Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yeah, guess I have to change the way I play. I know about the vitamins and have had to use them, but I've only found two since I've started. In older versions I usually built up supplies at a base away from everything then go searching POIs. Looks like looting is the name of the game in a18. I'm use to building, crafting and mining in the beginning but that's a good way to starve.

Yep, choice is limited now. You must loot.

...Yes...but... this looks for me so as "look at the sun and by its position you will understand what time it is."

...but i have a watch.

(and yes of course i figured out that this is something that corresponds to something ....gray stripes and all that...yea...)

Ah well, i understood, not let us here breed chatter, perhaps this was discussed many times and framers will annoyed by such discussion...

Unfortunately for me it remained a mystery.

Thank you all, enjoy the game! :)

I don't know the name of the mod, but there is one that adds food and water bars to the ui

Yeah, guess I have to change the way I play. I know about the vitamins and have had to use them, but I've only found two since I've started. In older versions I usually built up supplies at a base away from everything then go searching POIs. Looks like looting is the name of the game in a18. I'm use to building, crafting and mining in the beginning but that's a good way to starve.

Another thing that makes the start easier, is to get 1 point in Animal Tracker. Being able to easily hunt rabbits etc., takes a lot of pressure off your need to keep looting.

A food bar would be displaying the same information as the stamina bar, because stamina = food. So if you want to see your food level, look at how much your stamina can regen max. If your stamina can go only as much as to 70, 70 is your food level.

No, not true as there is the over eating buff. You still need to go to your character stats to see how much you can eat/drink.

I don't know the name of the mod, but there is one that adds food and water bars to the ui

Yes, there are many such mods. I make these mods myself.

I saw in the code how it works in vanilla, but my problem is that i can not understand why it is done.

Why these unnecessary complications of simple things that do not cause anything but inconvenience.

I saw in the code how it works in vanilla, but my problem is that i can not understand why it is done.

Why these unnecessary complications of simple things that do not cause anything but inconvenience.

To make it more a game like other games. Don't know how to put it otherwise.

Small note for future alphas: I'll no longer be posting horde 7D2D videos (or recording them outright), due to events on YouTube taking place in January next year (that I will not name). Such is life. :/

its a PITA but their own greed got them in that predicament and now we have to suffer. :)

We can only speculate about some of the reasons, usually there are more than one. But at a guess:

1) It is simulating (and abstracting) the fact that you don't know exactly how full/fit/sated you are in reality. A real human doesn't have a fullness-meter where he can say exactly that he is at 120% fullness. Actually the display tells you two things, wether you feel healthy or it hutrts and whether you feel energized or tired, all the rest is somewhat diffuse, just like in reality.

2) Not knowing everything is part of some games, might even be usual in survival games (not sure, since I don't play many)

3) It also simulates (with a little abstracting) that the more you work the more tired you get and eventually need to eat again. More abstract is that it also heals you, but that is probably done for game balance instead of immersion. Water has a more subtle influence, just like in reality.

4) The UI shows everything you need to know and hides everything you should be able to guess. Forget to eat and you are punished later in the field. Prepare and be good. It allows for you to make mistakes and a good game should do that.

You don't seem to like that UI, I like it very much. I think it is much better than the grindy system of A16 that practically made everyone use tricks to eat as much as possible (to get the hit points up). In A16 many players should have been so obese to not even be able to leave the house. The disadvantage of the current UI is that it needs explaining because it is an unusual system. But I prefer something to have a learning curve instead of being banal.

Small note for future alphas: I'll no longer be posting horde 7D2D videos (or recording them outright), due to events on YouTube taking place in January next year (that I will not name). Such is life. :/

I'm guessing you talking about the fines youtube will start handing out..... ;)

This is going to hurt a lot of us content creators but I am happy youtube is taking a step in the right direction to protect the children from these twisted pervs out there. :)

its a PITA but their own greed got them in that predicament and now we have to suffer. :)

I was referring to the FTC, but whatever works, I guess. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing you talking about the fines youtube will start handing out..... ;)

This is going to hurt a lot of us content creators but I am happy youtube is taking a step in the right direction to protect the children from these twisted pervs out there. :)

Yep. I compare it to trying to hit a nail into a board with a sledgehammer. It gets the job done, it will cause permanent damage, but it has to be done. :p

nice, I forget which seed I'm using but there is a trader in almost every town...I love it!

we cant have that.... next thing you know, you might start having fun in the game. :)

on the lighter side tho... actually seems to fit better if while located in city limits... the random patrols make it more meaningful to get to the trader.. hmmmm :)

we cant have that.... next thing you know, you might start having fun in the game. :)

on the lighter side tho... actually seems to fit better if while located in city limits... the random patrols make it more meaningful to get to the trader.. hmmmm :)

LOL nooo....don't kill my fun :-P I agree traders within or right next to a city would compliment random patrols :)

No, not true as there is the over eating buff. You still need to go to your character stats to see how much you can eat/drink.

Well, if you overeat, you don't have to eat anyway. It's simple: see no black stamina bars? No need to eat.

And when there's less stamina, you can eat. The exact food level is shown on the UI then, so you can overfeed yourself even more if it won't be a waste.

Stamina pretty much IS the food bar otherwise, and adding a food bar would be like adding two health bars.

A18.2 All defaults except marked airdrops and 64 alive on hoard night. 3 of us playing co op and we are having a fun time.

Game playing well and balance is excellent, really enjoying the challenges.

Just did hoard night day 35 after getting base wrecked on day 28.

We rebuilt enhanced base and got reinforced concrete used. Night started off with cops, spiders and lots of military Zombies, then irradiated started flowing in and 4 or 5 demolishers, we were still battling away when the gong sounded at 4am and finally killed the last of them around 6 am.

Used all our ammo for every weapon, it was an absolute blast.

Well done TFP absolutely fantastic Alpha, loving it.

yeah hopefully there will be at least a ui option for it in the future....along with a fov slider

Two Quality of Life requests/suggestions.

1. Allow option to turn off start screen music. I frequently want to queue up 7DTD before playing it, or want to take a break, etc. Unfortunately, the start screen music prevents me from doing other things that use sound so I have to completely exit the application. I would much rather leave it running in the background for quicker launch.

2. Start the game in paused mode (similar to what happens when I hit escape) thus allowing me to actually begin playing when I am ready. This would allow me to do other things while waiting for the game to load. Given the long time to create and load the environment in recent iterations this feature would be really handy, especially if combined with feature request #1.

You can turn off the start screen music under options.

We can only speculate about some of the reasons, usually there are more than one. But at a guess:

1) It is simulating (and abstracting) the fact that you don't know exactly how full/fit/sated you are in reality. A real human doesn't have a fullness-meter where he can say exactly that he is at 120% fullness. Actually the display tells you two things, wether you feel healthy or it hutrts and whether you feel energized or tired, all the rest is somewhat diffuse, just like in reality.

2) Not knowing everything is part of some games, might even be usual in survival games (not sure, since I don't play many)

3) It also simulates (with a little abstracting) that the more you work the more tired you get and eventually need to eat again. More abstract is that it also heals you, but that is probably done for game balance instead of immersion. Water has a more subtle influence, just like in reality.

4) The UI shows everything you need to know and hides everything you should be able to guess. Forget to eat and you are punished later in the field. Prepare and be good. It allows for you to make mistakes and a good game should do that.

You don't seem to like that UI, I like it very much. I think it is much better than the grindy system of A16 that practically made everyone use tricks to eat as much as possible (to get the hit points up). In A16 many players should have been so obese to not even be able to leave the house. The disadvantage of the current UI is that it needs explaining because it is an unusual system. But I prefer something to have a learning curve instead of being banal.

1) Yes, i now, too, understood this view, but, ironically - this as times the that i perceived utterly otherwise, i as times thought that the right perception of this when these indicators are on the screen. And precisely for the reason that you described.

2) A strip of food and water is usually the standard for survival games ... this is the first time I've seen such a strange approach implemented in A13. And seen nowhere else.

3) This directly affects the stamina, and not the other state. To stamina more suited level of water. If was would so - i still would understood.

4) Yes .... but, in reality, it makes people who are diligent in this regard, constantly climb into the inventory to open the page of the character and find out exactly his statuses. I agree that for careless people it is not important. (translator! no offense)

About the UI.

for A16 has exactly the same interface as any alpha after A12. I hate this design since A13.

Although i must admit, the possibilities of modding this GUI cover all its shortcomings :)

Archived