Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

not endurance, but stamina depends on food, did you better run 3km if you just ate?

okay still this depended on would from water as before. Have you seen the running competition? there athletes on the run eat a hamburger or something to freshen up?

The icons don't always show up on the screen... but at some point i'd like to know what my food level is....but he's not on the screen right now...

Te green stripe was more obvious ...no?

A food bar would be displaying the same information as the stamina bar, because stamina = food. So if you want to see your food level, look at how much your stamina can regen max. If your stamina can go only as much as to 70, 70 is your food level.

I'm hoping we get more new POI's in the future, as I love love exploring an apartment building or waterworks for the 50th time. Surely, the level designers have more prefab ideas?

And quests too... I know, I know, its an early access game, content is still being developed.

A food bar would be displaying the same information as the stamina bar, because stamina = food. So if you want to see your food level, look at how much your stamina can regen max. If your stamina can go only as much as to 70, 70 is your food level.

...Yes...but... this looks for me so as "look at the sun and by its position you will understand what time it is."

...but i have a watch.

(and yes of course i figured out that this is something that corresponds to something ....gray stripes and all that...yea...)

Ah well, i understood, not let us here breed chatter, perhaps this was discussed many times and framers will annoyed by such discussion...

Unfortunately for me it remained a mystery.

Thank you all, enjoy the game! :)

I'm hoping we get more new POI's in the future, as I love love exploring an apartment building or waterworks for the 50th time. Surely, the level designers have more prefab ideas?

And quests too... I know, I know, its an early access game, content is still being developed.

Sure they have more plans, in the mean time, why not try the Compopack and similar mods. People have gone to great lengths already adding plenty of new POIs.

Personally, I'm not much enjoying the new version. I'm on day 9 of this new version and have had food poisoning 5 times now; I'm not eating anything strange and I've been cooking stuff. I find it ridiculous that I'm constantly starving. I'm about to give up on alpha 18 as a wash and move on from the game till the next version. Which is sad, because I think they've made some changes that are great and they're getting the graphics looking really good. But, spending all my time looking for food, when they spawned me in the middle of BFE with only two or three small POIs nearby and zero animals, is BS (random world). The food/stamina system is really broken. I've always enjoyed 7dtd up till now, even when it was tough, but now...

Personally, I'm not much enjoying the new version. I'm on day 9 of this new version and have had food poisoning 5 times now; I'm not eating anything strange and I've been cooking stuff. I find it ridiculous that I'm constantly starving. I'm about to give up on alpha 18 as a wash and move on from the game till the next version. Which is sad, because I think they've made some changes that are great and they're getting the graphics looking really good. But, spending all my time looking for food, when they spawned me in the middle of BFE with only two or three small POIs nearby and zero animals, is BS (random world). The food/stamina system is really broken. I've always enjoyed 7dtd up till now, even when it was tough, but now...

regarding food poison, that just rotten luck mate. I have food poison like 2-3 times since exp release, and that me being desperate and eating old sandwich. I have my own rng luck in my 2nd world where I can't find enough food for first 2 week and now I got food coming out of the wazoo looting the same 3 towns.

and first day priority should always be finding a trader and a town, do all basic quest to find nearest trader, do tier 1 dig quest for food. Follow main road to a town. Then setup a base near both.

Been playing same save since A18 B139 experimental...Was able to unlock this...*flex*

bM0dDlF.png

uh oh

yeah Laz has some nice base designs, his and mine are on similar bents, I keep learning from his, seems he takes a bit from me too.

my last one bugged out, but i did get the base vid part made beforehand if you want to see it Laz.

uh oh

yeah Laz has some nice base designs, his and mine are on similar bents, I keep learning from his, seems he takes a bit from me too.

my last one bugged out, but i did get the base vid part made beforehand if you want to see it Laz.

Yep, I added wood plates like you suggested and I thin it will keep the cop spit to a minimum. 😎👍

If it's no trouble sure as I'm always looking to see if I can learn something new.

Edit: I have a new fence setup that should allow me to have more of them in parallel AND to allow me to put more barb wire overlapped...😂 Will see how it holds up...

Do you know that you can eat vitamins before a meal to avoid food poisoning? Did you buy food from the food machine at the trader? It replenishes daily and is often the food source for my first days.

Did you stay in the starting area? Even if moving around in the first days can be dangerous you should not really settle down until you find a place somewhere inbetween a trader and a town.

Yep, I added wood plates like you suggested and I thin it will keep the cop spit to a minimum.

If it's no trouble sure as I'm always looking to see if I can learn something new.

Edit: I have a new fence setup that should allow me to have more of them in parallel AND to allow me to put more barb wire overlapped... Will see how it holds up...

not worth making a post for on its own. about 3 minutes

Regarding the highlighted Part: Thank God its not the same game anymore.

7 Days to Die evolved to a really good game. While i not agree with some of Madmoles Priorites that seem to serve the Motto "streamlining", the Game itself got more beautiful, accessible and at the same time more challenging and rewarding, thanks to the Dungeon Prefabs ( Good bye 2-min-in/out-looters ) Books (Pokemon Says hello - gotta catch em all) and with lots of new Weapons and Weapon Mods that allow for experiments, customization and another Motivation to play the game longer.

I looked it up, i played A18 now longer than i have ever played Alpha 17 and no doubt it will take over my Time from A16 and 15 aswell.

Instead of critizing without any constructive arguments - or even Hints what went wrong in your Opinion - Appriciate the overall Direction 7 Days to Die went.

And even tho it changed and some things are gone, new things added: Its still that clunky Minecraft/Survival/TD Game we all fell in love with.

awww... but it's so much easier for people to say, "waaa, the game is wrecked, I'm uninstalling and going to play sim's 4 because it has so much more direction and the performance is better"

not worth making a post for on its own. about 3 minutes

Ooo weee, base looking sexy. Nothing like the smell of burnt and minced zombie meat in the morning...😂😂😂.

Edit: BTW I like how clean and organized your base is. I need to do some clean up to make it less of a rats nest lol...

- - - Updated - - -

awww... but it's so much easier for people to say, "waaa, the game is wrecked, I'm uninstalling and going to play sim's 4 because it has so much more direction and the performance is better"

Lol, Sim's 4.....

Two Quality of Life requests/suggestions.

1. Allow option to turn off start screen music. I frequently want to queue up 7DTD before playing it, or want to take a break, etc. Unfortunately, the start screen music prevents me from doing other things that use sound so I have to completely exit the application. I would much rather leave it running in the background for quicker launch.

2. Start the game in paused mode (similar to what happens when I hit escape) thus allowing me to actually begin playing when I am ready. This would allow me to do other things while waiting for the game to load. Given the long time to create and load the environment in recent iterations this feature would be really handy, especially if combined with feature request #1.

2. Start the game in paused mode (similar to what happens when I hit escape) thus allowing me to actually begin playing when I am ready. This would allow me to do other things while waiting for the game to load. Given the long time to create and load the environment in recent iterations this feature would be really handy, especially if combined with feature request #1.

Yeah, it would be great if the "Click space to start the game", would come back, especially as now RWG creating takes longer. Would help new players to not miss game time.

Hey guys, does anyone know if the iron breaker and bunker buster mods apply to other ores but they just don't say so in the description? It would make sense to me for the bunker buster to work for stone, nitrate, coal, and oil shale, and the iron breaker to work for iron and lead. I assumed they didn't but it would be logical to have one work for stonelike ores and one for metals.

Would be nice have "citynames" that appear on the ingame map. (defined by something like a generated cityname.xml)

This would allow creating a reference for cities to players. (target to go to)

Maybe also names for Regions, like "Northern Plains", that appear when hovering over an area.

The dimensions defining the regions could be simple rectangles.

Ooo weee, base looking sexy. Nothing like the smell of burnt and minced zombie meat in the morning....

Edit: BTW I like how clean and organized your base is. I need to do some clean up to make it less of a rats nest lol...

- - - Updated - - -

well, considering making a ginsu with the blade trap. 2 high. I have to not use the electric fence atm. those console spams were nasty.

will try to come up with another way to slow them down

Two Quality of Life requests/suggestions.

1. Allow option to turn off start screen music. I frequently want to queue up 7DTD before playing it, or want to take a break, etc. Unfortunately, the start screen music prevents me from doing other things that use sound so I have to completely exit the application. I would much rather leave it running in the background for quicker launch.

I don't know about number 2, but yeah the music on the menu screen is way too loud. It should be tied to the in-game music (which I have off because I'm probably listening dungeon synth or something).

- - - Updated - - -

Would be nice have "citynames" that appear on the ingame map. (defined by something like generated a cityname.xml)

HELL YES to this!

Do you know that you can eat vitamins before a meal to avoid food poisoning? Did you buy food from the food machine at the trader? It replenishes daily and is often the food source for my first days.

Did you stay in the starting area? Even if moving around in the first days can be dangerous you should not really settle down until you find a place somewhere inbetween a trader and a town.

Yeah, guess I have to change the way I play. I know about the vitamins and have had to use them, but I've only found two since I've started. In older versions I usually built up supplies at a base away from everything then go searching POIs. Looks like looting is the name of the game in a18. I'm use to building, crafting and mining in the beginning but that's a good way to starve.

Would be nice have "citynames" that appear on the ingame map. (defined by something like generated a cityname.xml)

This would allow creating a reference for cities to players. (target to go to)

Maybe also names for Regions, like "Northern Plains", that appear when hovering over an area.

The dimensions defining the regions could be simple rectangles.

I once suggested having city names appear as though you've discovered them (on screen and in the map) and you would get a decent amount of XP. It encourages exploration. Hopefully they will eventually add this, especially considering how *slow* you level up now. For a story line they could create one using snippets of paper found throughout the world (be it randomgen or a prebuilt map). Those pieces of paper could be recorded in a separate book so that one can read through easily and get a real sense of immersion.

Yes, this game can go a lot deeper.

Regarding game complexity and all that nonsense: I've only read a couple comments between now and the last few I wrote (I've been busy and this thread moves WAAY too quickly), but a game can be both streamlined and complex. Complexity doesn't translate to anything the player can see. For example, you can have a huge, diverse crafting system and it won't hurt your framerate and you don't even have to use it if you like to loot.

Just a bit of rambling below:

If you are experiencing poor performance, that isn't due to the 'complexity' of the game, but rather the hoops developers have to jump through in order to support the games physics model, which in turn is a result of having voxels, etc. Supporting a modding system, having to take into consideration older hardware, etc. all can actually result in a lower frame rate. Look no further than Rockstar's RAGE game engine. It was written in an era of Intel CPUs with few/any cores, and while the engine has adapted over time, bugs have emerged (2 in particular: If all of the threads of a CPU are running at 100%, rendering takes a nosedive, excluding 1 CPU core fixes this in RDR2, the second, related to the rendering engine not keeping up with in game events, is likely actually related to synchronization across threads. Crazy stuff!) Even the big boys have issues with this, so I don't expect TFP to deliver a perfect experience every time (though I do wish the game would perform better than it does now. Hopefully the next Unity engine upgrade will help with that.)

Having to work in Unity's constraints doesn't help either. I've built stuff in Unity and in C++ in the past: C++ development took a lot longer, but back in the day, writing a game to a compiled language as opposed to having to deal with a runtime like .NET was much faster. I've even gone down the road of implementing a partial Minecraft clone back in the days of DirectX 9. You wouldn't believe how much faster it was. I wonder what Rust/Vulkan development would be like. It almost makes me want to get back into game development, but I have absolutely no time. When I was single with no kids I had far more time for learning new languages and APIs. :)

Properly implemented, Vulkan can provide a considerable speedup as well. DX12 and Vulkan both are considerably more thread friendly (which helps on multicore CPUs), but the APIs are also more complex and multithreaded programming isn't a walk in the park either. Note that in C# and later versions of Unity there are tools to help with this, and those tools are improving, so hopefully 7 Days to Die will benefit from some of this. If not, well hopefully they make a sequel and focus hardcore on multithreading and the latest rendering APIs. Vulkan support in particular is fairly widespread. I'd be surprised if very many people who play this game have GPUs that don't support it.

Finally, if you compare the first alpha of 7DTD with today, you'll notice a huge difference in the graphics quality. This game has made huge strides visually in each alpha. The current iteration is absolutely stunning at max details. There are a couple more biomes that need an overhaul still, but the ones that have received overhaul look absolutely mindblowing. I never thought the game would get to this point.

Yeah, guess I have to change the way I play. I know about the vitamins and have had to use them, but I've only found two since I've started. In older versions I usually built up supplies at a base away from everything then go searching POIs. Looks like looting is the name of the game in a18. I'm use to building, crafting and mining in the beginning but that's a good way to starve.

Looting got more important, yes. But if you want to play as before, living near the trader (and the food machine there) is indispensible. A daily buried treasure quests gives you food and also some coin to buy either food from the food machine or other stuff. Buried treasure quest locations are always not far from the trader, so in the first days, without a bicycle, the easiest and fastest quests you can do.

If you play the newest experimental, actually investing in "Living in the Land" will help, as perking into it makes farmplots cheaper to craft (meaning more plots for the same amount of rotten meat). You still need to get out looting to collect rotten meat and a collection of seeds and/or plants.

Wnenever you have cooked food and no vitamins, eat when your stamina is halfway down (so you don't loose much if you barf) and once you reach full (or nearly full) stamina use canned food if you want to overeat.

If you got food poisoning 5 times in 9 days you were either especially unlucky or ate lots of low-grade cooked food. Try to go for the best cooked food you can make and food poisoning will be quite seldom.

Madmole has stated plenty of times in the past why its not part of the display hud. MM feels it is better to have less clutter on screen because having to much is immersive breaking, which I tend to agree and I hope they never add it in. I hope this clears things up for you my friend. :)

Yes Mr sheep lol :-P

- - - Updated - - -

It's called the compo pack. God gifted us prefabbers. God being Hal Magoli and Pille and now also Damocles . Lots of new pois and in addition with nitrogen your world is about to get a whole lot bigger (wise words of Jesus from twd R.I.P)

Try my poison removal modlet still has poison chance but if you add the right ingredient and cook it properly using the Weber 9000 you remove any poison chance. And how do you starve I get a good amount of food cans to keep me going ok

Archived