinets, I think is missing form A17 to better address some of the 1st week of game play. Definitely for the first few in game days.

* In the Perk Reorganization, can you describe what you guys are focusing on? Perk Reduction (guessing no with 100 new perks), Balance, lowering gating in some areas, other stuff? Super interested in the future of perks/skills/whatever it is we put points into.

You are suggesting being able to craft these schematics yourself with a high tier yeah science perk?

@madmole

Could do it that way aswell,

But it would be better i think if we still had to use the schematics at least once to know them permanently, that way we still have to find the schematics atleast once, Maybe reading them like one does a book? but you can only "read" them to absorb their knowledge with a higher tier yeah science perk. Then once you've read one you can make them permanently if that's easier to work around. :) all only suggestions of course! I'm sure you guys will have your own ideas about all this

- - - Updated - - -

I think he wants to be able to craft the schematics you find into a blueprint that will give you the permanent knowledge to be able to craft that mod forever once you read it (as in previous alphas).

So find a schematic to a 4x scope mod and save it until your science perk is higher. Then use that schematic as part of a recipe to craft a 4x scope blueprint which you can then read and then be able to start making multiple 4x scopes.

^ Yes this is what I meant initially, exactly (just which ever idea is most effective with the least amount of work for you guys)

Its a tiny book icon so I doubt distinction between volumes would even be noticed, and would eat considerable atlas space to have unique ones. So a bit of a bang for the bug thing, and game limits thing. We might though, we'll have to see how it looks and plays with the same icon per book in each series.

I was just busting balls when you listed all the things you "ONLY" do now...hence slacker...and i saw the line of a new zombie.... fireman zombie..bit of reinforcement to your sub conscious!!!!

Posted this earlier, but figured it was more appropriate in this thread. It would be nice if a later iteration of the game easily lets you add POI's to RWG without the hassle of editing XML files yourself to add POI's to the game. Simply subscribe to a prefab someone made, and it will automatically start popping up in RWG from that point on.

Exactly. The guys with 5000 hours are screaming "more content"...

WHAT???!!!! I just got to a 4500 and NOW you're telling me I have to get to 5000 before I start SCREAMING?

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Whooops....)

To be clear, we are targeting the 50,000 hour players. Will we get them? No, maybe one or two.

Oh, boy. Math time. So I'm at about 5000 in 2 years. And that's after quitting a band.

So 50000 means (gimme a sec, carry the 1, divide by 0, ...) 20 years?! OMG!

Great. I can't do that - I'll die first. Guess I need to quit my job now. Oh, and "Ummm, sweetheart - you know that game I've been playing for a couple years..." Actually the wife thing is a joke. She's gonna be so happy when I tell her... She'll get to go on a awful lot more 'vacations'... (The game may have only cost me $20 DIRECTLY...)

Yeh, maybe players that look up to that modders are sensitive to the "look at me!" attitude of some of that modders lately? Dunno...

That comment sure did fuel some conversation... #Moddergate

I took it a couple different ways:

1. There have been a few times people (were they always modders?) DID tell other people to "just MOD it"

2. But, there is a lot of sarcasm, flippancy, rhetoric (what?), one-up-man-sip, etc. heck there's even a little self-deprecation once in a while...

3. And, maybe it could even be taken positively... (who can I pick on... Jax! cuz he KNOWS how I feel about RH...)

So, I started as a PLAYER. With a little more than 20 hours.

And then I wanted to start changing things. and I kept reading 'just mod it'. And I started editing the xml's.

And then I started playing with the overhaul mods. And wow. The things they can do. Ravenhearst is incredible. (all of the overhaul mods are - I am just singling out Jax...)

And I kept thinking - how did they do that? They had to start somewhere.

And, now, when I see a modder say "look at me!" I choose to believe that that person is saying if someone like Jax can produce something as EPIC as RavenHearst, well, maybe I have a shot...

OK, maybe Stasis78 (who got me started in XPAth!) might have been a more logical example...

; - )

Seriously, I have a library of 3000+ boxed games (600+ more on Steam). Some I probably have 500-1000 (Civ3, Civ4, Skyrim (+VR!), OPenTTD, etc.) hours in. None of them are like this. And it's because of the game, the Fun Pimps, and the modding community.

Thank you very much!

@madmole, would it be possible to overlay item icons with something that indicates how many mods are installed? Even just a +1 through +5 in the corner of the icon would be helpful when sorting through all of our crap.

Yes this shouldn't be too hard and it would be nice to know which items are modified.

Totally meant to comment on this... cause... well... I have to catch up to Guppy's posts somehow...

* One of my favorite things about A17 is all the new POI's. More POI's = more awesomeness. Though do you know if some of the POI's are going to be simpler than the dungeon crawls? Some more of the simple A16 POI's or really just toilet, kitchen stuff, cabinets, I think is missing form A17 to better address some of the 1st week of game play. Definitely for the first few in game days.

* In the Perk Reorganization, can you describe what you guys are focusing on? Perk Reduction (guessing no with 100 new perks), Balance, lowering gating in some areas, other stuff? Super interested in the future of perks/skills/whatever it is we put points into.

Basically moving ranged and melee weapons about to various attributes so that if your strong in one attribute you can be pretty functional. So like pistols moved to agility as well as bows and knives as they seem to be for the quick/agile/stealthy player type. Shotguns and slegehammers for strength probably. Intellect will get a taser and a rail gun. We'll remove level gates allowing early deep specialization. Right now its you kinda have to have strength int and perception to cover melee, crafting and ranged combat, leaving the other attributes in the "I'll add them when I have points to burn" group.

@madmole

Could do it that way aswell,

But it would be better i think if we still had to use the schematics at least once to know them permanently, that way we still have to find the schematics atleast once, Maybe reading them like one does a book? but you can only "read" them to absorb their knowledge with a higher tier yeah science perk. Then once you've read one you can make them permanently if that's easier to work around. :) all only suggestions of course! I'm sure you guys will have your own ideas about all this

- - - Updated - - -

^ Yes this is what I meant initially, exactly (just which ever idea is most effective with the least amount of work for you guys)

The problem with players knowing how to craft mods on demand is they can sell them for a pretty penny, and mass produce them and hand them out like candy to their buddies. Mods are kind of a status symbol and the key to late game success IMO and I'm not sure I want players mass producing them, it takes away from the high value they currently have.

I was just busting balls when you listed all the things you "ONLY" do now...hence slacker...and i saw the line of a new zombie.... fireman zombie..bit of reinforcement to your sub conscious!!!!

We're adding a firemans hat and whole fireman's almanac series so lets be grateful for that :) But the seed is planted, we'll see.

Posted this earlier, but figured it was more appropriate in this thread. It would be nice if a later iteration of the game easily lets you add POI's to RWG without the hassle of editing XML files yourself to add POI's to the game. Simply subscribe to a prefab someone made, and it will automatically start popping up in RWG from that point on.

Steam workshop should just auto add as many pois as you want.

@madmole

Are you guys gonna hire some sort of audio engineer or somebody like this? Auger, chainsaw, vehicles sounds are horrible, there should also be more zombie sounds, many FX in background like you used to have many alphas ago. It would be cool to hear some sort of songs like you can hear in Minecraft while playing, that would give the game much more depth and atmoshpere.

The problem with players knowing how to craft mods on demand is they can sell them for a pretty penny, and mass produce them and hand them out like candy to their buddies. Mods are kind of a status symbol and the key to late game success IMO and I'm not sure I want players mass producing them, it takes away from the high value they currently have.

Could this not be achieved by adding "rare" items to the recipe? For instance for a scope you would need optics, that could be a rare world find only and not something you can craft yourself.

Could this not be achieved by adding "rare" items to the recipe? For instance for a scope you would need optics, that could be a rare world find only and not something you can craft yourself.

We already have a rare schematic you need to find. What is the fundamental difference? You *know* this recipe but you still have to go find a rare thing to make it. Which is exactly how it is now except you don't know it, but you need to find the rare schematic. At the end of the day it would be a bunch of work changing something that works fine, to something nearly identical. It would add more clutter objects that have limited crafting value clogging up players inventory and be more work making these items, localization, etc.

Teah, I'm not in favor of craftable mods.. the whole point of still looting is to find the ones you are missing or ones you want to tinker with. In a mp game, we'd all have most of the mods we all want by day 35.

I pretty much made this exact point in another post.

to me it doesn't make sense that painting a club makes it deal more damage, yet a higher quality club doesn't

didn't you think about making quality give the 15% base increase mods currently do? and then mods only add their unique effects?

I'd like to see quality up the damage.

Archived